Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A Farewell To TESO

spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971

The author of this text is a long term beta tester (if I remember correct 9+ months) and did level up several characters to LVL 50 already. He was aswell a moderator at the tamrielfoundry forums.

http://errantpenman.wordpress.com/2014/03/22/a-farewell-to-teso/

Comments

• JemAs666JemAs666 Member UncommonPosts: 252
    lol thanks for sharing.  I can sleep tonight knowing this one person isn't playing.  I mean seriously this is a human being not unlike the other human beings.  This person isn't anyone special and I could care less if they play or not. I am glad they think so highly of themselves that them not playing makes any difference.
  • GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    Originally posted by JemAs666
    lol thanks for sharing.  I can sleep tonight knowing this one person isn't playing.

Yeah...now all I need is for some one to rate pizza so I can follow him/her like a sheep to the land where pizza is no more.

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

You know if I got 9 months of playing several times a week out of this game I would be very happy and it does sound from his writing that the content is there to support that.  After that hopefully we will have several new DLC's worth of content to work though as well.

It sounds to me like he was more unhappy with playing a game going though the natural progression of being in beta than anything else.

• JHenryJHenry Member Posts: 188
    I would like to address his points

lousy exterminator: every change will lead to bugs. It is very normal. That's why changes are released first to PTS before going live. Probably, before releasing it to PTS, it will be tested internally.

Lazy-eyed vision: While I agree with the lack of feed back the future will bring, it is again can be changed if the PTS or internal testing dealt with the balance and end-users using the patched up UI. Having a separate code for each of the servers (live and testing) could help with this transition. I believe the patch did not destroy the UI entirely, but it makes it open for improvement.

Mo’ money mo’ problems: Paywall = locking content. Imperial race IMO, is not locking content. Paywall= locking adventure zones.

Con-fidence: same rant as the money problem. A speculation to F2P. WoW have also done mount services in the past. No surprise.

SOLA - www.solaguild.com
    (christian guild. Being christian is not required for membership though)

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

If I get 9 months in ESO I'l be more than happy...but If I'm also burnt out and irritable at that point I'll leave quietly.

I don't think so much of myself or my influence to feel compelled to write an essay whenever I stop playing one game and start another one.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Originally posted by Iselin

If I get 9 months in ESO I'l be more than happy...but If I'm also burnt out and irritable at that point I'll leave quietly.

I don't think so much of myself or my influence to feel compelled to write an essay whenever I stop playing one game and start another one.

This. I'll just say, I quit your money grabbing full of bugs game, and I'm done.

SOLA - www.solaguild.com

• SilacoidSilacoid Member UncommonPosts: 237
    Originally posted by spizz

The author of this text is a long term beta tester (if I remember correct 9+ months) and did level up several characters to LVL 50 already. He was aswell a moderator at the tamrielfoundry forums.

There is this thing that happens with human beings, when you do something over and over all day, every day, it ceases to be fun.  Sounds like this guy burned himself out.  His 9 months is probably equivalent to 5 years for me and most other people.  Obviously an enjoyable game if he spent that much time on it.

This guy sounds like a whining child to me, most of what he says is pure speculation and also would only be experienced by those with no lives who spend every moment in a video game world.  I'm happy he is quitting now hopefully he'll go outside and see what this whole sunlight thing is about.

Originally posted by Silacoid

There is this thing that happens with human beings, when you do something over and over all day, every day, it ceases to be fun.  Sounds like this guy burned himself out.  His 9 months is probably equivalent to 5 years for me and most other people.  Obviously an enjoyable game if he spent that much time on it.

His 9 months plus sudden change on the status quo is what made him burned out and that leads to 10 years in your estimate.

SOLA - www.solaguild.com

• PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762
    That blog post pretty much reinforces all my gripes & predictions about ESO from day 1. Well thought out blog, imo, without sounding bitter. 

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• PalaziousPalazious Member Posts: 162
    9 months isn't bad at all especially considering that the PvP area isn't fully functional (this is where I see the longevity)....I'll agree that they need to take some bugs seriously though.

Palazious <The Vindicators> Darkfall
    Palazious r40, rr45 SW War
    Palazious 50 Pirate PoTBS
    Palazious 35 Sorcerer Vanguard
    Palazious 75 wizard EQ
    Paladori 50 Champion LOTRO
    Poppa Reaver bugged at rank15

• JemAs666JemAs666 Member UncommonPosts: 252

I agree he played the game free for almost a year.  He stated in another article he was max ranked Veteran Templar.  If he lasted almost a year, the game must be pretty darn good.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Some things I agreed with, some I don't.

I hate it when people use the argument "myself and other have argued ..." as if they have some sort of weight because they are a plurality. I'm sure there are others who argued the opposite and are no more right or wrong except that it is their own opinion.

It also sound like he had no business being a beta tester if he wasn't prepared for changes as well as changes that went against what he liked.

I do agree that the game lacks some conviction in that it doesn't know if it want's to be an standard themepark mmo or if it wants to incorporate elder scrolls ideas.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by JemAs666

I agree he played the game free for almost a year.  He stated in another article he was max ranked Veteran Templar.  If he lasted almost a year, the game must be pretty darn good.

