Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This Beta Weekend Change Anyone's Mind About the Game?

Comments

• ShrillyShrilly Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Originally posted by handlewithcare

elders scrolls online should be changed to ESBO

everyone scrolling for bugs online,and paying top dollar for the previlage to enrich zenimax executives.

Thats the cold hard truth right there. 

People sink their teeth right in tho.

• Zohdi118Zohdi118 Member UncommonPosts: 76
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx
    I am surprised at so many people canceling their pre orders.

You have to remember which forums you are posting to.  I think gameplay is great and will hold me for years to come.  Pre-ordered in January and couldn't think of another title that I've enjoyed the gameplay this much since DAoC.  To each their own.

• alexhpy98721alexhpy98721 Member UncommonPosts: 264
    The forums have nothing to do with it... nobody could get past the bugs seen this weekend... and what scared most people is that its their NEWEST build... says so in the mail.
  • SetzerSetzer Member UncommonPosts: 261
    Originally posted by alexhpy98721

Their e-mail said this was their latest version... i expected to be better compared to previous beta`s where i had fun.

But it was horrible i`ll cancel my preorder unless they do one more beta before launch where everything actually works... because i`d rather wait than play what i played this weekend.

And I talked with someone in closed beta who said that this wasn't the latest build we were playing.  Who knows? But good luck with finding a bug-free MMO.  Let me know when you find one.

• NeuroDeusNeuroDeus Member Posts: 6

Another one for the numbers...

Cancelled my pre-order, I did not like the game, and I took time to formulate my own opinions. Was really waiting for this.

Not Playing!

• flguy147flguy147 Member UncommonPosts: 507
    IMO, they should have never ever announced a release date until they had the game running smoother and way less bugs.  If your product isn't close to being bug free then don't make an exact date for release.  When its working well then announce a release date for 6 weeks later and do the betas to do the last little bit for tweaking.  I didn't play AOC at launch, played it a year later and loved it but that as AFTER they fixed things.  And they lost tons of people because of the launch, I am really scared the same thing will happen in ESO.  You have one chance at launch and if you think people are mad from beta bugs, wait until it has all these release bugs for a game they paid for and isn't free anymore.  The outrage will not be pretty.   And this is coming from a Fan of the game.
  • hail2dathiefhail2dathief Member UncommonPosts: 232

After talking to other beta testers on twtich etc. it seems that about half the people had bad exp. and the other half had no problems.  I was talking to some people that said they had no lag and only 2 or 3 quests that were bugged, while i had about %80 of my quests bugged and massive lag spikes and got dropped a lot.  From what i am gathering, it seems to be some phases of the server were fine while other phases were shit.  LIke me, i got stuck in an awful lag filled phase with lots of the spawns bugging because of soooo many people camping spawn, while others had no problems whatsoever.

One thing I will try if this is happening to me in EA is finding players or friends in another phase that aren't having problems and grouping with them and using the "travel to player" to go to their phase...see if that works.

• DelCabonDelCabon Member UncommonPosts: 258

I cancelled my CE order for now. I will be waiting to see how ESO plays out over the coming months.

I keep hearing that they are using an "old build" to stress-test the game. Why am I downloading huge files to patch the game before every beta weekend? Why are the exact same quest arcs broken every week for the last 5 weeks? Don't you have to show some progress in terms of bugs before people begin to doubt the development effort?

This last weekend had even more problems than the last. On top of the fact that nearly every quest I left on my toon from the previous weekend was broken, I then couldn't even log-out as my ESC key would not pull up the control UI. Add those to me typing /reloadui every few minutes while trying to sell or craft, the game crashing wayshrines and the lock-up's as you try to exit.

You can try to sell me that its still "beta" but with just a few weeks until early release, the reality is that this game is in "marketing" mode. They are putting as many eyes on this game as possible to generate hype and potential orders. Or if this really was just another stress test of an old build, they need to swap out a dev-nerd for a business-nerd and establish some balance in the force.

