Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoD no flying @ launch

WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637
Warlords of Draenor Developer Interviews
There were a few developer interviews at the recent press events, so today we are taking a look at interviews with Alex Afrasiabi

Misc
  • You won't be allowed to fly in Draenor at release, and the devs want to see how players react to this.
  • Afrasiabi also mentions that he thinks it is possible that players could love a world with no flying.

F and off! I didn't collect my flying mounts for them to have their wings clipped.  There are many other issues which may occur one is perhaps inflated AH prices, especially if node hackers remain.

Comments

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by Wicoa
    Warlords of Draenor Developer Interviews
    There were a few developer interviews at the recent press events, so today we are taking a look at interviews with Alex Afrasiabi

Misc
    • You won't be allowed to fly in Draenor at release, and the devs want to see how players react to this.
    • Afrasiabi also mentions that he thinks it is possible that players could love a world with no flying.

F and off! I didn't collect my flying mounts for them to have their wings clipped.  There are many other issues which may occur one is perhaps inflated AH prices, especially if node hackers remain.

They should never have let flying mounts into Azeroth, only in BC or some other restricted area.

With all the meeting portals, instance lobbies, flying routes, flying and other insta travels the immersion in this game is totally gone.

Especially as WPVP is concerned.....no risk anywhere.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

And this is why people asking for vanilla WoW never will be given the time of day...

Personally i could not careless, i can stealth my arse around if i want to be left alone.

This have been a good conversation

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637
    Originally posted by tawess

And this is why people asking for vanilla WoW never will be given the time of day...

Personally i could not careless, i can stealth my arse around if i want to be left alone.

Exactly.

I wouldnt mind if there was never flying.  Since we have all those flying mounts now though and I have gone to some lengths to collect some for them not to allow flying initially >.<.

I did hear they want flying to be special through some sort of quest time sink.  What does that mean for alts?

I'm not currently playing any mmorpg but if I did it is unlikely I'd return for WOD.  Price hike, + no new class, no new race and no new special abilites e.g mage type tank like a warlock in demonform.

Im not going to bother for a while it seems.

• AbimorAbimor Member RarePosts: 874
    So does it make me a sinner if I say I enjoy being able to fly I just got the two seat goblin rocket its great to be able to fly my wife and I around.
    Originally posted by Abimor
    So does it make me a sinner if I say I enjoy being able to fly I just got the two seat goblin rocket its great to be able to fly my wife and I around.

No not at all.

My point is that flying is currently in game, so why take it away?  I found it fun flying high above maps and looking down at what the devs have created.

I just feel like they are charging more for this expansion than before, with no new class, no new race, no new class specs i.e warlock demon form tanking! And they are taking away flying for the forseeable future.  Why on earth would I pay for that.

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186
    Originally posted by Wicoa
    Originally posted by Abimor

No not at all.

My point is that flying is currently in game, so why take it away?  I found it fun flying high above maps and looking down at what the devs have created.

I just feel like they are charging more for this expansion than before, with no new class, no new race, no new class specs i.e warlock demon form tanking! And they are taking away flying for the forseeable future.  Why on earth would I pay for that.

Oh you will pay for it.

That's why WoW is still popular.

• SwampDragonsSwampDragons Member UncommonPosts: 352

Not sure if I should take the time to answer this as I have a felling you only wanna complain :D

But they stated that they removed Flying in the new area from the start as it was hard to make a controlled progression when you could just fly over everything.

They also said that they would add the flying again to the area when you had completed it.

Originally posted by SwampDragons

Not sure if I should take the time to answer this as I have a felling you only wanna complain :D

But they stated that they removed Flying in the new area from the start as it was hard to make a controlled progression when you could just fly over everything.

They also said that they would add the flying again to the area when you had completed it.

I don't want to seem like a whiner, just a puzzled on-looker.  If it helps the direction of the post my time currently is spent playing diablo 3 I do not currently play any mmorpg.  Although I am still interested in the genre hence me dropping by here.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

There never is any flying in the new expansions on release!

This non-story has been released as a substitute for content.

Pre-order this game at your peril.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Originally posted by Mors.Magne

There never is any flying in the new expansions on release!

This non-story has been released as a substitute for content.

Pre-order this game at your peril.

Well, Cataclysm had flying immediately, but the entire expansion was spread all over creation and the maps were designed with pure flying in mind.

More on-topic: I never mind not being able to flying during the leveling process in WoW. Cataclysm felt a little cheap with all of the flying involved. Any questing location that had any form of a patrol was a joke due to flying. Non-flying also gives certain abilities like levitate and slow fall more meaning when you're stuck on the ground.

I do wish we could use all of our flying mounts as ground mounts though.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223
    Originally posted by Kaneth

Well, Cataclysm had flying immediately, but the entire expansion was spread all over creation and the maps were designed with pure flying in mind.

More on-topic: I never mind not being able to flying during the leveling process in WoW. Cataclysm felt a little cheap with all of the flying involved. Any questing location that had any form of a patrol was a joke due to flying. Non-flying also gives certain abilities like levitate and slow fall more meaning when you're stuck on the ground.

I do wish we could use all of our flying mounts as ground mounts though.

I am alright with no flying but they would have to completely redo some areas to make them more ground mount friendly. They should reimburse players too for purchasing the higher levels of riding skill and the flight licences. I mean this only in the event Blizzard decided to completely remove it from the game, which I doubt that they will do.

I am totally in line with them not allowing flying right away in the expac. You should not be able to circumvent content.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• I have zero problems with no flying in Draenor. Flying makes the world seem smaller than it is (and not flying makes it seem bigger), so the introduction of flying was always a mixed affair to me.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Kaneth

(in Cata) Any questing location that had any form of a patrol was a joke due to flying.

Non-flying also gives certain abilities like levitate and slow fall more meaning when you're stuck on the ground.

good commentary

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Personally I feel flying parts most often RUIN the experience of the world. They were a terrible idea to put into the game and just diluted the feeling of the game after they were put in place.

That being said, taking it away isn't exactly a good option as well. Its hard to have something then have it taken away. I feel the game would be vastly better without flying mounts but since they existed its not really that plausible to just let them be taken away and dismissed either.