Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

who thinks star citizen will be a beast?

Comments

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    Originally posted by Arglebargle

You, the general 'Cult of Roberts' crew, and Roberts himself, all have an attitude reminiscent of the later era Napoleon.   'All I have to do is show up to gain the victory.'  Sadly, Chris Roberts has nowhere near the genius of Napolean.   I expect the game to be fully as good as his decade long string of mediocre to bad Hollywood films.  

His games rose and fell with the strength of his production crew.  Better hope he hired well. 

are you trolling? So, to say I liked previous CR games and I simply want a new one, and trust him he is able to deliver that, means "following the cult of Roberts"?

That´s a quite idiotic statement.

And the movies have nothing to do with his game design skills. Didn´t even find Wing Commander a bad movie, it was just a movie for fans of the WIng Commnader series, not more and not less. The cast choice could have been better but it was not a big budget movie like Star Wars.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by DocBrody

I never played a bad Chris Roberts game. If anyone can do it, he is the one.If he just makes a modern "Privateer" and adds the online component -> done

That's what I said - blindfolded, detached from reality.

Originally posted by Gdemami

I never played a bad Chris Roberts game. If anyone can do it, he is the one.

If he just makes a modern "Privateer" and adds the online component -> done

That's what I said - blindfolded, detached from reality.

yeah right, it´s IMPOSSIBLE to make a Privateer type space sim in 2014. Absolutely detached from reality X,-))

40 million Dollars and a team of 215 simply can´t make it.

Approximately 400 000 people who backed this game would disagree

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by Arglebargle

You, the general 'Cult of Roberts' crew, and Roberts himself, all have an attitude reminiscent of the later era Napoleon.   'All I have to do is show up to gain the victory.'  Sadly, Chris Roberts has nowhere near the genius of Napolean.   I expect the game to be fully as good as his decade long string of mediocre to bad Hollywood films.  

His games rose and fell with the strength of his production crew.  Better hope he hired well. 

are you trolling? So, to say I liked previous CR games and I simply want a new one, and trust him he is able to deliver that, means "following the cult of Roberts"?

That´s a quite idiotic statement.

And the movies have nothing to do with his game design skills. Didn´t even find Wing Commander a bad movie, it was just a movie for fans of the WIng Commnader series, not more and not less. The cast choice could have been better but it was not a big budget movie like Star Wars.

Well excluding Lord of War and Freelancer he hasn't really done anything of note in the last decade so while you may be quick to praise him people of a more cautious nature will hang back and ask what if. That said neither of you are wrong just that both have different views and while I know CR is a good developer he still has to deliver because you do not judge the artist you judge the art.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

The developer has not done anything worthwhile in modern days so all we have is his old work.By now day standards his old work gives me a gut feeling this game is way over rated and will be a dud.

However my mindset is the same of Eve,i might think a game is technically and design wise a dud but does not mean others won't like it in drones.

Of course way too early to give any remote kind of rating but since people actually based backing it on a total whim ,i should be able to rate it under the same criteria.My gut says i will be rating this game a 2-3/10.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,162

All you nay sayers are gonna be eating words. SC development single handedly changed the Cryengine.

There are already vids of the new AI at work with collision detection.

So much new ground is being broken with SC it is mind boggling. There is an updated SC vid with the new content projections.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPF83lOBtIY

You critics need to look into the game more. It is going to be a game of godlike proportions. There is no warning signs or smoke surrounding the development. If anything the transparency is very refreshing.

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

I was pumped for it...but a few things have really turned me off.  First, the sim was suppose to be up in Dec, then they said it wouldn't be the full sim, just the single player sim, now that's pushed all the way out to April.  I get things happen, but the amount of money that they have gotten from kickstarter...eh..I expected more.

Also it looks like it's just going to be a battleground style game...I know you don't que in for it, but with only a few ships per zone allowed....that's what it is.  If your entire clan wants to go do something, you can't because the minimum they have set for ships in one zone.  Lot of concerns for me, I think the game will have some good things, obviously graphics, however my hopes aren't high for this one anymore.

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• Colt47Colt47 Member UncommonPosts: 549
    Originally posted by SirBalin

I was pumped for it...but a few things have really turned me off.  First, the sim was suppose to be up in Dec, then they said it wouldn't be the full sim, just the single player sim, now that's pushed all the way out to April.  I get things happen, but the amount of money that they have gotten from kickstarter...eh..I expected more.

