Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] WildStar: To Pre-Order or Not?

Comments

• BMBenderBMBender Member UncommonPosts: 827
    After this year? Or last I guess; Colonial Marienes, X Rebirth, Rome2, Helms Deep.  If your pre-ordering off of PR spin, marketing commercials and general hype...well that's your risk to take certainly.  If your basing the decision off personal experience via beta or demo ect ect I can relate more to pre-ordering.

• amber-ramber-r Member Posts: 323
    I hate NCSoft so it's a uphill struggle for me to ever play a game they are in charge off, they are far too uncaring with their titles that drop below a certain level of profitability for me.
  • KorthagKorthag Member UncommonPosts: 44
    No, not for ESO and  not for Wildstar
  • Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    Originally posted by remyburke
    Just do yourself a favor and get into one of their beta weekends before you pre-order.

No - wait several weeks until after it's been released before you buy. 

All the best stuff is usually in the first few levels to get positive reviews, and the rest can sometimes be rubbish.

• WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699

Just re-sub to WOW... You won't know the difference... It doesn't have anything that WoW couldn't easily patch in at some point or add as part of the expansion... yes even the "red is bad, green is good" combat nonsense...

Hell Wow can even start selling space man suits in the cash shop...

It is what will eventually kill Wildstar anyhow... People will hit endgame... be bored and thats right about the time that WoW will probably be working on it's next expansion that takes to to another planet called Lexus (nexus was taken) because the gnomes figured out how to build rocket ships... This new planet will exclusivly feature Action combat and 40 man raids... RIP Wildstar.

You heard it here first... Mark the calendar.

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

• DekahnDekahn Member UncommonPosts: 90
    Originally posted by Wighty

It is what will eventually kill Wildstar anyhow... People will hit endgame... be bored and thats right about the time that WoW will probably be working on it's next expansion that takes to to another planet called Lexus (nexus was taken) because the gnomes figured out how to build rocket ships... This new planet will exclusivly feature Action combat and 40 man raids... RIP Wildstar.

And I'm the Pope. Yes I will be preordering at some point before launch, longevity of the game idk, but It will keep my attention for awhile I suppose.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Not ordering until I see how end game progression scales at cap. I want to know how big the power difference is at endgame, and what options there are other than raiding all the time, and how viable those options are as opposed to raiding.  This is not about BiS gear, but it is about maintaining relevance in spite of it. 

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Wighty

Just re-sub to WOW... You won't know the difference... It doesn't have anything that WoW couldn't easily patch in at some point or add as part of the expansion... yes even the "red is bad, green is good" combat nonsense...

Hell Wow can even start selling space man suits in the cash shop...

You heard it here first... Mark the calendar.

Actually, space travel has already been done in WoW.  With the whole Draenei crash landing thing.

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209

I was super fan girl for this (even built a site for it) but after trying it, nah. The mmo feeling isn't ever going to come back and I've accepted that. Have fun with your costumes, changeable stats on gear, housing instances, kill 100% rat quests, and typical mmo pretend  it requires skill pvp. Action combat is fun, it's just nowhere near as polished as a moba or fps so it feels tacked on and gimmicky. 

Wtb mmoRPG, not mmofpsmobafarmvilledecoratimgappfashionshow.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

@Utinni

I agree with you.

I'd like to know more about your views on "...pretend it requires skill pvp." - a lot of PvPers really think that it's all about skill - I think your opinion is very interesting.    :)

• BrakhBrakh Member UncommonPosts: 29
    No thank you. Tried beta, didn't notice any innovation. For me its just another standard theme park. Level grind, gear grind, repeatable end game content. But I hope it will bring some profit for the company. I will be oberving this project anyway. I'm very curious how the marketing campaign promoting such unknown game universe will be driven and its results.
  • IGaveUpIGaveUp Member Posts: 273

Lost me at theme, character art, and combat style.

Not of interest for me.

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142

Going to do what I always do, try it out during beta before release and order it if I find myself enjoying the game. 

If I don't find myself hyped about the game after testing it I will do what I did with ESO, FF14, Neverwinter, GW2, save my money and time to use it for buying and playing singleplayer games with higher quality.

Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    I went from excited prior to trying the game, to firmly on the fence.  If they had bothered to offer a physical CE that might have pushed me into pre-ordering and giving it the chance of that initial month, but with no limited edition, there is no hurry, I can wait until the day before it launches and still get pre-order bonuses if I decide to play.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• handlewithcarehandlewithcare Member Posts: 322
    I still got my old ps3 and so happy that I will be able to play destiny on it and EQN will be better than wild star or ill buy another final fantasy game.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by Nitrosnwbrdr
    Originally posted by handlewithcare

no pre-order for me ESO will keep me busy far a while.

destiny and EQN will also be better games so currently you are last on my list.

you got wow devs.learn and have dungeons the whole game through then you will get my money.

Kind of hard to say EQN is going to better... we haven't seen any actual game details on it. Also Destiny is a completely different genre and last I checked wasn't coming to PC.

Then you have not looked to hard. EQN will be a very different game. I think EQN maybe more my style but its a long wait till then so I may play Wildstar. I have been in beta for a very long time and it is quality but in no way is the UI team friendly. Same with the quest system. Get ready to solo most of the way to the top level. Only thing that gona save this is the player made add ons.

• pohlpohl Member UncommonPosts: 4
    Originally posted by FC360
    Haven't seen any actual game details? Have you not seen the many streams of EQN?

Those streams are for EQN Landmark not Next. So yeah no solid gameplay information about EverQuest Next is known aside from being a sandbox.

• SomeHumanSomeHuman Member UncommonPosts: 560

No to pre-order for me.  I've watched this game since it was just a site back in 2011-12??  I've slowly become less and less interested in it.  After watching some players play it on Twitch, I'm even less interested.

