Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Yoshida on daily active players

XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,855

FF14 ARR has "about 500,000 people worldwide" that are active on a daily basis.

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/03/14/dragon-quest-x-impressive-300000-daily-active-players-japan/

Comments

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101

Doesn't that put paid to the idea that subscription games are dead ?

Chamber of Chains
  • Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    Originally posted by cheyane

Doesn't that put paid to the idea that subscription games are dead ?

Do you mean it put's to bed the idea?

I'm confused.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101

An expression my father would use often ,it means to put an end. So what I meant was that the argument that subscription games are no longer viable is nonsense since he says easily 1.8 million subs. The old calculation EQ days was 5 times concurrent players which would place this game at 2.5 million easy.

Chamber of Chains
  • poyozopoyozo Member UncommonPosts: 33
    Very nice. Though I no longer play the game (or recommend it), I am glad that it is thriving for those who enjoy it.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

The  only thing i don't like is they have not properly addressed the lag issues which plagued the game since day on the original release.

It does not lag all the time but when it does i have to log out and forget playing because there is 5 second  lag issues.The other day i saw my HP go almost dead and i was like wtf,then just started to run.About 15-20 seconds later all the mobs all at once just appeared,i was not happy.

I also believe it is more than just server issues ,i believe there is some sort of problem related to clearing the cache perhaps memory leaks idk and they can't figure it out either claiming they can't reproduce the problems on their end but of course "THEIR END" would be 0 lan ping >>>maybe 15-25 network ping.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290

FFXIV is my game of choice for right now, has been for a few years. I really enjoyed the 1.23 patch before A Realm Reborn so when they updated it to ARR it was a hard pill to swallow. I am beginning to accept it for what it is now though, it's basically a typical MMORPG with Dungeons, Raiding, Gear Grind, and spammy combat. It does ok with what it has though, and has a very ambitious team. Constant updates keep me hopeful for the future.

I'm kind of surprised at how many people still play this game to be honest. I am hooked because I love the universe and style / graphics.

I think it's severely lacking in the raiding aspect ( 8 mans just feel like a dungeon ). Hopefully in the not too far off future we get 24 man raids for free companies. I also hope they stop making Relic upgrades just require the currency of the patch, as it makes them feel pretty cheap.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Not that these numbers don't matter to me (as long as the suits are happy), I'm just glad to have something to fall back on without post purchasable in-game items trying to entice me. Well at least for now....

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Its nice to see the game is still going strong 7 months after launch. Seems to be bucking the trend. I still get queues every couple days. I noticed its harder to find fate groups at low to mid levels than it was a few months ago but that's predictable. The economy has been steady and market prices don't go shooting all over the place at random anymore. Oh and I got my house woot!

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

500k+ is a very healthy population, for any MMO... especially P2P.

However, I still see people mis-stating something that should be cleared up and understood when talking numbers. The "over 1.8 million" is how many accounts they have, including inactive ones. I really hate it when companies use those kinds of numbers because it always sends out the wrong message (and is surely intended to do just that). While certainly truthful, it's also misleading, as evidenced by people thinking they mean over 1.8 million active players.

To illustrate by way of comparison... It would be like Blizzard saying they have "Over 50 million players!", and people interpreting that as "over 50 million active players". Of course that would be wrong and exaggerated to the extreme. Especially since we know WoW's numbers are somewhere under 10mil at this point. But you get the idea.

A more recent article I read had the actual active numbers somewhere around 600k. That's a very healthy number that does not need to be qualified or couched in any kind of comparison to "what they thought they'd get". It's a solid, healthy number, period. No need to justify it further.

To be clear: I'm not bashing the game here. I'm not saying "it doesn't have 1.8 million players because it sucks". I'm saying, there's no need to misuse numbers to boast or explain XIV's success. ~600k is a very healthy number and certainly one worth stating with confidence. 

I went back from my hiatus from the game to give it another look, and having just finished the main story arc, I'm pretty darn impressed by it so far. I don't know how long that will continue, and I haven't hit too much of the notoriously horrible swath of players that currently plague its end-game, though I've encountered a few doozies already, even in the story dungeons. But for now, it'll keep me playing.

Regardless, I feel it's important to make sure information being shared is accurate as possible. I see people taking offense, or crying "troll!" when someone points out that their active players are "a lot lower" than the 1.8 million people are citing. And they needn't do so.

All I'm saying is... 

1. Don't confuse "registered accounts" (1.8 mil+) with "active accounts" (~600k). They're two different numbers.

2. ~600k active players is an awesome number, and the game will easily go for years on that.

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Despite it all its a good solid game if you are into themeparks. Honestly imo its the best one out there right now, especially if you are burnt out by WoW but still into themepark mmos. World is too small for me but this game should really pop after two expansions.  They are adding some pretty cool stuff in 2.2 like gardening. But the real meat of this game will be the expansions. As I've said after about two of them this game is going to be really really good. Hell the first expansion should be very impressive. Once they add a new continent this game should really pop. I'm tired of your avg themepark but this one is staying on my hard drive just to see the expansions. Especially when Yoshi decides that his Japanese audience no longer needs hand holding or training wheels, that is really when this game is going to take off. Yoshi has already stated that the first expansion will have just as much content as the game at launch.  Unlike most Western mmo's this game is really going to age well and get better with time.

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Originally posted by Jimmydean

I think it's severely lacking in the raiding aspect ( 8 mans just feel like a dungeon ). Hopefully in the not too far off future we get 24 man raids for free companies. 

I think this is maybe my biggest gripe with the game right now.  My FC consists of 5 groups of 8 man raiding groups + the non-raiding people.  Because I'm always with the same 8 people for content, I very rarely even communicate with most of the people in my FC.  Some of that is my fault I know, but the game doesn't lend itself to having content that's made for larger groups.

