Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does anybody think Warlords of Draenor...

noncleynoncley Member UncommonPosts: 718

...sounds kind of boring?

No new classes.

Now new races.

Same old enemies - mad Orcs.

Rehash of old landscapes.

Yet another level of grinding the same old raid dungeons over and over.

To me, this expansion doesn't seem to have any USP - Unique Selling Proposition. At leat Cata had a giant dragon and Pandaria had kung fu monks - and, even so, I personally found them weaker than the expansions that had gone before.

Am I wrong? What do you think?

Comments

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

For me two main selling points.. Garrisons and new character models and animations.

Garrisons are a mini game in itself and one can spend hours in it alone.

In my opinion this is the first expansion since BC i am actually very excited about and even pre ordered it.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• ShrillyShrilly Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser

For me two main selling points.. Garrisons and new character models and animations.

In my opinion this is the first expansion since BC i am actually very excited about and even pre ordered it.

ditto

• noncleynoncley Member UncommonPosts: 718

Garrisons could be interesting - but I wouldn't say they are anything really new. They're just an offshoot of Pandaria's farms, aren't they?

I am also surprised that you think 'new character models and animation' are going to carry this new expansion. From what I have seen, these seem like just a mild new reskinning and offer - am i wrong? - absolutely nothing in terms of new gameplay or experience. 

To me personally, these seem hardly enough for a major new expansion. 

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by noncley

Garrisons could be interesting - but I wouldn't say they are anything really new. They're just an offshoot of Pandaria's farms, aren't they?

I am also surprised that you think 'new character models and animation' are going to carry this new expansion. From what I have seen, these seem like just a mild new reskinning and offer - am i wrong? - absolutely nothing in terms of new gameplay or experience. 

Ok, well, first of all, are you telling me that adding in a new race or a new class would somehow make a major expansion for you? 

Why is it that a completely new storyline isn't enough to justify an expansion? It's just like every other WoW expansion. 

As far as character models go, I don't think this is as trivial as you think it is. Remember that we're dealing with a 10 year-old game here, and we're probably dealing with some people with 10 year-old gaming hardware, too. So it should be interesting to see how they can optimize their graphics and make it current without significantly impacting their existing playerbase. 

Also, not sure why you think it's going to be a rehash of old landscapes. It is Outland, but the landscape isn't the same, completely new zones, etc. are included. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    What's carrying this expansion is the suggestion that blizzard are returning to their gaming roots with wow e.g tapping into the player base that loved tbc/wotlk. 5 man heroics will be a good indicator, face smash or cc required with actual wiping, time will tell!

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

I do find it kinda funny, our characters have curb-stomped gods, and now some orcs are going to give them a problem again.

Maybe its like Metroid and we should pretend each new xpack everyone loses all their power.

Originally posted by CrazKanuk

Ok, well, first of all, are you telling me that adding in a new race or a new class would somehow make a major expansion for you? 

I'd say it would certainly help. As we know, new classes and professions always help drive a new story forward - like the Worgen, like the Death Knights etc.

Why is it that a completely new storyline isn't enough to justify an expansion? It's just like every other WoW expansion. 

Because we get 'completely new storylines' every other patch or so, I'd say. Now here's we're being asked to pay for something that - outside the raise in level - we get for free every six months or so, wouldn't you agree?

As far as character models go, I don't think this is as trivial as you think it is. Remember that we're dealing with a 10 year-old game here, and we're probably dealing with some people with 10 year-old gaming hardware, too. So it should be interesting to see how they can optimize their graphics and make it current without significantly impacting their existing playerbase. 

Perhaps. But, speaking for myself, I have not actually been that impressed by the new models. They are, it seems to me, just a reskinning of stuff we have already seen - not anything new or original.

Also, not sure why you think it's going to be a rehash of old landscapes. It is Outland, but the landscape isn't the same, completely new zones, etc. are included. 

Again, you may be right. But considering how rich and complex warcraft lore is, I'm disappointed that we're not seeing genuinely new landscapes and zones. From what I have seen of them here:

http://www.wowwiki.com/Category:Warlords_of_Draenor_zones

they're the same old mix of desert scrub, thorns and orc forts we all seen bfore. Maybe I am wrong but this is how ti seems to me.

Originally posted by Derros

I do find it kinda funny, our characters have curb-stomped gods, and now some orcs are going to give them a problem again.

Maybe its like Metroid and we should pretend each new xpack everyone loses all their power.

