Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The EU server will be located in the US

Comments

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Knotwood
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Actually i just can´t grab it why?

I can´t think of much reasons for a developer team to have direct access to the servers, everything can be done by remote ..  And on top of the the european internet infrastructure in Countries like Germany and espescially the Netherlands is much much better then in the US..

I foresee a lot of problems when they decide to hire european server capacity and want to transfer the game to europe...

The lag (in general pings between 100 and 200 are considered lag in PvP games) might actually be a gamekiller for many..

Im glad you brought up what you are talking about,  You are actually talking about the BUG, not Lag that was in Cyrodil.

http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en/news/post/2014/03/14/eso-road-ahead

(Please note that users in our last scale test had lag issues, especially in Cyrodiil, but this was a game bug, not a location issue – all players, no matter where, experienced that particular problem).  --Zenimax Official Statement  image

See they already talked about it, know about it and working to fix it right now.....

that HUGE 100-300ms was a bug...

Travel time from signals including hubs , routers and switches from overhere in europe to US and back ( which is a ping) can fysically not be lower then 100 ms..... And thats assuming the US servers are at the eastcoast and both sides and directly connected to the internet backbone..   Its a delay  that is defines by the physical travel time of electric signals over cables. And the switching times of the hardware. ( if you have more then 5 hubs, pings will certainly be higher.)

its absolutely not the same thing i am talking about, i was talking about the physical limitation of the system, most people in europe should be happy if their ping is even under 200 ms... And Zenimax can not change anything aboit that..

and thats why i have no clue why the servers are not yet stationed in europe...  They are killing our performance. And their own server performance with this decision, while administrating servers from a remote location is just as reliable from a local office as from an office at the other side of the ocean.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• WabbaWayWabbaWay Member Posts: 101

Good thing to know, that poll made me fucking laugh out loud though.

"No, I totally love rolling with 150 ping, more of that on release please"

• NeuroDeusNeuroDeus Member Posts: 6

EU Servers in US? I am sorry but this one bad decision and it still making us people who are still trying to decide if to play or not, to not buy it. Although I cancelled my preorder, I still haven't done my mind completely.

More jumps/hops to get to the servers, the more lag it will be. It might not effect PvEers, but PvPers.

Each week its a new farce... addons was last week, this week this. What's next?

• AroukosAroukos Member Posts: 571
    Originally posted by NeuroDeus

EU Servers in US? I am sorry but this one bad decision and it still making us people who are still trying to decide if to play or not, to not buy it. Although I cancelled my preorder, I still haven't done my mind completely.

More jumps/hops to get to the servers, the more lag it will be. It might not effect PvEers, but PvPers.

Each week its a new farce... addons was last week, this week this. What's next?

You forgot to mention that a whole race is only available with Collector's Edition and locked to everyone else. How that sounds?

Plus, in every week beta instead of get riding bugs, you have more and more each time...

• tharkthark Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

I can´t think of much reasons for a developer team to have direct access to the servers, everything can be done by remote ..  And on top of the the european internet infrastructure in Countries like Germany and espescially the Netherlands is much much better then in the US..

I foresee a lot of problems when they decide to hire european server capacity and want to transfer the game to europe...

The lag (in general pings between 100 and 200 are considered lag in PvP games) might actually be a gamekiller for many..

Im glad you brought up what you are talking about,  You are actually talking about the BUG, not Lag that was in Cyrodil.

(Please note that users in our last scale test had lag issues, especially in Cyrodiil, but this was a game bug, not a location issue – all players, no matter where, experienced that particular problem).  --Zenimax Official Statement  image

See they already talked about it, know about it and working to fix it right now.....

