Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzards next MMORPG *Starcraft*

Comments

• FaemusFaemus Member Posts: 321

Yup, definitely would be a sweet MMORPG. . . if they first come out with a Starcraft 2 RTS and expand upon the lore. That would help solidify a foundation to start creating a fully realized MMO world. I wanna be a Firebat - facemelter extraordinaire ::::27::

-- I need a nerf --

• SonOfAGhostSonOfAGhost Member Posts: 383

I don't know if a Starcraft MMO would be good or not. I'm sure it would be better than the Ghost RPG they've been planning for consoles...

• upallnightupallnight Member Posts: 1,154

Don't ruin Starcraft the way Warcraft has been ruined.

<goes back to playing WC3>

--------------------------------------
    image image

• KormacKormac Member Posts: 297

IF the (currently not even in development I believe) Starcraft MMORPG (Galaxies of Starcraft would sound best to me, but that'd make a strong WoW link...) What was I saying?

If this game is bad it doesn't ruin the past games. Blues Brothers 2000 wasn't really any good, just some nice music and a few fun gags - while the original Blues Brothers movie will always be a masterpiece. I don't see the sequel retroactively impairing the quality of the original.

The 3 races of Starcraft are a great concept in my book. Because it is different without being poor or boring. Because there is a full setting. Because there is strong distinction and internal variation within the races.

But problems rise. Zerg exist in the hive hierarchy. Would PCs be zerg without this restriction?

The human race has modest potential for "magical" activities, limited to the mental attributes of ghosts. However, they have versatility, and they can adapt by changing equipment rather than by training for hours unending.

The Protoss have the purest and strongest mental presence. Those of a more physical nature become zealots or similar units (classes), while others progress along the line of magic.

Racial differences in healing:

• Humans: Anatomy is well explored and known, but inefficient at healing itself. Medics can do a great difference
    • Protoss: Their mana provides protection, their recovery of actual health (shielded by faster recovering mana) is the slowest. No medic could help a protoss
    • Zerg: Recover quickly, beyond the help of medics

There'd always be the decision "Include BroodWar".

Zerg could serve as NPC monsters. How many of you are prepared to play a little, slimy rat, or a ridiculous thing with wings anyhow? It'd be like... Dwarf. I mean: Who plays a dwarf when there are elves? image And an abandoned command centre, infested during some cataclysmic war, could be lying in the wilds, spawning frightful Infested Terrans, making the lands more dangerous.

- If you implemented the game with an advancing IC storyline:

You could have actual leaders (possibly staff) to make big decisions. A protoss leader might have the option to expend vast resources, and provide for somebody who has become a Templar another Templar, and thus create an Archon under the player's control.

There is possibility, potential. It all comes down to finding the right way, keeping eyes and eyes [the latter being your cyber-ears] open and sticking to the vision - which must be there.

The future: Adellion
    Common flaw in MMORPGs: The ability to die casually
    Advantages of Adellion: Dynamic world (affected by its inhabitants)
    Player-driven world (beasts won't be an endless supply of mighty swords, gold will come from mines, not dragonly dens)
    Player-driven world (Leadership is the privilege of a player, not an npc)

• crreescrrees Member Posts: 36
    I can easily see Starcraft become a MMOFPS, look at ghost.  It didnt hit hard at the stores but if they released it as an MMO it probobly would entice alot of planetside, neocron, and other FPS players.  As well as the people who currently play the immortal starcraft!

Ive got two choices, run, or stay and fight...And I dont see no doors...

• MagicStarMagicStar Member Posts: 380

I would rather not see a Starcraft mmorpg.

Because it might add a bit of complication because of the zerg race not knowing what type of gameplay you might want to add.

Even if I'm not inrerested in that game, I predict it's gonna be way overrated game and blow EVE out of the sky if it does exist.

----------------------
    Give me lights give me action. With a touch of a button!

• happydan20happydan20 Member UncommonPosts: 260

wow my first forum thread... welcome back ol buddy! Never thought I'd see this on the front page again.

