Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This Beta Weekend Change Anyone's Mind About the Game?

Comments

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    I like Elder Scrolls games. I like MMORPGs. I don't really like this one. I've had only very little time to play the beta, but there just doesn't seem to be enough innovation for me. And the combination of subscription + purchase + cash shop also puts me off.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• umcorianumcorian Member UncommonPosts: 519
    Can't say it did - already made my decision not to play before Friday. 
  • SoulTrapOnSelfSoulTrapOnSelf Member Posts: 190

The Imperial faces are a copy/paste of the Breton. Also I wished the hairstyles were different or the option to have 2 or 3 unique  hair styles. Since everyone will look the same, I guess I better keep the headgear at all times. Everyone will be a battlemage anyway.

I am playing the game, early start. But I think I will do an early quit for other reasons.

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    Originally posted by Netspook

Beta is a good way for people to decide if they like a game or not. I wouldn't base the possibility of a great game off of it though! 

The OPs question is the generic template question right towards the end of games beta cycle before release. The WoW  guys come out and destroy it with negative feedback because it wasn't like their games. ie, Rift had one of the best beta and release that I can recall due mostly because it resembled WoW so much. Games that aren't like WoW ie. GW2, TSW, and now ESO, get pummled.

If you don't like the ES games, you probably won't like ESO in most cases, and you should follow the default formula that you have always enjoyed.

As I've said multiple times on this site, People have a variety of reasons to like/dislike games, and this ain't different. And I would expect a person with nearly 3300 posts to understand that isn't such a black and white issue as you seems to believe.

Well, it's my opinion and I can believe what I want! :) If you don't like the game don't play! Simple enough.

I am one of the few persons around here who is not afraid to admit to like WoW. But that has NOTHING with why I'm not buying this game. Here are a few of MY  reasons:

I love the heck out of WoW. I like this too because it is different! Here is my deal though. When I don't like a game I don't go to the forum of that game a give reasons I don't want to buy it. I simply don't buy it!  

- This game doesn't feel like a MMO. There are a lot of players around you, but there's hardly anything early in the game that encourages you to seek out other players.

Just look for others to group with. Even the great and powerful WoW you can get to 90 on your own.

- The quest system is a mess. From early on, you're sent everywhere and in all directions. But the worst part is that what other players often complete quest goals for you. An example: after laying out bait to lure out a gigantic bat, someone else killed it before it reached the bait, and I got credit for it.

Quest system probably needs work but I'm sure not going to throw up my hands and walk away when I know things will be ironed out before launch or soon after. Same old generic pre-release statement by me and you both.

- Inventory is extremely limited. As a person who likes having multiple characters doing a lot of crafting, 120 bank slots shared among 8 characters is a sad joke. When a few characters are at different crafting tiers, this won't be anywhere near enough. I wish they used EQ2's model: some private bank slots and some shared. (Yeah, I did actually use ONE comparison to another game...)

The inventory system is fine imho. If it's not and people complain it will be changed. Simple enough! :) No reason not to play.

- No minimap. Laugh if you want, but this is a major one for me.

No minimap by design. I'm sure you have read that it was taken out because folks were playing it and not the game.  All the other ES games are like this as well. 

- Hard to tell if you're the one who claimed a mob, or if someone else did. 

In other games there are no lines or beacons denoting a mob to one player or another. If the mob is fighting someone or if someone is fighting it is clearly engaged with that person. If you can't tell jump in anyway, xp is shared. Sorry maybe I misunderstood this.

- And many miner other reasons

I'm only going to comment on this:

"When I don't like a game I don't go to the forum of that game a give reasons I don't want to buy it."

If everyone was following that "advice", it would be impossible to do any real research on games, because you would only find praise from fanboys. You would have to rely entirely on "professional" reviews, which often is nothing but paid advertising.

Conclusion: VERY bad "advice".

• WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386
    Originally posted by Tygranir
    Yeah, cancelled my Pre-order as well. Just isn't very fun.

tell me what game is? Myself, I can't wait!

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Beta is a good way for people to decide if they like a game or not. I wouldn't base the possibility of a great game off of it though! 

The OPs question is the generic template question right towards the end of games beta cycle before release. The WoW  guys come out and destroy it with negative feedback because it wasn't like their games. ie, Rift had one of the best beta and release that I can recall due mostly because it resembled WoW so much. Games that aren't like WoW ie. GW2, TSW, and now ESO, get pummled.

