Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Guild Wars 2: An Expansion in 2015?

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

There's going to be a Guild Wars 2 expansion in 2015. How do I know? I read it on the Internet! OK, you need a little more than that to go on. What if I told you (Morpheus voice) the place I read it wasn't some random forum but on the investment brief for NCSoft from a Korean securities firm?

Read more of Jason Winters' Guild Wars 2: An Expansion in 2015?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

ill respond as the headline...'excited'?

iam!-if its true.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083

Depending on how well they do this expansion depends on whether or not my faith will be restored in Anet.

Here's to hoping for their success!

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• NaeviusNaevius Member UncommonPosts: 334
    First, define 'expansion'.
  • DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406
    Awesome!
  • miramira2miramira2 Member UncommonPosts: 76
    hope it is true. i am not a big fan of the living story but like the game; and would prefer proper expansions
  • Rayzer235Rayzer235 Member UncommonPosts: 63
    Uh not to burst the bubble but this same Korean firm also said an expansion was coming sometime in 2013.
  • MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    If it happens.... I'll buy it!
  • Homura235Homura235 Member UncommonPosts: 167
    I think it's true. More and more, developers are listening and responding to what fans want. And all GW2 fans do is chant, "We want an Xpac!" and complain about the Living Story, so I think Anet is going to give the fans what they want, even at the cost of slowing down the Living Story and the free 2-week updates, which is dumb (for us) if you think about it - we were getting new content every 2 weeks for free and now you want to PAY for an expansion? If it came with a new class and race it would be worth it, but just new zones,quests, etc...we were already getting that for free....although a raise on the level cap would be implied, and that would be cool.
  • RubiosRubios Member Posts: 1
    Originally posted by discord235
    we were getting new content every 2 weeks for free and now you want to PAY for an expansion?

Yes, I wanna be able to pay them for quality content instead of getting free rubbish.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally
    I believe the answer lies somewhere in between. I think that, if the Living Story didn't exist, we would get an expansion sooner than 2.5 years after launch. While I don't think having LS updates drains all the resources that could be spent on creating an expansion, it can't have zero effect. And, if there were fewer updates, less reason for people to log in regularly, and, in theory, fewer purchases in the Gem Store, there would be more clamor for an expansion – first from players, and then from the higher-ups at ArenaNet and NCSoft, who would want an influx of income.
    Then again, I find it hard to believe that ArenaNet expects Living Story to be the only way new content is added to the game. I've always believed that an expansion is in the works. I think they don't feel pressured to get one because of the sales of the base game, and because, as much as people might debate its quality, the Living Story does keep bodies in the game and probably keeps money flowing through the Gem Store. In short, we'll probably get an expansion – wait for it – when it's ready. And I can believe that won't be until next year.

GW2 has been making $25M-30M a quarter mostly on microtransactions.

That is enough to have a reasonably large team dedicated to the Live Game (be it story or other updates).

I believe it is the cash flow generated by the Living Story that pretty much gives so much time to Anet develop and release an expansion.

Anet annual expenses are most likely under $40-45M and GW2 generated $115M last year.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• obocoboc Member UncommonPosts: 189
    Please Anet TAKE MY MONEY. You all have millions of dollars just sitting around waiting to be given to you . Just give us our expansion already . 
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    More skills (better character development), block button, and better WvW maps, it might have a chance.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Thessik_IrontailThessik_Irontail Member UncommonPosts: 76
    Same time frame as EQN? I think that will SERIOUSLY hurt anything GW2 related in 2015.
  • StarS0ftStarS0ft Member UncommonPosts: 124
    EQN? for kids only because of cartoon graphics, same as Wildstar.
  • FloreumFloreum Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by discord235
    I think it's true. More and more, developers are listening and responding to what fans want. And all GW2 fans do is chant, "We want an Xpac!" and complain about the Living Story, so I think Anet is going to give the fans what they want, even at the cost of slowing down the Living Story and the free 2-week updates, which is dumb (for us) if you think about it - we were getting new content every 2 weeks for free and now you want to PAY for an expansion? If it came with a new class and race it would be worth it, but just new zones,quests, etc...we were already getting that for free....although a raise on the level cap would be implied, and that would be cool.

I really do not understand why some people think that adding more levels adds to the gameplay. It doesn't, especially in how Guild Wars 2 is set up, none of the skills are locked based on levels. Only the zones. If you actually invested time into the game, you would know that adding more levels ruins a lot of the core game. It ruins ascended and legendary gear. Something that takes way to long to even get to begin with, now made useless with a level cap bump.

Adding more levels doesn't mean more gameplay! If anything it's a lazy way to act like there is more content by locking you off of certain areas of a game, 80 levels is enough, we don't need a another WoW on us ( which has gotten so ridiculous that now you can pay for a level boost). If you've been following the development of this game at all, they're all about horizontal progression, which really opens up some interesting possibilities when compared to vertical progression.

