Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wrong Decicions Addon Changes ....MMO? Cash Shops? AGH

KabonKabon Member UncommonPosts: 78

My Opinion as a soon i have to ...omg dang cant they create a good mmo anymore i have to make one myself but dang nah too much work .....oh well i guess i have to be stuck in this mmo times of boredomhellofcasualsamemodelgawditssuckssommotimeofnorealinspirationandideasnorrealplansandvisions. AHHHHHHHHH

No Enemy infos fine for me to a ceraint degree BUT i want to be able to see if he casts something by ANIMATION if that isnt possible its just a random game who wins no tactics involved.

No infos about your own Character ...is the worst decision you can do Zenimax...basically you need to feel if your debuffed or watch glowing effects or go read about a boss fight .. this boss makes a debuff that increases the damage you take every time you move ...you just have to go read about tactics to beat a boss cause you have no way to know what certain things do ...thats just wrong. You need to feel when your Heal over time is gone and your other 10 short term buffs....

Now if you could easily recognize all these effects on your character there would be no need for UI infos but in reality you will never be able to with 10 different glowies around you.

As a very long therm MMO player i would kinda like to kick every Casual player that thinks limiting infos about your own character is a good thing.  IRL i better know if im burning ...so i can find some water .In Game thers just no way to Know at Times with just Glowy effects.

Basically a Casual Gamer comes and Crys "Mommy the old experienced  gamers have too much informations i cant beat them WAHAAAAAAAAA"!!!!!!!. I dont know how to interpret or even read... or why i even should need thoose informations its just too much for my lil not used to the MMO world Brain yet.

Zenimax tells casual yes my son we know this is your first game we know you just play mmos since 5 minutes we know you have no clue but ur whining about what the experienced players could do to you if they had even more informations so we make them as blind as you are .

Happy now ?

Casual says "Yes Mommy" Game goes free to play once the 800k casuals left the game in a  few Months. Thats prolly bout the Time they need if not longer to recognize what it lacks,.... experienced player is mad too and leaves as well .... Game goes F2P . And after 5 year f2p and a cash shop where you can buy xp potions or sky shard skill point potions server closes...... sure they made like 200Million bucks in that time so it doesnt matter to them anyway.

Congrats ESO Zenimaxx.

But Mr.Old Mmo Guy still waits for a Game with aDeveloper that has a real Vision for his Game.Sure this guy is gonna be playing ESO but hes having a bad feeling already about the future and already sees a cash shop too ..... DOOOOOOOM

(this guy didn care much bout gramatically corect writing skills nor does he care + my main Language is Swissgerman anyway ...so bear with my limited english wordage please)

i Wish there would be Ppls feeling the same.....about it...

Comments

• HabitualFrogStompHabitualFrogStomp Member UncommonPosts: 370

Maybe Im the minority, but Im a hardcore player that abstains from add ons and meta gaming. Im just that damn hardcore, and that damn good that I dont need them. So from my point of view, people who use addons and need to crunch numbers too much are noobs who need to get on my level, not the other way around.

You're just mad that you now have no chance against people like me.

That is all.

• F2PlagueF2Plague Member UncommonPosts: 232
    Originally posted by HabitualFrogStomp

Maybe Im the minority, but Im a hardcore player that abstains from add ons and meta gaming. Im just that damn hardcore, and that damn good that I dont need them. So from my point of view, people who use addons and need to crunch numbers too much are noobs who need to get on my level, not the other way around.

That is all.

I have to agree with you, add ons are a joke. These games are dumbed down to the fullest extent lately as is, and people still need add ons to tell them what is going to happen next. On top of that stuff like DPS meters just turns the party into a competition, rather than a team effort.  

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    Originally posted by HabitualFrogStomp

You're just mad that you now have no chance against people like me.

That is all.

I'm with you man. I'm actually appreciating the minimal UI as well. While I don't consider Addon users 'noobs' - I just don't want this game to end up looking like WoW with addons everywhere. 

• SenanSenan Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Ha, I really love this "casual" argument. So, the players that don't feel the need to have their hand held with addons that tell you everything at all times, are the "casual" players? I find that backwards as all hell. Time to be a big boy and play the game on the same footing as everyone else.

• HaralinHaralin Member UncommonPosts: 148
    Player who need addons are the worse player imo. Without Addons it is much harder to play, you must watch your enemies and cannot  see how much stamina or magicka they have,  without Addon is pro! :D
  • MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

DPS meters are making you a beter player, but hey keep standing in the back casting a fireball once every 7 seconds slacking your way trough dungeons.
    You see i use addons to make myself a better player.

