Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR Experience

Not too long ago, in a thread not too far away, I was in a discussion regarding a debate over whether this game is a success or failure. Most of that thread dealt with speculative financials. At this point, I really don't care about that. What I want to know is "How good is the game?" I never bought it, I didn't play it during it's initial release period. I picked it up briefly right after it went F2P but didn't play for very long. I ended up doing an OS refresh and since I was still actively playing GW2 at the time, SWTOR never really found it's way back on my hard drive.

So, I've challenged myself to find out if this game is worthwhile or if it's truly a failure. I intend to get the answer to the question above. Is SWTOR worth playing? That is all. I intend to play this game fairly and unbiased, but I will use a perspective based on what other games offer.

At this point, the game is back on my hard drive and is finishing the update. Iv'e created a Smuggler on Jedi Covenant named Geeze.

As of now, I have little to say on the game since my experience is next to nothing at this point but, I'll play this through and from time to time, I'll report back on what I think is both good and bad about this game for anyone interested.

Comments

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741
    Personally, I like the game very much. I would recommend resisting the urge to spacebar through the interactions, as they really to add the charm to SWTOR. Take your time and enjoy the story for every quest. It makes it a much more enriched experience. Rushing to endgame in SWTOR is why people tend to dislike the game.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    It's pretty fun for the first 20 or 30 levels.  After that, it gets really old and loses the charm.  Still worth one playthrough for the story though.  Just don't expect it to offer a traditional MMO long-term endgame, where the best stuff is at max level.

You make me like charity

• dirtyd77dirtyd77 Member UncommonPosts: 383

As a fan of all things Star Wars I played the game from Beta up until around October of last year.  I had fun with my time in the game. I have nothing bad to say about the game itself.

My beef and what ultimately caused me to leave the game are my personal beliefs and feelings towards how the sub value was consistently diminished. 

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by dirtyd77

As a fan of all things Star Wars I played the game from Beta up until around October of last year.  I had fun with my time in the game. I have nothing bad to say about the game itself.

My beef and what ultimately caused me to leave the game are my personal beliefs and feelings towards how the sub value was consistently diminished. 

At my age, I grew up with Star Wars. Back then there was no Episode I, II, II, IV, V or VI. There was only Star Wars. and the only thing "A New Hope" meant was that when mom and dad drove me to the theater, I hoped I could get seats this time.

I've played AO, SWG, CoH among others. I've always preferred Sci Fi over Fantasy. As much as I dislike FunCom as a publisher, I have to admit, I still check the Anarchy Forums weekly to see if there are any updates on their "new" engine. (An old Orgmate is in the Beta test group and I have been in touch with him from time to time)

So there is a part of me that does want to like this game. I think I can put aside all the opinions I've heard for the past 2 years and take a good look for myself.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

At my age, I grew up with Star Wars. Back then there was no Episode I, II, II, IV, V or VI. There was only Star Wars. and the only thing "A New Hope" meant was that when mom and dad drove me to the theater, I hoped I could get seats this time.

I've played AO, SWG, CoH among others. I've always preferred Sci Fi over Fantasy. As much as I dislike FunCom as a publisher, I have to admit, I still check the Anarchy Forums weekly to see if there are any updates on their "new" engine. (An old Orgmate is in the Beta test group and I have been in touch with him from time to time)

So there is a part of me that does want to like this game. I think I can put aside all the opinions I've heard for the past 2 years and take a good look for myself.

I saw Star Wars twenty three times in the theater.  It would have been more but my grandmother refused to take me back to the theater that summer.  I don't really blame her.

I don't think the game is supposed to be like the original movies, especially before all the revisions.  It's supposed to be more like the last three movies.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Originally posted by lizardbones

I saw Star Wars twenty three times in the theater.  It would have been more but my grandmother refused to take me back to the theater that summer.  I don't really blame her.

I don't think the game is supposed to be like the original movies, especially before all the revisions.  It's supposed to be more like the last three movies.

I was under the impression that the game's context predates even Episode I

• dirtyd77dirtyd77 Member UncommonPosts: 383

I say do it. I think it is worth it to check it out. My dislikes for the game are again not so much to do with the game play itself more along the lines of bad business ethics.. 

The only problem I ever had with actual game play was my Consular abilities not firing after 2.0  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSzXNzAe7gg

Can be seen in the link. 

• Apache_Apache_ Member Posts: 168

Its a good little game.  Just don't go into the game thinking that its something any bigger than it really is and you will be fine.

what makes the game a gem is the story.  Full voice overs and cut scenes make playing more than just click quest giver and click accept.   It really adds depth to the game.

