Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will there be a lack of healers?

13»

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx
    Originally posted by Iselin

From Nick Konkel on reddit a few minutes ago:

Why do you guys hate healers so much? :( By which I mean, there are SO many different and unique ways to build a dps character, less so for a tank (but still a fair number of options)...but for healers we get pidgeon-holed into Templar's restoring light tree and/or restoration staff weapon.

• I think you have a very reasonable concern about the depth of healing builds versus dps builds. We are currently building several new skills for release in future patches, and while I can't confirm the specifics, many new healing and support spells will be included. (We do love healers, I swear!)

When i read stuff like this i feel that game is releasing too soon. image

Is this your first MMO? Patches and additions are a way of life in the MMO genre.

Releasing classes with half of the skills and even acknowledging that and promising to add more skills in future isn't your normal patches and additions in life of MMO genre.

You apparently don't understand how Skill Lines work in this game independent of "Classes" or for that matter, how additions to everything, including class abilities, is always tweaked in every MMO.

I remember some very significant changes to Rift's soul abilities that happened several months post release, for example.

The "releasing too soon" comment as a response to a developer mentioning future plans is either ignorant of MMO development -- hence my question about your MMO experience -- or just a contrived way to find fault just for the hell of it..

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• JeleenaJeleena Member UncommonPosts: 172
    Originally posted by dlld

There will be a lack of healers if the role of healing is difficult relative to dpsing, same with tanking.

Sadly the stock UI of this game is far from healer friendly since you get so little information on your partymembers.....so that will be a barrier as well. 

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

There most probably will be a shortage of healers, almost always is.

There most definitely will be a shortage of skilled healers, given that healing in ESO will not be a matter of staring at a grid of health bars and buff icons.

Players that master the healing arts in ESO will most likely gain a reputation and be in great demand.

• PyatraPyatra Member Posts: 644

Why do you guys hate healers so much? :( By which I mean, there are SO many different and unique ways to build a dps character, less so for a tank (but still a fair number of options)...but for healers we get pidgeon-holed into Templar's restoring light tree and/or restoration staff weapon.

• I think you have a very reasonable concern about the depth of healing builds versus dps builds. We are currently building several new skills for release in future patches, and while I can't confirm the specifics, many new healing and support spells will be included. (We do love healers, I swear!)

Is this your first MMO? Patches and additions are a way of life in the MMO genre.

Releasing classes with half of the skills and even acknowledging that and promising to add more skills in future isn't your normal patches and additions in life of MMO genre.

You apparently don't understand how Skill Lines work in this game independent of "Classes" or for that matter, how additions to everything, including class abilities, is always tweaked in every MMO.

I remember some very significant changes to Rift's soul abilities that happened several months post release, for example.

The "releasing too soon" comment as a response to a developer mentioning future plans is either ignorant of MMO development -- hence my question about your MMO experience -- or just a contrived way to find fault just for the hell of it..

This is correct, it was suppose to be Skill Lines.  As in a lot of DPS and Tanking abilities are in the non-class, non-weapon skill lines but almost no good skill or AoE buffs for healers.

Also the person who posted the NB build earlier, you need to go ahead and morph your Blessings of Protection, I would suggest size morph if you will be doing a lot of PVP large group.  Otherwise I like it!  I noticed it was a Breton... you know where it's nice to be a Breton... SUNNY AND TROPICAL SUMMERSET ISLES!

• PyatraPyatra Member Posts: 644
    Originally posted by Jeleena
    Originally posted by dlld

There will be a lack of healers if the role of healing is difficult relative to dpsing, same with tanking.

Sadly the stock UI of this game is far from healer friendly since you get so little information on your partymembers.....so that will be a barrier as well. 

Level 25 Rest Staff/Sorc healer.  I never had any problem with that, because if you are a healer you have to LOOK at your people on screen, not party bar display.  Party bar display will screw you in ESO as a healer in anything bigger than a 4 man group.  You need to watch the battle field and judge by looking at how many hurt people are physically close to each other and where they are located.  You really need to step up you spatial perception/relation to allies.  Most of your heals will be aimed but not be focused on any one person or only fire in the direction you are looking.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

It'll be like most other MMOs, I'll be the only tank online.  So when I log in, I get 20+ whispers about joining a friend's group to tank for them :D

It's good to be a tank :)

• PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844

First ,they need to fix their soft aimbot help,if i aim something it really must hit him.

hear me Zenimax ,its far easier to aim something that i see than something i dont ,IE too large hitbox or aim helper.

Ps.Sure they tried to help people who cant aim correctly but it only makes it harder even for them.

Pss.Imagine playing Counter Strike with far too big hitboxes and aim helper,if theres 2 or more people in pack ,its not you who is picking your targets.

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• AericynAericyn Member UncommonPosts: 394

I intend on a light armor Templar to start, but I am excited about other possibilities as Templar as well. Templar gets me close to feeling like a AD&D Cleric (not 4th ed.). Except for being a scourge to the undead. Maybe one of the skill lines will fill this in a bit.

My dungeon experience is still quite limited in ESO. One observation is that the team cannot simply rely on a "great" healer. Damage mitigation is in the hands of the rest of the team as well. Blocks, interrupts, and getting out of the way are all going to make a difference.

As another said, I suspect good tanks will be a rare compared to a good healer.

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

Whilst there will be a shortage of healers and tanks (will be very short of tanks), I think the biggest issue we're all facing in ESO is poor DPS.