Also it looks like it's just going to be a battleground style game...I know you don't que in for it, but with only a few ships per zone allowed....that's what it is.  If your entire clan wants to go do something, you can't because the minimum they have set for ships in one zone.  Lot of concerns for me, I think the game will have some good things, obviously graphics, however my hopes aren't high for this one anymore.

If you think that pushing back deadlines is cause for doubting the quality of the work going into the game, you haven't the foggiest how the software industry works.   More money does not equate faster production time: It means they have more time to get things done right.

It is shocking how people think more money = less development time

it simply is not true, you can put more ressources into a project but it still couldn´t be finished in 1 months even with a billion dollars. A lot more stuff than originally planned will now be in the release version, e.g. the ship boarding.

Also what you say about delays is not true, it was ALWAYS clear, the single player/co-op campaign alpha Squadron 42 comes first, then a few months later the persistant universe. Both was moved a few months, ok - 3 months later than originally planned, woohoo. Project schedules change.

The only thing they moved a few months was the multiplayer demo, as they wrote an entire new server backend for Cryengine. But they only did after making a community poll, and the poll was in favor of the delay instead of using the built in backend of Cryengine. 400K people stormed the Alpha slots so far, you can´t do that without a proper server backend.

Also it looks like it's just going to be a battleground style game...I know you don't que in for it, but with only a few ships per zone allowed....that's what it is.

100 player ships per SEAMLESS instance visible on screen is more than "a few". Don´t know what you expect at that level of visual quality.

however my hopes aren't high for this one anymore.

get informed ?

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by grndzro

All you nay sayers are gonna be eating words. SC development single handedly changed the Cryengine.There are already vids of the new AI at work with collision detection.So much new ground is being broken with SC it is mind boggling. There is an updated SC vid with the new content projections.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPF83lOBtIYYou critics need to look into the game more. It is going to be a game of godlike proportions. There is no warning signs or smoke surrounding the development. If anything the transparency is very refreshing.

You realize that there is no game, no showcase of any features you praise so much?

It is all just a ridiculous mountain of promises.

Anyone can promise you anything, to deliver is entirely different matter.

• sugarbear78664sugarbear78664 Member Posts: 36
    I have giving up on the idea of the Next great thing, it is 1 disappointment right after another. Come on devs , surprise me????

All you nay sayers are gonna be eating words. SC development single handedly changed the Cryengine.

So much new ground is being broken with SC it is mind boggling. There is an updated SC vid with the new content projections.

You critics need to look into the game more. It is going to be a game of godlike proportions. There is no warning signs or smoke surrounding the development. If anything the transparency is very refreshing.

You realize that there is no game, no showcase of any features you praise so much?

Yea....and their over 200 employees are staring at the wall twiddling their thumbs. Content creation takes time.

They have Mantle and the new NV equivalents in the works. both new technologies on a completely redesigned Cryengine. IMO the progress has been pretty good for a game only 15 months in the making.

Also realize that there was no company before the KS. They had to do EVERYTHING, unlike an already established studio that just shuffles people around SC had to hire a complete staff from scratch and develop everything. It is the biggest startup AAA game project ever. There is bound to be discrepancies when comparing it to a already established studio.

Name another AAA MMO that has shown this kind of progress in that timeframe.....none. Everything about SC development has been open book. There is nothing to hide. Everything has been documented.

You can fiddle with the idea of promises all you want. 41 million dollars says people are happy with the direction and the progress of SC. The DF module be shown at PAX east among I assume some other really cool shit. That 41 million could skyrocket after PAX.

Yea....and their over 200 employees are staring at the wall twiddling their thumbs. Content creation takes time.

I expect this games first iteration, beta not alpha, (=playable) in Quarter 1 2015.

I don´t even have an Oculus Rift yet, I only want to play this with Oculus consumer version. Enough other titles to play until then, I´m patient. But I´ll play the DFM which comes out in April.

Also I will upgrade my PC specifially for Star Citizen not before 2015 and the longer I wait with the upgrade, the better the hardware bang for the buck

I expect this games first iteration, beta not alpha, (=playable) in Quarter 1 2015.

I don´t even have an Oculus Rift yet, I only want to play this with Oculus consumer version. Enough other titles to play until then, I´m patient. But I´ll play the DFM which comes out in April.

Also I will upgrade my PC specifially for Star Citizen not before 2015 and the longer I wait with the upgrade, the better the hardware bang for the buck

With all they said they will do... if they do not prune it down they will be struggling to make x-mas season 2015 because they are building two games (the sim and the FPS) in essence... even if they started the sim bit before the kickstarter that is still about 5-6 years of work... they would have had to start work on the game in 2010-2011 to hit the 2015 beta predication you put up.