I want to know how long that fear or sleep last
    i wint to know how long my dot ticks o i can recast it and not overwrite that last tick by mindlesly spamming a key.
    I want to see what theya re casting so i dont interupt a wrong school of magic or interupt some weak spell.

But hey its ESO everything is already meciocre so lets make it even worse.

I hate addons like gearscore tough, they add nothing but gear checks and say nothing about a player skill or expririence.

I wasnt buying ESO at launch anyway, WIldstar looks far more competitive in both PVE and PVP so i think most people will go that route.
    Might pick up ESO in a year or so, but damn they could have made gold and turn it into shit again.
    It seems Zenimax is trying hard to chase players away :P

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Mothanos

DPS meters are making you a beter player, but hey keep standing in the back casting a fireball once every 7 seconds slacking your way trough dungeons.

i wint to know how long my dot ticks o i can recast it and not overwrite that last tick by mindlesly spamming a key.
    I want to see what theya re casting so i dont interupt a wrong school of magic or interupt some weak spell.

I hate addons like gearscore tough, they add nothing but gear checks and say nothing about a player skill or expririence.

I wasnt buying ESO at launch anyway, WIldstar looks far more competitive in both PVE and PVP so i think most people will go that route.
    Might pick up ESO in a year or so, but damn they could have made gold and turn it into shit again.

Plays the way's it's intended=bad player

Uses addons to circumvent what's intended = the "better" player...image

It's like the aim-botter saying "see I'm a pro"

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• the420kidthe420kid Member UncommonPosts: 440

cash shop = who cares let ppl buy mounts or pretty pets whats it to you its not offering power in any form

mods change = Yay imo..  They didnt change mods for your own experience can still make the UI you want and all the good stuff just no information for your enemy's.  No playing the UI you play the game, no waching spell alerts and warnings you must react to the game. 

Whats there to dislike?

Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by Mothanos DPS meters are making you a beter player, but hey keep standing in the back casting a fireball once every 7 seconds slacking your way trough dungeons. You see i use addons to make myself a better player. I want to know how long that fear or sleep last i wint to know how long my dot ticks o i can recast it and not overwrite that last tick by mindlesly spamming a key. I want to see what theya re casting so i dont interupt a wrong school of magic or interupt some weak spell. But hey its ESO everything is already meciocre so lets make it even worse. I hate addons like gearscore tough, they add nothing but gear checks and say nothing about a player skill or expririence. I wasnt buying ESO at launch anyway, WIldstar looks far more competitive in both PVE and PVP so i think most people will go that route. Might pick up ESO in a year or so, but damn they could have made gold and turn it into shit again. It seems Zenimax is trying hard to chase players away :P

Uses addons to circumvent what's intended = the "better" player...

Addons are a tool to make you a better player.
    have you seen the animations in ESO ? did we play the same game ?
    the animations are so horrrible done you cannot see wtf is being casted....
    So an addon that lets you see what your oponent cast so you can interupt it is bad ? realy ?
    A dps meter addon so you can min max your build and rotations is also bad ? realy ?

whatever makes you think about addons i think they add alot more to competitive player.
    they also show who is bad in healing and dps, but i gues thats what most people are affraid off.
    Being told they are bad or using only 50% of they class ability when some people want to perfect their rotations and cooldowns.

• SawlstoneSawlstone Member Posts: 301
    Addons I use in game are basically just for quality of life. I thought that's all they were really meant for too. I have a 2 door fridge, the one side kinda hits the wall when I open it, so I make sure my milk is on the other side. Quality of life shit, no biggie.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Originally posted by Mothanos DPS meters are making you a beter player, but hey keep standing in the back casting a fireball once every 7 seconds slacking your way trough dungeons. You see i use addons to make myself a better player. I want to know how long that fear or sleep last i wint to know how long my dot ticks o i can recast it and not overwrite that last tick by mindlesly spamming a key. I want to see what theya re casting so i dont interupt a wrong school of magic or interupt some weak spell. But hey its ESO everything is already meciocre so lets make it even worse. I hate addons like gearscore tough, they add nothing but gear checks and say nothing about a player skill or expririence. I wasnt buying ESO at launch anyway, WIldstar looks far more competitive in both PVE and PVP so i think most people will go that route. Might pick up ESO in a year or so, but damn they could have made gold and turn it into shit again. It seems Zenimax is trying hard to chase players away :P

So an addon that lets you see what your oponent cast so you can interupt it is bad ? realy ?
    A dps meter addon so you can min max your build and rotations is also bad ? realy ?

whatever makes you think about addons i think they add alot more to competitive player.
    they also show who is bad in healing and dps, but i gues thats what most people are affraid off.
    Being told they are bad or using only 50% of they class ability when some people want to perfect their rotations and cooldowns.