If you don't like the ES games, you probably won't like ESO in most cases, and you should follow the default formula that you have always enjoyed.

I'm only going to comment on this:

"When I don't like a game I don't go to the forum of that game a give reasons I don't want to buy it."

If everyone was following that "advice", it would be impossible to do any real research on games, because you would only find praise from fanboys. You would have to rely entirely on "professional" reviews, which often is nothing but paid advertising.

Conclusion: VERY bad "advice".

Then don't take my advice. No one, and I mean no one on this site should take any advice for any game from someone else imho. Play the game and see if YOU like it. 

But, when I say I don't go into forums and give reasons I don't buy a game, I don't!  Who cares what I say! If you care what anyone says on this site you are lost already. On top of that, this is a game! Everyone gets so serious about things. 

edit: snip

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• R_M_BR_M_B Member UncommonPosts: 42

After first beta was impressed and I almost pre-order it, but this weekend was "what the hell I was thinking?" moments all the time.

Simple and repetitive quest design: go to spot, talk with npc, go to other spot, talk with npc, go to door talk with npc, open door... After few quest I was able to draw a schema in my mind and could almost imagine what are the engine limitations. I just hope it is due to poor concept and design, and not because engine is that much limited.
    Interior maps: all caves, all buildings, all ships, are exactly the same maps with different textures and decorations. Ok, maybe not all but I haven't seen more then 3 general layouts caves, maybe 7 layouts of buildings and for ships - there is just one interior.
    Voice acting: voice in quests is a great concept but they really need to work on "acting" part. A lot of dialogs sounded like early years of text-to-speech.

In the end you can't skip the elephant in the room - constant quest and interface bugs ("The ReloadUI Scrolls Online" as some call it). Yeh, I know it is called beta for a reason. But I also know it is 2 weeks till live.

After this beta weekend I'm cured form TESO hype. I wish TESO all the best but I'll wait a month or two and see how it ends up. After all if the game is good, it will be here even after a year, so there is no need to rush and buy per-orders.

B)
  • NormikeNormike Member Posts: 436
    Originally posted by maji
    I like Elder Scrolls games. I like MMORPGs. I don't really like this one. I've had only very little time to play the beta, but there just doesn't seem to be enough innovation for me. And the combination of subscription + purchase + cash shop also puts me off.

Maybe this is why the game doesn't click for some people, including me. I've played a *lot* of different MMOs and I've played every single Elder Scrolls game. The combination of those two worlds into this game didn't work out well. Maybe I would have liked it better if they had focused more on the Elder Scrolls mechanics and less MMO mechanics. Or maybe it would appeal more to me if it were more centered on new cutting-edge MMO mechanics and then just put an Elder Scrolls skin on top of it. But the way the game actually turned out it felt like they went half-and-half, with nothing standing out. The MMO side of the mash-up doesn't beat other MMOs in the genre. And the Elder Scrolls mechanics side of the mash-up pales in comparison to the last three Elder Scrolls games' mechanics.

The game will mostly be fun for people who are sort of new to MMOs or maybe new-ish to the Elder Scrolls series, or people who have lots of friends who play the game.

• donjndonjn Member UncommonPosts: 816
    Cancelled my pre-order too.
  • dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005
    Originally posted by SwashBuccaneer

Just curious how this beta has affected peoples' opinions of the game.

For some reason I find myself not really wanting to play the game anymore after playing this build and I don't know why.  :/

It helped my purchase decision. I'll wait until they fix phasing before i look at this again.  I do fear this game will go the route of star wars too. 

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461
    Originally posted by A.Blackloch

I actually canceled my pre-order on Imperial Edition earlier today. At first I was SO excited about the whole game but now it just... Don't know what it is. I could be playing it right now - but I really just don't have the 'burn' for it.

It was a nice game, just felt bit simple to me. So few skills or spells, pretty limited character builds and it really doesn't require any thinking or tactics to play it. 

My thoughts exactly.. I have been battling myself all weekend over if I think it is worth a preorder.. I admit that I am still in limbo a bit with the decision, and this beta did alot of negative for my decision.. So many things are still broken, ESPECIALLY quest wise. But the one positive that I noticed this time (not sure if it was there last beta) was that I could actually progress by killing mobs which made the game feel a little more OPEN and elder scrollish..

