Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game is mechanically really great but...

tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

I prefer the combat pre 1.2 as it was slower and a lot more fun despite the ability delay, however it is so close to WoW, really tight and it makes me wonder why it was never made into a huge deal, the next WoW that it could have been.

I really thing it comes down to the world design, how linear and enclosed it is and how it is essentially a hub game. WoW made this massive open world with seamless transitions between zones and it was amazing for the time. That is what people play MMOs for generally, sadly though with SWTOR at the time of release the same complaints kept cropping up from people, it was always world design.

You feel like you're travelling from small game level to small game level, there is barely any open world PVP and it just feels like you're loading the next level of a single player game. It is a shame because they actually packed a lot of grouped encounters, but the world design just went against that...

The best experience I had was on Tatooine with the Balloon ride to get the Holocron. It was basically the only interesting bit of content in the game designed around it being an MMO, I can bet though that Bioware have taken it out or made it a lot easier to get by now. You had to wait for ages for the Balloon to come so you could all get on it, only it was a hot PVP zone and you'd have fights for it. Really this was the only worthwhile PVP objective in the game... It was so fun to also pretend to be friendly to an enemy, wait till we got on it and then push them off for lols.

There was this amazing town Anchorhead on Tatooine that was fully 3D, you could run all round it and on top of buildings, I think it was the only one in the game like this. I just think if only this was the main trade hub, if only the city was connected to the rest of that world, it would have made for great PVP. Sadly though they cut it off with a Taxi ride to the planet and again showed me why the game failed.... there was just no reason to play it as an MMO, it was just a Single Player game.

The worst thing they ever done was the Fleet Stations, it removed everyone from the world and put them in this hub that doesn't exist in real space of the game, you cannot travel to it, you just instant warp. So all people ever did was stand in the Fleet Station and grind instances or battlegrounds..... well you might as well delete the planets and call it Diablo or something. I hated how you travelled from planet to planet too, they should have made space a much bigger deal, but sadly your ship just felt static, like your ship was on a set and space was just a green screen.

This is why people quit, there was no MMO there, it had all the mechanics of one, was amazingly well crafted, but sadly no structure to hold it altogether. It is a shame because it is such a well made game, probably the mechanically since WoW, just they got the world wrong.

Comments

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by troick

Hmm I take it you have not played in a long time...you end your little book with this is why people left...not bringing up a few other facts.  So let me help you out a bit. 

Sure people left, sure they made mistakes, sure the game is not perfect BUT...

Currently it's top three in population for western Mmos...which means people came back...of why you ask?

I would recommend you go read the patch notes about all improvements they have made, all the content they have added give yourself a little update on the current game.  

Its seems the announcement of adding player housing and guild ships has really stirred up a lot of bad post about Swtor.  No offense just my opinion.  

Regardless of what they do, it is still going to be a closed/bottle necked game where you get sick of doing the same old cut scenes over with your alts. I think I might have a permanent twitch in my thumb from slapping the spacebar so much with it.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    Originally posted by Thorkune

Hmm I take it you have not played in a long time...you end your little book with this is why people left...not bringing up a few other facts.  So let me help you out a bit. 

Currently it's top three in population for western Mmos...which means people came back...of why you ask?

I would recommend you go read the patch notes about all improvements they have made, all the content they have added give yourself a little update on the current game.  

Its seems the announcement of adding player housing and guild ships has really stirred up a lot of bad post about Swtor.  No offense just my opinion.  

Regardless of what they do, it is still going to be a closed/bottle necked game where you get sick of doing the same old cut scenes over with your alts. I think I might have a permanent twitch in my thumb from slapping the spacebar so much with it.

Icon says it all, pressing space bar says it all, this is a game for people who love story, game is not for you but for many it is just fine

• ImpacthoundImpacthound Member UncommonPosts: 367

I would have to disagree with you.  I've played most mmos since wow.  And every person in our guild has multiple alts, not too many games do people enjoy rolling alts in my experience Swtor is one that people who enjoy the game ( there is a lot of them) enjoy rolling alts this is because of the replayabilty.  Now not everyone will enjoy the game and that's normal, but to say "you" referring to everyone will have your same thumb issue is inaccurate.  

I don't play FF14, but I like the idea of playing multiple classes on a single character. I don't personally like having a lot of alts in a game. This was one of the better points of SWG too, being able to change your class & skills depending on what you wanted to do in game, instead of making a new character. I'm probably in the minority since so few games do it, but I wish more games encouraged a system like that rather than making you manage a bunch of different characters. It works for BioWare's design of multiple storylines, but I only wanted to play two of the stories personally, Agent and Bounty Hunter. Finished them, and now I'm not active.

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741
    SWTOR has improved a great deal recently and I am having a great time with it. New content is starting to roll out on a regular basis. Plus.... New Huttball Map Soon!!!! Woot!!!

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

The game is not for everyone, there is nothing wrong with that.  I don't see it changing into what you are looking for...well ever.  Now I have yet to get into wildstars beta but sounds like eso would be more up your alley.  

I don't expect it to change, just discussing it.

ESO is a game I WILL bash outright because of how badly Zenimax is butchering the lore. Regardless if the game plays well or is fun or not, it's a complete mishandling of the IP and every Elder Scrolls game preceeding it. Argonians being immune to poison racially & there being a poisoned argonian questgiver. Moon sugar being an illegal narcotic ingredient(basically opium) nationwide & especially addictive to Khajiit; it's an HP restoring candy and has no laws or racial effect on players or NPCs anymore. The actual Scrolls being silly pvp MacGuffins, Bosmir being prettified, it's all atrocious. BioWare does capture the setting of the Old Republic comics and fiction preceding theirs nicely, to their credit.

Originally posted by Tygranir
    SWTOR has improved a great deal recently and I am having a great time with it. New content is starting to roll out on a regular basis. Plus.... New Huttball Map Soon!!!! Woot!!!

I'm a little surprised by Quesh Huttball, with them pushing the new Republic vs. Imperial story initiative, I would think there would be another story-related warzone like Denova being important to the Explosive Conflict. Maybe that's something they're saving for fall or winter though.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by Thorkune

Lol, this is such a great illustration of how good this game actually is. I felt the same, that I was made to endure cut scenes the second and third time around, but the damn class stories were so good! 

Let's be honest, it's really no different in any other game, apart from having to spam space. It's like run around the quest hub, Talk/Accept, Talk/Accept, Talk/Finish, and so on and so on. I think that you know it's a strong game when you find that people are actually creating alts. Shoot, I think it's probably an indication of a strong game if you get a good percentage of people to play through to Max level even. I know there's a great number of games I simply couldn't make myself play anymore, after getting half way there. 

I would vote SWTOR best SP MMORPG ever! :) Oh, and for those who haven't done raids in it, it's totally worth it, you get to kill a freakin' Rancor! Not Luke-style either! Experience justified just by that.

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

I would vote SWTOR best SP MMORPG ever! :) Oh, and for those who haven't done raids in it, it's totally worth it, you get to kill a freakin' Rancor! Not Luke-style either! Experience justified just by that.

Video of one of my favorite raid mobs. Loved to bounce around like a ball LOL. Or screaming locked in mind trap "get me out of here!!!". One of the first raids in SWTOR but fond memories.

It's a story mode, easy cake. I remember one time on hard mode that we killed this boss with only one player left LOL. That was fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73UYzSHcz4o

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E