Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR Experience

Comments

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    At low level, (or any level for that matter) upon completing group quests, am I better off taking commendations or gear?

That depends; are you crafting?  If not, I would say compare the gear offered to what you are currently wearing.  If it's substantially better, take it, if it's only a little better, take the commendations, you can always use them to buy gear relatively close to your current level.

If you are crafting, it gets more complicated, and the answer would depend on which craft you are pursuing.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    At low level, (or any level for that matter) upon completing group quests, am I better off taking commendations or gear?

at the first 2 planets it does'nt matter that much if you dont have moddable gear so spend em however  you like after that just save them for the best mods to make sure you're ready for the next planet. also make sure that you save some to upgrade your companion aswell.

also dont forget to visit yor factions fleet for daily/weekly flashpoint quests they'll give you a nice chunk of comms.

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    In no game ever I had a single maxed out alt. Close, but not top. In wow and Swtor however I have build and maxed out all of possible combinations of classes and rest. This should suffice to understand how above every other game in the world of all times Wow & Swtor are. Best ever experience.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

I reached 12 on my Sith. I am truly enjoying the story so far. It's a very different experience than other MMOs. And while the story is geared towards my personal experience, I had no trouble finding a group to do my +2 Heroic group quests. In fact, Chat was announcing them constantly. And then again, the Black Talon Flash Point. Was easy enough to get into, and was very enjoyable. Though the integrated story and simultaneous "clickies" were annoying due to frequent player disconnects. For crafting, I've taken up TH, Art and Arch for Crew Skills. It's not one of the better crafting systems I've seen implemented, But it's OK. I do like that I can mod my gear thought. 

I have heard this game being referred to a a "CORPG" meaning it's thought of a s aingle player RPG with multiplayer features. Honestly, I'm not seeing the real difference with other Theme Parks that don't have "soft grouping" like GW2. (meaning games like WoW) The primary leveling experience is a solo affair and where grouping is recommended, it's been easy enough to find.

So far, my overall opinion of SWTOR is higher than I thought it would be. 

I also acknowledge that I am only level 12 and a lot can change very quickly.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by wildscore12
    Originally posted by superniceguy
    Originally posted by Muke
    Originally posted by asmkm22
    It's pretty fun for the first 20 or 30 levels.  After that, it gets really old and loses the charm.  Still worth one playthrough for the story though.  Just don't expect it to offer a traditional MMO long-term endgame, where the best stuff is at max level.

That's where I lost interest in this game after a while, when at end level you run into a brick wall, either do the daily grind to gear up or start a alt.

SWTOR is a themepark mmo, if it was a real sandbox with those instances as extra features I would definately still play it.

Yeah sandbox fans this game is not for them.  Themepark this is one of the better ones out.  

LOTRO is a theme park, and it has fishing, housing, mounts, decent crafting, hunt down creatures for resources - pretty much everything that I listed in my previous post.

SWTOR is not even a themepark - It is like Mass Effect with multiplayer - a game with a story that you play through

I haven't played Mass Effect. But If I get the reference, I am finding this to be true. So far, I am enjoying the story.  Although, I thought I wanted to play a dual pistol Smuggler, I am finding the Sith Warrior to be more enjoyable.

But yeah, overall, It feels like it want's to be an MMORPG, but the game cannot get out of it's own way to be one. Still, it doesn't necessarily have to be one either. And that doesn't mean I dislike the game or that it's not worth playing....or even subbing. So far it has been. (10 levels worth anyway)

Yeah no offense but the single player talking point is ridiculous.  Yes it has similarities but in mass effect can you do the following?

Craft items and sell in the GTN? Nope

Trade items with other players ? Nope

Join other players for heroic areas? Nope

join other players for FP? Nope

play with 15 others and run an ops ? Nope

do pvp? Nope

need others to help track down parks for companions ? Nope

group up for world bosses? Nope

group up for datacrons? Nope 

group for daily areas? Nope 

ect ect

so how is this like mass effect ?