I agree with both of you.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ImprovVImprovV Member Posts: 14
    Originally posted by Pyuk
    That blog post pretty much reinforces all my gripes & predictions about ESO from day 1. Well thought out blog, imo, without sounding bitter. 

He played the game for 9 months doing literally everything and reaching max rank after he got to 50. Must be a pretty damn good game.

Anyway, I find it sad that some of you have nothing better to do with your lives other than trying so damn hard to bring a game you dont like down.

I'm going to bet people like OP and countless others on these forums will continue to whine, trash, and post useless links to every single MMO that is going to come out up until the last day of your lives. 

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

Wow...I can't tell you how much my clan nor I care about this...lol.  Seriously, why do people feel the need to say their goodbyes as if they are that important.

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• anrenruianrenrui Member UncommonPosts: 21

One thing to keep in mind is that the foundry has an addon that they have to remake because of changes made to ESO. I think I see some upsetness in his post in general about things. 

Beyond all of that though, he played the game for an extensive time without experiencing the actual launch. He is saying goodbye to something that has not been launched..... let me repeat this due to some people not understanding. HE IS SAYING GOODBYE TO SOMETHING THAT HAS NOT BEEN LAUNCHED.

It's just another toxic psudo ADHD man child posting about being able to have power that ms cleo claimed to have, nothing new, still irritating to see. Move along, nothing to see here.

• He has some great points, nothing that would kill the game for me though. I stopped reading when he started on about paywalls and the sub model. EVERY game has released with a regular edition and a collector's edition. The collector's edition ALWAYS has something the regular version doesn't. Whether it's a F2P, B2P, or P2P. 
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Some things I agreed with, some I don't.

I hate it when people use the argument "myself and other have argued ..." as if they have some sort of weight because they are a plurality. I'm sure there are others who argued the opposite and are no more right or wrong except that it is their own opinion.

It also sound like he had no business being a beta tester if he wasn't prepared for changes as well as changes that went against what he liked.

I do agree that the game lacks some conviction in that it doesn't know if it want's to be an standard themepark mmo or if it wants to incorporate elder scrolls ideas.

I agree with all your points...including my feelings about how they started catering to public opinion too much (and yes, I know, some would see that as a positive) and lost their original vision along the way.

But the thing that stuck out for me was his sense of entitlement as a "near co-developer" particularly with respect to the mods and his feelings of having been betrayed because of the API nerf... that's a sensitive issue for many in the Entropy Rising guild.

But mostly I read it as the burn out that happens to many after being heavily involved in a game for many months. And it typically happens after a patch that nerfs something--usually an ability--the poster was relying on for his game play enjoyment. In this case, it happened to be an add-on nerf instead of a class nerf but I've read similar good bye posts many times before.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    Originally posted by SirBalin

Wow...I can't tell you how much my clan nor I care about this...lol.  Seriously, why do people feel the need to say their goodbyes as if they are that important.

^This

Especially with the added posts about how long he/she tested it.  Maybe testing is the problem. Was for me on a couple of games. I tested TSW for a while and when it was released, it only lasted around 3 months til I was done. I blame it on the over exposure more than anything else.

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• KnotwoodKnotwood Member CommonPosts: 1,103

Just as he says farewell,   I also said farewell to EQ Next Landmark which is what he is going to, and I asked for my money back for the founders pack, and they gave it no questions asked like they said.    I wish him luck but if he thinks landmark is better then ESO....  Hes in for a shameful return to ESO,  he leaving ESO for something that's x 10  more microtransaction and worse of a money grab then what he hated about ESO. 

Its a case of "grass is greener on the other side".   Mark My Words...  He will be back.  

1) A lousy exterminator. Bugs...

Its a beta and yes, major bugs are being fixed behind the scene.
    I think Master Dev Nick Konkle said it best sums it up about people like this in his interview.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80mHQNA45js   1:24:10

2) Lazy-eyed vision

Dont you realize that the MMO aspects that were sacrificed to make it more TES is why a majority of players want to play it,  Its single player base for skyrim was 20 million, this is just part of the evolution I was talking about to make ESO marketable to its massive single player base, which is a 20 million player market, why would you hate that?   you should be happy that a game would be true to its player base of the IP it carries.  You want an MMO rather then a ES game, we get it.

As far as Addons go, how could you hate the fact that they pulled API aspects of the UI that allowed for players to literally cheat in effect.  did you make one of those cheat programs yourself, and now your mad about your wasted time making them?

3)  Mo Money Mo problems.  "Unfortunately, we now also have paywalls and micro-transactions."

Seriously, you hate microtransactions, and all that they have so far is a HORSE?  Good lord, your going to EQ Next Landmark,  where everything is a microtransaction, including resources that you gather in the world.  Where is your prespective about whats acceptable and not when you go to a game based soley on microtransactions.