On another note - An expansion being developed might explain why the company is suddenly hiring for quite a lot of positions again.

• xXStarstruckXxxXStarstruckXx Member Posts: 23

The game is dead.

1. they have lost the bigger stronger pre made Guilds.

2. they have lost the best commanders for all kind of styles.

3. they first fired some good guy and hired some guy making it ''put'' friendly when they should have listened to the peoples and TEACH the less good players.

tbh when new good WvW style games comes out EQN, wildstar, unchanted Camelot and more gw2 will officially die out.

just a fact: 40 elit commanders joined the game, 36 quit already.

• timidobservertimidobserver Member UncommonPosts: 246
    Originally posted by xXStarstruckXx

The game is dead.

3. they first fired some good guy and hired some guy making it ''put'' friendly when they should have listened to the peoples and TEACH the less good players.

tbh when new good WvW style games comes out EQN, wildstar, unchanted Camelot and more gw2 will officially die out.

Commanders and Premades don't pay more money than pugs and terribads. A players skill is irrelevant really. Anet is making money in their cash shop and that is all they care about. Who sticks around to pay them is beside the point.

The money is generated by the living story. They care about keeping players around that are into the living story. Commanders and Premades are of very little importance to them. They could care less if you leave. Commander tags are cheap. 

You and Anet have a different definition of "dead." To you, fewer good commanders and premades constitutes dead. To them, making less money from the Cash Shop constitutes dead. 

Originally posted by timidobserver

The game is dead.

Commanders and Premades don't pay more money than pugs and terribads. A players skill is irrelevant really. Anet is making money in their cash shop and that is all they care about. Who sticks around to pay them is beside the point.

The money is generated by the living story. They care about keeping players around that are into the living story. Commanders and Premades are of very little importance to them. They could care less if you leave. Commander tags are cheap. 

You and Anet have a different definition of "dead." To you, fewer good commanders and premades constitutes dead. To them, making less money from the Cash Shop constitutes dead. 

As if the majority of the GW2 population care about those mystic guilds and "elit" commanders.

GW2 is one of those games that doesn't need "elit" guilds to be playable.

Then there is the urban myth reference to some guy that was fired (who?) and one that was hired (who?).

Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• timidobservertimidobserver Member UncommonPosts: 246
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

The game is dead.

As if the majority of the GW2 population care about those mystic guilds and "elit" commanders.

Then there is the urban myth reference to some guy that was fired (who?) and one that was hired (who?).

It doesn't really matter what the GW2 population cares about. What matters if what Anet cares about, and they care about Cash Shop profits and Server Transfer profits.

The fired guy they are referring to was Habib Loew, the previous WvW lead.I don't know if he was fired or quit, but I do know that his Linkedin profile lists him as only working at Anet for 6 months. 

• BeelzebobbieBeelzebobbie Member UncommonPosts: 430

There will be an expansion, if you think about it everything else is crazy, it's like Microsoft saying no we are not gonna develop any new windows past windos 98 cause many people use it, sure a few tweeks here and there. 

Of course there will be an expansion cause NCSoft and Anet wants them dollars!!!! is that wrong NO!!!!! They can take all my dollars if they give something that I love playing and will enjoy for a long time and I know they will.

Problem is the time, atleast thats what I think. The game was released in 2012 and waiting three years for an expansion then I guess they might have lost alot of players to other games. They should have started on an expansion way, way sooner and released something this year. 

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

The game is dead.

Were you in an "elite" guild?  You act like it.  When good players leave, the rest of the game doesn't die, other players just get good and take their place.  It happens in EVERY MMO. 

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

The game is dead.

so you get fired from Anet and come here and make an account just to post this? WIth that attitude im sure you deserved being fired.

Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

The game is dead.

It doesn't really matter what the GW2 population cares about. What matters if what Anet cares about, and they care about Cash Shop profits and Server Transfer profits.

The fired guy they are referring to was Habib Loew, the previous WvW lead.I don't know if he was fired or quit, but I do know that his Linkedin profile lists him as only working at Anet for 6 months. 

Loew hasn't been working for Anet for almost 1 year now and he worked for Anet for 6 years but other than the culling issue he was pretty much an unknown.

I don't know how one reach the conclusion he was the WvW lead - he was a programmer. His GW2 forums signature stated gameplay programmer.

He might have been the Live Team WvW lead (or the full team itself) but if you want to look at who developed WvW it was guys like Mike Ferguson.

Also one of the highest participation periods in WvW was Season 1, some 6 months after Loew leaving.

And Devon Carver also has been for anet for a while.

• RorhcRorhc Member UncommonPosts: 115

The game is dead.

lol.

This could end up being very interesting.

• illyanaillyana Member UncommonPosts: 614

take me back to Elona!

take me back to Cantha!

Have fun storming the castle! - Miracle Max