Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anti-PKers

YoungCaesarYoungCaesar Member UncommonPosts: 326
In games like Ultima Online and now Mortal online, although considered a free for all gankfest by ppl on this forum, actually has guilds dedicated to fighting griefers and protecting towns... In these games murderers are flagged red and innocents blue, so reds are banned from towns, and theres guards to inforce that... Now my question, since theres so many PvE players here that really hate griefers and suggest silly penalties such as jailing (lol wtf? so the PKer has to stare at a cell for a day while paying for the game?) why dont they try to actually fight the griefers and help the innocent ppl instead of expecting the game to do  it for them????

Comments

• hulgarhulgar Member Posts: 93
    And why would i play a pvp game if im a pver..i dont ask them to place pve...what bothers me is pvpers asking to place pvp in pve games..STAY OUT OF MY LAWN
  • General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by hulgar
    And why would i play a pvp game if im a pver..i dont ask them to place pve...what bothers me is pvpers asking to place pvp in pve games..STAY OUT OF MY LAWN

I agree.

Pure PvE players have made their beds, however the "PvP focused" Mmo's will never win over any of the hybrid players because those games have better funding which usually means better grahpics, frequent updates, so on and so forth. Somebody is going to have to step up and make a AAA PvP game so us PvPers can stay out of your wonderful scripted Mmo's.

• FinalFikusFinalFikus Member Posts: 906

PK today is the path of least resistance for kids.  They quit as soon as they have to evaluate a situation. The ultimate punishment is an hour in jail lol.

Roleplayers are deleting their chars to provide permadeath. Come back and ask when PK's are more than the mosquitos of mmorpgs.

"If the Damned gave you a roadmap, then you'd know just where to go"

Why do PVE players get to choses what  they engage in, and expect the best rewards and access to all content, while demanding others be denied the same.  Stay off my lawn? see what I mean? No one else gets to.

PVE and PVP games? Roleplayers are the hardcore and this is their genre and these are roleplaying games.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Because Pve players are not soldiers, they don't want to fight anymore, not in self defense, nor for a cause, they want to be left alone.

They solve the problem by not playing games that support PvP griefing, pretty clever eh?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

The "hardcore roleplayer" is a middle aged man that begun with pnp rpg in wich they COOPERATED with others to face a greater foe "scripted" by the GM. Of course you could kill a mate..but most of the best GM will have a nasty surprise if you did..rpg are for coopetarion fps are for competition.
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    Originally posted by YoungCaesar
    In games like Ultima Online and now Mortal online, although considered a free for all gankfest by ppl on this forum, actually has guilds dedicated to fighting griefers and protecting towns... In these games murderers are flagged red and innocents blue, so reds are banned from towns, and theres guards to inforce that... Now my question, since theres so many PvE players here that really hate griefers and suggest silly penalties such as jailing (lol wtf? so the PKer has to stare at a cell for a day while paying for the game?) why dont they try to actually fight the griefers and help the innocent ppl instead of expecting the game to do  it for them????

Simple jailing don't work , you need something for them to do in jail or they will all quit or afk and wait for release time.

Ask them break stone depend on number of kill and the heavy crime they do.

For example :

You pk innocents player same level with you > 100 point > 100 stone

The difference between level bigger > more point > more stone.

Max level hunt low level > big points > spend more time in jail

Add a boss to raid which drop a key but need full party to hunt > all party work for 1 player go out.

Key will disappear when next boss spawn so only 1 people get out each time

There are many idea for fun jail time ... but they are never used anyway lol .

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805
    Originally posted by FinalFikus

PK today is the path of least resistance for kids.  They quit as soon as they have to evaluate a situation. The ultimate punishment is an hour in jail lol.

Roleplayers are deleting their chars to provide permadeath. Come back and ask when PK's are more than the mosquitos of mmorpgs.

Like that's going to stop anybody. That's why you have two accounts. One to PK with and accept whatever punishment for whatever time and another you just grind and have fun with, until the time is up on the other.

Nobody cares about jail time it's a poor solution like putting a band aid on an amputated arm

That's not even discussing how retarded it is, to have a pvp system where you are punished if you engage in it. Might as well not have it at all, if you are going to make it as unattractive as humanly possible

• sunflamesunflame Member UncommonPosts: 181

This... don't want pvp in my pve!

Originally posted by StonesDK

Like that's going to stop anybody. That's why you have two accounts. One to PK with and accept whatever punishment for whatever time and another you just grind and have fun with, until the time is up on the other.

Nobody cares about jail time it's a poor solution like putting a band aid on an amputated arm

That's not even discussing how retarded it is, to have a pvp system where you are punished if you engage in it. Might as well not have it at all, if you are going to make it as unattractive as humanly possible

I agree. PVP and PK is not the same thing. PVP involve two willing participants. PK involves one.

Again, these are roleplaying games.

But  PVe players cant walk with out a super reward for doing so, and pvp players cant pvp if they must be willing to lose what they take from others. Both go running to the developers like they are their mothers.

No option to avoid either of these groups and play with people who want to play the game instead of fighting over momma's teet.

