Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR Experience

Comments

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by wildscore12
    Originally posted by asmkm22
    It's pretty fun for the first 20 or 30 levels.  After that, it gets really old and loses the charm.  Still worth one playthrough for the story though.  Just don't expect it to offer a traditional MMO long-term endgame, where the best stuff is at max level.

Yeah I would have to disagree with you here.  There is long-term endgame THAT INTERESTS ME.  When was the last time you played?  And what level did you get to? 

There are about 8 Ops to do at max level with three different challenge modes (normal, hard and nightmare). 

Then you have all the Flashpoints.

Then there are the daily areas. 

Then you have the events like Bounty Hunter and Rakgoul

Then you have the companions HK and Treek that you can go after

World Bosses

PVP

Ect .

Ect.

I edited your post too

I agree with asmkm22 although I play through another character. None of those things you mention interest me (except maybe Treek but hopefully that will come afer levelling up many characters) in  a MMO without extra things like going out to hunt creatures for bone and hide and tame them or harvest DNA and create pets and then level them up, manage cities or player housing (although this is coming), fishing, create content for other players (like chronicles in SWG, architect in CoH, Foundry in STO, Dungeon Maker in EQ2 etc), be a decent crafter etc

SWTOR is mainly good like Mass effect and Dragon Age are good, but there is no long term comittment, most people end up giving up on the game after a while, because the content is limited by its design, games like SWG were unlimited as it had more than the devs input, but other players input too adding infinite content. Each server was unique too, as no 2 servers were the same - eg resource quality varied, player cities were not in the same locations etc I played SWG virtually from start, and missed out a month by the time game imported to the UK from the US, and played to the very last day. Not many will be saying that about SWTOR.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    I've been wanting to play something with Dual Pistols for a while now. I have a P/P Thief in GW2, and I love it, but it's not the strongest play style.

Then roll a Smuggler and choose gunslinger or roll Bounty hunter and choose Mercenary. Both have a good storyline but if you want that cool wild west feel then choose gunslinger. Far as your question in the OP of "Is it any good?" only you can answer that question because everyone has different tastes. It's FTP so download it and give it a shot. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by superniceguy
    It's pretty fun for the first 20 or 30 levels.  After that, it gets really old and loses the charm.  Still worth one playthrough for the story though.  Just don't expect it to offer a traditional MMO long-term endgame, where the best stuff is at max level.

Yeah I would have to disagree with you here.  There is long-term endgame THAT INTERESTS ME.  When was the last time you played?  And what level did you get to? 

There are about 8 Ops to do at max level with three different challenge modes (normal, hard and nightmare). 

World Bosses

PVP

Ect .

Ect.

I edited your post too

I agree with asmkm22 although I play through another character. None of those things you mention interest me (except maybe Treek but hopefully that will come afer levelling up many characters) in  a MMO without extra things like going out to hunt creatures for bone and hide and tame them or harvest DNA and create pets and then level them up, manage cities or player housing (although this is coming), fishing, create content for other players (like chronicles in SWG, architect in CoH, Foundry in STO, Dungeon Maker in EQ2 etc), be a decent crafter etc are things I looks for in an endgame MMO

SWTOR is mainly good like Mass effect and Dragon Age are good in my opinion, but there is no long term commitment in my opinion , some people end up giving up on the game after a while, because the content is limited by its design, games like SWG were unlimited as it had more than the devs input, but other players input too adding infinite content that got shut down. Each server was unique too, as no 2 servers were the same - eg resource quality varied, player cities were not in the same locations etc I played SWG virtually from start, and missed out a month by the time game imported to the UK from the US, and played to the very last day. I won't be saying the same about SWTOR because it was never meant for players like me.

I edited your post also. 

I edited his post as well. Last sentence. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    I think we can agree that opinions are 1st person implied unless specifically stated otherwise. I don't think all this post editing is necessary. In my post where I said I wanted to find out for myself, the context indicates that the opinion is mine and mine alone. I thought I was clear that I wasn't speaking for anyone else. So let's please cut the nonsense of making chains of ridiculously long quoted posts.
    So, I've officially subbed for one month. As it is, I do like the story so far.........Although watching every character repeat the same hand gestures over and over and over is giving me a little side chuckle.
  • Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

Congratulations, I hope you will have a lot of fun :)... but you really got to play Imperial Agent! It should be mandatory LOL.

Also, on a special note... image Lucky you!!!!!!!! All Subscribers as of March 17, 2014, receive a new Lucky-77 Swoop *!

Perfect for smuggler!!!!! All these gold coins to grab,,,

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

Yeah I would have to disagree with you here.  There is long-term endgame.  When was the last time you played?  And what level did you get to? 