• happydan20happydan20 Member UncommonPosts: 260

I think the zerg would have to be liberated.  It could fall under the lines of the trolls in wow or the elves being a split faction.  You could simply be a genetic mutation free of overmind control kinda like the wow undead.

As for healing you bring an excellent point, but terrans could use technologies or med packs (implemented healer casts or connects medpack to suit)

Protoss, im not all up on lore but doesn't their healing come from the crystals? if so wouldn't the healing be cast as a moment of focus in tuned with the person?

zerg well yeah thats harder, but burrowing to regen? cannibalizing mobs?  some skill where nutrient is extracted from a mobile piece of creep they take with?

One of the things I liked in wow was the way there really feels like theres 2 sides, largely because they cant communicate, although there are other differences.

I think the same would happen would starcraft, i definitely see the races acting separately, i don't see you grouping with a  zerg hydralisk (ranger) a human medic and a protos archon.

I really don't see why people insist on having 1000 races when theres always one best for each class anyways.  They could pull a bloodlines as in eve, so that even though you're human there are different kinds of human with different stats.  Maybe one being convicts suited for warriorship and others being genetically breed for speed ect.

• AmbassadorDvinnAmbassadorDvinn Member UncommonPosts: 339

Originally posted by Zheritel

Yeah... we can dream...

I would LOVE a "World of Starcraft" concidering that i HATE Warcraft.. But i think it will be years before any of the co's even concideres the idea..

Says the guy with 2155 hours of World of Warcraft playtime in his sig.

Serious death penalties makes every close call an adrenaline rush, and every minor achievement a major victory. This alternative rule-set should be in all MMORPGs.

• pencilrickpencilrick Member Posts: 1,550

I think OP could have something here.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Wow, still kickin' eh?

Necromancers are cool.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• arcdevilarcdevil Member Posts: 864

Well, there's a chance that World of Starcraft sees the light

just wait for the WAR40K MMO. if it succees, Blizzard will do what they know best...copy it with an IP "of their own" a.k.a blatant ripoff....

• sultharsulthar Member Posts: 298

Originally posted by arcdevil

just wait for the WAR40K MMO. if it succees, Blizzard will do what they know best...copy it with an IP "of their own" a.k.a blatant ripoff....

My god so many Blizzard haters, if Blizzard copied a game wich one was it and plz tell me why it wasnt as popular as Wow ?

I hate to see people blast succes of others... they earn their popularity only by listening to what people WANTED... and this by itself is an innovation because i dont see many games coming out that understood the need of their market. I'll state STO and MO as exemple.

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

Originally posted by sulthar

My god so many Blizzard haters, if Blizzard copied a game wich one was it and plz tell me why it wasnt as popular as Wow ?

I hate to see people blast succes of others... they earn their popularity only by listening to what people WANTED... and this by itself is an innovation because i dont see many games coming out that understood the need of their market. I'll state STO and MO as exemple.

You do know Bliz payed for the rights to model their warcraft IP after warhammer ?

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• InfalibleInfalible Member Posts: 204

Blizzards next MMORPG is an entirely new IP. Regardless of how many times they say this however, people still don't seem to absorb it.

They've already said that they are always looking at how they could take Starcraft and Diablo into the MMO-verse whilst maintaining the quality of the titles for future single player releases. Starcraft 2 will no doubt be used to establish a situation within the lore where this can be best accomplished, but if they make it it won't hit for at least another decade. It's more than likely that any Starcraft MMO will be used as a replacement for the now-ailing World of Warcraft.

Frankly I've lost all faith in Blizzard. No Path of Titans and no Guild Talents or Currency simply because they want to hit a specific release window suggests to me that their willingness to delay a title until it is totally ready has come to an abrubt end.

http://www.themmoquest.com - MMO commentary from an overly angry brit. OFFICIALLY LAUNCHED!

• TyratopsTyratops Member Posts: 98

Originally posted by Infalible

Blizzards next MMORPG is an entirely new IP. Regardless of how many times they say this however, people still don't seem to absorb it.