But its biggest strength is also its biggest flaw.  Because once you get past the story telling its just a very basic MMO.  A fact that becomes very obvious once you finish the story and get to end game.

Personally I cancelled my sub and havnt played in about 5 months.  Not because its a bad game.  Its just that I got bored with doing the same dailies and flashpoints (instances) over and over for end game content.

But its Free to play now.  Give it a shot.  Cant go wrong with Free

/cheers

• VahidVahid Member UncommonPosts: 55
    The game is set about 3650 years before the Episode 1.
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

I played very casually and did everything but end game raids. Took me about four months to do everything I wanted. Had no regrets but no desire to continue playing.
    The good: combat felt right
    The bad: crew skills did not live up to expectations.
    The ugly: landscapes start to feel like a repeating Flintstones background after a while.

I've been wanting to play something with Dual Pistols for a while now. I have a P/P Thief in GW2, and I love it, but it's not the strongest play style.
  • funconfuncon Member UncommonPosts: 279
    SWTOR has to many loading screens that ruin immersion. And the game engine sucks, it doesnt allow large scale wpvp. But I do like the graphics and animations. Another thing I do not like is the classes mirror each other, so it is really only 4 classes total in game.
  • funconfuncon Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Originally posted by wildscore12
    Originally posted by funcon
    SWTOR has to many loading screens that ruin immersion. And the game engine sucks, it doesnt allow large scale wpvp. But I do like the graphics and animations. Another thing I do not like is the classes mirror each other, so it is really only 4 classes total in game.

Well they have fixed all the loading screens by implanting these stations where you can go pretty much everyone with one or two loading screens. 

Each class has 3 different build options, each build is fairly unique.   So for example if I went with a Inquisitor I could either be a healer, Tank or DPS all three are very viable and useful in the game. 

I see. So now you teleport where ever you want, making zones empty. When I waited for this game before launch, I was expecting open space to fly from planet to planet.

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823

Not too long ago, in a thread not too far away, I was in a discussion regarding a debate over whether this game is a success or failure. Most of that thread dealt with speculative financials. At this point, I really don't care about that. What I want to know is "How good is the game?" I never bought it, I didn't play it during it's initial release period. I picked it up briefly right after it went F2P but didn't play for very long. I ended up doing an OS refresh and since I was still actively playing GW2 at the time, SWTOR never really found it's way back on my hard drive.

So, I've challenged myself to find out if this game is worthwhile or if it's truly a failure. I intend to get the answer to the question above. Is SWTOR worth playing? That is all. I intend to play this game fairly and unbiased, but I will use a perspective based on what other games offer.

At this point, the game is back on my hard drive and is finishing the update. Iv'e created a Smuggler on Jedi Covenant named Geeze.

As of now, I have little to say on the game since my experience is next to nothing at this point but, I'll play this through and from time to time, I'll report back on what I think is both good and bad about this game for anyone interested.

My advice, if you try this game do it as a sub. For $ 15 /mo there are no restriction and you will enjoy it more. That said this weekend is a 2XP weekend you'll level fairly quickly. The f2p model leaves a lot to be desired.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by Tygranir
    Personally, I like the game very much. I would recommend resisting the urge to spacebar through the interactions, as they really to add the charm to SWTOR. Take your time and enjoy the story for every quest. It makes it a much more enriched experience. Rushing to endgame in SWTOR is why people tend to dislike the game.

In all honesty... if you have to resist the urge to spacebar through conversations on your first playthrough... then it's pretty clear the game isn't going to be for you.

It's a story driven MMO, if you're going to skip that part you'll probably find what's left to be of little interest - might as well find a PvP game and focus solely on the PvE parts of it, which will very likely also wind up as a disappointment.

Other than that I agree with what Tygranir said.

Have fun, OP, and let us know how you're liking/disliking the game as you go along. :)

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

It sounds like leveling in SWTOR as an MMORPG is pretty weak. But it's still a good gaming experience as a single player. But I knew this for the most part.

My intent is to try to ask for grouped content when I come accross it.

I am also considering dropping the $15 bucks for a month too just for the full experience.

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741

It sounds like leveling in SWTOR as an MMORPG is pretty weak. But it's still a good gaming experience as a single player. But I knew this for the most part.

My intent is to try to ask for grouped content when I come accross it.

I am also considering dropping the $15 bucks for a month too just for the full experience.

