Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

unreal engine 4 is the new king of graphical king?

archeagekingarcheageking Member Posts: 88

does anyone know if unreal engine 4 beats cryengine 3 used by archeage in terms of pretty graphical power?

and is cryengine 3 is outdated already?

Comments

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

In MMORPG terms, Cry 3 is top notch.

Any Cry 4 game will need years of development, at which time Cry 5 comes out.  Then people ask if Cry 4 is outdated, because Cry 5 is out.

It's an endless cycle, and developers need time to just pick what is current, then run with what they have.  So back to the start of the circle, in MMORPG's cry 3 is as good as it gets, currently.

Any Cry 4 engine released in a complex MMORPG won't come out for years.. thinking 2016-2018+?

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

It's not the engine you use.  It's what you do with it that counts.

Unless, of course, you're using an engine that can't do something that you need and you don't have the full source code to modify it yourself.

Originally posted by Quizzical

It's not the engine you use.  It's what you do with it that counts.

Unless, of course, you're using an engine that can't do something that you need and you don't have the full source code to modify it yourself.

If someone licensed an engine, then find it can't do "everything" that you needed in your requirements & design specs, and you don't have the full souce code, then, either:

(1)  That is a serious complaint against the engine developers

(2)  Shoddy engine that will never meet expectations.  The engine was inferior.

(3)  A really bad purchase from people who never understood software requirements in the first place.  The engine was designed for something else.

(4) ???

(5)  fail

It is always about what you do with an engine that counts.  Development time is often disregarded by customers, who don't understand this.  Everything takes time.

• TalemireTalemire Member UncommonPosts: 839
    Originally posted by Karteli

Orly? I'd sure like to know which MMORPGs are using Cry 3 right now. Please enlighten me.

Edit: MMORPGs that are not currently in kickstarter pre-alpha due to release sometime in 2016 if lucky.

Isaiah 41:10
    Originally posted by Talemire

Orly? I'd sure like to know which MMORPGs are using Cry 3 right now. Please enlighten me.

ArcheAge.

Beta soon (tm), release this year.

There will be more to follow, once specs get out to the public.

• TalemireTalemire Member UncommonPosts: 839

ArcheAge.

I'm curious to see specs, too.

Isaiah 41:10
  • prestodotexeprestodotexe Member Posts: 35
    Im currently playing archeage beta and its very fun! Although its russian server it runs fine here in the states. Just gotta find an english patchover for translation and your golden, there are 2 that i know of just check google. only thing is the translation isnt 100% but you understand the quests at least :)

haha presto!

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    there is no better looking game than Star Citizen when it is finished, made me cry engine

ArcheAge.

I'm curious to see specs, too.

Indeed, many are.

It behooves developers though to stay mum on the matter, because fans & potential customers will just scream about Cry 4.  "The game isn't even out yet, just get off your lazy bums and upgrade to 4 before it's too late.", "Great, a new game using an old engine."  You have been around, you know the drill.

(Other games, even small ones,  are not likely coming out this year though)

Rodney Dangerfield (rip), sums it up, "I get no respect".

• Kaijin2k3Kaijin2k3 Member Posts: 558

From my experience, UDK makes it easy to make indoor environments look great and CE3 makes it easy to make outdoor environments look great. You can definitely make great environments in both regardless of what they are, but you need more effort for outdoors in UDK and indoors in CryEngine.

UDK is a lot easier to use; CryEngine tends to be annoyingly picky in how everything is setup. This is nothing for big houses, but smaller houses beware.

For accessible source code in Cry, you're going to be dropping large bucks for that, while Epic is more than happy to give away the source code.

With all that, for MMOs? I'd go with CryEngine.

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071

Edit: MMORPGs that are not currently in kickstarter pre-alpha due to release sometime in 2016 if lucky.

Cabal 2 uses cry3 engine.

http://www.cabal2.com/main.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CryEngine#CryEngine_3

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910
    Originally posted by Kaijin2k3

From my experience, UDK makes it easy to make indoor environments look great and CE3 makes it easy to make outdoor environments look great. You can definitely make great environments in both regardless of what they are, but you need more effort for outdoors in UDK and indoors in CryEngine.

UDK is a lot easier to use; CryEngine tends to be annoyingly picky in how everything is setup. This is nothing for big houses, but smaller houses beware.

For accessible source code in Cry, you're going to be dropping large bucks for that, while Epic is more than happy to give away the source code.

With all that, for MMOs? I'd go with CryEngine.

There's more to developing an MMO than just how good the graphics look.  There's a reason why more than a few indie developers have gone with Unity over UDK or CryEngine.  All that mid-tier stuff isn't going to program itself, and that stuff can be the big kink in an MMO's armor.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• PocahinhaPocahinha Member UncommonPosts: 550
    The engine used in wow is old...with lots of improvements over the years, but its still light years ahead of any engine in mmorpg games, I mean real mmorpg games not the instanced single player with co-op that are calling themself mmorpgs.