Travel time from signals including hubs , routers and switches from overhere in europe to US and back ( which is a ping) can fysically not be lower then 100 ms..... And thats assuming the US servers are at the eastcoast and both sides and directly connected to the internet backbone..   Its a delay  that is defines by the physical travel time of electric signals over cables. And the switching times of the hardware. ( if you have more then 5 hubs, pings will certainly be higher.)

its absolutely not the same thing i am talking about, i was talking about the physical limitation of the system, most people in europe should be happy if their ping is even under 200 ms... And Zenimax can not change anything aboit that..

and thats why i have no clue why the servers are not yet stationed in europe...  They are killing our performance. And their own server performance with this decision, while administrating servers from a remote location is just as reliable from a local office as from an office at the other side of the ocean.

You are right..There is a "natural" longer distance and technical limitation with distance from EU to US.

But what If they have developed the game with this 3-400 ms delay in mind and developed the code around it so it's the same for US and EU, sounds rather odd or even devastating buisness strategy to start up a huge lie like this if they didn't have some meat to actually back that up..

• SikhanderSikhander Member UncommonPosts: 220

This is the first thing that royally piss me off with this game. And they say that after I bought the pre-order pack?

I hate playing with high ping - it is not really acceptable.

• Swids2010Swids2010 Member Posts: 244

More and more developers are starting to do this for there online games my question is if the servers are hosted in same building why even bother having a EU US divide why not place us all in same servers. In a few months when the casuals drop out would keep the populations higher and at more times

Originally posted by Swids2010

More and more developers are starting to do this for there online games my question is if the servers are hosted in same building why even bother having a EU US divide why not place us all in same servers. In a few months when the casuals drop out would keep the populations higher and at more times

And latencies too :)

• marmagmarmag Member UncommonPosts: 72

If you ask me I would stated on game box : " for PvP purpose we recommended to be located in the US "

Zenimax move your hardware ass to Europe in one month or charge smaller month fee to us who are from third world.

I won't pay 15 $ or Eur for 100-150 ping!

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Ah, this must be the reason for those hundreds of thousands of EU-based players threatening to cancel their pre-orders after each beta weekend because of "the unplayable latency" due to playing on US servers... er, no, wait...

I m just thinking all those US ppl when they say its not big deal playing as a EU in a US server.

I m wondering if they forced to play in EU servers, they would still support the same opinion? They would not care if they play in pvp with 150+ ms more than the EU players?

Forgive me but I don't think so...

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by Aroukos

I m just thinking all those US ppl when they say its not big deal playing as a EU in a US server.

I m wondering if they forced to play in EU servers, they would still support the same opinion? They would not care if they play in pvp with 150+ ms more than the EU players?

Forgive me but I don't think so...

You are forgiven, because you appear somewhat confused. image

The EU servers will be in the US. So ALL the EU players will have the same latency, nobody will have an advantage or disadvantage in PVP.

If a US player decides to roll a character on this US-based EU server, they will have an advantage due to lower latency. Until the the "EU data" is switched to an EU datacenter. Then that US player will be screwed.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by thark

You are right..There is a "natural" longer distance and technical limitation with distance from EU to US.

But what If they have developed the game with this 3-400 ms delay in mind and developed the code around it so it's the same for US and EU, sounds rather odd or even devastating buisness strategy to start up a huge lie like this if they didn't have some meat to actually back that up..

That could be an option, however with the real time targetting that would mean most of the hit/miss calculations would be client size, which means it will be hugely abused by hackers..  In my opinion realmrime targetting server side can not be done with + 200 ms ping..  It will give some very very strange results

And thats what i experienced during beta.. With a 120ms ping it was barely playable... And i have an almost direct connection to the AMsterdam Internet exchange, which is the highspeed hub of the connection between EU and US..  Most europeans will have higher pings..

its just not smart to have those servers in the US..

can anyone with an ICT background tell me what the advantage of using a US datacenter versus an EU datacenter is? 

The only thing i can think of s money... Saving money...  Which is stupid anyway since wenallready pay more in the EU for the same subs and boxes

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• knallpulverknallpulver Member UncommonPosts: 41

You make it sound like we know nothing about the game, and that the developers have something in mind to make it equal with 3 to 400....

