Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Compared to other launches - how bad does it look?

gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

Yes we can all dream about a secret build and it will all be wonderful come launch. And yes some people will buy the game even if there are bugs - and others won't. That said if the last beta is representative of what TESO will be like at launch: how will it compare to other launches?

My own opinion is that launches in recent years have been getting better as people have become less tolerant. Sadly I think TESO could be a step backwards.

Anyway - assuming it launches like the last beta - and to kick things off I have listed several comparisons. WARNING: sweeping generalizations incoming! That said I think TESO will be:

• Worse than GW2
  • Could it be on a par with FFXIV
  • Worse than TSW
  • Worse than SWTOR
  • Worse than Rift
  • Possibly on a par with WAR
  • Worse than AoC
  • Better than Vanguard .... hopefully.
  • Worse than DDO, what little there was of it
  • Worse than LotR
  • Worse than GW1
  • Worse than WoW: certainly for people who started on the new servers from day 5
  • Tough to compare - to EQ2: if you could run EQ2 it was OK - so many couldn't run the game properly
  • Worse than CoH
  • Worse than Lineage 2 (based on my pre-lauch experience as I opted to play CoH, they launched together) 
  • Worse than DAoC
  • Worse than EQ1 - although EQ1 had server issues at lauch (chat rooms) so this is a tough call
  • Tough to compare UO: see EQ2. If your computer couldn't run the (various) UOs it was the end of the line. If they could - fine. 
Sweeping generalisations as I said and no I am not saying all the above were perfect :) I have also stuck to "western" launches since "eastern" launches have usually been sorted before they release here. And I have stuck to mainstream titles pretty much. So no e.g. Rubies of Eventide - which was unplayable - in the list.

:)

Comments

• AparitionAparition Member UncommonPosts: 91
    barely remember the launches to most of those games, kinda redundant anyway since eso hasn't launched yet

• RigamortisRigamortis Member UncommonPosts: 207

I think this is a MOOT point currently since the game has yet to launch.   Not gonna buy into the "Chicken Little" theory.

-Rig

Former GM and associate game designer for SOE and Square Enix.  (2001-2008)
  • HabitualFrogStompHabitualFrogStomp Member UncommonPosts: 370

Look, a backhanded way of saying the game will fail miserably, how quaint.

I'm going to play the game regardless, there was still plenty of stuff to do in beta that was hella fun even with numerous bugged quests.

As usual these forums will be filled with nothing but whining come launch day. Not even a spectacular launch could avoid that. So in the end it's not going to change this place one way or the other.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Worse than AOC? Nah, I can't see that.

Anyway the way I look at it is you have to judge by severity rather than simply the number of issues. Like WAR it's issues were  severe (engine performance related) and were never fixed. It essentially killed any chance at success for the game, and gave it a short, short life.

The biggest issues with ESO are the quest related bug/issues, and the group breaking issue with phases, many speculate that the quest thing is also phase related.IF they get that fixed before launch, everything else is far more tolerable than the issues AOC had or WAR.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• AzzrasAzzras Member UncommonPosts: 407
    Not sure if OP is trolling or was never in any of those title launches...

• atziluthatziluth Member UncommonPosts: 1,190
    Better than AO... Still without a doubt one of the worst launches for an MMO. Beyond that it is all speculation at best until the game actually does launch. 

-Atziluth-

- Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

• the420kidthe420kid Member UncommonPosts: 440

I dont care about any bugs or anything as long as the game comes on and I can start playing when I am suppose to then its a winning launch for me but if there some sort of server down or latency issue making it hard to play then thats gonna suck. 

Theres going to be problems I am sure they all have issue but how big that will have to wait and see

Bare in mind the most successful game in history world of warcracks first launch of vanilla there was 5 mins loot lag everytime you tried to loot an item, you had to basicaly not loot and just kill mobs even if you needed to gather quest loot for a quest I wouldnt have tried it the loot lag was so bad.  Not to mention that first night my server I was on archimonde was brought down for 3 DAYS due to traffic issues on that server, so me and my friends all restarted on burning blade and by the time archimonde was back up we were to established in BB we just stayed.  And thats a story from the most succesful game in history so who knows what you can expect :)

• DealdrickDealdrick Member UncommonPosts: 85

It depends.........

