Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Quality of Life Issues Ruin This Game

Most of the complaints I have seen about this game are valid, but I am nonetheless having at least some fun with it and would consider buying were it not for the unnecessary and frustrating anti-fun and poorly thought-out crap that hamstrings game play in this MMO.

The following is a list of things that are easily correctable and which I feel would improve game play immensely.

1. INVENTORY: Inventory management is a major anti-fun nightmare in this game. You simply have nowhere near the amount of slots you need to hold all the thousands of items you find, and there is nothing more immersion and fun-killing than running out of bag space and having to return to town to find some way of storing or getting rid of all these items. Even in the Beta where you can just chuck most items because my character is going to be deleted inventory hassles are appalling. With your real toon in the real game where you have to make serious decisions about this stuff I can see it really killing game play and forcing people to quit the game, just as myself and other players I know quit Fallen Earth for the same reason. Lack of adequate inventory space can completely cripple a game.

My suggestion is to give us unlimited inventory, at least in the bank space if not character space. Guild Wars 2 had it right when they gave the player tons of free space with which to store crafting mats and allowed you to send items to your crafting items bank from anywhere in the game. No need to keep disrupting game play and fun with this tedious crap.

2. REPAIR COSTS: Repair costs are absolutely exorbitant in this game, and you take damage to your gear even if you don't die, which amounts to a continual Combat Tax that accrues so long as you are fighting stuff. Taxes in games are as fun as taxes in real life: zero. But at least in real life you get roads and schools and stuff for your money which softens the pain. Here you get nothing but another mindless anti-fun mechanic which serves to force you out of exploring and having fun and running back to town to get repairs or carry overpriced repair kits.

Get rid of repair costs and death penalties. They serve no purpose.

3. SOUL GEMS: Yet another boring, frustrating make-work mechanic. Soul gems are expensive, hard-to-find and another boring grind to have to fill. Worse, you only have 5 ability slots (way too few) and one of them has to be occupied by a soul-gem ability so you can fill the gems. It adds nothing to my game play to have to find and fill these things other than frustration, and it is a real impediment to cooperative game play when I can't rez people in the field or in RvR because I can't afford to.

Either get rid of this useless and unfun mechanic or at least allow us to rez people without having to use gems.

Irregardless of whether a particular player likes inventory management or other boring make-work hassles or feels they are necessary, I doubt there is a single player out there who will quit the game in frustration because you gave them unlimited inventory. There are plenty of people out there who will quit games over issues like this because we feel they cripple game play and kill the fun in the game. As I mentioned I quit Fallen Earth over its horrible inventory system and know others who did the same. I can sadly see myself quitting this game for the same reason.

I don't know why developers insist on hamstringing their games with tedious and anti-fun crap like this. I suspect it is much like the Army, where we used to say that  "there is the right way, the wrong way and the Army way" which meant decisions were rarely made on the basis of whether they were wise or stupid, but simply because that is the way things are done. Inventory management, repair costs, waypoint fees and other frustrations are thrown into MMO games thoughtlessly not because they are right or wrong for the game, but because that's what every other MMO does. This monkey see, monkey do copycat nonsense is why so many MMOs are just stale, carbon-copies of everything that has come before with nothing new, interesting or innovative.

Please think about whether these things add to the game or take way from it. This game has a lot of potential to be fun. Removing the anti-fun shackles will help this game run free and fun as it should be.

Comments

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610
    completely disagree.
  • ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

I agree with the OP.

Those are just made up mechanics which make no sense at all.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

1...   Bag space is more then enough, combined with the fact that you can craft from your bank inventory...  On top of that you can get to a merchant or bank quite easilly withouth hours of traveling....  And extra slots are available for both inventory and bank, its widely expandable

2. Any game needs a money pit, make sure you dont die and there is almost no repair costs,  it really works very much as intended, tough  players that die a lot pay a lot... Which seems to be atleast some kind of deadpennalty players feel.

3.  Soul gems are easy to aquire, and add flavour and depth... In those simple fights that give you soulgems, you seriously dont need all those 12 skills you have, and can easilly have a spot for the soulmagic...  This mechanic forces you to plan ahead, in general i stuff 50 soulgems, and try fill up used ones as fast as its possible..  I just love the mechanic

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,504
    Originally posted by Redhawk2006

Most of the complaints I have seen about this game are valid, but I am nonetheless having at least some fun with it and would consider buying were it not for the unnecessary and frustrating anti-fun and poorly thought-out crap that hamstrings game play in this MMO.