4) Con-fidence

So your answer to the game you predict is going to go free to play, is to then say your are going to set your eye on a game that IS Free to play with heavy microtransactions??!!   LMAO

What has happened to you?
    A) You overthought yourself to leave B) Your burned out from beta C) You'll be back.  D) Its a train wreck... dont look back.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by Knotwood

Just as he says farewell,   I also said farewell to EQ Next Landmark which is what he is going to, and I asked for my money back for the founders pack, and they gave it no questions asked like they said.    I wish him luck but if he thinks landmark is better then ESO....  Hes in for a shameful return to ESO,  he leaving ESO for something that's x 10 worse then what he hated about ESO. 

Its a case of "grass is greener on the other side".   Mark My Words...  He will be back.  

You really need to actually read the article instead of just looking at the pictures.

I am currently revisiting the great disappointment SWTOR with my TESOCast co-host Road (who also hosts TOROCast), and have found that it was just as bad as I remembered, but am still mildly entertained by a casual play through of its class stories with friends. I will return to Sanctuary with Diablo 3‘s Reaper of Souls expansion, which looks to make many improvements on the flawed game we are well aware of.

These games are only temporary though, and while I play them, I will set my eyes firmly on the sandbox MMOs of the future - ArcheAge, Everquest: Next, The Repopulation, and CCP’s hopefully not vaporware World of Darkness MMO – maybe even Star Citizen. Will one of these be my next big MMO home? I hope we can find out together, on The Errant Penman.

Originally posted by Gestankfaust
    Originally posted by SirBalin

^This

Especially with the added posts about how long he/she tested it.  Maybe testing is the problem. Was for me on a couple of games. I tested TSW for a while and when it was released, it only lasted around 3 months til I was done. I blame it on the over exposure more than anything else.

This. I've been a dragon commander tester, and Divinity Original Sin tester. I've found a lot of bugs and things in need of improvement in dragon commander test that made me not to play the game at launch. I still have it on my steam library though. As for Divinity Original Sin, same scenario but there's still a lot of bugs. Stopped myself in an instant to wait for it to be polished before I can enjoy myself. I did not bother to rant it out with the developers as I know they are doing their jobs.

For ESO during the 2nd and third/last stress test, I encountered 2-3 bugs in my run (respawn bugs). It is still annoying, but out of 100 quest? Probably not. When I played EP on first stress test, I did not encounter any bugs though.

SOLA - www.solaguild.com

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551
    ESO is leaving in all the bugs to give it a more authentic Elder Scrolls feel.
  • Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by ImprovV
    Originally posted by Pyuk

He played the game for 9 months doing literally everything and reaching max rank after he got to 50. Must be a pretty damn good game.

If he'd played less, someone would be saying "his opinion doesn't matter because he didn't play long enough" and/or "didn't see/do everything".

Of course, the same thing is happening in either case. It's an attempt to dismiss or invalidate an opinion you don't like.

Anyway, I find it sad that some of you have nothing better to do with your lives other than trying so damn hard to bring a game you dont like down.

Why is someone voicing criticism/negative opinions of a game "bringing it down"? They tried the game, they didn't like it, they're discussing it.  It's an opinion. It's harmless.

Better question is , why are you so over-sensitive and intolerant of opinions you don't agree with?

I'm going to bet people like OP and countless others on these forums will continue to whine, trash, and post useless links to every single MMO that is going to come out up until the last day of your lives. 

That's what forums are for. To discuss and share differing views on various games. If the article linked was complimentary, you'd probably be here praising it.

• atziluthatziluth Member UncommonPosts: 1,190

Nothing really new in that read that has not been stated for the past month. 

As he affirmed several times, these are his personal opinions and preferences, not an objective view of the state of the game. There was some pokes at the game that leads me to believe the most recent changes have left him bitter towards the development team.

I am rather apathetic to the whole faux outrage by some over the UI Mod changes. Watching the streams and videos after the NDA was lifted showed how far mod developers had gone in abusing the information available. After release it would have only gotten worse. While I feel these changes should have happened much earlier in development of the game, I can also understand why they were left in. Knowing how much something debuffed or the averages of enemy player stats helped with tester feedback. Now the game is going live and that information clearly gives an advantage to those that know how to exploit it. Allowing mods is a tricky balance and I am sure access to information will be subject to future changes. I don't see this as a lie as much as the development team coming to their senses and making a sensible change. 

I agree with his concerns over paywalls and transitioning payment models. I feel my money will be returned in entertainment so it did not stop me from buying. How long the game keeps me is entirely up to the developers though. 

I disagree on his statement that the game lacks vision and this was in many ways an indirect shot at the UI Mod complaint. I think this was a much harder port than everyone was expecting. This is a AAA franchise built around single player experience in a sandbox world. That is about as far away from a successful road map for an MMO as you can get. While the direction they took is not to his liking, I have not read anything that leads me to believe the development team had/has no direction. The game has evolved in many ways to the better as far as relation to previous ES styling and game play.

In 40 days he went from calling the game addictive to leaving it. The main points he raised were not new and existed back on 2/15. So what took place in that time span? It is possible he got burned out, but my guess the real drive is the UI mod restrictions. Something he dedicated more space articulating  indirectly and directly than all other issues combined in his farewell. 

At the end of the day, the game was not for him. I wish him well and hope he finds something more to his liking. 

-Atziluth-

- Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.