Leveling in general in SWTOR will be mainly solo, but I always do the Flashpoints (Dungeons) as they become available, which groups you with other players. There are also some side quests on every planet that require more than one player. Also some holocrons take teamwork to attain.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

OK, requesting a little advice.

I went to review my subscription options. I found I have a choice for the sub and for the expansion. My question is..Do I need the expansion right away or just focus 1st on leveling? Is there low level content in the expansion or is that for later? I don't want to buy the expansion now if I won't experience the content until l cap. I also don't really plan on doing that much PVP before then either.

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350
    I've been wanting to play something with Dual Pistols for a while now. I have a P/P Thief in GW2, and I love it, but it's not the strongest play style.

Gunslingers are a lot of fun in this game.

You can also do dual pistols in DCUO and soon there will be the spellslinger in Wildstar.

All die, so die well.

I went to review my subscription options. I found I have a choice for the sub and for the expansion. My question is..Do I need the expansion right away or just focus 1st on leveling? Is there low level content in the expansion or is that for later? I don't want to buy the expansion now if I won't experience the content until l cap. I also don't really plan on doing that much PVP before then either.

Just sub, they'll throw in the expansion for free - I think you're seeing either outdated information or they left an option to get it without subbing.  :)

And no, you won't be needing it immediately since the Rise of the Hutt Cartel is all 50+ content.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

I didn't see any. I am pretty sure it is all limited to makeb and that is 50+. (the old cap)

I would still get the sub for all the other features though. Getting the unhobbled game is worth it.

All die, so die well.

Originally posted by VikingGamer

Gunslingers are a lot of fun in this game.

You can also do dual pistols in DCUO and soon there will be the spellslinger in Wildstar.

Just to expand on this; Bounty Hunters can also use Dual Pistols as long as you go Mercenary as advanced class.

• Elevenb4Elevenb4 Member UncommonPosts: 362

Have fun with it. I've been subbed since release with the exception of about 4 months here and there. I too had to overcome all the naysayers about the game to really release my mind and enjoy it.  I love the game, I've been playing MMO's since '99 and have never felt as attached to a character like I do my Zabrak Sith Warrior. I've always been a sucker for a story and I was sucked in. I'm returning this month to the game, took a break, not for any reason in particular other than I just needed a break from gaming entirely. 

Great game, have fun

-Unconstitutional laws aren't laws.-

Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade

Just sub, they'll throw in the expansion for free - I think you're seeing either outdated information or they left an option to get it without subbing.  :)

And no, you won't be needing it immediately since the Rise of the Hutt Cartel is all 50+ content.

I clicked on the link in the game on my character selection screen that said I am playing a free account Click here to sub

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

I think some of the class stories were worth the initial price and even the sub (since you only sub for a month or two for the class stories anyway). I liked the game when it released, I never saw the game truly as a mmorpg that has longevity, since it was not such a game, but I'm not completely sure now since I dont have the experience (yet).

I picked the game again a couple of days ago and I'm having my first TOR F2P experience now. I still dont think the game is such a game where I would spend a lot of time after hitting max level, but then again most F2P mmorgps feel like they have zero longevity, but they also have zero everyting, unless you just happen to enjoy a grind with no variety. TOR shines as F2P because of the fun class stories, and some change of pace with the rail shooter and the new space game.

What comes to the cash shop, I dont find it so bad since I had CE and I had around 4,5k cash shop credits sitting in the game as I logged in, so I've pretty much been able to buy anything I need, but I can see how some people might get annoyed with the shop selling core gameplay and UI features if they dont feel like putting any money into the game.

What I find annoying my self with the "preffered status" which is one step up from complete F2P status, is the fact that the game is actually PREVENTING me to cash in QUEST REWARDS if I dont sub. It's really silly, I do a quest, the NPC tells me he's giving me a payment, and the game tells me that I need to be a subscriber to get the basic credits reward. That is just stupid, I'm a bounty hunter doing charity work because I'm not a subber. Sure the reward is meaningless anyway but at least it feels like I get something for the jerb well done.

After a couple of days of playing, I think the F2P is fine for simply doing some class story, but it's not enough for consistent "MMO play". To not sub but still play as a full MMO you need to shell in quite a bit of cash into the cash shop to get a "full experience" all things considered.

Cash shops aside, for someone who played at launch for a couple of months, it's fun to find here and there differences when you compare to the "old game" like with any mmo that you re-enter year(s) later. Some abilities have changed, things have been added, some game mechanics changed ect. I'm still under lvl20 so lets see a bit further.