The following is a list of things that are easily correctable and which I feel would improve game play immensely.

1. INVENTORY: Inventory management is a major anti-fun nightmare in this game. You simply have nowhere near the amount of slots you need to hold all the thousands of items you find, and there is nothing more immersion and fun-killing than running out of bag space and having to return to town to find some way of storing or getting rid of all these items. Even in the Beta where you can just chuck most items because my character is going to be deleted inventory hassles are appalling. With your real toon in the real game where you have to make serious decisions about this stuff I can see it really killing game play and forcing people to quit the game, just as myself and other players I know quit Fallen Earth for the same reason. Lack of adequate inventory space can completely cripple a game.

My suggestion is to give us unlimited inventory, at least in the bank space if not character space. Guild Wars 2 had it right when they gave the player tons of free space with which to store crafting mats and allowed you to send items to your crafting items bank from anywhere in the game. No need to keep disrupting game play and fun with this tedious crap.

Sorry i have to laugh.. you talk about immersion killing but want unlimited bag space, because nothing cries immersion more than the illusion that my guy can carry an unlimited amount of objects.

• atziluthatziluth Member UncommonPosts: 1,190

Your complaints do not reflect reality. 

1) Bag space... lets deal with facts. ESO starts with 60 slots per character and a shared 60 slot bank space. I believe both can be increased to 120 slots. This does not include each players mounts  

GW2 bag space - 20 slots to start can increase to 100 before it costs money. 

GW2 bank space - 30 slots to start (non crafting), cannot be increased without spending money. 

WoW bag space - I believe starts at 24, max at 136.

WoW bank space - 28 to start max of 224 (not shared)

So to start ESO has significantly more bag and bank space but falls slightly short end game. With pack horses the difference is easily surpassed though... Choices... that is what it comes down to. 

So no there is not a severe limit on bag space in ESO and they even increased it from 50 to 60 at start. Moving along...

2) Repair costs are negligible unless you die constantly. Most games have repair costs on death so once again this is a non-starter argument. Moving along....

3) Soul Gems - Once again not really cost prohibitive, you can spend 1 pt in the world line to rez at no cost once every 2 hours, gems are random drops, Soul trap is a fairly decent DoT spell for second weapon build. 

You only need to use a soul gem to rez on the spot (self or other). Without one you can still rez at the nearest Wayshrine. 

Any objective person can see that all these mechanics are pretty comparable to other MMOs. 

-Atziluth-

- Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

• KinadoKinado Member Posts: 198

Of all the features TESO is missing to make it a proper MMO you're worried about quality of life lil that are easily fixed?

I'd worry more about how empty Cyrodiil is and the amount of walking you have to do there compared with the amount of fighting you actually do. I mean real fighting, not standing on a wall throwing the occasional fireball to some poor bastard.

This game could use another year or more before it got released to the public.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Ppiper
    I agree with OP but Irregardless is not a word.

Actually it is.  But its usage is up for debate.

Not here though.  This is an MMO forum.

• doragon86doragon86 Member UncommonPosts: 589
    1. Inventory is pretty high starting out compared to a bunch of other MMOs. Plus there are ways to increase your inventory and bank storage. Of course you'll have to make decisions on what to keep and what to get rid of. I do wish there was a crafting bank though. 
    2. The repair cost have been rather negligible unless you've been dying a lot. There has to be money sinks.
    3. Soul gems aren't hard to find. You just walk up to a mystic and buy them. They are fairly inexpensive for whatever level you need them for, unless of course you're dying quite a lot. As for filling them, I usually only take about 5 min to fill a 10-20 stack, then just remove it from my bar. There are also passives that have a chance of automatically filling one on weapon kill so you don't necessarily have to have it on your bar. Again, mainly a money sink, and something that's part of elder scrolls as a whole. 
    Originally posted by Eir_S

Actually it is.  But its usage is up for debate.

Not here though.  This is an MMO forum.

A word yes, mainly due to widespread usage. However, not generally accepted as correct, as 'regardless' would be used. 