But I just don't know what this game is.. With an IP built on freeform gameplay, this game has apparent identity issues.. I'm beginning to wonder if this was something that was completely designed by Zenimax / Bethesda or was this a purchased project from a third party that got rebranded and refurbished for a quick buck..

Some times it just doesn't add up.. If they had the engine tech and assets available from skyrim, why not build off of that? 

• Luckily I hadn't bought the game yet, but was going to this week.  Now the wife and I will just sit it out and see what happens after launch and see what the impressions are of it then.

Been some good feedback and opinions in this thread and some good reads.  I do have a better grasp on some of things that have bothered me the most about things so far.

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

Ever since the first beta weekend i took part in, i was sold. Before that the game wasn't really even on my radar.

This last weekend has changed none of that enthusiasm i have for the game, i actually only just an hour ago pre-ordered the game :)

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • gringemoregringemore Member Posts: 182
    Originally posted by SwashBuccaneer

Just curious how this beta has affected peoples' opinions of the game.

For some reason I find myself not really wanting to play the game anymore after playing this build and I don't know why.  :/

The last beta was enough to get me to purchase the Imperial edition. I saw it for what it was a beta. I know they will still have some bugs at release as do all mmos. I am certain the bugs we encountered that hindered quest progress will be gone.

• DaxamarDaxamar Member UncommonPosts: 593

I lost a little faith in the game this weekend. It was pretty awful on bugs.

Not cancelling my pre-order tho. Even got 2 more friends to play the game with me.

Its still a good game, in my opinion, the bugs just kinda killed it for me this time around.

I knew how to get around most bugs. Relog for most quest fix them. Too many re logs in this beta though.

The Esc key bug was a new one. Easy fix, but that fact you needed to fix it was just bad.

Im hoping they will fix this stuff in the 2 short weeks they have!

Still goin to play it.

• niteflynitefly Member Posts: 340

I will wait a year before I buy. The phasing issue and the very strict focus on one type of content for advancement is keeping me on the fence. Quests that change difficulty and content based on party size would also be a nice addition so you would have more of a multiplayer feel to the game and gameworld, not just the dungeons.

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971
    Yeah, I just bought the 5-day early access code for just 3,50€ and Iam already curios how the game looks like with the release version. If I like what I see I buy the full version, if not I only did risk a beer.
  • BlazefireBlazefire Member UncommonPosts: 44

This weekends beta was a huge disappointment. I feel like the beta weekends have progressively been getting worse... which seems counterintuitive to me and my past experiences with beta testing. Typically you would think that a game would become better and more polished with each beta patch, with the exception of a fix that unitentionally breaks something, as the game marches forward to the release date. Instead of fixing bugs and polishing they have decided to change a huge amount of things in the game with only weeks to spare before release.

They seem desperate to try to please the vocal minority with things that really shouldn't be messed with at all. I think the changes they did to the new player experience was a horrible idea... it seems to be so incredibly ass backwards that I literally was scratching my head in confusion. Why in the world would they default the player to the capital city skipping past the starter islands and forcing those that want to go through the starter areas to go find someone at the dock. I would of done it the other way around... but maybe that's just me. It also seemed like there were way more bugs than several weeks ago. I swear the combat felt like it had been messed with too... and not in a good way. It sucks because I was enjoying the game previously, but like I said above, it's been getting worse and worse.

Unfortunately, I already paid in full for my preorder... so I guess I'll just ride it out and see what happens. I'm honestly not even that excited anymore. In fact this weekend I only played about an hour and half. The beta I was in prior to this one I played maybe 2 or 3 hours. I'm finding it hard to even feel motivated to log on and play which isn't really a good sign. Most of the time I was logging into Everquest Next: Landmark because I was having more fun playing an alpha which isn't even near complete like ESO is supposed to be... pretty sad.

This was really just the icing on the cake for me after they announced that preorders would be able to play any race and faction. That basically just made everything they based the game around completely stupid and pointless in my opinion. Then I read they would have a store where people could buy mounts... that's unacceptable in a subscription based game. Oh well... guess I have Wildstar to look forward to... oh wait nm I couldn't even stay logged into that beta for longer than an hour either. image

TL;DR Yes it did... and not in a good way... disappointment followed by dejection would be the best words to describe my thoughts.

