Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW: The Least Rewarding $15 a Month in the Genre?

2»

Comments

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    Not defending WoW mind you, but since when did we start judge the value of game based on the amount of stuff they give you  for free from their cash shops?  These games  (for whatever reason although I think it is because they were piles of fecal matter to begin with) went F2P and due to this, added cash shops that are much more than mere cosmetics. While I can agree that when you sub to these sub par games you get a lot of bonuses, I don't agree it makes me feel like I get treated like a king at all because they have to give people some kind of reason to sub. I will take a non intrusive cash shop with cosmetic only items and a sub fee over  a sub for a F2P title that "rewards" me with their created dependencies. Using one of your examples, SWTOR nickle and dimes you more than any other F2P title I have ever touched and subbing for a month did not change the atmosphere one bit for me personally because although the restrictions were lifted, it all felt like a gimmick. At least with WoW I played years because it was fun, not because if I didn't pay the sub I would be hit with a feeling that I was missing out on some feature the subbers were getting, or that there was a mountain of restrictions headed my way should I let my sub lapse. 

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• Darknessguy64Darknessguy64 Member Posts: 233
    Originally posted by Geebus80

Meh in wow for me the game was just too basic and simplistic, I could see how some people enjoy it though. Nothing but global cool down timers and basic zerg battles just does not appeal to me.

The thing that made me stop and never even think of coming back was the players though, from elitism to outright hate speech they were the worst of the worst.

Get max level in 2 weeks? want to do end game content, to fing bad cause you dont have the gear so people wont invite you. Want to ask for some help, make some friends? too fing bad cause unless your a hate filled troll or an emo bleeding heart hippie no one wants you.

I would never pay even a cent to be forced to deal with the dregs of humanity ever again.

Sounds like you don't know how to play. No wonder you had a hard time. Zerg battles? Ok...

Maybe try to find a guild or start your own and your experience would be a lot better. But with your piss poor attitude, that's  not guaranteed.

• ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670

The subscription fee is really a subjective thing.  Some people love a game so much they don't mind paying that fee or more.  The issue is, do enough people justify to themselves that the game is "worth" that fee.

Clearly, WoW still being the king of mmo's in terms of revenue and paying subscribers, you are in the minority in that regard.

As for me, I play FFXIV where I've been promised non-gated content every 3-4 months, with ability to get all the bonuses without any fee (new mounts, minions) etc.

So far, the game is delivering.   I don't like games that are a combination of F2P and P2P (like SWTOR/RIFT) it seems to break down the community into groups (citizens vs. peasants).

I think the raid content WoW offers and the sheer amount of content in that game makes it obvious why $15.00 is worth it.  Most other games do not pump out as much content as wow to justify the sub.  Rift may be an exception.  SWTOR is the worst F2P/Fremium model i've ever seen.

Paying for action bars?  Give me a fudging break!

• Geebus80Geebus80 Member Posts: 92
    Originally posted by Darknessguy64
    Originally posted by Geebus80
    snip

Sounds like you don't know how to play. No wonder you had a hard time. Zerg battles? Ok...

Maybe try to find a guild or start your own and your experience would be a lot better. But with your piss poor attitude, that's  not guaranteed.

yes yes let cherry pick and throw insults, you must a member of the hate filled troll sector.

Care to touch on the elitism, the fact that you can zerg from 1 to max inside of a couple of weeks? the only fights that have any semblance to tactics is in raids and then there is that elitism again. Want to join a guild that raid so you can get the gear everyone demands? be prepared to raid 10x without getting anything until you have enough points to loot for something with a 1 in 8 other classes that need it chance to get it.

Yeah real friendly system.

Its only a piss poor attitude to you because you love your game and anyone that doesnt gets trolled right? Its like defending war crimes because you are currently profiting from them, most def seems like a wow player to me.

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459
    Originally posted by Mors.Magne

I totally agree with this. Eve Online is the best example of this that I can think of because your character is automatically skilling up all the time.

I think we'll be revisiting this subject later on this year when Eve Online starts to get serious competition.

I liked EVE as well, had two accounts there for a while but that is a slightly poor example because with WoW at least you can drop in at any point for a month or two to try out the latest expansion or update, pick up your new skills/gear and drop out to come back as you see fit, with EVE, if you aint paying you aint going nowhere, probably one of the worst examples of forcing people to continue to pay even when they are going through their 'lost interest' periods or face the consequences of zero progression.

It's horses for courses at the end of the day and if you play EVE you have to accept that to reach the upper echelons you 'have' to pay their sub for years.

As for this whole $15/month thing, i spent double that on my evening meal last night and i feel i am being more than entertained for my subscription, if i wasn't i wouldn't continue to pay. Blizzard provide a quality product at a fair price with decent support services to boot, so i can't say i have anything to complain about.

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    Originally posted by Alders

Their content cycle is unacceptable for the amount of money they rake in.

I'm convinced the player base either doesn't care or are unaware of how lacking it really is.

Yeah, that's what turned me off to them once they started getting huge.  They just came the game the same and didn't expand it in groundbreaking ways only a developer with 10 million subs could.  Really disappointing. 

I blame the sheep who keep rewarding them.

I do buy their expansions and have fun for about a month and then quit for quite a while.  It's the only way I can stand to use the content they put out.

But it's still better than any other MMO out there in my opinion.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Blizzard has never been that creative to coff up new ideas,they follow SOE's line of business selling xpacs and just new zones creatures.

Blizzard has brought in a few pvp ideas and server wide grouping but for game play not much.

Game design is always going to be a problem because every game just pushes end game content and forgets the rest of the world.So if your done leveling and just grinding loot,you are paying for quite a shallow game,if you can even call that gaming.

Developers are not smart enough to keep players playing all the content,i guess too much time learning all the various programming languages to have a good grasp of game design.

I had a hard time fathoming Wow even for free let alone pay Blizzard anything,so imo it is not worth the cost,however if you enjoy the game 50 cents a day is nothing at all.

None of these other cash shop games offer as much as Wow except for FFXI  not a cash shop game,which has more content than any game on the market.These other f2p games are imo very shallow in their design and content offering the bare minimum of questing,gear and levels.Geesh if that is the only 3 concepts game design involves there should be a lot of producers/CEO lined up to make 100-500k a year for doing nothing.

Still as much as i don't like Wow,i would still rate it in the top 8 or so.So as i said if it is a top 8 game in the market and you enjoy,50 cents is a piss in the bucket and nothing to think about.Where i would be concerned is the MANY players who carry multiple accounts,now that is giving Blizzard too much money for nothing.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

Yeah, that's what turned me off to them once they started getting huge.  They just came the game the same and didn't expand it in groundbreaking ways only a developer with 10 million subs could.  Really disappointing. 

I blame the sheep who keep rewarding them.

I do buy their expansions and have fun for about a month and then quit for quite a while.  It's the only way I can stand to use the content they put out.

But it's still better than any other MMO out there in my opinion.

Just because you don't like it does not mean that people who do are sheep.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.