I love this game. I have been excited to play this game live since my first beta weekend months ago. It fits my play-style very well and I was looking forward to jumping into early access on my beefy white horse.

With that said, I am not one to waste time on negativity. I'd rather play than troll. However I have been down this cautionary road before and been burned. This will be the first time I exercise some restraint.

1. Anarchy Online Beta, pre-ordered, knew they had lots of bugs, prayed for a miracle.... (returned a year later, great)
    2. Shadowbane beta, pre-ordered, knew they had lots of bugs, hoped for the best... (RIP)
    3. Vanguard beta, pre-ordered, knew they had a lots of "issues", invested in a Buddha....  (returned 2 years later, amazing)
    Not to say that I have expectations of a flawless release. Every game will have its issues. I just want to see progress or clarification.

Once the bugs are addressed I will be back :)

Sorry for the long post but I was very disappointed after this weekend and needed to vent.

Good journeys.

Del Cabon
    A US Army ('Just Cause') Vet and MMORPG Native formerly of Trinsic, Norath and Dereth. Currently playing LOTRO. 

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Shrilly
    Originally posted by handlewithcare

elders scrolls online should be changed to ESBO

everyone scrolling for bugs online,and paying top dollar for the previlage to enrich zenimax executives.

Thats the cold hard truth right there. 

People sink their teeth right in tho.

Have you never played a game because you liked it that had issues? I wonder how many here would have felt about games like SWG pre-cu when I see posts like this.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Prod1702Prod1702 Member UncommonPosts: 78
    I wish i could cancel my pre order but green man gaming's refund policy is crap. Once they send you a key, they will not let you refund the game. They send you the 5 day early access key with the order invoice making it so that you can not refund the game even if it is less then 1 hour. So i most likely will play it for 30 days and if it gets better (most likely won't) then I won't sub.
    Originally posted by DelCabon

I cancelled my CE order for now. I will be waiting to see how ESO plays out over the coming months.

I keep hearing that they are using an "old build" to stress-test the game. Why am I downloading huge files to patch the game before every beta weekend? Why are the exact same quest arcs broken every week for the last 5 weeks? Don't you have to show some progress in terms of bugs before people begin to doubt the development effort?

This last weekend had even more problems than the last. On top of the fact that nearly every quest I left on my toon from the previous weekend was broken, I then couldn't even log-out as my ESC key would not pull up the control UI. Add those to me typing /reloadui every few minutes while trying to sell or craft, the game crashing wayshrines and the lock-up's as you try to exit.

You can try to sell me that its still "beta" but with just a few weeks until early release, the reality is that this game is in "marketing" mode. They are putting as many eyes on this game as possible to generate hype and potential orders. Or if this really was just another stress test of an old build, they need to swap out a dev-nerd for a business-nerd and establish some balance in the force.

I love this game. I have been excited to play this game live since my first beta weekend months ago. It fits my play-style very well and I was looking forward to jumping into early access on my beefy white horse.

With that said, I am not one to waste time on negativity. I'd rather play than troll. However I have been down this cautionary road before and been burned. This will be the first time I exercise some restraint.

1. Anarchy Online Beta, pre-ordered, knew they had lots of bugs, prayed for a miracle.... (returned a year later, great)
    2. Shadowbane beta, pre-ordered, knew they had lots of bugs, hoped for the best... (RIP)
    3. Vanguard beta, pre-ordered, knew they had a lots of "issues", invested in a Buddha....  (returned 2 years later, amazing)
    Not to say that I have expectations of a flawless release. Every game will have its issues. I just want to see progress or clarification.

Once the bugs are addressed I will be back :)

Sorry for the long post but I was very disappointed after this weekend and needed to vent.

Good journeys.

They state in their beta invite mail for this weekend that this is their new build... hell i`ll make a thread about it i keep seeing people saying this is an old build, its not.