LOL. I did think it was funny that in MOP my Shadow priest, who has destroyed the Lich King and a God-Dragon, was in danger of being womped by a rabbit when ploughing turnips.

Of course Blizz devs have really no alternative but to 'reset the clock' every time a new expansion comes out.

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459

The main things i am liking about this expansion are;

• Garrisons - As some have said already, they will add a little more depth to the game and i can see the comparison to the farms of Pandaria, but this looks like a whole other level as this will be visible to others, so also an achievement you can show off.
    • Ashran - The persistent PvP battle zone with evolving objectives, which could be very interesting if they get it right. I miss some of the epic battles like the original Alterac Valley and Wintergrasp, so if they can top either of those they are on to a big winner
    • Stat changes - Getting rid of Hit, Expertise and dodge etc is a great change for me, i hated having to play the balancing game every time i switched a piece of armor.
    • Dynamic Armor - Only needing one set of armor for your different builds will be interesting
    • Bag changes - Long overdue re-vamp to the bags and stacking of items, sorting, quest items no longer clogging up inventory and leaving gaps (little OCD on my part) as well as the toy box to store all of your little collected nic nacs
    • Crafting from Bank - Another long overdue change, being able to stock up in a single place and craft directly wherever you are will be helpful
    • Secondary & Tertiary stats - Waiting for more detail, but sound interesting on the face of it
    I am also looking forward to the quests and levelling as that is just one of my things, but the character models i can take or leave as i have never had an issue with the graphics as they are, but it will be a nice gloss on the expansion i guess.

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Shadoed

• Garrisons - As some have said already, they will add a little more depth to the game and i can see the comparison to the farms of Pandaria, but this looks like a whole other level as this will be visible to others, so also an achievement you can show off.
    • Ashran - The persistent PvP battle zone with evolving objectives, which could be very interesting if they get it right. I miss some of the epic battles like the original Alterac Valley and Wintergrasp, so if they can top either of those they are on to a big winner
    • Stat changes - Getting rid of Hit, Expertise and dodge etc is a great change for me, i hated having to play the balancing game every time i switched a piece of armor.
    • Dynamic Armor - Only needing one set of armor for your different builds will be interesting
    • Bag changes - Long overdue re-vamp to the bags and stacking of items, sorting, quest items no longer clogging up inventory and leaving gaps (little OCD on my part) as well as the toy box to store all of your little collected nic nacs
    • Crafting from Bank - Another long overdue change, being able to stock up in a single place and craft directly wherever you are will be helpful
    • Secondary & Tertiary stats - Waiting for more detail, but sound interesting on the face of it
    I am also looking forward to the quests and levelling as that is just one of my things, but the character models i can take or leave as i have never had an issue with the graphics as they are, but it will be a nice gloss on the expansion i guess.

Pretty much this. Looks like Blizzard are focusing on the core gameplay at endgame, rather than spending resources on revamping old zones, making new classes or new races.

Ashran in particular seems interesting.  I just wonder when they are going to release it.  Been 4 months now since a content update.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

I personally found them weaker than the expansions that had gone before.

happens with other mmos too -- EQ2 hasnt had a good expansion in awhile

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

My only concern with WoD is that it likely wont be released until the end of the year.  Now I've not subbed to WoW since the last patch when I subbed for a month for the content, but those who are keeping subbed will be going almost a year without new content, each expansion Blizzard say they wont to release an expansion per year but even after 4 expansions they seem to fail.

That being said WoD looks good, day 1 purchase for me as always also sounds like they might even consider disabling flying in the new zones all together +1

Originally posted by Shadoed

These are all interesting things, I grant you, but you have to admit that none of them are exactly game-shaking developments that will magnetically draw new players while solidifying the existing base. There's no 'big idea' here like there was with every other expansion:

The Burning Crusade... Blood Elves and Dranei!

Wrath of the Lich King... Death Knight hero class!

Catacysm... Goblins and Worgen!

MoP: Pandaren!

...Warlord of Draenor: reskinned toons, expansion of farm idea into garrisons, crafting from bank?

• MorningStarGGMorningStarGG Member UncommonPosts: 394

...sounds kind of boring?

No new classes.

Now new races.

Same old enemies - mad Orcs.

Rehash of old landscapes.

Yet another level of grinding the same old raid dungeons over and over.

To me, this expansion doesn't seem to have any USP - Unique Selling Proposition. At leat Cata had a giant dragon and Pandaria had kung fu monks - and, even so, I personally found them weaker than the expansions that had gone before.