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
    And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:
    And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
    And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"
    ~Lord George Gordon Byron

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    From my point of view, the things you mention are integral to MMORPG play. They are money sinks to give you something to spend all that coin on and minor bits of resource management. Its alright to question their implementation in TESO but these play features do have a purpose. I will admit that I think some things are balanced to favor a cash shop (like a horse purchase over the in game coin grind for one) and the accumulating fees left me wondering if some means of purchasing in game currency with cash shop item sale was going to be made available.
  • SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    Originally posted by atziluth

1) Bag space... lets deal with facts. ESO starts with 60 slots per character and a shared 60 slot bank space. I believe both can be increased to 120 slots. This does not include each players mounts  

GW2 bank space - 30 slots to start (non crafting), cannot be increased without spending money. 

So to start ESO has significantly more bag and bank space but falls slightly short end game. With pack horses the difference is easily surpassed though... Choices... that is what it comes down to. 

So no there is not a severe limit on bag space in ESO and they even increased it from 50 to 60 at start. Moving along...

2) Repair costs are negligible unless you die constantly. Most games have repair costs on death so once again this is a non-starter argument. Moving along....

3) Soul Gems - Once again not really cost prohibitive, you can spend 1 pt in the world line to rez at no cost once every 2 hours, gems are random drops, Soul trap is a fairly decent DoT spell for second weapon build. 

You only need to use a soul gem to rez on the spot (self or other). Without one you can still rez at the nearest Wayshrine. 

Any objective person can see that all these mechanics are pretty comparable to other MMOs. 

Let it be known i've yet to even play ESO. But GW2's inventory is completely devoid of crafting mats. I dont know if thats the same for ESO but it should be taken into consideration. Also he claims it doesn't give enough bag space for the insane amount of items the game throws at him. I know this is a complaint I have in WildStar, the amount of junk items the game has is ludicrous for the amount of bag space you have. So you have to consider the amount of items you get while playing ESO vs GW2 and WoW to really say ESO has enough bag space for itself and not just blindly compare bag space size as you have done.

As for the repairs, he just sounds like he's complaining just to be complaining.

And soul gems, i can't speak on that.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• Redhawk2006Redhawk2006 Member Posts: 105
    Originally posted by atziluth

Your comparing apples to oranges. GW2 gave you tons of free bank space where you can deposit crafting mats and gathered materials. There is no comparison whatsoever with this game where those items have to share limited inventory space. It was easy and cheap to craft or buy bags in GW2 to increase inventory space, and there were vendors everywhere you could sell junk items to. Inventory space is extremely expensive in ESO and gets more expensive with each upgrade. By the time I got to level 17 I only had enough money to buy two personal upgrades and 1 bank upgrade, or 30 slots total. This was despite farming the hell out of mobs due to broken quests keeping me from moving on in the game.

As I mentioned crafting supplies could be sent back to your bank from everywhere. Finally, you could make your own personal bank guilds for additional space. You could enter WvW from anywhere and use the crafting stations in your home base, then go right back to where you left off in PVE by relogging.There simply is no comparing these two games and how they handle inventory.

Repair costs are NOT negligible, even if you don't die. I farmed a boss at level 15 with a group of players while honing my bow skills and didn't get hit once. At then end of an hour I had a 450 g repair bill, at a time when I had just 2000g to my name (having spent the rest on overpriced bag upgrades). That is exorbitant.

Soul gems are expensive, and get even more pricey as you gain in level. Gems you bought earlier then become obsolete.They add nothing to the game but cost. You need them to rez others and recharge your weapons and you will never find enough to meet that need.

I never claimed these mechanics were not similar to other MMOs, instead I criticized them for that very reason and the fact they are even more regressive than many other games including the ones you mentioned.

Originally posted by Kinado

Of all the features TESO is missing to make it a proper MMO you're worried about quality of life lil that are easily fixed?

I'd worry more about how empty Cyrodiil is and the amount of walking you have to do there compared with the amount of fighting you actually do. I mean real fighting, not standing on a wall throwing the occasional fireball to some poor bastard.

It's not an either/or situation and my last comment was on a thread addressing the very issue you mentioned. The fact that all these things are easily fixed is why I mentioned them. They can give us unlimited inventory space in less time than it took for me to type out that post.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i fail to see how Soul Gems are a bad mechanic. Other than GW2 down state i cant see any other good "dead mechanic" besides Soul Gems. OP maybe didnt play Skyrim so dont know how useful SOul Gems can be. Specially in an mmo where you can be in a tight situation with only one soul gem remaining and deciding what to do, revive a party member and avoid a wipe or keep it for yourself and try to finish the fight with higher risk of wiping.