In many MMOs out at the moment, DPS is really easy, mainly because of how important tanks and healers are in the group. In WoW, RIFT, SWTOR, etc, the tank just sucks up all the agro and takes all the damage. ESO doesn't work that way. Not only do DPS need to actively avoid damage (anything telegraphed), they also have to off-tank on trash, because the tank isn't able to pull all the trash to them and actually survive, no matter how good the players behind the tank and healer are.

The game simply isn't designed to work that way, everyone has a part to play and depending on the encounter that can mean taking a few hits for the team even if you're DPS.

I usually play tanks, but am leaning more towards healer in ESO at the moment, but either way, I know I'm going to get so angry when I come across the first dumb ass DPS that starts running around the room the second they get agro from one little trash mob, rather than playing smart by dropping a CC or making sure they stay near the healer or tank. Line of sight on an idiot panicking from a mob hitting him is going to be a real issue in PUGs.

• ReticulataReticulata Member UncommonPosts: 98
    Originally posted by bobfish

Whilst there will be a shortage of healers and tanks (will be very short of tanks), I think the biggest issue we're all facing in ESO is poor DPS.

In many MMOs out at the moment, DPS is really easy, mainly because of how important tanks and healers are in the group. In WoW, RIFT, SWTOR, etc, the tank just sucks up all the agro and takes all the damage. ESO doesn't work that way. Not only do DPS need to actively avoid damage (anything telegraphed), they also have to off-tank on trash, because the tank isn't able to pull all the trash to them and actually survive, no matter how good the players behind the tank and healer are.

The game simply isn't designed to work that way, everyone has a part to play and depending on the encounter that can mean taking a few hits for the team even if you're DPS.

I usually play tanks, but am leaning more towards healer in ESO at the moment, but either way, I know I'm going to get so angry when I come across the first dumb ass DPS that starts running around the room the second they get agro from one little trash mob, rather than playing smart by dropping a CC or making sure they stay near the healer or tank. Line of sight on an idiot panicking from a mob hitting him is going to be a real issue in PUGs.

Did you play TSW? That game had some of the best dungeons I have seen, with dynamic dungeon encounters that cause players to really think. They really weeded out the DPS-Tards quickly. They usually laid dead on the floor for the entire fight, every fight.

SOE changes name to Daybreak games, cause dey break games.
  • bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679
    Originally posted by Reticulata
    Originally posted by bobfish

Did you play TSW? That game had some of the best dungeons I have seen, with dynamic dungeon encounters that cause players to really think. They really weeded out the DPS-Tards quickly. They usually laid dead on the floor for the entire fight, every fight.

Yes, but TSW also had the gatekeeper :(

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

So you conveniently ignored the part where he said more spells will be added? The changes to Rift Souls came much much later on and the healing in Rift wasn't half baked like in ESO at release. There is difference between tweaking and adding completely new spells.

[mod edit]

• AratakiArataki Member UncommonPosts: 239

It is my opinion that a class is "unfinished" when it can't do it's role adequately. In that sense, no, it isn't unfinished. It doesn't have as broad a scope as  DPS does, but it is pretty much even with tanking. That being has a weapon for it (Restoration Staff, One Handed and Shield), classes with supplementary skill lines, and spotty abilities in other skill lines. (The Altar vs Inner Fire in Undaunted for example).

Tanking isn't unfinished, therefore, healing isn't either.

• Neo_LibertyNeo_Liberty Member UncommonPosts: 437
    Originally posted by Arataki

It is my opinion that a class is "unfinished" when it can't do it's role adequately. In that sense, no, it isn't unfinished. It doesn't have as broad a scope as  DPS does, but it is pretty much even with tanking. That being has a weapon for it (Restoration Staff, One Handed and Shield), classes with supplementary skill lines, and spotty abilities in other skill lines. (The Altar vs Inner Fire in Undaunted for example).

I agree.. not to mention nightblade skill line has heals and dual blade skill line has heals... all someone needs to do is invest a couple of points in a heal morph for one of their skill sets and they can off heal themselves to take pressure off of the healer and tank.

Originally posted by Neo_Liberty

I agree.. not to mention nightblade skill line has heals and dual blade skill line has heals... all someone needs to do is invest a couple of points in a heal morph for one of their skill sets and they can off heal themselves to take pressure off of the healer and tank.

Nightblade can do more than just heal themselves. In my experience (granted, doesn't cover Vet dungeons) Nightblade Siphoning is almost a full blown healer on it's own. If the morph Sap Essence was available earlier than it was, it very well could have been.

Nightblade can do more than just heal themselves. In my experience (granted, doesn't cover Vet dungeons) Nightblade Siphoning is almost a full blown healer on it's own. If the morph Sap Essence was available earlier than it was, it very well could have been.

yes.. i can't remember if it's dual wield or siphoning.. but there is one skill where when it morphs it allows you to dot heal all allies nearby.

edit: haha.. nightblade siphoning line fits my sig well. ;)

yes.. i can't remember if it's dual wield or siphoning.. but there is one skill where when it morphs it allows you to dot heal all allies nearby.

Ya, Dual Wield has Blood Craze, which is a HoT heal for yourself. Funnel Health HoTs 3 people, the player and 2 others. For some reason, I've seen "only heals one other player" for Funnel Health in quite a few places. That's not true, it's very useful :)

Ya, Dual Wield has Blood Craze, which is a HoT heal for yourself. Funnel Health HoTs 3 people, the player and 2 others. For some reason, I've seen "only heals one other player" for Funnel Health in quite a few places. That's not true, it's very useful :)

edit: second guessed sharing my char build.