You misunderstand, I did not say the game was like Mass Effect. I said the game was like Mass Effect with multiplayer. All the bits you listed are "with multiplayer" part

SWTOR does not really enhance on the theme park MMO, beacuse other theme park MMOs still have more features than SWTOR, but enhances the single player game, and even Dead Space allows you to group up, and trade items with other players. Even Fallout 3 has player housing.

For most people the game is worth levelling up a couple of characters through Imperial and then Repubic (or vice versa) but after that when going through the same quests on a Imperial or Republic character it starts to get boring. There is then the flashpoints, operations, warzones but you can only play the same amount of content each time before it gets boring, like what that poster said who stopped playing. Things like fishing and player housing keep people playing the game longer, the more variety of stuff to do in game then the longer people will play, and get less bored. In SWG I got bored of certain features but then there was something else to do, and by the time I played through all the features I was no longer bored of the first feature that I got bored with, so it kept me playing constantly, and i did not quit the game at all, and played solidly for 8.5 years

When I said about the game not having mounts, I meant creature mounts. In SWG it was cool to ride a bantha or a dewback, as sand people / stormtroopers did in  A New Hope or a varactyl as Obi Wan did in Revenge of the Sith. Not having creature mounts steals gameplay from the game

At least they are now adding Player Housing, it is the first thing they have done right, to ensure the longevity of the game. Just keeping to adding Flashpoints etc as extra content, just make it like a single player game (with multiplayer) having extra DLC - just adding more of the same content, and not expanding the game with more variety. variety is the spice of life!

• BlasphimBlasphim Member UncommonPosts: 354
    It's pretty fun for the first 20 or 30 levels.  After that, it gets really old and loses the charm.  Still worth one playthrough for the story though.  Just don't expect it to offer a traditional MMO long-term endgame, where the best stuff is at max level.

That's where I lost interest in this game after a while, when at end level you run into a brick wall, either do the daily grind to gear up or start a alt.

SWTOR is a themepark mmo, if it was a real sandbox with those instances as extra features I would definately still play it.

Yeah sandbox fans this game is not for them.  Themepark this is one of the better ones out.  

LOTRO is a theme park, and it has fishing, housing, mounts, decent crafting, hunt down creatures for resources - pretty much everything that I listed in my previous post.

SWTOR is not even a themepark - It is like Mass Effect with multiplayer - a game with a story that you play through

I haven't played Mass Effect. But If I get the reference, I am finding this to be true. So far, I am enjoying the story.  Although, I thought I wanted to play a dual pistol Smuggler, I am finding the Sith Warrior to be more enjoyable.

But yeah, overall, It feels like it want's to be an MMORPG, but the game cannot get out of it's own way to be one. Still, it doesn't necessarily have to be one either. And that doesn't mean I dislike the game or that it's not worth playing....or even subbing. So far it has been. (10 levels worth anyway)

Yeah no offense but the single player talking point is ridiculous.  Yes it has similarities but in mass effect can you do the following?

do pvp? Nope

ect ect

You misunderstand, I did not say the game was like Mass Effect. I said the game was like Mass Effect with multiplayer. All the bits you listed are "with multiplayer" part

SWTOR does not really enhance on the theme park MMO, beacuse other theme park MMOs still have more features than SWTOR, but enhances the single player game, and even Dead Space allows you to group up, and trade items with other players. Even Fallout 3 has player housing.

For most people the game is worth levelling up a couple of characters through Imperial and then Repubic (or vice versa) but after that when going through the same quests on a Imperial or Republic character it starts to get boring. There is then the flashpoints, operations, warzones but you can only play the same amount of content each time before it gets boring, like what that poster said who stopped playing. Things like fishing and player housing keep people playing the game longer, the more variety of stuff to do in game then the longer people will play, and get less bored. In SWG I got bored of certain features but then there was something else to do, and by the time I played through all the features I was no longer bored of the first feature that I got bored with, so it kept me playing constantly, and i did not quit the game at all, and played solidly for 8.5 years

When I said about the game not having mounts, I meant creature mounts. In SWG it was cool to ride a bantha or a dewback, as sand people / stormtroopers did in  A New Hope or a varactyl as Obi Wan did in Revenge of the Sith. Not having creature mounts steals gameplay from the game

At least they are now adding Player Housing, it is the first thing they have done right, to ensure the longevity of the game. Just keeping to adding Flashpoints etc as extra content, just make it like a single player game (with multiplayer) having extra DLC - just adding more of the same content, and not expanding the game with more variety. variety is the spice of life!

