Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

10 years SWG wish you were still here!

13»

Comments

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by echolynfan
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Originally posted by Karteli

Well if SOE upholds their tradition of nerfing great ideas, the next implemention would be SWG Next, which wouldn't be of any comfort to former players.  Action combat, lots of boom booms, and particle effects .. also available for the PS4. Limited controls, and only enough abilities to fit on a controller.

But hopes for a really good MMORPG successor are all out, since Disney awarded EA exclusive rights to Star Wars for a long time in the future ..  obviously Disney see's something that everyone else doesn't.

In spite of the fact that SWG was a Star Wars IP based game, I think the people who loved that game loved it for the game itself more than the IP. When I played, I always had the sense that it wasn't really Star Wars. It looked and sounded like Star Wars, but I never felt like I was actually in the Star Wars Universe. I still loved the game. Sure the name attracted players to it, but I don't think it, alone, was enough to keep them. A SWG "clone" could succeed without said IP if done right.

I think SWG had a wonderful Star Wars feel to it - certainly better than SWTOR's version. SWG had Tatooine sand storms....worlds had night and day cycles and the ORIGINAL trilogy theme. Darth Vader would should up with his storm troopers...as well as Luke, Leia, Solo and Chewbacca. Having my very own Millenium Falcon to fly around space in or a Tie Fighter? THAT's Star Wars.

But the game didn't capture the oppression of the Empire and plight of the Alliance very well. I always struggled with the idea of the alliance and Empire being on equal footing. 

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Vonatar

I think you, sir, need to spend some time checking this out: https://www.therepopulation.com/

It is on my watch list.

• VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457

But the game didn't capture the oppression of the Empire and plight of the Alliance very well. I always struggled with the idea of the alliance and Empire being on equal footing. 

True. It may have just been the nature of the beast. Meaning, in order to have a game where two factions battled each other, they needed (from a game perspective) to be equal even if (from a lore perspective) they weren't so balanced.

I always thought of us (SWG players) as having access to a giant toybox with all of our favorite Star Wars toys. Some players created very canonical experiences and used their imaginations to achieve what they wanted from a Star Wars game. Others just wanted to have the lore in their virtual hands to for their own enjoyment as they explored the sights from the IP they adored.

Both - and any derivations thereof - are valid playstyles. SOE could have (should have?) enforced more canonical rules from the start. SWG is now nothing more than just a trash compactor full of "Would Haves" and "Should Haves" and "Could Haves". From my perspective, it seems that it's remembered fondly by many who played because it allowed them to have the Star Wars experience THEY wanted. Some experiences took a little more "doing" on their part, but it was all there... waiting in a giant toybox... for them to pick up and experience.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by Burntvet

Anyone who played SWG in the old days and still has the disks, can play SWG currently, in a certain fashion.

So there is no reason to miss SWG (especially not the bastardized, StarWoWs NGE version, which is hopefully dead for all time).

Yes indeed and I am - I would rather play an in-progress version of the pre-cu over the "finished" version of SWTOR any day.

That said, what is there does not have much staying power, the 4 main pillars: PvP, high end PvE, crafting/economy and space are all not finished enough (or have other problems) to get people to stay for any period of time (space is not even in yet, although the SW can craft some stuff). People pop in and have some fun for a couple months and then leave again.

Hurts bug reporting and financial support for the effort a good bit.

• NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815

I recently found some Galaxies screen shots and footage on an old hard drive.  My wife put them in a video.  Great memories from Starsider.

Check it out! 

Remembering Star Wars Galaxies

• NagilumSadowNagilumSadow Member UncommonPosts: 318
    Originally posted by VincerKaden
    Originally posted by Vonatar

In general today's MMO players are not the same as those in 2003/4.

To paraphrase Yoda, That is why MMOs "fail".

There is much to be said for this comment -- very true.

• VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457
    Originally posted by NomadMorlock

I recently found some Galaxies screen shots and footage on an old hard drive.  My wife put them in a video.  Great memories from Starsider.

Check it out! 