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

It will be great when they finally release it...sometime in 2035!

By then, it'll be a 350 TB download!

Originally posted by kishe

It will be great when they finally release it...sometime in 2035!

By then, it'll be a 350 TB download!

In 1994 games were around 500 mb at best... now they are around 40 times bigger so in 21 years gods know how big they will be but your number isn't that scary knowing that things tend to balloon.

Originally posted by Dihoru

With all they said they will do... if they do not prune it down they will be struggling to make x-mas season 2015 because they are building two games (the sim and the FPS) in essence... even if they started the sim bit before the kickstarter that is still about 5-6 years of work... they would have had to start work on the game in 2010-2011 to hit the 2015 beta predication you put up.

A lot of their staff comes from an FPS background. With the stretch goals moving well over a million a month it is probably a good idea to start a team working on the FPS part. Working on both in tandem also helps develop the technology to tie them both together. None of it is wasted work in the end.

A lot of their staff comes from an FPS background. With the stretch goals moving well over a million a month it is probably a good idea to start a team working on the FPS part. Working on both in tandem also helps develop the technology to tie them both together. None of it is wasted work in the end.

I think some people hear "crowdfunding" and are thinking a bunch of amateurs are working on this.

It couldn´t be farther from the truth, I´ve seen a thread where someone put up a list of projects the team members worked on and it reads like a who is who from the triple A game and movie industry, including people who worked for ILM, Blizzard, EA, Lucasarts, Funcom, the list goes on and on. Chris hired top talent for this and it is visible in every little tidbit they show. This game will be amazing, period. Will it take longer until full release, yes most likely. But everyone who is in the alpha will get something to test early enough. Damn the ships in my hangar are the most shiny things I´ve ever seen in any game. Soon, they´ll fly through a massive universe. 2015 will be the year of Star Citizen.

• Colt47Colt47 Member UncommonPosts: 549

... They've been delivering things continuously.  We have the hangar module already present and playable, with functional ship models if someone has a pledge package.  They have demoed the Dog Fighting module multiple times.  They are running THREE different promotional shows, one of which is a ship design contest for the game.  Also that AI demo is demonstrating how the AI system will work in the Dog Fighting Demo once they have it implemented.

Do you have any concept of the scope of this project?  This isn't like Duke Nukem Forever, which took forever to get out only because it had to get rewritten several times.  This is more like two or three skyrims being pasted together bit by bit.

• darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804

I think some people hear "crowdfunding" and are thinking a bunch of amateurs are working on this.

It couldn´t be farther from the truth, I´ve seen a thread where someone put up a list of projects the team members worked on and it reads like a who is who from the triple A game and movie industry, including people who worked for ILM, Blizzard, EA, Lucasarts, Funcom, the list goes on and on. Chris hired top talent for this and it is visible in every little tidbit they show. This game will be amazing, period. Will it take longer until full release, yes most likely. But everyone who is in the alpha will get something to test early enough. Damn the ships in my hangar are the most shiny things I´ve ever seen in any game. Soon, they´ll fly through a massive universe. 2015 will be the year of Star Citizen.

I do wonder if all these nay sayer's actually watch Wingmans Hanger which is chock full of inside information on CIG and the game and all the developers and lately shit loads of actual footage.

If they do watch and still post with such negativity they are simply tapped in the head no game development has ever been so transparent  and the 200+ team is a dream team of epic proportions, the energy Chris and the Wingman instill in the project is so refreshing to see and hopefully will start a trend especially with crowd sourced projects.

p>
    There is no way they watch all those project updates that have been coming in from day one.
    Originally posted by Colt47This isn't like Duke Nukem Forever, which took forever to get out only because it had to get rewritten several times.  This is more like two or three skyrims being pasted together bit by bit.

true. If it were Duke Nukem Forever, they had changed the Engine three times, revamped the graphics five times, rewritten the story twelve times, delayed the game release almost a decade. I think there will never be another project as much delayed as Duke Nukem Forever.

• zerocountzerocount Member UncommonPosts: 200
    I believe Star Citizen will be a massive static hanger with 2 million ships with doors that open and with players running around shouting pew pew.
    Originally posted by zerocount
    I believe Star Citizen will be a massive static hanger with 2 million ships with doors that open and with players running around shouting pew pew.

you will be the one crying because you didn´t get all the backer goodies and have to pay full retail price when it comes out :D

Originally posted by zerocount

you will be the one crying because you didn´t get all the backer goodies and have to pay full retail price when it comes out :D

-sighs- biting the bait and looking just as bad as that guy...