Soul Gems are a really nice mechanic. And they are very cheap when bought empty. And the soul tap skill is pretty good too, specially after morphing it.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

1...   Bag space is more then enough, combined with the fact that you can craft from your bank inventory...  On top of that you can get to a merchant or bank quite easilly withouth hours of traveling....  And extra slots are available for both inventory and bank, its widely expandable

2. Any game needs a money pit, make sure you dont die and there is almost no repair costs,  it really works very much as intended, tough  players that die a lot pay a lot... Which seems to be atleast some kind of deadpennalty players feel.

3.  Soul gems are easy to aquire, and add flavour and depth... In those simple fights that give you soulgems, you seriously dont need all those 12 skills you have, and can easilly have a spot for the soulmagic...  This mechanic forces you to plan ahead, in general i stuff 50 soulgems, and try fill up used ones as fast as its possible..  I just love the mechanic

1. No it isn't. If bag space were "more than enough" you would never run out of inventory space and you would never have to buy upgrades. If you are running our of space constantly you do not have "more than enough" by definition, and if you are claiming you never run out of space without constantly emptying your bags forgive me if I think you are playing a different game than the one I am or never loot much of anything. My bag space fills up every one to two hours of casual play, mostly with crafting items that are worthless to vendor and for which I have no room to store.

2. This is a myth. Games do not need money sinks, particularly where there is no Auction House and therefore no real player-driven economy. In the real world, most people prefer having more than enough money to buy what they want and need. I see no reason this would be different in the game world. The economy should serve game play. game play should not serve the economy.

3. They are not easy to acquire. I am level 10 with my second toon now and haven't found one on that toon, nor can I afford to buy more than a few (which would have me forego the bag space I desperately need so scratch that). Tedious make-work crap doesn't add "depth." If it did, why not just make us take off our armor and weapons and spent 2 hours a day honing and cleaning them just like in the real world, or have us wait 4 days to nurse our wounds...all for "depth." Tedium is tedium, not depth. Depth is having more than 5 abilities and a more intricate combat system.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Kinado

It's not an either/or situation and my last comment was on a thread addressing the very issue you mentioned. The fact that all these things are easily fixed is why I mentioned them. They can give us unlimited inventory space in less time than it took for me to type out that post.

Maybe they don't want you to have unlimited bag space?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
    Originally posted by Crazy_Stick
    From my point of view, the things you mention are integral to MMORPG play. They are money sinks to give you something to spend all that coin on and minor bits of resource management. Its alright to question their implementation in TESO but these play features do have a purpose. I will admit that I think some things are balanced to favor a cash shop (like a horse purchase over the in game coin grind for one) and the accumulating fees left me wondering if some means of purchasing in game currency with cash shop item sale was going to be made available.

I don't see where these things are integral to MMO play. Are you suggesting an MMO can't be designed with unlimited inventory, no repair bills and no soul gems? Lots of games out there don't require you to recharge your weapons and Guild Wars 2 requires no consumables to rez people. Many games include this nonsense due to a lack of creativity and originality, not because they are necessary. WWWD (What Would WoW Do?) is an operative philosophy of too many MMOs nowadays.

In the real world, most people would not enjoy driving a car that required constant repairs even if it were never in an accident, so why assume that most people would enjoy a similar mechanic in a game? Most people prefer having more money than they need, not less, and hate paying taxes, so why assume that constant money sinks and taxes add anything to games? In the real world, most people prefer having too much storage space rather than too little. The people who don't feel this way are a minority, I suspect.

I am beginning to suspect that the real reason for the difficulty in accumulating money and lack of inventory space is Cashshopilitis, or the need to cripple aspects of the  game so people are forced to buy things like a horse or inventory space rather than grind the in-game gold to buy them. Time will tell.

• SalmonManSalmonMan Member UncommonPosts: 192

I liked the graphics, I liked the quests, I liked the lore and the exploring (really loved that in fact). But for me the biggest killer was the "phasing" rubbish. It absolutely kills group stuff and doing things with friends and guidlies. If you even fall a little out of 'sync' with them you are screwed and they vanish or the world is different for parts of the group. It's horrible.

I understand why they did it, but it's a nightmare for just grouping and wanting to go off questing.

Thanks for the heads-up, professor. But I intend to continue to use the word irregardless of whether it is a proper word or not :)

Originally posted by Distopia

Ya think?