World Bosses

PVP

Ect .

Ect.

lol, and no players to do them with.

You make me like charity

Yeah I would have to disagree with you here.  There is long-term endgame.  When was the last time you played?  And what level did you get to? 

World Bosses

PVP

Ect .

Ect.

On my server there are PUG OPS run every day. In case you don't have a good guild.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

World Bosses

PVP

Ect .

Ect.

On my server there are PUG OPS run every day. In case you don't have a good guild.

I'm on Begeren Colony and at least as of a few months ago, it seemed like Flashpoints were non-existent.  OPS would come up in chat once in a while, but they never panned out.

On a side note, I think it's hilarious that the spaceship on the initial loading screen appears to have two lightsabers attached to its wings...

You make me like charity

On a side note, I think it's hilarious that the spaceship on the initial loading screen appears to have two lightsabers attached to its wings...

You can never have enough lightsabers image

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198

I'm going to preface my comments by saying TOR is my favorite currently released MMORPG, by such a wide margin that it isn't even a contest.

That said, as a MMO I would say it is simply fine.  Not fantastic, but not horrible either, it's just kind of there.  It's as an RPG that happens to include online components that it reaches it's full potential.  The heart and soul of the experience really is the story, so for the type of person who is tempted to *ever* hit the spacebar on a first playthrough, it's really the wrong game to be playing.  

To a degree which stories are "best" is a matter of taste, but there really is such a thing as writing quality too, and I would say that as far as comparing the non-class content between the Empire and the Republic, the Republic content has a tendency to feel traditionally Star Wars to the point of often crossing the border into being cliched.  The Imperial content, generally speaking, feels both fresher and better written, but you have to be a player who is capable of enjoying playing as a hero for the "bad" guys.

As far as the classes go, both the quality and the consistency of the stories varies drastically from class to class.  I would say that the strongest writing, by far, goes to the Imperial Agent.  The most consistent and well-tied together narrative probably goes to the Smuggler.  On the Imperial side, Bounty Hunter probably finishes the weakest after a strong first Chapter, while on the Republic side playing the Jedi Knight is essentially the exact same experience you probably would have gotten from a KotOR 3.

So I would say that, if you really want to see the Republic side first (or only) you made a very good choice picking Smuggler, because you are going to be seeing the best possible version of the Republic experience.  (Also the most consistent one with the post 50 content, since the Smuggler class writer was in charge of the Republic version of Makeb.)

Originally posted by lizardbones

I don't think the game is supposed to be like the original movies, especially before all the revisions.  It's supposed to be more like the last three movies. 

I don't think that is remotely fair.  TOR isn't anything like those atrocities. BioWare's version of Star Wars really shouldn't be compared to any of what Lucas made, good or bad, other than the fact that there are lightsabers there really isn't a ton of similarity.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by CazNeerg

As far as the classes go, both the quality and the consistency of the stories varies drastically from class to class.  I would say that the strongest writing, by far, goes to the Imperial Agent.  The most consistent and well-tied together narrative probably goes to the Smuggler.  On the Imperial side, Bounty Hunter probably finishes the weakest after a strong first Chapter, while on the Republic side playing the Jedi Knight is essentially the exact same experience you probably would have gotten from a KotOR 3.

The Imperial Agent's pretty much the undefeated champion of the Class stories, I have yet to see a poll where it doesn't win with a vast majority of the votes.

It's one heck of a ride. Probably because it offers a very different perspective into the Empire's inner workings, and because of the superb writing that really lets you feel like you are playing a spy/assassin.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

Seriously thinking of a change in plans. This sounds silly, but I am considering re-rolling. Why? I can't stand the site of the Smuggler's ship. LOL. I never liked the asymmetry of the Millenium Falcon and I don't like this version much either. In fact,  I don't really like any of the The Republic's ships. But I do like the looks of the Sith ships I also like the Agent's ship too.

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198

Seriously thinking of a change in plans. This sounds silly, but I am considering re-rolling. Why? I can't stand the site of the Smuggler's ship. LOL. I never liked the asymmetry of the Millenium Falcon and I don't like this version much either. In fact,  I don't really like any of the The Republic's ships. But I do like the looks of the Sith ships I also like the Agent's ship too.

The cleanest lines will be the Agent ship, probably followed by the Sith one.  Definitely don't go Bounty Hunter.  You can probably find youtube videos of all of them to get a feel, rather than having to get each class high enough for a ship just to find the one you like.

You really don't spend *that* much time in the ship though.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

World Bosses

PVP

Ect .

Ect.