Just a FYI, there are creature mounts in TOR, dewbacks, varactyls, tauntauns, pretty soon some will be riding rancors.  no banthas yet as far as I know, but, there ya go, creature mounts.

• LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294
    Originally posted by Blasphim

do pvp? Nope

ect ect

Just a FYI, there are creature mounts in TOR, dewbacks, varactyls, tauntauns, pretty soon some will be riding rancors.  no banthas yet as far as I know, but, there ya go, creature mounts.

You could do whatever you wanted to do in SWG. It was a complete experience like no other.

SWTOR is nothing compared to SWG. It's bland with almost no freedom at all. If it wasn't for the SW IP, it wold probably have been shut down already.

So how did a thread that is supposed to discuss early experiences in SWTOR game play turn into an argument over SWTOR vs. SWG? SWG was one of my early MMOs and has a place in my heart. Sadly, that's gone. So love it or hate it, there is only SWTOR. 
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101

Game was set 1000 years before the events in the movies.

Chamber of Chains
    So how did a thread that is supposed to discuss early experiences in SWTOR game play turn into an argument over SWTOR vs. SWG? SWG was one of my early MMOs and has a place in my heart. Sadly, that's gone. So love it or hate it, there is only SWTOR. 

Check out SNG and Loveno history. Every time they post in a Swtor thread they hijack it into swg had this, swg had that , swg this, swg that.  They give the real fans of swg a bad name.  

But how is leveling going?  Find yourself a good guild I found that to help with the experience . 

Being a SWG fan, I sympathize. SWG, as a concept, was a superior game. Unfortunately, SOE.s implementation was lacking. I'll leave it there. 

But as to your question........and the reason I am a little irritated over the thread hijack is that I answered your question last night and it was completely drowend out by the arguments posted on this page.

See post 71 in this thread.

No guild yet......On my Sith anyway.  On my Smuggler, I had gotten a blind guild invite that I accepted (I usually don't) and I wasn't surprised to see it was a fledgling guild. I typically hold out on guilds until I can get a real feel for a server and to see which ones are for real before I decide.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying the game, Geezer!

The leveling experience is as you said, no different from other themepark MMO's, accept quest, do quest, turn in quest, get xp and move on to the next thing - while you occasionally team up for group content.

The only difference really is the story focus with its cutscenes, and I imagine that's where a lot of those comments come from - and often from people who believe an MMO should be 90% group content and it should be nearly impossible to level up solo.

A mistake that a lot of MMO's made prior to WoW's success, and have started to shun ever since WoW was lauded for letting people level the way they want to.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Glad to here that you are enjoying the game so far geezer! At twelve you are just starting to open up to the world quests that you can do in addition to the main story. They usually begin with an NPC at the planet spaceport. I usually do the world and side quests first so that I can do my personal story all in one shot. You also have the planetary bonus quests that await you when you're just about ready to leave the planet.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

I almost always get commendations. if you play more than 1 character you can buy mods for commendations on one character and send them to other. Works great for me.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

And of course right now is double XP weekend so looks like I'll be leveling my gunslinger. :)

• DroosteelDroosteel Member Posts: 138

If you decide to continue subscription, 2 month game cards cost as low as 13 euro/17 dollars. Too bad noone told you that.

Leveling was never problem in SWTOR, but be prepared that as you level you it wont be easy to find random groups for heroics and youll be skipping them, well, all.

Do your daily/weekly PvP/FP quests, collect commendations (NEVER take gear as reward), keep your weapon/offhand hilts/barrels/armor on level (you can swap every 4 levels), buy cheapest adaptive gear from GTN, buy cheap green armor mods from GTN, buy blue mods/enhnancements with commendations every 4 levels.

Collect PvP comms and you can buy planetary comms with them on fleet, and theres pvp armor vendor on capital worlds that sells 20/40 (usually) good looking class armor for iirc around 500 comms.