The game is about to be released and we know how the game will play out. It's an action game, of course delay is going to be a factor.... If you don't realize that, then you have never played with delay before.

Especially in PvP this is going to be a big problem.

The argument that everyone from EU have the same delay isn't enough either.... because it will still bring down the overall experience of the game.

Also, in an MMO up to around 100 ms it won't be too much of a problem, but after that it goes downhill... So for most people in EU, you get like 5-100 ms from an EU server, which won't make too much of a difference (not in an MMORPG at least). The problem is when you connect to US, that number goes up a lot.... The people that have low ms on EU server, will have 100 ms on US server (US East), which is totally playable, but the ones that get 100 ms on EU servers, will get 200+ ms on US servers, which is horrible to play on.

So it's won't really be "equal" for every EU player.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

Three solutions to having the same latency for two continents over 2000 km apart at their nearest:

1. Built in latency into the game code, retarded solution for a temporary situation,

2. Evening out the latency between EU and US players via the netcode ( gonna be laughing my ass off at a US player having a 200+ ping to a US server ),

3. They developed quantum transmission systems which negate time-space considerations while also somehow getting the packet loss above 80% (this is hard SF still and I rather doubt they would've poured that much money on down this flaming pit of death)

Originally posted by Dihoru

Three solutions to having the same latency for two continents over 2000 km apart at their nearest:

1. Built in latency into the game code, retarded solution for a temporary situation,

2. Evening out the latency between EU and US players via the netcode ( gonna be laughing my ass off at a US player having a 200+ ping to a US server ),

3. They developed quantum transmission systems which negate time-space considerations while also somehow getting the packet loss above 80% (this is hard SF still and I rather doubt they would've poured that much money on down this flaming pit of death)

In a few words, their choice of putting both US+EU servers in US is just retarded. At least for as long as it lasts (if it ever move them)...

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

I wont install the game until the server is located in EU. If it does not happen soon enough I will return my copy for sure and get my money back.

I find this an extreme case of bullshit from zenimax, I cant believe they go into such lengths trying to piss customers off. So they save few dollars not having to establish a launch crew for EU? I could not care less, all I care about is my lag when the game launches, and zenimax is currently implying that they could not care less about my launch experience. Fuck you zenimax.

Do we know where in US the servers will be ? 

Unless it's at the east coast there will be no reason for me to even try out the game before there i EU servers.

I have pretty good connection where I live, so I can play FFXIV (Canada servers) with pretty good ping, but if it's further into the continent it won't be playable... Especially with the combat system they have.

• tharkthark Member UncommonPosts: 1,188
    Originally posted by knallpulver

You make it sound like we know nothing about the game, and that the developers have something in mind to make it equal with 3 to 400....

The game is about to be released and we know how the game will play out. It's an action game, of course delay is going to be a factor.... If you don't realize that, then you have never played with delay before.

The argument that everyone from EU have the same delay isn't enough either.... because it will still bring down the overall experience of the game.

Also, in an MMO up to around 100 ms it won't be too much of a problem, but after that it goes downhill... So for most people in EU, you get like 5-100 ms from an EU server, which won't make too much of a difference (not in an MMORPG at least). The problem is when you connect to US, that number goes up a lot.... The people that have low ms on EU server, will have 100 ms on US server (US East), which is totally playable, but the ones that get 100 ms on EU servers, will get 200+ ms on US servers, which is horrible to play on.

You didn't really understand what I talked about did you ?

I know that the latency will be diffrent, there is no argue about that..

But what I said was that they can however acoount for it in their code so that no one has an unfair advantage based on their location , ae you will get the same responce time clicking your skills in US as you would in EU. built in LAG for the US if you so please, sounds really counterproductive, but If US and EU react at the same time noone will notice this 300ms ping diffrence..

Originally posted by knallpulver

You didn't really understand what I talked about did you ?

I know that the latency will be diffrent, there is no argue about that..