LOl. As if this had anything at all to do with PVE... It's very simple and they said it very clearly a couple of weeks ago right here:  We do not want those who aren’t interested in using an add-on to feel compelled to do so because they cannot remain competitive without them.

If the add-on gives you a competitive advantage in PVP, it got nerfed just like they said it would be.

As to the lame excuse that the animations suck... The only abilities you can interrupt are those that are non instant and if you can't tell when a non-instant animation starts to play then you're freaking blind. And most of them are also quite distinct...which you would know if you watched the game instead of your add-on uI.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• SenanSenan Member UncommonPosts: 788

As much as I hate phrases like this, I felt it was applicable -- Deal with it. Learn to play the game without the extra cues and complete certainty and be a better player for it.

I'd also argue that it's far more rewarding to excel at something when you're not relying on a crutch to do it.

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868

All the QQ on the official forums over the API gutting is just fantastic.

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1495788-addon-api-pared-down-significantly/page-15http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1495788-addon-api-pared-down-significantly/page-15

Only casuals need addons to gain an advantage in PvP.  Hardcore players use addons to get rid of their compass and cross-hair: http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info48-WykkydsFullImmersion.html

Get that shit and only PvP in first person and only then are you any good at all.

ESO just happens to have the most horrific animations ever seen to man.....but ok.

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257

Uses addons to circumvent what's intended = the "better" player...image

+1!

• OtakunOtakun Member UncommonPosts: 874
    Addons are an intended part of the game and have been since the game first was in beta. People decide to take advantage of what the game offers and people complain that they are casuals. Two weeks before release the company takes away part of what was originally an intended part of the game and now people are saying that people are complaining about not playing the game as intended. Pretty sure people are missing the point since for almost a year for people on the PTS server, these addons were how the game was intended until today. The game has grown and is a much better game cause of certain addons and now people are saying good riddance to them. Those who are anti-addon seem to have their priorities mixed up here.  
    Originally posted by Otakun
    Addons are an intended part of the game and have been since the game first was in beta. People decide to take advantage of what the game offers and people complain that they are casuals. Two weeks before release the company takes away part of what was originally an intended part of the game and now people are saying that people are complaining about not playing the game as intended. Pretty sure people are missing the point since for almost a year for people on the PTS server, these addons were how the game was intended until today. The game has grown and is a much better game cause of certain addons and now people are saying good riddance to them. Those who are anti-addon seem to have their priorities mixed up here.  

Yeah? And how does your opinion that they always meant to let you use any add-on you created in beta when the game went live fit in with what Zenimax said here 2 weeks ago:  http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/821/feature/8282

We reached out to Zenimax Online Studios for comment on this issue and this is what they had to say:

As we get closer to launch, our beta events have continued to grow in player-size, and that growth has resulted in even more and more of you taking the time to experiment with our UI modding tools. It’s exciting to see the amazing add-ons you have come up with and for us, as developers, it’s also a very important part of the beta process. Seeing what the community wants to add or change is helpful as we continue to tweak and balance the game – what are people looking for? what works? what doesn’t? Finding the right answers to these questions often means leaving the API very open during this beta phase. It helps us see where limits may or may not be and helps us determine what makes the best possible ESO experience for everyone.

We welcome creativity and have built ESO on player-choice, but as a game played with thousands of others, we also must be mindful of any mods that give clear mechanical advantages in competitive situations.  Maintaining a level playing field will always be our first priority. Our intent with add-ons is to encourage you to modify your UI in a way that is more fitting for your personal play-style, but not ones that could allow you to make choices for others.  We do not want those who aren’t interested in using an add-on to feel compelled to do so because they cannot remain competitive without them. As we continue beta testing, we’ll continue to evaluate add-ons and the implications they have on other players, but you can expect changes to the API before launch and will share that information as it becomes available. Thank you to all of you that have created add-ons during this time – we appreciate your help in making ESO the best it can be.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

They just dont want to play 100% of their max, instead they want to be sub par and dont want anyone to tell them they are baddies and need a cup of learn to play.
    So if your wiping on a boss for the last hour its extremely hard to tell who is to blame.
    You cant show that the 2 dps are performing so bad and that they need to do more dps as the healer goes oom.
    Or the healer is so bad that the tank is receiving no dispels as you cannot see the debuffs.

Yes thats what addons are for, making you and your group better as you can actualy see LOGS wth is goign wrong.