I'll wait for a beta weekend key or free weekend at some point to make a final judgement.  I'm kind of doing the same with E.S.O. to see if it will grow on me.  With how easy it is to get into a beta these days, I'm surprised pre-ordering is still a thing.  For those who want to blast through content and be first to "x" or YouTubers and Twitchers, who want to keep current gaming feeds, I guess there is some appeal.

Gaming since 1985; Online gaming since 1995; No End in Sight! My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8POVoJ8fdOseuJ4U1ZX-oA

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

This is the 1st AAA title I've skipped  going back 10+ years. I beta tested this game for 6weeks + and it is is a well done game that appears on the surface to be fun as all hell. After  a couple of runs though it becomes dull beyond measure.

Folks drag out the 'down with WoW clones' in almost every forum and I rarely pay heed. This is however a WoW clone. It was MADE with WoW in mind. There are still millions of players in WoW and WS is trying to scrape off a million or two players by giving them something 'new' and yet 'known'.

Not s for me. I'm surprised to be honest but not for me. ESO will keep me happy for a while and hopefully a long while but even if not, WS won't be on my shelf even if it goes F2P (and while I don't normally predict, I don't see how this one can avoid it).

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114
    Originally posted by Mors.Magne
    Never, never, never pre-order a game - unless it's a Kickstarter where far more information has to be provided. Remember SWTOR?

Yes, I do.  HOWEVER....that was based well over 50% on expectations based on existing IP's in both the Star Wars universe and The Old Republic universe; existing games and ideas that were great helped keep hopes high. 

Wildstar is a new IP thrown at the wolves in a genre packed with other games that are either sequels to existing (expansions go there too) or based on an IP from a single player game/movie universe.     Having tried new IP through experience, I've found that they really pushed the personality throughout the game.    It's got a mashed up ideal of Firefall, Space Dandy, Pixar, and so on. 

Ignoring the eye/ear candy from the game, let's look at what we have had:  Since early January every aspect of the game's character creation to level 15 could be -and was- streamed, screen capped, and written about.    As of weeks ago, that raised so that everything up to level 29 was exposed as well.   And now, as of yesterday, everything in the game is Free Press to be known to the world.

Unlike other games that are coming out sooner (TESO), Carbine is proud of their game and wanted to show it's content.  They've shown far more of their game prior to TESO's NDA drop than TESO showed of it's own game, let alone prior to it's own NDA drop.   That's saying something.

And I've seen the level 50 content, the game's "Elder Game", and it's got meat unlike other games that didn't have it.    It's not just the level 50 content, but the rest of the game as well.   There's not going to be a repeat of Age of Conan's post-Tortage Island; there won't be a repeat of SW:TOR's lackluster design;  Rift's small world is a speck compared to this game's expansive zones.

Bottom line:  *Bleep* yes, cupcake!  I'm pre-ordering.

Sad about no CE, but then again I'll just get the digital and leave it on my HDD.

• bigbudzbigbudz Member Posts: 52

No, I will not. I was hyped for the game from the vid. After playing in the CB, it was a quick uninstall. Fun factor of zilch for me. I think it reminded me too much of GW2. Just because I didn't like it doesn't mean I want it to fail. I hope that other people find enjoyment in the game and that it succeeds.

Current PC Build

http://pcpartpicker.com/b/p8RBD3

Present: Current offerings are low quality or soloable

Past:AoC, DCUO, FFXI,FFXIV 1.0 and ARR,WoW,Fallen Earth, Tabula Rasa, TSW, SWTOR, Rift, Aion, WAR, Darkfall, STO, CoH/CoV, GW2, Diaspora, EQ2, DDO, and a bunch of forgettable ftp games

• AvulAvul Member Posts: 196
    Originally posted by Siphaed

Unlike other games that are coming out sooner (TESO), Carbine is proud of their game and wanted to show it's content.  They've shown far more of their game prior to TESO's NDA drop than TESO showed of it's own game, let alone prior to it's own NDA drop.   That's saying something.

And I've seen the level 50 content, the game's "Elder Game", and it's got meat unlike other games that didn't have it.    It's not just the level 50 content, but the rest of the game as well.   There's not going to be a repeat of Age of Conan's post-Tortage Island; there won't be a repeat of SW:TOR's lackluster design;  Rift's small world is a speck compared to this game's expansive zones.

Dropping the NDA and shutting down the closed beta for 4 consecutive weekends where only people get in who pre-ordered or are long enough in the beta to reach lvl 32 (which aren't that many players compared to other  MMOs - the invites were scarce).. well.. I guess that shows how confident they are with its current status.

Could I ask you something? Did you play WildStar in beta? I think I know the answer.

Elite: Dangerous - Space Exploration & Trading.

• GrunimGrunim Member UncommonPosts: 172
    I'm not pre-ordering this game.  They never sent me a beta invite and I didn't get a chance to put it through its paces.   I did pre-order ESO and I suspect I'm more the target audience for ESO than I am for WS.
  • DEAD.lineDEAD.line Member Posts: 424
    Originally posted by zelaex
    Sad but true: I had more fun in SWTOR then in the last months of WildStar beta. It's too bland and generic for my taste. I'll give it a pass. Die hard fans of WoW will probably have a fun time with it.

I'm not a diehard WOW fan, but i'm interest in WS. Incredible, i know.

However, i'm nowhere near excited enough to play the game the first few months so that i can see how it all comes together, much less pre-order. Too many things i'm uncertain off, and a few others i don't like. 

I need to see how Carbine takes care of their game.

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915
    I'm not sure. I still want my very own rocket pancake house.