I edited your post too

I agree with asmkm22 although I play through another character. None of those things you mention interest me (except maybe Treek but hopefully that will come afer levelling up many characters) in  a MMO without extra things like going out to hunt creatures for bone and hide and tame them or harvest DNA and create pets and then level them up, manage cities or player housing (although this is coming), fishing, create content for other players (like chronicles in SWG, architect in CoH, Foundry in STO, Dungeon Maker in EQ2 etc), be a decent crafter etc are things I looks for in an endgame MMO and what most people look for in an endgame MMO otherwise 2 million people would have stayed with game, and more came too.

SWTOR is mainly good like Mass effect and Dragon Age are good in my opinion, but there is no long term commitment in my opinion , most people end up giving up on the game after a while, because the content is limited by its design, games like SWG were unlimited as it had more than the devs input, but other players input too adding infinite content that got shut down. Each server was unique too, as no 2 servers were the same - eg resource quality varied, player cities were not in the same locations etc I played SWG virtually from start, and missed out a month by the time game imported to the UK from the US, and played to the very last day. Not many will be saying that about SWTOR.

I edited your post also. 

I re-edited it back

2 million people buy the game, and 500K people left by the time it hit F2P = MOST people. 1.5 million is more than 500K by about 3x more last I checked

Originally posted by Sevenstar61

Congratulations, I hope you will have a lot of fun :)... but you really got to play Imperial Agent! It should be mandatory LOL.

Also, on a special note... image Lucky you!!!!!!!! All Subscribers as of March 17, 2014, receive a new Lucky-77 Swoop *!

Perfect for smuggler!!!!! All these gold coins to grab,,,

This and double xp will make it worth subbing for one month, then TESO

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

That's where I lost interest in this game after a while, when at end level you run into a brick wall, either do the daily grind to gear up or start a alt.

SWTOR is a themepark mmo, if it was a real sandbox with those instances as extra features I would definately still play it.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

World Bosses

PVP

Ect .

Ect.

I edited your post too

I agree with asmkm22 although I play through another character. None of those things you mention interest me (except maybe Treek but hopefully that will come afer levelling up many characters) in  a MMO without extra things like going out to hunt creatures for bone and hide and tame them or harvest DNA and create pets and then level them up, manage cities or player housing (although this is coming), fishing, create content for other players (like chronicles in SWG, architect in CoH, Foundry in STO, Dungeon Maker in EQ2 etc), be a decent crafter etc are things I looks for in an endgame MMO and what most people look for in an endgame MMO otherwise 2 million people would have stayed with game, and more came too.

SWTOR is mainly good like Mass effect and Dragon Age are good in my opinion, but there is no long term commitment in my opinion , most people end up giving up on the game after a while, because the content is limited by its design, games like SWG were unlimited as it had more than the devs input, but other players input too adding infinite content that got shut down. Each server was unique too, as no 2 servers were the same - eg resource quality varied, player cities were not in the same locations etc I played SWG virtually from start, and missed out a month by the time game imported to the UK from the US, and played to the very last day. Not many will be saying that about SWTOR.

I edited your post also. 

I re-edited it back

2 million people buy the game, and 500K people left by the time it hit F2P = MOST people. 1.5 million is more than 500K by about 3x more last I checked

You do know we were asked not to do that by the op right?  You do know at last count 1.7 million were f2p and around 500k so by your definition MOST PEOPLE came back because of the improvements they made and the content they released.  Feel free to grab some popcorn get comfy and go read the patch notes for the last two years there is a lot to read .  You do know Swtor is probably the 3rd most popular western mmo right?  

Anyways based on your sig it's probably pointless even having a conversation with you about Swtor since you seem like a bitter swg vet, you come across like the others as stuck in 2012 well let me welcome you to 2014.

People are still leaving, so not much has changed. This person was pro SWTOR like you were, disputing my comments, but the ironic thing is he is not playing any more, but I am.

Originally posted by Muke

That's where I lost interest in this game after a while, when at end level you run into a brick wall, either do the daily grind to gear up or start a alt.

SWTOR is a themepark mmo, if it was a real sandbox with those instances as extra features I would definately still play it.

Yeah sandbox fans this game is not for them.  Themepark this is one of the better ones out.  

LOTRO is a theme park, and it has fishing, housing, mounts, decent crafting, hunt down creatures for resources - pretty much everything that I listed in my previous post.

SWTOR is not even a themepark - It is like Mass Effect with multiplayer - a game with a story that you play through

Yeah sandbox fans this game is not for them.  Themepark this is one of the better ones out.  

LOTRO is a theme park, and it has fishing, housing, mounts, decent crafting, hunt down creatures for resources - pretty much everything that I listed in my previous post.