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    Originally posted by sunflame

Honest question - how does fighting scripted AI not get boring? Part of the reason I love PvP is because it's dynamic. Fighting people is simply more interesting than fighting the same boss over, and over, and over, and over again.I know this is just an opinion, but I honestly want to know your opinion. What do you find entertaining about fighting AI?

• anrenruianrenrui Member UncommonPosts: 21
    HUR DUR
    With all honesty mcrippins i play games to relax and evade..not to be over my toes..but to meet other people and overcome obstacles..develop a character and so on..but in a relaxing way.
    Cheers
    With all honesty mcrippins i play games to relax and evade..not to be over my toes..but to meet other people and overcome obstacles..develop a character and so on..but in a relaxing way.
    Cheers

I can see that. I suppose i've always been competitive in games, so that could easily be the difference. I'll admit the PvE 'boss' fights have come a long way to make them more entertaining. I guess it's all just preference.

• OtakunOtakun Member UncommonPosts: 874
    Originally posted by mcrippins

Honest question - how does fighting scripted AI not get boring? Part of the reason I love PvP is because it's dynamic. Fighting people is simply more interesting than fighting the same boss over, and over, and over, and over again.I know this is just an opinion, but I honestly want to know your opinion. What do you find entertaining about fighting AI?

Fighting people is more interesting then fighting AIs but there are issues with fighting people where as I can go kill millions of AIs much quicker, get my exp and move on. Fighting a person only sets up someone getting butthurt for little to no reward and a penalty of wasting time on top of it. Even with Arena/Battlegrounds, there is a lot of waiting/downtime for the same rinse and repeat gameplay and the more overpowered classes standing out to own you or if you are the OP class people sending you tells about how "no skillz" you are, which I had to deal with in Rift. 

Originally posted by Otakun

Fighting people is more interesting then fighting AIs but there are issues with fighting people where as I can go kill millions of AIs much quicker, get my exp and move on. Fighting a person only sets up someone getting butthurt for little to no reward and a penalty of wasting time on top of it. Even with Arena/Battlegrounds, there is a lot of waiting/downtime for the same rinse and repeat gameplay and the more overpowered classes standing out to own you or if you are the OP class people sending you tells about how "no skillz" you are, which I had to deal with in Rift. 

Yeah this is why I'm not a huge fan of classes and WoW style PvP. I mean.. it was fun, but always paper, rock, scissors. When I played UO though - the AI was not very good. The PvP was excellent, and there were no classes. Even though some will tell you that UO was a huge gank fest. This for the most part was not true. There were some PK guilds, and plenty of Anti-PK players/guilds, and the Guild vs Guild was crazy. There was a reward for PvP'ing as well which was getting to loot the other person if you won. Thus, encouraging you to get better at it. However, at the end of the day - they ended up making a full PvE replica of the land, where noone could fight. For me that killed the game, and I never could understand why they would destroy such a core mechanic. So I appreciate your input.

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    Cheers

I can see that. I suppose i've always been competitive in games, so that could easily be the difference. I'll admit the PvE 'boss' fights have come a long way to make them more entertaining. I guess it's all just preference.

When I was younger, I only rolled on pvp servers and I liked pvp much more because it was exciting. I got bored to death on a pve only server. But after a while, I started to get annoyed by pvp when I was just chilling after a long day of work, trying to farm some mats or something. I was on a pvp server, so I couldn't complain and the guys were about the same level as me, but it just wasn't fun anymore. There was no point to it. No loot to be gained or lost.  I tried a pve server and liked it a lot better after that. That was WoW.

Darkfall was another story. I played that a lot (after WoW) and I liked the pvp because there was more of a point to it. You could lose all your stuff or you could kill someone and take all their stuff. And there was a point to grouping with people that you trusted and played with regularly, so that you could look out for each other and build a relationship over time. There were some d-bags in that game, but they were really a minority. If you spoke to people who pk'd you (which you can't do in WoW) you would find most of them pretty cool. They were just another person like you having fun pvp-ing, not some psychopath, as a lot of people claim.

So it depends on the game. I could play a game *like* Darkfall, but DFUW just didn't work out for me. I'm not going to get into why here.

It could be age. It could just be how the game is set up.

Originally posted by d_20
    Cheers

When I was younger, I only rolled on pvp servers and I liked pvp much more because it was exciting. I got bored to death on a pve only server. But after a while, I started to get annoyed by pvp when I was just chilling after a long day of work, trying to farm some mats or something. I was on a pvp server, so I couldn't complain and the guys were about the same level as me, but it just wasn't fun anymore. There was no point to it. No loot to be gained or lost.  I tried a pve server and liked it a lot better after that. That was WoW.

Darkfall was another story. I played that a lot (after WoW) and I liked the pvp because there was more of a point to it. You could lose all your stuff or you could kill someone and take all their stuff. And there was a point to grouping with people that you trusted and played with regularly, so that you could look out for each other and build a relationship over time. There were some d-bags in that game, but they were really a minority. If you spoke to people who pk'd you (which you can't do in WoW) you would find most of them pretty cool. They were just another person like you having fun pvp-ing, not some psychopath, as a lot of people claim.