And all those addons that people are against makes it posible to shove that log under their nose with proof that they realy need to play better.

But you see they all come out of the woodwork with NOOO ADDONS NOOOO HELL NOOOO LOOK AT ANIMATIONS !!!! LOOK IT AINT MAH FAULTH WE WIPING BRO !!!

DPS meter - Castbars - 2 of the best addons you can have to weed out the noobs, so it tells you right off the bad what kind of people like to play ESO.

• SikhanderSikhander Member UncommonPosts: 220

Add-ons do not add more to a competitive player. They add information - period. The same information is given regardless who the consumer of that information is.

What add-ons do is that they create a meta level where someone that spends time on setting up their UI, keeping track of the latest API changes etc gets an edge. So being competitive not only boils down to how you play while in the game but also on how you spend your time while not playing the game (time spent on your add-ons).

There is no right or wrong here.

Personally - I think add-ons and the API set should be very very restrictive since I like playing the game rather than lurking add-on forums to be competitive. And I am very (almost too much) competitive when playing a game.

There is a reason why e-sports games have locked UIs. And that is as competitive as it gets.

But I agree with one thing: They need to work on their visual signals (casting animations et cetera) to make it more clear and distinct.

Originally posted by Iselin

Yeah? And how does your opinion that they always meant to let you use any add-on you created in beta when the game went live fit in with what Zenimax said here 2 weeks ago:  http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/821/feature/8282

We reached out to Zenimax Online Studios for comment on this issue and this is what they had to say:

As we get closer to launch, our beta events have continued to grow in player-size, and that growth has resulted in even more and more of you taking the time to experiment with our UI modding tools. It’s exciting to see the amazing add-ons you have come up with and for us, as developers, it’s also a very important part of the beta process. Seeing what the community wants to add or change is helpful as we continue to tweak and balance the game – what are people looking for? what works? what doesn’t? Finding the right answers to these questions often means leaving the API very open during this beta phase. It helps us see where limits may or may not be and helps us determine what makes the best possible ESO experience for everyone.

We welcome creativity and have built ESO on player-choice, but as a game played with thousands of others, we also must be mindful of any mods that give clear mechanical advantages in competitive situations.  Maintaining a level playing field will always be our first priority. Our intent with add-ons is to encourage you to modify your UI in a way that is more fitting for your personal play-style, but not ones that could allow you to make choices for others.  We do not want those who aren’t interested in using an add-on to feel compelled to do so because they cannot remain competitive without them. As we continue beta testing, we’ll continue to evaluate add-ons and the implications they have on other players, but you can expect changes to the API before launch and will share that information as it becomes available. Thank you to all of you that have created add-ons during this time – we appreciate your help in making ESO the best it can be.

Don't see how this would change my opinion. They obviously would come up with a reason for their decisions and claim reasons why it was always intended. It's called PR, the same BS we hear from every company to justify bad decisions. 

• HabitualFrogStompHabitualFrogStomp Member UncommonPosts: 370

For me, games have always been about feel, experience (not that numbers kind) and instinct.

Intuition is a muscle, if you dont use it, it gets weak. In that respect, no addons dont make you a better player, its the opposite. The moment they're taken away (like in this case) you will become weaker by default because other players who dont use addons are used to playing with finesse and game savvy.

Look at it this way, say you are asked to do a very complex job which requires good memory, quick thinking, and reasoning power. You decide to use an information tool they give you where you can look up any answer you want. Tom is your colleague, he doesnt use this tool, he figures things out on his own, uses problem solving skills and develops himself on the merits of his skill at the job. One day the boss says, ok you cant use that tool anymore. Tom gets promoted, you have to do many buddy shifts until you can get used to doing your job without a crutch.

In TESO, fear the army of Tom.

Don't see how this would change my opinion. They obviously would come up with a reason for their decisions and claim reasons why it was always intended. It's called PR, the same BS we hear from every company to justify bad decisions. 

Yeah. it's also called dismissing all evidence that doesn't fit your pre-conceived notions... Where is your quote of the devs saying you would get to keep your beta add-ons?

It's idiotic to think that in PVP, they would allow people using third-party add-ons to have it all over the players using the uI tools they themselves provided.

If it was a matter of just reformatting the same information already available without add-ons in a better way and getting the advantage of better visual indicators that would be one thing. But it wasn't that was it?