But what I said was that they can however acoount for it in their code so that no one has an unfair advantage based on their location , ae you will get the same responce time clicking your skills in US as you would in EU. built in LAG for the US if you so please, sounds really counterproductive, but If US and EU react at the same time noone will notice this 300ms ping diffrence..

That's worst thing I've ever heard, and it just proves that you have never experienced this kind of delay....

You don't understand what delay does to you.... I wouldn't want to play a game with 200+ ping even if it was a single-player game.... Because it ruins the game. It has nothing to do with it being unfair towards other players, even though that's a reason too...

Everything you do will be sluggish and unresponsive. Everything you do will happen long after you press the keys for example.....

To increase the ping for US players too, would just ruin the game for those people too.... not really a solution.

• PorkNailsPorkNails Member UncommonPosts: 65

At launch the server will be in US, whats the big deal about that? You are complaining like this is the first game that has servers in US for EU players... Also how can you possibly know your ping to the servers that will be available at launch? The purpose of the betas was to test how their systems responded with a huge amount of players at the same time, doing the same quests, etc. so they limited the server available in order to see that, your ping at that time can't really be used to judge the ping for the rest of your gameplay experience.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,988
    Originally posted by alexhpy98721
    Originally posted by alexhpy98721
    Originally posted by timidobserver
    You forgot to put an "I don't care" option in your poll. 

I figured that if you don`t care you won`t care enough to vote... or do you care to show people you don`t really care?

I cant believe you would allow people to continue to think that there is some sort of affect on gameplay because of location of servers, when I just showed you the proof that they have confirmed in testing that the location of servers have no affect on gameplay.

What me and other players have said and you are not understanding is that ZENIMAX has lied a lot in that statement.

It is impossible not to have 3-5 more lag as an EU player using an US server compared to an EU player using an EU server due to the extra distance. It`s not related to ESO or video games or what ZENIMAX claims, its simply a technological limitation.

Distance to server = delay. The more distance there is, the more delay you get. There is a lot of distance between the EU and the US so you will get a nice chunk of lag. It will be playable but it will be far from perfect and you should be able to feel the lag.

Its 0.3-0.4 seconds for every action you take so you will notice you dodging and your character dodging 0.4 seconds later than you asked it to maybe resulting in you getting hit. This is the problem...

Number of hops are more critical than distance.

Also where is the US server?  East Coast US to Western Europe is only slightly farther than Coast to Coast US. but again, it's all about number of hops.  For example.  I am in Florida US.  I just pinged Frankfurt at 151ms and California at 122ms.  Sure it's a difference but it's not "3-5 more lag"

Obviously it would be better to have a server in the EU but obviously their data center is not ready.  If this is something you feel strongly about, simply wait for the EU data center to open before playing.  Think of it like a delayed release, typical of many MMOs that open in different regions at different times.  Otherwise, join the rest of the population that want to start playing ASAP and move over when the DC opens...

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878

It's just temporary. I'm sure they'll move it as soon as they are sure it will be stable. I think they know what they're doing, and I'm sure they're concerned about keeping their paying customers in the EU.

How about innocent until proven guilty? If it does mess up EU gameplay, then complain.

• PatchezPatchez Member Posts: 58
    Originally posted by Kuinn

I wont install the game until the server is located in EU. If it does not happen soon enough I will return my copy for sure and get my money back.

I find this an extreme case of bullshit from zenimax, I cant believe they go into such lengths trying to piss customers off. So they save few dollars not having to establish a launch crew for EU? I could not care less, all I care about is my lag when the game launches, and zenimax is currently implying that they could not care less about my launch experience. Fuck you zenimax.

Don't worry :)

The playing experience at launch is going to be lag free - Matt Firor actually confirmed this in an official statement recently, would link it for you but pffft I can't get on Massively from work lol.

:)

• MpfiveMpfive Member UncommonPosts: 308
    See you all at launch ;)