• GrunchGrunch Member Posts: 493
    Originally posted by SwashBuccaneer

Just curious how this beta has affected peoples' opinions of the game.

For some reason I find myself not really wanting to play the game anymore after playing this build and I don't know why.  :/

"I'm sorry but your mmo has been diagnosed with EA and only has X number of days to live."

• skyline385skyline385 Member Posts: 564
    Originally posted by Prod1702
    I wish i could cancel my pre order but green man gaming's refund policy is crap. Once they send you a key, they will not let you refund the game. They send you the 5 day early access key with the order invoice making it so that you can not refund the game even if it is less then 1 hour. So i most likely will play it for 30 days and if it gets better (most likely won't) then I won't sub.

I just had my money refunded yesterday from GMG even though i had the early Access key entered. Of course, the reason i asked for a refund was to buy an Imperial Edition which i wrote in the Support ticket, dunno if that had any influence.

• PemminPemmin Member UncommonPosts: 623

Ive been on the fence for awhile now and I think im just going to wait for the console release on this one. hopefully by that time bugs will be fixed and ill have a better idea of what endgame actually is in the game.

• daisdais Member UncommonPosts: 95
    I am not going to be buying the game, but honestly I probably set the bar too high for them to meet.  I had a ridiculous amount of time playing Skyrim, sunk hundreds of hours in playing and replaying that game exploring every nook and cranny and really getting immersed in the world they created.  What they created here just doesn't feel like that world at all, but more like a bland MMO that feels like a F2P generic title.  It's not a bad game....but it's not a great game either.  There is nothing there that really sets it apart.  I understand they were trying to make a game that took all the best parts of the single player Elder Scrolls experience and bring it into a MMO, but that is EXTREMELY hard to do without sacrificing almost all of the MMO aspects.  It's not like chocolate and peanut butter....more like pickles and ice cream, and I'm not pregnant.
  • BoradinBoradin Member Posts: 27
    Some people expect prime rib when they order the house steak. 

I loved the pvp, that's why ill buy it. 
  • HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599
    I will start considering buying once I hear Phasing in a group is fixed.
    Originally posted by Prod1702

One of the cool things about the EU... they have to refund us within 14 days no matter what... 

Its one of the reasons i usually only buy an MMO days before launch... to save me the trouble of cancelling if it turns out i don`t like it while in beta. Looking at you Age of Conan.

• RetiredRetired Member UncommonPosts: 744
    Was nice to see the size of the areas outside of the starter islands (thank god they removed them). I think the game looks like it could be good for a themepark. Problem is I am done paying for themeparks, so boring.
  • baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

fickle people shouldn't pre-order games, ever.

that said, nope i haven't changed my mind about anything other than the character build i intend to start with, which changes on a daily basis it seems lol

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741
    Originally posted by baphamet

that said, nope i haven't changed my mind about anything other than the character build i intend to start with, which changes on a daily basis it seems lol

You sound kinda fickle in your convictions.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• EnterTheWombatEnterTheWombat Member UncommonPosts: 112
    Was my first beta weekend for the game. I liked the potential variety and was quite fun. I'm gonna pre order this week. Probably not the Imperial version but who knows. 
  • StonergravyStonergravy Member UncommonPosts: 14
    i have also canceled my pre-order. ill wait for it to go f2p. b2p is a solid way to go with this game, not sub.
  • udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by baphamet

There is a common pattern with MMO's these days and pre-orders.  If you go back into other game forums and check the posts made right between the last beta pre-ordering got you access to and the game launching (I.E. credit cards being charged) you will find a common theme of people justifying their canceling of pre-orders.

My personal belief is that for a lot of these people never really had any intention of buying the game and where looking for a reason to cancel regardless of how these beta's went.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by Tygranir
    Originally posted by baphamet fickle people shouldn't pre-order games, ever. that said, nope i haven't changed my mind about anything other than the character build i intend to start with, which changes on a daily basis it seems lol
    You sound kinda fickle in your convictions.

what makes you say that?