They're adding the ability to preform 24 man groups for Crystal Tower, but CT is always going to be a step behind in the progression ladder, so it's something more to do "for fun" than actual challenging, progression content.

I'm kind of at the point where I feel I should just make a separate FC with 7 other people, because I don't get anything out of being in a larger FC with people I never or rarely associate with.  I don't know how those FCs that have over 400 people in them aren't segmented in the same regard.

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by nbtscan

I think it's severely lacking in the raiding aspect ( 8 mans just feel like a dungeon ). Hopefully in the not too far off future we get 24 man raids for free companies. 

I think this is maybe my biggest gripe with the game right now.  My FC consists of 5 groups of 8 man raiding groups + the non-raiding people.  Because I'm always with the same 8 people for content, I very rarely even communicate with most of the people in my FC.  Some of that is my fault I know, but the game doesn't lend itself to having content that's made for larger groups.

They're adding the ability to preform 24 man groups for Crystal Tower, but CT is always going to be a step behind in the progression ladder, so it's something more to do "for fun" than actual challenging, progression content.

I'm kind of at the point where I feel I should just make a separate FC with 7 other people, because I don't get anything out of being in a larger FC with people I never or rarely associate with.  I don't know how those FCs that have over 400 people in them aren't segmented in the same regard.

It's easy.

Just talk to other people lol.

You make it sound like you're bound up in this prison with no doors or windows, or any other way out.  The only person limiting your interaction is you. 

I'm brand-new to a FC and I'm talking to just about everyone on a daily basis already. There will always be cliques in terms of content... But that has absolutely no bearing, or shouldn't anyway, on your interactions with others. Hell, maybe you can look for people outside your "core group" to do other things with. 

It's not nearly the mystery you seem to feel it is. Just put yourself out there. Talk. Be social. Be interactive. Get to know people outside your core group. Get out of your comfort zone a bit.

You acknowledge that "some of it is your fault". If you're making no attempt to reach out and talk to all those other people in your FC... then at least for now... it's entirely your own fault. If you start making the effort and others remain mute? Well, that's a different story... at least then you're trying.

Give it a try!

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357
    Originally posted by TangentPoint

However, I still see people mis-stating something that should be cleared up and understood when talking numbers. The "over 1.8 million" is how many accounts they have, including inactive ones. I really hate it when companies use those kinds of numbers because it always sends out the wrong message (and is surely intended to do just that). While certainly truthful, it's also misleading, as evidenced by people thinking they mean over 1.8 million active players.

All I'm saying is... 

1. Don't confuse "registered accounts" (1.8 mil+) with "active accounts" (~600k). They're two different numbers.

2. ~600k active players is an awesome number, and the game will easily go for years on that.

Exactly. I really hate when the community gets fooled into this PR talk. It's as if their favorite MMO corporation simply couldn't do something that every respectable corporation does. We must be able to see through the bullcrap.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290
    Originally posted by Hyanmen

All I'm saying is... 

Exactly. I really hate when the community gets fooled into this PR talk. It's as if their favorite MMO corporation simply couldn't do something that every respectable corporation does. We must be able to see through the bullcrap.

And at the same time, 500k + people logging in every day means there are significantly more subs than that. With that amount of active users on a daily basis, there could very well be 1.8 million paying accounts.

• SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743

All I'm saying is... 

And at the same time, 500k + people logging in every day means there are significantly more subs than that. With that amount of active users on a daily basis, there could very well be 1.8 million paying accounts.

Agreed, but where are those people who said this game would go F2P in 6 month now? lol

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

Originally posted by Searias

All I'm saying is... 

Agreed, but where are those people who said this game would go F2P in 6 month now? lol

"You can't say this game is a success yet! Only after...

...a year.

...first expansion.

...two years.

...three years.

...everyone who like this game is a moron QQ."

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

Do the numbers really matter ? All the arguments around them seem focused on when/if it's going free to play so the actual count, no matter what it is doesn't matter as long as it stays p2p.

Even if everyone agreed on a sub number the point behind it all remains that it's still p2p and they don't seem to be saying anything about making a switch.

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

All I'm saying is... 

No, there really couldn't because 1.8 million players would mean that everyone who bought a box is still subscribed.  If they have so many daily players it's almost odd he didn't go ahead and tell their total subscriptions.  Either way the game is evidently very successful.  I though the combat would limit it to a niche 150k subscribers but it looks like more people than I realized enjoy slow combat.

Also his comments about China seemed odd as I didn't think they were operating in China, perhaps it was a joke that didn't translate well.

• ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670

The subscription number is more than 500k and less than 1.8 million.

My guess is that ~700-800k Subscribers. 

I am waiting to see how the game does once it's released in China and on the PS4.  The PS4 release won't give it as big of a bump since it's a lot of people just upgrading their PS3 version, but I think it will keep the subscription base pretty damn good.

If they keep adding content every 3 months, this game will be around for 10 years.

Originally posted by reeereee

Also his comments about China seemed odd as I didn't think they were operating in China, perhaps it was a joke that didn't translate well.

Closed beta in China will start very soon (if it hasn't started already). The translation work is already done and the patches are not far behind from the global version (if at all, the Chinese beta uses the 2.1 client). Something that seems like an impossible feat to Korean (and Western) developers. SE's localization pipeline is pretty much the best in the market right now (which makes sense, as it is crucial to be able to translate between Japanese and English efficiently for a global MMO).

It would make sense for Yoshida to hold on until the Chinese and PS4 version has been released before bragging with the sub numbers. They may be decent now, but the prospects for the future are even better.