Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] ArcheAge: How Deep the Rabbit Hole Goes

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

We learned a lot today about ArcheAge, coming from Trion and XLGames later this year. Sure we've seen the game in Korean, and in Russian now... but at GDC? Everything was translated and in English. And that detail alone, made everything else easier to grasp. Read on for a full bulleted list of the details we learned from today's meeting.

Bill Murphy's ArcheAge: How Deep the Rabbit Hole Goes.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

This games hype has been such a rollercoaster I think it's going to be hard to predict how this game will actually do from it. That's probably a good thing considering what normally happens with games that are over hyped.

I don't know what to think anymore, but I can't wait to find out. I'm looking forward to trying this one out. 

Did they hint at all about when we might see it ?

• imaginaimagina Member Posts: 104

Well... I love this game, i really do, played it for a month on the russian version and it really does a lot of things no mmorpg's are doing, or are doing anymore, in it's very own unique way, not about "combat" obviously, but all the things around crafting and leveling your craft abilities, that's a game that is played on the very long term, just like eve, the more you progress in your crafting skills the less "costy" crafting becomes and it rewards you greatly in the long run for leveling one or two professions to max, and it takes a lot of efforts to get "one" profession to max.

I especially love the fact the world is totally open, you can fly or sail / run everywhere, there is not a place that can't be reached, either using an upgraded glider that can fly high with skills, or be it using the airship travels, sailing on the sea is also amazing, i can't understand how these developers can make things we would all want in a mmorpg while western devs can't even accomplish the 1/8 of this freedom and complexity of a game's system.

Unfortunately, some very skilled people were already profiting from the lack of security around the game files, but it's mainly xl games fault for almost "giving" out the game with no security at all on the files, they even made a terrible mistake by letting the full sdk cryengine and editor open to "download" basically and wrongfully put it altogether in a release of the korean client a year ago, releasing it one day with encryption and then the next day without encryption on the database, yada yada, it's very clumsy and unprofessionnal from a developer.

Resulting that, the game will be plagued with a lot of private servers and programs that will easily exploit all it's weaknesses, they basically "gave" the source code, and it's like it's almost an open source project for skilled coders...

Anyway, i can't wait to pre order the na / eu release and will surely play with two accounts to generate a lot of work points.

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788

I nearly stopped playing the RU beta, i dont want to spoil myself too mutch :)

And then, its hard, not to login.

Maintainance atm ... lol ^^

Yeah, i know, Maintenance ends in 3 hours !

It's so addictive... It's too addictive, i gotta stop xD

• MensiSMensiS Member UncommonPosts: 4

As far as I played on RU servers it a very nice game. Let`s just hope we won`t see anything from 1.0 path into English version/

Same thing, Respect me, to be respected!

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910
    Basicly Eve Online in a fantasy setting!!!
    yes please !!!
    I am so tired of themepark mmo's.....
    All the sandbox elements in AA seem to be spot on and something all those other mmo's just keep using.

I cannot wait to sub to this game :)
  • drtack1drtack1 Member UncommonPosts: 273
    I'm excited for this one!
  • EldrachEldrach Member RarePosts: 416

To be honest, i think the game will be too complex for the western audience. We're used to logging on, and understanding the game mechanics in its entirety within one hour...Any more than than and people start going....this game..sucks..don't understand shit..log off..done with the game forever.

You can call the western audience shallow, but the fact that there's a TON of alternatives with less complex but fun systems makes this a real danger for Archeage.

I have a feeling archeage will fall on it's ass like all other translated asian mmorpgs.

Well "other asian mmorps falling on their ass" are staying around a pretty decent amount of time "up" and running, with still a lot of players playing them, even so called game "failures" to the eyes of a vocal minority on mmorpg sites, (like Age of conan or even worse, mortal online) are still around and are available for play, and still counting years.

But Archeage is very different from most "asian translated mmorpg's" it has actually something of it's own, it's not a "mix" of stupid asian mmo style or culture put together, it actually have some persona and do things it's own "complex" way that makes it unique and worth playing, and actually it's pretty good that it involves a bit of a progression curve to be able to understand all it's economic / crafting / Sandbox mechanics.

I'm just fed up with the usual dumbed down mmorpg's that offers no challenge, and no "fun" in being shallow, too "easy" to handle, when it's too easy then it has no complexity, and no depth to it, i'm glad Archeage doesn't go the easy way to do things, it actually need a bit of player dedication and implication in the game to figure out things.

Anyway, when it will be translated in english, these so "complex" systems will be understood fairly quickly. I see it like having some kind of Eve complexity in crafting / sandbox elements and some little pinches of "O game" elements while going across the sea for trade routes / delivering goods on ships with a flotilla of players protecting the cargo around from pirates or other guilds / factions.

It is a very cool, deep, and nice game to play and enjoy in guild when mastered.