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• Sk1ppeRSk1ppeR Member Posts: 511
    Originally posted by Kabon

My Opinion as a soon i have to ...omg dang cant they create a good mmo anymore i have to make one myself but dang nah too much work .....oh well i guess i have to be stuck in this mmo times of boredomhellofcasualsamemodelgawditssuckssommotimeofnorealinspirationandideasnorrealplansandvisions. AHHHHHHHHH

No Enemy infos fine for me to a ceraint degree BUT i want to be able to see if he casts something by ANIMATION if that isnt possible its just a random game who wins no tactics involved.

No infos about your own Character ...is the worst decision you can do Zenimax...basically you need to feel if your debuffed or watch glowing effects or go read about a boss fight .. this boss makes a debuff that increases the damage you take every time you move ...you just have to go read about tactics to beat a boss cause you have no way to know what certain things do ...thats just wrong. You need to feel when your Heal over time is gone and your other 10 short term buffs....

Now if you could easily recognize all these effects on your character there would be no need for UI infos but in reality you will never be able to with 10 different glowies around you.

As a very long therm MMO player i would kinda like to kick every Casual player that thinks limiting infos about your own character is a good thing.  IRL i better know if im burning ...so i can find some water .In Game thers just no way to Know at Times with just Glowy effects.

Basically a Casual Gamer comes and Crys "Mommy the old experienced  gamers have too much informations i cant beat them WAHAAAAAAAAA"!!!!!!!. I dont know how to interpret or even read... or why i even should need thoose informations its just too much for my lil not used to the MMO world Brain yet.

Zenimax tells casual yes my son we know this is your first game we know you just play mmos since 5 minutes we know you have no clue but ur whining about what the experienced players could do to you if they had even more informations so we make them as blind as you are .

Happy now ?

Casual says "Yes Mommy" Game goes free to play once the 800k casuals left the game in a  few Months. Thats prolly bout the Time they need if not longer to recognize what it lacks,.... experienced player is mad too and leaves as well .... Game goes F2P . And after 5 year f2p and a cash shop where you can buy xp potions or sky shard skill point potions server closes...... sure they made like 200Million bucks in that time so it doesnt matter to them anyway.

Congrats ESO Zenimaxx.

But Mr.Old Mmo Guy still waits for a Game with aDeveloper that has a real Vision for his Game.Sure this guy is gonna be playing ESO but hes having a bad feeling already about the future and already sees a cash shop too ..... DOOOOOOOM

(this guy didn care much bout gramatically corect writing skills nor does he care + my main Language is Swissgerman anyway ...so bear with my limited english wordage please)

i Wish there would be Ppls feeling the same.....about it...

Sure...cool...can you say this in English now? 

Yeah. it's also called dismissing all evidence that doesn't fit your pre-conceived notions... Where is your quote of the devs saying you would get to keep your beta add-ons?

It's idiotic to think that in PVP, they would allow people using third-party add-ons to have it all over the players using the uI tools they themselves provided.

If it was a matter of just reformatting the same information already available without add-ons in a better way and getting the advantage of better visual indicators that would be one thing. But it wasn't that was it?

You want me to find evidence that would have been under NDA from a year ago compared to yours which just popped up within the last 2 weeks? Ok, let me go find that needle in a haystack for you ... 

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142

Lizzy – Will we be able to create other mods such as Damage Meters?

Maria – So through LUA scripting you could figure out a way to do damage meters. We don’t show any numbers to you. We don’t want you to be worrying about numbers when you’re fighting we want you to be reacting to what’s happening in the world and we think that when numbers are up on the screen you’re reacting to numbers and how can I get my damage higher, oh did I blocked and things like that instead of thinking how do I tactfully respond to the situation is so we will not be supporting numbers in any way shape or form on screen. But through clever LUA scripting you can you could probably make it happen.

Lizzy - So the players that the really want to have it will have it

Maria – If you really really want to have it you can make it.

http://www.tesoelite.com/2013/08/eso-interview-with-maria-aliprando/

In terms of addon support Elder Scrolls Online are going with LUA addons. LUA is a wide spread programming language often used by MMO games to allow players to create their own tools and addons. If you have MMO experience you have probably played World of Warcraft. This MMO also uses LUA which allows for the creation of many useful and diverse addons. We expect to see just as many useful add-ons for ESO that will help players throughout the game. We plan to host the top addons from different developers and provide a one-stop page for all your addon needs.

What kind of addons will be supported by the game?

Maria Aliprando, one of ESO devs, has confirmed that the UI of the game is fully modable for LUA scripting. That means, if you have enough knowledge you can create different tools such as Damage Meters, Healing Over Time meters, tools for crafters, raiders and other useful programs.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/6179813#6179813 

There would be restrictions to addons, but the way they handled it was a kneejerk reaction by Zenimax, just like the starter island revamp.

Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
This discussion has been closed.