Depends on which build they use, depends on how they address all the phasing issues.........

Depends if they leave the current mechanics in for skipping the starter zones..........

Depends on how well their CS team responds to in-game tickets.......

Lots of variables, but my guess is they won't use this last build we saw without significant changes.  There's no way they didn't see the hundreds of threads on the beta forums alone criticizing it. I think it will actually be better than last weekends beta test, but not too much. 

As far as just functionality goes, better than AoC, worse than Rift, prolly comparable to TSW.

• MamasGunMamasGun Member Posts: 152

I'm very interested to see how ESO will pan out, honestly- though I have absolutely zero interest to play it.  I'm curious for a few reasons.

It seems people are completely split on this game.  From both sides- ES fans and MMOvets alike.  Some ES fans compeltely deject the idea of ESO- they'd rather a co-op system then MMO.  Others think this is the natural step to take with these open world games- connecting the fantasy world they love with the outside world. 

I'm also curious to see how far a name can carry this.  One of the reasons I feel this way is based off of what I've read and heard through friends who have partaken in the ESO's betas.  Some feel it's just a themepark MMO with the ES name slapped on it, and others say it feels right at home in the ES franchise.  I have reserved judgement as I've said, ES was never my thing- too betwixt and between and bore bore bore to me. 

I hope that it succeeds.  Granted, my hope is a little selfish and way off in terms of hoping the success of ESO will lead to a Fallout Online down the road.  Then again- I also feel that this game will look pretty dated in a few years, and the only people that will play it are those that have trapsed every rock in Skyrim and plan to do the same with ESO. 

I just wonder about the name thing because of SWToR.  I won't lie- I'm not a SW fan.  I played SWToR for a while, and find myself enjoying the mechanics, but didn't get into the story because I was never a fan of it.  Some of the things people found awesome were lost upon me.  And from what I understand, SW fans are split on SWToR, as well.

TL:DR- I hope it succeeds, but would not be surprised to find it peter out sooner rather than later.

Loves: SMITE, WildStar, Project Zomboid, PSO2, DCUO,

Worst Online Communities: WoW/WoD(the OG MMO Trolls), DayZ/WarZ, SMITE/LoL/DOTA, EVE Online, APB
    "I’m ready for
    All the comparisons
    I think it’s dumb and it’s embarrassing
    I’m switching off
    No longer listening
    I’ve had enough of persecution and conditioning
    Maybe it’s instinct- We’re only animal"
    - Lily Allen, Sheezus

• VooDoo_PapaVooDoo_Papa Member UncommonPosts: 897
    eh, ya I don't think this guy was involved during the launches he listed. I can't take this post seriously at all.

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Are there some quest bugs?  Sure.  But as far as actual stability goes, ESO will probably have one of the better launches.  And you completely nuke your credibility when you say WoW was better than ESO's last beta, WoW's launch was a hot mess.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• Scott23Scott23 Member UncommonPosts: 293

Wow it would have to be pretty bad to compare with some of those launches.  Personally I had no trouble with the last beta weekend so it is hard to imagine it failing on an epic level.

On the other hand I am not getting the game so I will probably just get some popcorn and look at the forums when I want some entertainment :)

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

FFXIV 1.0 launch was so bad let me reminisce  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvLppb80xYc

ESO isn't close to being that bad, so comparing it to being on par FFXIV 1.0 isn't realistic.  I think the more obvious comparison would be gw2 as ESO is counting on AvAvA to hold people and as we saw with gw2 taking the same castle the 500th time doesn't have the same appeal it did the first time.  That being said I do expect ESO to field better end game PvE, but it's too early to tell on that front.

Originally posted by CazNeerg
    Are there some quest bugs?  Sure.  But as far as actual stability goes, ESO will probably have one of the better launches.  And you completely nuke your credibility when you say WoW was better than ESO's last beta, WoW's launch was a hot mess.

