Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shards - next-gen online sandbox RPG from former Elder Scrolls and Ultima devs

pamppapamppa Member UncommonPosts: 3

Just got this from guilds forum

Shards Online Homepage

Gamebreaker news

Teaser

Comments

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Well I will add that to my watch list...

With all these sandbox games now in development we should at least get one that is bloody awesome :) the next 10 years of mmorpgs are going to be a lot better than the last 10 thats for sure.

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961

I wish them good luck. There is always room for something new in the MMO landscape.

But companies should really stop using that "next-gen" term. Every new MMO nowadays uses that term. Sounds like a car salesman and everyone knows how trustworthy they are. ;)

• lunatiquezlunatiquez Member UncommonPosts: 381

It's not a MMO, right?

They only mentioned "Multiplayer Online RPG".

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910
    Originally posted by inemosz

It's not a MMO, right?

They only mentioned "Multiplayer Online RPG".

Looks like if you have enough hardware, you can run your own MMO, or something very similar to it.

Concrete information : There will be a well, and the camera angle will, at some point, be isometric.  Maybe the camera will move later, but there will definitely be a well.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Interesting. Looking forward to hearing more info.
  • CorthagathCorthagath Member Posts: 291
    cartoony high fantasy setting is not next gen, it was last gen
  • EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

Hrm ..on watch list but thats about it .. way to early to tell what it becomes but my guess is a isometric view based game were you can build up "shards" of land and develop it. have mod capability to alter/ extend  game play and if youre hardware is good enough run multiple sharts to mimic a mmo. much like Minecraft and its mod comunity except this being more RPG then building stuff.

but tahts my wild guess ;) 

• EkarosEkaros Member UncommonPosts: 367
    Originally posted by Corthagath
    cartoony high fantasy setting is not next gen, it was last gen

Last gen is bit generous...

• SirRyanOfYewSirRyanOfYew Member Posts: 1
    Nothing about this game excites me.. every time I see "mythic" devs I want to run for the hills.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    So it's going to be what Landmark is supposed to be.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • TbauTbau Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 401

All of the important people behind the creative process of Ultima are all working on other projects which means this game could have joe some the guy that worked on a data spreadsheet on Ultima. And which ES? Not ESO because no one has been fired yet from that game.

They named no one specifically so, doesn't say much other than they needed to tag on two game names to generate interest.

• VulcifarVulcifar Member UncommonPosts: 5
    Well, the fact that Tim Cotten (Draconi) is working on it bodes well, as he was one of those who had a positive impact on UO, able to bring back a decent storyline (Inu the Crone) years after the first loose one (Zog Cabal).  His events were also somewhat legendary for those who stuck around years after Garriott and others left the mostly broken world.    Anyway, the company may be revealing some gameplay/ideas in a week or so, at least according to one social site.   I'll likely keep checking in, mainly due to this piece of info.
  • MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219
    Originally posted by Vulcifar
    Well, the fact that Tim Cotten (Draconi) is working on it bodes well, as he was one of those who had a positive impact on UO, able to bring back a decent storyline (Inu the Crone) years after the first loose one (Zog Cabal).  His events were also somewhat legendary for those who stuck around years after Garriott and others left the mostly broken world.    Anyway, the company may be revealing some gameplay/ideas in a week or so, at least according to one social site.   I'll likely keep checking in, mainly due to this piece of info.

I like the sound of this project - a lot tbh. More so than EQ-L.

Here's a recent interview they did: Shards Online: Q&A With Citadel Studios

I think this could be excellent. Of course that's what they said about all the other mmorpgs... image