• alterfenixalterfenix Member UncommonPosts: 370

1. You complain that inventory in TESO is immersion breaking yet you praise GW2... How exactly running around with a few tons of junk on your back is immersive? Not saying that TESO is good here but then GW2 is simply far worse and in fact far more immersion breaking I'd say.

My suggestion would be to bring old backpack behaviour known from other TES games - that would include also slowdowns and immobilise effect. Granted it also has no inventory slot limits like in GW2 but it has other mechanics in place to cover for it.

2. You must be more often dead than alive in game. Or you simply have nothing to complain about.

3. Who cares really? In Pve there are enough wayshrines everywhere it seems. In RvR eventually mostly pugs will use it. More organised groups will use it only occasionally or they will anyway prefer old tactics called "respawn, regroup, run together".

Seriously again the game has currently far more real issues than what you say.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Ya think?

i agree the initial bag size needs to be bigger since the merchants sell them for way too much money. But, unlimited bag space is just silly. I dont want hand holding in my games. I do admit they should have the mechanic from GW2 to send all the crafting stuff straight to a separate bank slot.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by rojo6934

Ya think?

i agree the initial bag size needs to be bigger since the merchants sell them for way too much money. But, unlimited bag space is just silly. I dont want hand holding in my games. I do admit they should have the mechanic from GW2 to send all the crafting stuff straight to a separate bank slot.

I don't think it's much of an issue TBH; well, as long as it doesn't become an "extra" that one can circumvent with RL cash. I'm all for taking some of that "have it easy and now" mentality out of this genre. I think people have become far to used to the miniscule progression most games offer today. They sure love complaining about it though. The problem is we can't have it both ways.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• atziluthatziluth Member UncommonPosts: 1,190

Your comparing apples to oranges. GW2 gave you tons of free bank space where you can deposit crafting mats and gathered materials. There is no comparison whatsoever with this game where those items have to share limited inventory space. It was easy and cheap to craft or buy bags in GW2 to increase inventory space, and there were vendors everywhere you could sell junk items to. Inventory space is extremely expensive in ESO and gets more expensive with each upgrade. By the time I got to level 17 I only had enough money to buy two personal upgrades and 1 bank upgrade, or 30 slots total. This was despite farming the hell out of mobs due to broken quests keeping me from moving on in the game.

As I mentioned crafting supplies could be sent back to your bank from everywhere. Finally, you could make your own personal bank guilds for additional space. You could enter WvW from anywhere and use the crafting stations in your home base, then go right back to where you left off in PVE by relogging.There simply is no comparing these two games and how they handle inventory.

Repair costs are NOT negligible, even if you don't die. I farmed a boss at level 15 with a group of players while honing my bow skills and didn't get hit once. At then end of an hour I had a 450 g repair bill, at a time when I had just 2000g to my name (having spent the rest on overpriced bag upgrades). That is exorbitant.

Soul gems are expensive, and get even more pricey as you gain in level. Gems you bought earlier then become obsolete.They add nothing to the game but cost. You need them to rez others and recharge your weapons and you will never find enough to meet that need.

I never claimed these mechanics were not similar to other MMOs, instead I criticized them for that very reason and the fact they are even more regressive than many other games including the ones you mentioned.

I'm not. All three games mentioned have both pack and bank space for general use. GW2 does mix it up by having a crafting bank with an initial limit of 250 with the overflow having to go to general space. This can be upgraded to 1000 units through cash purchase. That does not diminish the fact that GW2 general bank space was exceedingly restrictive when you count crafting overflow, repair kits, boosters, event items, siege plans, etc... 30 slots was design to railroad players into a monetary purchase. Even with no crafting bank slots I find ESO starting out much less restrictive bank wise.  

Now ESO also offsets this with space GW2 does not have (pack mounts up to 50 slots). The strictly GW2 mentioned mechanics are hardly mainstream... So expecting them in ESO is presumptive. I already provided the general numbers showing ESO gives significantly more general space at start and comparable space at end game. 

It sounds like the problem is your play style not game mechanics. Farming bosses sounds like you are trying to grind in this game which has already been indicated to be very inefficient. Trying to power your way through will leave you deficient in funds and heavily dependent on high cost resources. I have found none of the issues you have experienced. I take the time to run back/fast travel to a merchant. My gold generation has comfortably exceeded my costs (repair, soul gems, crafting purchases). 

Adapt to the game or move to something you are more comfortable with, the choice is yours, but I don't expect significant changes to the systems you are complaining about. 

-Atziluth-

- Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.