SWTOR is not even a themepark - It is like Mass Effect with multiplayer - a game with a story that you play through

I haven't played Mass Effect. But If I get the reference, I am finding this to be true. So far, I am enjoying the story.  Although, I thought I wanted to play a dual pistol Smuggler, I am finding the Sith Warrior to be more enjoyable.

But yeah, overall, It feels like it want's to be an MMORPG, but the game cannot get out of it's own way to be one. Still, it doesn't necessarily have to be one either. And that doesn't mean I dislike the game or that it's not worth playing....or even subbing. So far it has been. (10 levels worth anyway)

• ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340

My experience with the game.

I subbed to the game first day so I didn’t have to deal with limitations. Reason I put this here by the way is to clear it up that if you want to experience a game with it’s full potential pay for it up front. You can unsub later once you get to a point where the in game currency can buy your sub.

The first month I play a Gunslinger exclusively. Didn’t make any alts. Wanted to see how well a char went without crafting or being distracted by other skill lines. Got to level 33 before deleting the character.

Second and third month I made 6 chars and ran through the story on each one using the crafted gear. Third month I had all 6 chars to mid 20 level but here is where I stopped and unsubed went back to EQ2.

Reason:

Char progression is great through the storyline but there isn’t much else to do.
    Most group content in each zone was not completed due to lack of others wanting to do it.
    The crafting is just down right dull since there is little interaction.

The number one reason though.

Way way to much vulgar language and rudeness from other players. A real turn off when you’re new to the game and ask questions. Much worse than any mmo I have played to date. I had over 100 screenshots of the fk word being used. The game masters do not seem to ban people for this which makes it imho AO rated game. In other games reported abusive language like this is banable and enforced.

What would make it better.

More interaction with crafting process.
    Housing (I guess this is now done)
    More side quests that take alternate routes through the story.
    Enforced EULA rules.

ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

I re-rolled too, but my second attempt at SWTOR was worse than the first attempt.

These are bad times for gamers - all publishing houses don't want to risk making a genuinely new game.

I'm waiting for the Kickstarter games Elite: Dangerous and Star Citizen.

I haven't played Mass Effect. But If I get the reference, I am finding this to be true. So far, I am enjoying the story.  Although, I thought I wanted to play a dual pistol Smuggler, I am finding the Sith Warrior to be more enjoyable.

But yeah, overall, It feels like it want's to be an MMORPG, but the game cannot get out of it's own way to be one. Still, it doesn't necessarily have to be one either. And that doesn't mean I dislike the game or that it's not worth playing....or even subbing. So far it has been. (10 levels worth anyway)

Yeah no offense but the single player talking point is ridiculous.  Yes it has similarities but in mass effect can you do the following?

Craft items and sell in the GTN? Nope

Trade items with other players ? Nope

Join other players for heroic areas? Nope

join other players for FP? Nope

play with 15 others and run an ops ? Nope

do pvp? Nope

need others to help track down parks for companions ? Nope

group up for world bosses? Nope

group up for datacrons? Nope 

group for daily areas? Nope 

ect ect

so how is this like mass effect ?

I don't think the poster was saying that. If it didn't have any of those things, it wouldn't be an MMO at all. No one is saying it is absolutely a single player game. At least I am not. What I am saying though, is that my primary experience in the game is the story. It's good, but it's for the most part, a single player experience. On top of that primary single player experience, there are activities that involve working with other players. But it still works for me. So far the experience was well worth the 15 bucks.

As a side note: Back at the end of WoW TBC, I decided to level a Paladin. My brother, who I played online with at the time wanted a Warrior. We wanted new toons ready to go into Wrath with. We committed to leveling together. It proved to be very difficult to do. Maintaining our exact progress for 70 levels to coordinate with each other was not easy and not something I'd ever suggest repeating. I threw that in there because I wanted to point out that single player experiences in leveling theme park MMOs is not new.

• dirtyd77dirtyd77 Member UncommonPosts: 383

Well lotro launched fishing way before Moria even.  They have never updated it or the hobby masters you know why?  Because it was a flop nobody cared about it.  Swtor has mounts, good crafting ( item enhancements, stims ect. Ect.). Ever taken down a world boss they drop crafting resources.  Housing is incoming so sorry because it doesn't have fishing it's not a theme park?  

While this post has made me decide to go back and hop in for a month tonight..... I have to say that we will have to agree to disagree with the crafting being good in SWTOR.  Mediocre at best.... not much to it at all..... 

Back to the Prophecy of Five for a few nights/weeks  how ever long it last for me this time.  

At low level, (or any level for that matter) upon completing group quests, am I better off taking commendations or gear?