• theNILVtheNILV Member UncommonPosts: 49

I think one huge issue with game is that from start it seems like normal themepark game. But after getting max lvl or running out of quests you hit wall with it. After this game is pretty much fully sandbox, There is zero guidance what you needs to do. Personally that was quite refreshing, but i can see that as problem for most of people. So i dont have high hopes or expectations for western release, mostly because of its community. Good thing that we have Russian version and can keep on playing it!

Proud member of best EU roleplaying guild
    Twitter - @theNILV
    Twitch - @theNILV
  • tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Sounds good but I'm not gonna get excited before they even have some dates.
  • KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

Can't wait to see the translated demo presentation from GDC, I believe scheduled for tomorrow (Friday).

With labor points, I think only F2P should be able to buy them in the cash-shop, up to and not exceeding the amount subscribers get daily / weekly max.  So a F2P'er could pay for a weekly sub instead of a monthly one if they can only play occasionally.

It sounds like double dipping to allow subscribers to pay even more for extra perks, regardless of how it may get spun as fair.  My only concern atm really, because the rest is stunningly beautiful.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• AzraeAzrae Member Posts: 1
    Can't wait for this game! and I think the fact this game is, as some people have refered to as being "complex", adds even more excitment to the game. The fact is anything is possible in AA, so many possabilities and so many paths to choose, it would be hard to get bored when you can log in every day and play a completely different aspect of the game without finding it repetitive. 
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by Eldrach

To be honest, i think the game will be too complex for the western audience. We're used to logging on, and understanding the game mechanics in its entirety within one hour...Any more than than and people start going....this game..sucks..don't understand shit..log off..done with the game forever.

You can call the western audience shallow, but the fact that there's a TON of alternatives with less complex but fun systems makes this a real danger for Archeage.

I have a feeling archeage will fall on it's ass like all other translated asian mmorpgs.

ArcheAge will have a loyal following in the west, this makes for a good community. Vanguard is closing down and EQNEXT might be years away as yet. I'll be glad if the people you describe stay in games like Eso. I play Age of Wushu which has many innovative features and a hard leading curve.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by Mothanos
    Basicly Eve Online in a fantasy setting!!!
    yes please !!!
    I am so tired of themepark mmo's.....
    All the sandbox elements in AA seem to be spot on and something all those other mmo's just keep using.

I cannot wait to sub to this game :)

Think you will find Age Of Wushu fits that bill more than ArcheAge.

• AlalalaAlalala Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Very excited about AA, and it grows the more I learn. WS and ESO are such disappointments - it's great to have something else to look forward to.
  • DrinkFeckDrinkFeck Member UncommonPosts: 189
    Originally posted by rawfox

I nearly stopped playing the RU beta, i dont want to spoil myself too mutch :)

And then, its hard, not to login.

Maintainance atm ... lol ^^

I'm in the same predicament, I don't want to experience an ArcheAge burnout (if that's possible).

• DEAD.lineDEAD.line Member Posts: 424
    That last screenshot looks amazing. I haven't played the game yet, but from most videos and pics i see, AA has great world design. I think it just looks organic with a good variety of beautifull vistas like that. Hoping for the best.

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Wish it was aim to shoot...can't stand tab/target anymore.

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• cylon8cylon8 Member UncommonPosts: 362
    playing the ru beta convinced me that when this comes out stateside I wont be playing any other mmo. the game is that beautiful, that much fun, and that immersive. even the lame starting theme park quests didn't bother me because one they encouraged you to explore the world it was jusrt awe inspiring.  this game will gut rift of its population and maybe even lotro too. it has a lot to offer and depending on the relationship xl has with trion it can continue to be fleshed out into an amazing sandpark.

so say we all

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791
    Wish they would hurry the hell up and release this. 
  • RhimeRhime Member UncommonPosts: 283
    Originally posted by Eldrach

I hope you're right because those of us who want a challenging, fun, immersive game will welcome this. Quickly weeding out the kids(and adults) with gaming ADD and "level up quick" mentality can only make our server a better place to play.

I'm sure we'll be fine...:)

• KeksXKeksX Member UncommonPosts: 47

Thanks for the article, MMORPG!

I have to be nitpicky though:

You will never see a player use just one skilltree, that'd be his certain death! Even if they just use a few skills of a tree, they will always have 3!

Also:

Piracy, meaning the actual Pirate Faction, is pretty dead in ArcheAge(except for RU because of the novelty). I hope XLGames gets around fixing it, because atm it's something you want to avoid instead of something to pursue(even for the most hardcore PvPers).

• TbauTbau Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 401
    Too bad Trion made the decision to go full separate Steam like launcher with Glyph, will be taking a closer look at Japanese version of it from a friend and decide if the game is worth it.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Yeah this article sounds amazing. I've seen what poor management can do to amazing though. It seems poor management happened in Korea, and Russia. 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"