• obocoboc Member UncommonPosts: 189
    60 $ Bucks for few hundred hours of game play is well worth it to me. 
  • hannibalektrhannibalektr Member Posts: 57
    Originally posted by oboc
    60 $ Bucks for few hundred hours of game play is well worth it to me. 

Good point! But what we are saying here is as it stands now from the track record of builds going downhill instead of up, it is not playable. Not even for 20 hours. The main quest was broken for christ sake. 

• SsalaarSsalaar Member UncommonPosts: 3
    Originally posted by LisaFlexy22
    After playing I feel this patch was a big step backwards for the game actually.  The new starter island skipping experience is implemented terribly in my opinion and while apparently there were tons of bug fixes I've encountered an ungodly amount of bugs questing and doing other things.  Seems things are unraveling a bit with 2 weeks left and combined with the cash shop confirmation I'm losing a good bit of interest yes.  Not to the point of cancelling yet but I've thought about it. 

I would have to agree 100%. This is the firrst MMO i have ever played and was talked into it by the fact i loved Skyrim. Played the last three betas and enjoyed the previous one before this weekend.  It was nagging at me that i started a new character and i didnt like the only fact i had a sword and had to loot the mob to get things. Why would a soul-shriven be carrying a Destro staff and not use it? I guess you could get used to the new Boss in the intro but it was unrealistic as i was healed enough that i didnt die. i went and did the starting island over again, not only for the skyshards but for the immersion in the storyline. I actually missed it and felt it a hasty judgement on Z's part to exclude it.

With the imperial horses not being "anything special" , seeing people ride them in Skywatch in the town proper up and down stairs? Really? UGH!! too many pets and fimiliars running around. it was a distraction. (that and horses moving as if at a standstill? ) Hopefully (and i know some will disagree) the dev team makes it that you have to dismount horses in town. 

As for bug fixes, i hit more Quest bugs this weekends beta then last. Had a great time running around town avoiding the mobs and fighting with others to go along the quest (i really wish if you were grouped , only one person had to retrieve the quest "flag" and not in group to advance properly) only to get to the "Boss" and they are not around. (Gnatwood, kill Capt Benardine) But the orc you rescued can smell him. LOL

With two weeks to go, i would of thought we would test the latest and greatest that is on the PTS server. to see the world in as bug free as possible. This is going to make it or break it for who is going to buy or not. I grew up on Ultima series and loved the open concept (hated UO MMO , never played it) They are making Shroud of the Avatar and sounds like the same open feel of not following cheverons. 

If the stress on the quests is too many people, they definitely got their failing grade . Definitely going to have a rocky start. I was disappointed. i would cancel but bought through third party that states no refunds.

Ssalaar

• alexhpy98721alexhpy98721 Member UncommonPosts: 264

Their e-mail said this was their latest version... i expected to be better compared to previous beta`s where i had fun.

But it was horrible i`ll cancel my preorder unless they do one more beta before launch where everything actually works... because i`d rather wait than play what i played this weekend.

• hail2dathiefhail2dathief Member UncommonPosts: 232

It didn't change my feelings about the game really as all the problems i encountered are just bugs and server issues which can all be fixed.  I will say I don't like the way the game starts now, you should still be able to choose a weapon or even beat someone to death with your fists until you find a dropped weapon other than picking a sword up off a table.  Also, it is very confusing as i still ended up on the starter islands and finally watched the chat and saw someone asking how to get to mainland and I just followed suit.  I def. agree the implementation of how you start now is confusing and poorly done, then again they changed this in 2 weeks so it's conceivable that they can fix it before launch. 

All that said, I still have my pre order and enjoy the game as a whole and like i said, all my issues with the game are easily fixable.

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

Some stuff worse, some stuff better but no progress and for sure no change to my mind.

Seems the direction of the game is somewhat lost and the chicken run headless around...like forcing People to the Beginner-Sword and skipping the Starter Island in a weird way.
    The Starter Island is crap but i want to complete it once and b4 the other Content and not to have to search and unknown entity that beams me back (finally found it but why that way? Why not a Character Creation Option or Leave of Coldharbour Option?).

But so many Devs do weird things this days and i scratch my head so often i already lose hair about it.

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• handlewithcarehandlewithcare Member Posts: 322

elders scrolls online should be changed to ESBO

everyone scrolling for bugs online,and paying top dollar for the previlage to enrich zenimax executives.