Funny, I had zero issues at all for WoW's launch.

Well apparently ( based on speculation) the quest bug is an issue of stability That said I personally had no lag, crashes, no issue with graphics pop in from server stress (culling issues). That alone is better off than AOC or WAR were already. And this was during a stress test...

Originally posted by reeereee

Never played when they needed a reset? *stuck in loot animation*....

Originally posted by Distopia

Ok, ok, sure I remember the stuck in loot animation but it was fairly rare and not that hard to deal with certainly doesn't seem close to being on par with ESO's broken quests.  Don't remember any reset issues, but I didn't insist on trying to play on high pop servers where I think most of the issues were. 

Although I didn't know about forums back then so maybe that taints my perception with positiveness.

• timidobservertimidobserver Member UncommonPosts: 246

I pretty much stopped reading when you said worse than SWTOR. On launch day for SWTOR, people spent most of their time unable to even login. Characters were getting stuck in void zones and unable to login for days. 

The biggest issue that ESO has ATM is bugged quest, and GW2 had a ton of bugged main quests at launch. I had to stop playing my engi and make a new character because my engi main quest was bugged out. 

That said, ESO will have plenty of bugs at launch. It should be expected. Cancel your preorder and order in a month or two if bugs are a deal breaker for you. 

• NatjurNatjur Member UncommonPosts: 125

They have an 'overflow' server for launch (no pvp on the overflow server) so that should solve a few issues, but the login server can only handle so many requests at once, so I think it will be a middle of the road launch.

As in it will handle the load, but some quests will be broken and a little que for the log in server

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by Distopia

Ok, ok, sure I remember the stuck in loot animation but it was fairly rare and not that hard to deal with certainly doesn't seem close to being on par with ESO's broken quests.  Don't remember any reset issues, but I didn't insist on trying to play on high pop servers where I think most of the issues were. 

Although I didn't know about forums back then so maybe that taints my perception with positiveness.

Really .....Wonder what day of the week TESO will have down for server maintenance ....on a second thought I think if I get to play more than 1 day out of the first 5 it will have WOW beaten

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

My opinion based on the launches i was actually part of:

• Worse than GW2
    • Much Better than FFXIV
    • About same than TSW
    • About same as SWTOR
    • Worse than Rift
    • idk about  WAR
    • About same as AoC
    • Much Better than Vanguard 
    • Better than DDO, what little there was of it
    • Worse than LotR
    • idk about  GW1
    • idk about  WoW
    • About same as EQ2
    • Much better than CoH
    • idk about  Lineage 2
    • idk about  DAoC
    • idk about EQ1 -l
    • idk about UO

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• daemondaemon Member UncommonPosts: 680

Cant go worse then AoC for sure...

probably around Lineage2.

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by Natjur

They have an 'overflow' server for launch (no pvp on the overflow server) so that should solve a few issues, but the login server can only handle so many requests at once, so I think it will be a middle of the road launch.

As in it will handle the load, but some quests will be broken and a little que for the log in server

You think there will be more people on the login servers for the 30th then what played last beta ?....I had zero issues getting into game the last two beta's

• LisaFlexy22LisaFlexy22 Member UncommonPosts: 450
    If it launches in the same state as it was this past weekend it will be on par with Age of Conan.  It won't be quite to Vanguard levels of broken but people will likely still call it "the new Vanguard or Age of Conan".  That's my guess.  But again, that's if it launches with all the same issues - which it could.  We DID play on the most recent build regardless of what some people are trying to say.
  • BoojumBoojum Member Posts: 16

Someone with less troll, more analysis should compile a similar list, perhaps ranking each game on a number of points, perhaps 0 to 5 rankings for each, and then create the same list in ranked order, rather than chronological.  Then using that poll the Beta participants to get a feel for where it actually compare at launch.

I played Beta.  I have played a few other Betas.  Other than server load, the only game I played that got significantly worse in the final weeks between Beta and Launch was EQ2.

On the other side of that though, I can't think of any game that got significantly better at Launch.  Although many games get better in the weeks and months to follow.

This discussion has been closed.