Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did Anet stop banning bots?

13»

Comments

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

There are bots in pretty much any game.

I went with the OP and we saw 4 possible bots in Cursed Shores (Malchor's Leap seemed clear) - one was pretty old bot style running a small circle with its ranger pet, a mesmer one was better but its pathing had loads of 90 and 180 degree turns (for those that play they move similar to dynamic events NPCs that after killing the enemies go back to again move forward). A necromancer that potentially was a bot was way harder to differentiate.

Still, I surely hope that it takes more than just my report to ban a player as sometimes one is semi afk (talking or on the phone) and plays a bit weird.

4 bots in one of the biggest European PvE servers isn't that much.

Lets see how long they stay there but banning bots one by one is quite a waste and just incentivize better bots - preferably one wants to automatically detect them.

Not obvious huh? At least you can admit when you are wrong. That is a little better.....

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• SorrowhoSorrowho Member Posts: 581

Reminds when i was ranting about lineage2 and botters. You wont really know if a company stopped caring, is caring less or whatever reason, and aruging with other people´s opnions that contradicts with yours about botters is not worth the headace.

People just get different impressions i guess, depending on what kind of things that attract they eyes as a annoyoence, or what they feel the need to pay attention to. For instance in Rust before facepunch, some players where under the impression that the offical servers didn´t have so many cheaters, then facepunch was modifed as an anticheat and activated for 4 days on the 9 offical servers only, where it banned over 4500 players.

My point is if your looking for it you see it more but it can also be paranoia sometimes, while other people might not notice it at all. So if you feel arenanet has started caring less about bots, who knows and you won´t really know and aruging with others of your impression can be like talking to a door.

Instead its probaly better to quit when you feel the companys action aginst botting/cheating gets too insignificant, and its annoying you´re play time of the game, instead of wondering, have they stopped caring?

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by stevebombsquad
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

There are bots in pretty much any game.

I went with the OP and we saw 4 possible bots in Cursed Shores (Malchor's Leap seemed clear) - one was pretty old bot style running a small circle with its ranger pet, a mesmer one was better but its pathing had loads of 90 and 180 degree turns (for those that play they move similar to dynamic events NPCs that after killing the enemies go back to again move forward). A necromancer that potentially was a bot was way harder to differentiate.

Still, I surely hope that it takes more than just my report to ban a player as sometimes one is semi afk (talking or on the phone) and plays a bit weird.

4 bots in one of the biggest European PvE servers isn't that much.

Lets see how long they stay there but banning bots one by one is quite a waste and just incentivize better bots - preferably one wants to automatically detect them.

Not obvious huh? At least you can admit when you are wrong. That is a little better.....

I've never said there were no bots.

I've disagreed that Arenanet stopped banning bots.

4 bots in one of the most populated servers of the game isn't a bot infestation.

What bot free games do you know?

On the other hand none of the bots we saw are online currently.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

I did this run with you since you implied that I can't differ a bot from a silent player. Are you still saying I can't differ?

The point was Pnozen who has been there for 4 months botting 24 hours a day. Can you give me a good reason why such an obvious bot was never caught up in the ban waves you mentioned? She was reported plenty of times since I did bring her to the attention of others on my server,  who frequently reported her.

Veronica Ashford is still there and that since July or so.

About just 4 bots being on your server,

You make it sound like those are the only ones who were actually there. We barely covered the Cursed Shore and still found these. Additionally the last patch had only been 12 hours before which always lowers the botter population.

Harbinger of Fools
    Originally posted by Dakeru

I did this run with you since you implied that I can't differ a bot from a silent player. Are you still saying I can't differ?

The point was Pnozen who has been there for 4 months botting 24 hours a day. Can you give me a good reason why such an obvious bot was never caught up in the ban waves you mentioned? She was reported plenty of times since I did bring her to the attention of others on my server,  who frequently reported her.

Veronica Ashford is still there and that since July or so.

About just 4 bots being on your server,

You make it sound like those are the only ones who were actually there. We barely covered the Cursed Shore and still found these. Additionally the last patch had only been 12 hours before which always lowers the botter population.

I've said silent players aren't proof of anything and the screen shots aren't definitive proof either.

A video of erratic movement is a much more compelling argument.

Is Pnozen back?

I was again in cursed shores this morning and I haven't noticed any bots around the areas we spotted those bots. And as you said one of those is called the bot road for some reason.

And the guys we saw weren't on in the morning and aren't on now, so either they aren't 24/7 bots or they have been banned (I have a second account that can keep tag on them if they block my main one).

Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

Ok you didn't see them, so obviously they aren't there.

How about it - add Kiual to your friends list and see for yourself how long it takes to get him banned.

Harbinger of Fools
    Originally posted by Dakeru

Ok you didn't see them, so obviously they aren't there.

How about it - add Kiual to your friends list and see for yourself how long it takes to get him banned.

I already added him and the other guys we saw.

I saw them online on the following day, but not since. I don't play 24/7 though and it might be that they play in invisible mode and/or that they relocated area/servers.

Had another look at the Cursed Shore today because I wanted to see what has changed.

The Megaserver makes the problem even more obvious.

About 75% of the map population are minion master necros. Never seen this many minions in one place before.

The rest were mostly rangers, warriors and new to the "popular" botting builds were guardians witch torches.

Out of the about 30 bots I reported today only 2 were semi afk answering me some minutes later - the rest was completely afk.

Also I noticed many of the minion masters were asuras all with the same headgear so I assume RMT behind some of them.

Harbinger of Fools