So it depends on the game. I could play a game *like* Darkfall, but DFUW just didn't work out for me. I'm not going to get into why here.

It could be age. It could just be how the game is set up.

Darkfall could have been great.  Cheaters arent a selling point though.

• Saxx0nSaxx0n PR/Brand Manager BitBox Ltd.Member UncommonPosts: 999
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Because Pve players are not soldiers, they don't want to fight anymore, not in self defense, nor for a cause, they want to be left alone.

They solve the problem by not playing games that support PvP griefing, pretty clever eh?

Heh I laugh when I see these responses.

AI is making advances and becoming more complex. A good example is "Storybricks" in the EQ series.

So what are you going to do when the AI npc mobs gank and grief you? The time of the loot pinatas is fading away.

I hope you prepared to adapt unless they keep WoW going for the next 10 years.

• PednickPednick Member UncommonPosts: 28

"An it harm none, do what thou wilt"

• Saxx0nSaxx0n PR/Brand Manager BitBox Ltd.Member UncommonPosts: 999
    Originally posted by Pednick

The poster makes a good point. It is just another symptom of the "entitlement generation" expecting everything to be handed to them. So  many have no idea the feeling of empowerment gained by "earning" their peace and safety and instill fear and a sense of dread in those that would want to do you harm.

Band together to overcome a problem. This builds friendships, guilds and online communities.

The feeling of chasing down these "griefers" and having them run in fear and killing them is awesome.

Empower yourself and don't expect to be carried. It builds self esteem and confidence.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

First, if this isn't a troll post, I don't know what is.  Second, you might notice that most of those "they need penalty" posts are from the PvP players, not PvE players.  Adding penalties doesn't change the fundamental nature of a game, it just adds some definition to the PvP.  This is for the PvP players, not the PvE players.

To answer the troll question, the PvE players aren't playing the PvP games in the first place, not for long anyway.  Fighting the griefers isn't how they want to spend their game time.

The core problem with "fighting the griefers" is that it doesn't end.  A game like Mortal Online is about fighting other players.  If someone isn't interested in spending most of their game time fighting other players, why would they play the game in the first place, much less spend all their time fighting griefers?

Troll post or a fantastic misunderstanding of why people play games.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Originally posted by lizardbones

First, if this isn't a troll post, I don't know what is.  Second, you might notice that most of those "they need penalty" posts are from the PvP players, not PvE players.  Adding penalties doesn't change the fundamental nature of a game, it just adds some definition to the PvP.  This is for the PvP players, not the PvE players.

To answer the troll question, the PvE players aren't playing the PvP games in the first place, not for long anyway.  Fighting the griefers isn't how they want to spend their game time.

The core problem with "fighting the griefers" is that it doesn't end.  A game like Mortal Online is about fighting other players.  If someone isn't interested in spending most of their game time fighting other players, why would they play the game in the first place, much less spend all their time fighting griefers?

Troll post or a fantastic misunderstanding of why people play games.

And gee, it's not like we never thought of that either.

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

I agree. PVP and PK is not the same thing. PVP involve two willing participants. PK involves one.

But  PVe players cant walk with out a super reward for doing so, and pvp players cant pvp if they must be willing to lose what they take from others. Both go running to the developers like they are their mothers.

No option to avoid either of these groups and play with people who want to play the game instead of fighting over momma's teet.

Bare with me if i missed the points you were making but PK and PvP goes hand in hand. You can't PK in a non PvP game. That's where my point comes into play.

Lets be completely honest here. There would be no PK's without the sheep and that's what it's all about. PK'ers need willing targets. By willing targets I mean people mainly interested in the PvE while be at risk, PK'ers freely can kill.

In order to get the sheep to be sheep for the slaughter, you would need a system where the sheep will be somewhat satisfied after getting killed. That's an illusion that won't work on any level regardless of what system is in place. Nobody wants to be the sheep. Not for roleplaying reasons or any other

Bare with me if i missed the points you were making but PK and PvP goes hand in hand. You can't PK in a non PvP game. That's where my point comes into play.

Lets be completely honest here. There would be no PK's without the sheep and that's what it's all about. PK'ers need willing targets. By willing targets I mean people mainly interested in the PvE while be at risk, PK'ers freely can kill.

In order to get the sheep to be sheep for the slaughter, you would need a system where the sheep will be somewhat satisfied after getting killed. That's an illusion that won't work on any level regardless of what system is in place. Nobody wants to be the sheep. Not for roleplaying reasons or any other

Not really. Pk's should be role players. they are the only one who can handle it.  they are the only one who don't shoot their pvp  all over as soon as they see a back to attack. Making the experience for the victim something to remember, so they remember and fear them and their territory. Give their victims a story to tell. Old school shit.

Now no one even knows or cares who they are. Mostly bored kids or cheaters or devs I guess. Then after they want to go back to playing the regular game. They have guilds and alts and use every trick to get a win. Causing people to quit is a reason to hi 5 their non Pk helper.  Acting in all sorts of manner, crying to devs?? lol

There is a total difference. A pk has a name. Has a code. Has a role.

Anything else is nub pvp maybe?