They've already said that they are always looking at how they could take Starcraft and Diablo into the MMO-verse whilst maintaining the quality of the titles for future single player releases. Starcraft 2 will no doubt be used to establish a situation within the lore where this can be best accomplished, but if they make it it won't hit for at least another decade. It's more than likely that any Starcraft MMO will be used as a replacement for the now-ailing World of Warcraft.

Frankly I've lost all faith in Blizzard. No Path of Titans and no Guild Talents or Currency simply because they want to hit a specific release window suggests to me that their willingness to delay a title until it is totally ready has come to an abrubt end.

They cut those things for valid reasons, guild talents would create further politic issues in a guild for example.  Not everything revolves around release dates, now jump of your conspiracy bandwagon. 

• DreamionDreamion Member UncommonPosts: 287

5 year old thread, come on.

• TarkaTarka Member Posts: 1,662

Originally posted by Dreamion

5 year old thread, come on.

Lol someone enjoys playing a Necromancer, and it seems they're pretty good at it

• ChrisMatternChrisMattern Member Posts: 1,478

Originally posted by Moaky07

You do know Bliz payed for the rights to model their warcraft IP after warhammer ?

And the StarCraft universe bears a certain resemblence to Warhammer 40,000. Although 40K's Space Marines are much, *much* cooler than StarCraft's cannon fodder.

• arcdevilarcdevil Member Posts: 864

Originally posted by ChrisMattern

Originally posted by Moaky07

And the StarCraft universe bears a certain resemblence to Warhammer 40,000

a certain resemblance?

A CERTAIN RESEMBLANCE?

its like a damn Olsen twin, bro, just 40k is 25 years older

still I bet Blizzard fanbois will come and tell us about how it isnt the mother of all plagiarism...

• Branko2307Branko2307 Member UncommonPosts: 346

I dunno if some1 allready said it, but for some1 really wanting starcraft mmo u should look around net better next time before posting useless threads since blizzard confirmed like 5 times the new mmo is not starcraft...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum!! ~Planescape: Torment~

• jchristopherjchristopher Member Posts: 1

Well we're dying with anticipation for any actual announcements. But there is an upcoming legal mod for the battle.net users of SC2. 

You can check out a video of the mod here.

Its actually a very good rendition of what a "world of SC" could look like if they were pumping up that game engine. Hopefully we see the mod out soon on battle.net. But the video itself was banned from youtube... Could it be that they're afraid the mod could compete with "Project Titan" directly? Only time will tell...

• crunchyblackcrunchyblack Member Posts: 1,362

I really hope not.

Not because i dont think it would be awesome or successful.

But because, after raking it in on WoW for the past decade, i would expect somthing completely new, not a rehashed SC2 with a  mmorpg mod added to it.

I think everyone kind of expects this anyway. 

I would like to see something along the lines of some type of steam punk /chronotrigger time travel type mmorpg that is a skill based sandbox......now that would blow a few minds imo.

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507

Originally posted by Infallible

Frankly I've lost all faith in Blizzard. No Path of Titans and no Guild Talents or Currency simply because they want to hit a specific release window suggests to me that their willingness to delay a title until it is totally ready has come to an abrupt end.

You just have to start getting into the mindset of what the business suits who run Blizzard actually think and all their recent game decisions make a perfect and logical sense, and you may well be right that they think they have take WoW as far as they can and it is time to start from the drawing board again. This actually makes perfect sense, and given that SC II is gong through its expansion launch this year and Diablo 3 is going to go through its initial launch it just seems like crazy talk to say that these will be turned into MMOs. Nope Blizzard will keep WoW going for a few more years before sending it to classic gaming graveyard and unveil a new replacement that will provide next gen mmo feel, yet give its mmo players that classic Blizzard MMO comfort zone...

• Hellfyre420Hellfyre420 Member Posts: 861

I thought blizz already said the next MMO they were working on would be a new IP that wouldn't steal players away from WoW.. Starcraft MMORPG dosn't fit that bill.

Currently Playing:
    Rift + Starcraft II + Gears Of War 3 Beta