Dont skip cutscenes and youll be fine. Till Makeb/endgame. Thats when quality jumps off the cliff.

I think everyone enjoys SWTOR at the early stages of the game, myself included, but once you have maxed a char in Republic and then Imperial it starts to lose its appeal.

Double XP may not be a good thing for new players - it can spoil the levelling process. It is great for experienced players, as it helps to level alts without getting bored to tears by playing through the same quests over and over again.

• bobdole1979bobdole1979 Member Posts: 210
    Originally posted by funcon
    SWTOR has to many loading screens that ruin immersion. And the game engine sucks, it doesnt allow large scale wpvp. But I do like the graphics and animations. Another thing I do not like is the classes mirror each other, so it is really only 4 classes total in game.

I've never understood this arguement

How do loading screens ruin imerrsion?   Is there an MMO that doesn't have any loading screens?

you mean 8 classes since each advandce class is different then the others but you already knew that.

Oh and yes the engine does allow for large scale WPVP  Just look at any Ilum battle.  I have been in battles of around 100 people in Illum now.

But you keep trying to push the same old lies.

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937
    Originally posted by bobdole1979

Oh and yes the engine does allow for large scale WPVP  Just look at any Ilum battle.  I have been in battles of around 100 people in Illum now.

This could get a bit messy.

Originally posted by bobdole1979
    Originally posted by funcon
    SWTOR has to many loading screens that ruin immersion. And the game engine sucks, it doesnt allow large scale wpvp. But I do like the graphics and animations. Another thing I do not like is the classes mirror each other, so it is really only 4 classes total in game.

I've never understood this arguement

How do loading screens ruin imerrsion?   Is there an MMO that doesn't have any loading screens?

Considering that the only loading screens you deal with in TOR is when you enter or leave a planet/space station I've never understood it either. I've played other games that had loading screens every five minutes and TOR is not one of those. 

you mean 8 classes since each advandce class is different then the others but you already knew that.

I also get tired of reading the same lies by the same people who have been posting them ever since the game was released, but let's not let them derail and close down another constructive thread. The OP can see what is true and what isn't. 

The XP weekend has boosted my to 24 still on Balmora. Side quests are now gray so I am skipping some. Not sure how beneficial this is to me.

I'd been keeping my lightsabers modded with Art skills. But now, I really can't keep up and my sabers are weak. I'll probably spend some time this morning getting Art caught up

Planetary comms are the same now for every planet so you can go to any of the planet vendors in the fleet and use them even if you haven't been on that planet yet. Long as your level is high enough they will work.

The XP weekend has boosted my to 24 still on Balmora. Side quests are now gray so I am skipping some. Not sure how beneficial this is to me.

I'd been keeping my lightsabers modded with Art skills. But now, I really can't keep up and my sabers are weak. I'll probably spend some time this morning getting Art caught up

This is why double xp spoils the game for new players.

However, if you plan on levelling through more characters then you can do the side quests then when double xp is not on.

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198

My tendency was to have one "full" playthrough per faction where I do all the quests, but honestly, most of the non-class quests don't hold up well to repetition, even if they are fun once.  So double XP is fantastic for characters where you are just trying to burn through non-class content as quickly as possible to get strong enough for your next class quest.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• Not_Too_BrightNot_Too_Bright Member Posts: 18
    Originally posted by CazNeerg

My tendency was to have one "full" playthrough per faction where I do all the quests, but honestly, most of the non-class quests don't hold up well to repetition, even if they are fun once.  So double XP is fantastic for characters where you are just trying to burn through non-class content as quickly as possible to get strong enough for your next class quest.

Yeah I got bored out of my mind, but then again I have 8 characters at lvl 40 ish or higher. As a subscriber, you should always be getting double exp. At least I did by alternating which char I was playing.

I probably messed up by trying to keep them all in the same lvl range, instead of playing one thru to max lvl, and starting the next.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

I have de-installed and re-installed this game about four times.

It´s kinda nice to take a half year break and return to some updates. I like to accumulate 3-4 updates then re-install.

Next time I´ll check it out will be when housing is added, I guess around 3.0.

If it´s cool I might keep it installed longer term