Am I wrong? What do you think?

New models we don't need no new races, a fun sort of housing, to see Outlands before it was blown to bits, and more. How does it in anyway seem boring? I came back for it and I'm sure this has a huge chance of being the best expansion yet. Tons of people have come back for it.

Owner/Admin of GodlessGamer.com - Gaming news and reviews for the godless.

• XssivXssiv Member UncommonPosts: 359

I'm sure WoD will be a solid expansion but I'm just not a fan of the whole time-travel thing.  

I'd also say that compared to MoP, the new features in WoD don't seem very impressive.  

MoP had:

- New continent

- New Race

- New Class (with three completely different specs)

- Challenge Mode dungeons

- Pet Battles

WoD's main features are garrisons, new player models, and a new PvP zone.   Most of the other stuff are minor quality of life enhancements.

I also think that PvP has seriously gone downhill since Brian Holinka came on board.  What used to be a completely separate progression that rewarded players for their time and effort has become a system that caters to pansies who can't handle getting their butt's kicked for a few weeks while they work towards better gear.  

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

My thoughts exactly

• MorningStarGGMorningStarGG Member UncommonPosts: 394
    Originally posted by Xssiv

I'm sure WoD will be a solid expansion but I'm just not a fan of the whole time-travel thing.  

I'd also say that compared to MoP, the new features in WoD don't seem very impressive.  

MoP had:

- New continent

- New Race

- New Class (with three completely different specs)

- Challenge Mode dungeons

- Pet Battles

WoD's main features are garrisons, new player models, and a new PvP zone.   Most of the other stuff are minor quality of life enhancements.

I also think that PvP has seriously gone downhill since Brian Holinka came on board.  What used to be a completely separate progression that rewarded players for their time and effort has become a system that caters to pansies who can't handle getting their butt's kicked for a few weeks while they work towards better gear.  

PVP went downhill after WoTLK. It has gotten worse, and then better. I'm tired of the mentality that someone needs to suffer for a few weeks just to become halfway competitive and to actually have fun with a portion of the game they want to play. I don't want to suffer just to get gear finally so I can then force others to suffer. Why not balance it and make it fun from the go while vets have a bit more power and ability? PvP should be based on ability and they should be rewarded for that, not time spent.

Owner/Admin of GodlessGamer.com - Gaming news and reviews for the godless.

• zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794
    I dont get the fact that people miss a big part of the RPG in MMOs....Story. a lot of people are fans of the warcraft IP and enjoy the new story arcs etc just as much as the new content/game mechanics. mite as well be playing an ARPG MO
  • grapevinegrapevine Member UncommonPosts: 1,927

I'd not say boring, as I'm sure leveling won't be.   The problem (at least for me) is ultimately its the same old thing as any other WoW expansion once the leveling is complete, just with a new setting.  The Diablo (i.e. same content, at different settings) approach to end game content has grown old.

I also find it difficult to support a company (or game) that only provides (limited) updates for a year.  Then expects the subscribers to "feed" off the last update for a year (or more) before releasing anything else and then charge in addition for it.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Totally agree, stories and great questlines are what bliz are great at. If you have the urge to rushrushrush to 100 you reap what you sow.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by Bladestrom
    Totally agree, stories and great questlines are what bliz are great at. If you have the urge to rushrushrush to 100 you reap what you sow.

After 8+ freakin alts why not. image

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Bladestrom

After 8+ freakin alts why not. image

agree  image

• CarnicideCarnicide Member UncommonPosts: 222
    To make this game decent again they need to scrap this crap hand holding spec design and allow us to place points in a real tree again. Until that day comes I won't play WoW again.
  • nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862
    These are all interesting things, I grant you, but you have to admit that none of them are exactly game-shaking developments that will magnetically draw new players while solidifying the existing base. There's no 'big idea' here like there was with every other expansion:

The Burning Crusade... Blood Elves and Dranei!

Wrath of the Lich King... Death Knight hero class!

Catacysm... Goblins and Worgen!

MoP: Pandaren!

...Warlord of Draenor: reskinned toons, expansion of farm idea into garrisons, crafting from bank?

Seems like in your eyes if there isn't a new race or new class it's not worthy of being an expansion?

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268
    Originally posted by Carnicide
    To make this game decent again they need to scrap this crap hand holding spec design and allow us to place points in a real tree again. Until that day comes I won't play WoW again.

This, pretty summed up