Remembering Star Wars Galaxies

Awesome; thanks for sharing. My wife said that YOUR wife is just trying to make us cry! :D

• echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681

Anyone who played SWG in the old days and still has the disks, can play SWG currently, in a certain fashion.

So there is no reason to miss SWG (especially not the bastardized, StarWoWs NGE version, which is hopefully dead for all time).

Yes indeed and I am - I would rather play an in-progress version of the pre-cu over the "finished" version of SWTOR any day.

That said, what is there does not have much staying power, the 4 main pillars: PvP, high end PvE, crafting/economy and space are all not finished enough (or have other problems) to get people to stay for any period of time (space is not even in yet, although the SW can craft some stuff). People pop in and have some fun for a couple months and then leave again.

And yet it's STILL more fun than SWTOR or any other AAA MMO out atm - and there are lots of people running around everywhere I go also having a great time. I stand by my previous comment.

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

And yet it's STILL more fun than SWTOR or any other AAA MMO out atm - and there are lots of people running around everywhere I go also having a great time. I stand by my previous comment.

I don't disagree, but the unfinished-ness all hits it in the longevity.

There is not much reason to play currently, past 2-3 months, max a few toons, and you are looking for late game content that isn't there, isn't working, or isn't managed well.

And that DOES sound an awful lot like TOR....

I don't disagree, but the unfinished-ness all hits it in the longevity.

There is not much reason to play currently, past 2-3 months, max a few toons, and you are looking for late game content that isn't there, isn't working, or isn't managed well.

And that DOES sound an awful lot like TOR....

Based on your comments you're not into crafting - which was/is a HUGE part of SWG and really is a game within the game (it's not ALL about combat ya know!)  and there's enough to keep someone busy for months. It's not perfect by any stretch yet but there's still a lot to do and if you missed the pre-cu era (like I did) it's the only "game" in town :)

TOR is an ok game it's just a bad copy of Wow with their version of dungeons and a gear treadmill. The stories are meh and don't add anything to the actual game IMO other than if you like that sort of thing. It's basically the dumbed down version of a Star Wars MMO that LA wanted SOE to change SWG to once they saw how much $$ Wow was raking in.

EA/Biowhore just spent WAY WAY too much money on the voice acting and the rest of the game was like an afterthought. I mean - what's with buying a crap version of a Hero engine? Out of the millions they spent you would have thought the game engine wouldn't SUCK.

Just the opposite, in fact.

The economy is in a terrible state, forcing crafters to sell below the cost of materials for many things. In turn, many people that were among the biggest crafters before, are the first to realize the problems caused by certain choices made by the programmers. Usually takes a couple months for people to give up.

Similar choices plague other aspects of the game: PvP, GCW, and high end PvE.

What is there is good, but it is clear that all of the parts need to be there and work, for it to "work". Especially on more than a short term basis.

Just the opposite, in fact.

The economy is in a terrible state, forcing crafters to sell below the cost of materials for many things. In turn, many people that were among the biggest crafters before, are the first to realize the problems caused by certain choices made by the programmers. Usually takes a couple months for people to give up.

Similar choices plague other aspects of the game: PvP, GCW, and high end PvE.

What is there is good, but it is clear that all of the parts need to be there and work, for it to "work". Especially on more than a short term basis.

I think we both can agree that the game is incomplete and in the development phase. However - I don't agree with you on the economy...there are tons of crafters and items on the auction aren't cheap. I'm just getting started and only have one vendor set up and have sold a bunch of items already...much to my surprise.

I was Grandpappy on Shadowfire and known as one of the best "Beastmaster" crafters (NGE's version of Bio-Engineer) and made some of the 1st pets on my server. I've always mined my own resources so the cost factor doesn't affect me and allowed me to be competitively priced.

Also - this server will wiped at some point so everything we're doing will be NGE'd in the "far future" (their words) and the permanent server will be in place once the game has been completed. I'm just happy to back in SWG - no matter how much is complete...I missed the game and I missed the social aspect SWG fostered.

I will be watching The Repopulation and have signed up for Beta...should be interesting to see what they come up with.