Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What was your single greatest MMO accomlishment?

124»

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by mysticaluna

You know what's sad? People that bash video game accomplishments probably think athletes have a real career. Are football playes really successful? Not to people who don't care about football or sports, I couldn't care less about how good of an athlete someone is, but I certainly will applaud you for video game accomplishment myself. I can understand the value of all things that people do, but why is everyone so obsessed with sports? 

E-sports and sports are not any more important than playing video games or anything else is... 

That may be true, but at least 99.999% of the population cannot duplicate what these athletes, or e-athletes do, while most pve video game "achievement" can be "accomplished" by most.

This is no different than "flipping burger" is not considered an accomplishment but becoming a tenure professor in a major research university  is .... because the latter is quite difficult, and you have to beat out many others to do it.

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by mysticaluna

You know what's sad? People that bash video game accomplishments probably think athletes have a real career. Are football playes really successful? Not to people who don't care about football or sports, I couldn't care less about how good of an athlete someone is, but I certainly will applaud you for video game accomplishment myself. I can understand the value of all things that people do, but why is everyone so obsessed with sports? 

E-sports and sports are not any more important than playing video games or anything else is... 

That may be true, but at least 99.999% of the population cannot duplicate what these athletes, or e-athletes do, while most pve video game "achievement" can be "accomplished" by most.

This is no different than "flipping burger" is not considered an accomplishment but becoming a tenure professor in a major research university  is .... because the latter is quite difficult, and you have to beat out many others to do it.

This is only because the game is designed that way.  In older MMOs not everyone made it to the top.  Lets consider that the game could be made even more difficult to reach the top then they were.  That's provided that reaching the top level is the achievement.  There are lots of poker players, but only a few poker players win the championships.  That has nothing to do with physical attributes.  The same can be said for chess or any other mind related game.  I know you like to say patience is not important it's just time, but many games rely on you being very patient.  I'll point out chess again.

• WingeyeWingeye Member Posts: 58

out growing the spectrum the genre is currently aiming for with their casual and themepark stuff with cheap systems and features

and i feel proud

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Originally posted by LauraFrost

Waiting for a new genre (what MMORPGs should be). Let's see how long would it take this sad and incompetant industry to pick this potential market up.

Sad for you because you don't like the games. But incompetent? How can you claim that when the industry is growing? Even something like TOR, which many hates here, is a huge financial success. That is very competent .. in doing business.

Except that tor has never claimed to be a financial success outside the minds of fanboys.

Closest themepark, wow clone(etc) that has made any real claims along those lines is rift and they released income rather than profit, so how much of a success is questionable.

Most tell you how much more money they make after the go f2p(without actually comparing the 2(f2p and p2p) models)

• blondehblondeh Member UncommonPosts: 540
    Has to be getting Jedi status in pre cu star wars galaxies and a jet pack :)

• RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711

Proving Rogue haters that they suck.

1.  PUG Cleric says "Rogues are useless in this dungeon.  We don't need you." (friends convince cleric to let me join)

2.  10-minutes or so into the dungeon, cleric dies and the other cleric (one of my friends) dies.  Rogue (me) lives.

3.  Finish off the beholder, heal myself up.  Pop out a res scroll, res the cleric and heal him (with a heal scroll), and then disable the traps ahead.

4.  Cleric didn't say a word the rest of the dungeon.

I felt so accomplished.  Good Rogues got a bad wrap because of the idiot Rogue that didn't understand A. Threat Control, B. How to be a real DnD Rogue.

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
    Originally posted by Karahandras

Except that tor has never claimed to be a financial success outside the minds of fanboys.

Making more than $220M in 2013 is not a financial success? That is making back the investment in merely a year.

Only haters and people with no idea about money would not think that is a financial success.

Originally posted by Flyte27

This is only because the game is designed that way.  In older MMOs not everyone made it to the top.

It does not matter. It is artificial. It is no different than you get an achievement if a RNG goes right. That is just not an achievement in my eyes.

I am sure you disagree, but again, we are not here for the agreement, are we?

• BrixonBrixon Member UncommonPosts: 259

Playing City of Villains. I logged on and joined my friend's full group already in a mission. When I entered the mission I could see in the chat that my team was in a big fight and loosing bad. When I entered the room I saw my last team mate going down. I was playing a character with a rez that needed a dead NPC to trigger. It was a beautiful sight, just as I entered the room I found my dead NPC and popped the rez and restored all 7 of my team mates, it felt very heroic even as a villain. Didn't always get to use that rez, but it was epic that time.

Also getting my first character to lvl 50 in DAoC, back in the early days. 

• Dragon43591Dragon43591 Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Completing my first Exar-Kun run in Star Wars Galaxies and rolling the exact number on the exar kun mural which was the second one on starsider.
  • Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574

This is only because the game is designed that way.  In older MMOs not everyone made it to the top.

It does not matter. It is artificial. It is no different than you get an achievement if a RNG goes right. That is just not an achievement in my eyes.

You could argue that every achievement in life is an illusion to a degree.  Most people wouldn't do that though because it's depressing and defeatist.  You might as well give up, lie down, and die.  As I've stated before things in life have value if you give value to them.  To me the olympic sport of curling is dumb and silly.  It is none the less an olympic sport that some people take pride in doing.  Most games started with a few people having an idea of something that would be fun to do, but it grew and became more than that.  Any game could be considered a hallow achievement.

You could argue that every achievement in life is an illusion to a degree.  Most people wouldn't do that though because it's depressing and defeatist.  You might as well give up, lie down, and die.  As I've stated before things in life have value if you give value to them.  To me the olympic sport of curling is dumb and silly.  It is none the less an olympic sport that some people take pride in doing.  Most games started with a few people having an idea of something that would be fun to do, but it grew and became more than that.  Any game could be considered a hallow achievement.

Not really.

Scientific achievement is not an illusion ... you have to discover something for real to publish a peer reviewed paper.

Becoming a best-selling novelist is not an illusion ... you have to create a story many will be interested enough to buy.

I can go on and on about real life achievement that is not artificial ... at least not like video game where a dev can tune the difficulty up or down to create the illusion.

• Not_Too_BrightNot_Too_Bright Member Posts: 18
    Originally posted by DocBrody

Solving investigation missions in Secret World without walkthroughs or spoilers.

Best feeling you will ever get from an MMO

If you have a console from last generation, or your kids do, check out LA Noire. For 20 bucks, it has some cool cases to solve.

Originally posted by Not_Too_Bright
    Originally posted by DocBrody

Solving investigation missions in Secret World without walkthroughs or spoilers.

Best feeling you will ever get from an MMO

If you have a console from last generation, or your kids do, check out LA Noire. For 20 bucks, it has some cool cases to solve.

LA Noire is also on the PC.

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788

... when i got my first Burdon of Competence in Pandemonium raids in Anarchy Online.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    As far as satisfaction goes, I think the hero of Tatooine quest in SWG was it for me. It is my all time favorite quest chain.
  • KrissvalnorKrissvalnor Member Posts: 3

Ultima online :

7 X lev 100 mage

Vanguard :

Diplomacy level 50 and some epic quest