Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Whose rooting for this one?

Comments

• ZarriyaZarriya Member UncommonPosts: 446

Post Kickstarter news- You can now pledge directly on their site. Tomorrow is the last day they are honoring kickstarter pledges (they let me keep my 375$ pledge).  The link to their site is https://www.pantheonrotf.com/

Their forums are amazing and I have been impressed by the developers sincerity and involvement with the players.  It is very refreshing.

• NirrtixNirrtix Member Posts: 173
    zarriya your time posting was kinda wasted, as most here are here to hate... They want to blame Brad soly for the issues with Vanguard, when the main issues were SoE and Microsoft... They also ignore that Brad worked on other games...

Nirrtix
    ALPHAs:
    -Pantheon
    -Shroud of the Avatar
    -Camelot Unchained
    BETAs:
    -World of Warcraft
    -City of Heroes
    -Star Wars Galaxies
    -Saga of Ryzom
    -Homeworld
    -Starcraft II
    -Warcraft III
    -Hearthstone
    -Star Wars The Old Republic
    -Vanguard Saga of Heroes

• ace80kace80k Member UncommonPosts: 151
    Originally posted by Razeekster
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Xthos

I donated, only KS that I have.  EQ/VG are in my top 5 all time, so if they can make something 20% as good as EQ was, it will be better than anything in the last 5+ years for me.  This is my opinion, before someone goes crazy.

If the KS fails, I spent nothing, if it succeeds and then the game fails, I will somehow manage to not fall apart, and go on some rampage making nasty posts....I am fine with the risk, wouldn't of given my money otherwise.

It won't fail.

There is zero chance of it failing, Brad has friends that will drop $500K if it comes to that.

They are just trying to use this KS as means of raising more money, that is all. You can show investors a successful KS and they will throw money at you.

There is literally 0% chance of it failing - the only way it would happen is if Brad decides to pull the plug on the KS.

Well it looks like you were wrong and I'll tell you my thoughts on why. First of all the Kickstarter had been crawling at the same slow pace the whole entire time the Kickstarter had been up. It didn't start at the "middle part" as some people have suggested (not to mention it only made it to the "middle part" at the end of the Kickstarter).

It had just been that slow since it started pretty much. Secondly, it is specifically against the rules to do what you are suggesting. Brad would have had to pay back whoever gave the $500k, and again this is against Kickstarter rules.

Thirdly, why would any investor want to invest in a project that was only able to make it a little over halfway, thus proving that their is only a limited amount of people for the kind of game that this Kickstarter is trying to make? An investor invests in things that he/she thinks will do well and make money... From the slow-crawled pace that Pantheon achieved with its Kickstarter it was pretty clear that no sane investor was going to just drop $500k into this project.

Pantheon did a terrible job with its Kickstarter. They didn't really interact with the community like good Kickstarters try to do, not to mention Brad had like 2 or 3 apology type articles that were published by some gaming sites, which in my opinion wasn't a smart idea. The Kickstarter wasn't even over yet, and he was basically admitting defeat instead of reaching out to the community that were in fact interested in Pantheon.

I just don't think the Kickstarter was managed very well, and once again, this sort of proves the problem with Brad: He doesn't seem to do well with leadership roles, and honestly doesn't seem to know what he wants or what to do. That kind of was shown with the Kicktstarter bonus tiers when crafting and PvP were part of them...

To add on to this, another problem I saw was that it was way too light on details. The whole point of a Kickstarter is for people to back an idea. Pantheon'Kickstarter initially started out with very little information about the game, and players aren't going to back something like an MMO without know what they are getting into (some will, but the huge majority aren't going to throw away their hard-earned cash like that).

More information was released, eventually, but it seemed a bit too late I think.

It's so easy to be critical isn't it? I love people who act like they know what's going on behind the scenes and try to put together some sort of non-factual dissertation based on what little info they actually do know. Have you ever worked with Brad Mcquaid personally? Do you know 100% that's he's a bad leader? I've seen the bad leader/manager claim made over and over again on this website. Unless someone here knows him personally and is willing to set the facts straight, it's nothing more than a rumor. You're talking about the guy who laid the groundwork for the modern day MMO in his basement. He's really can't be that bad...

To address your point about Pantheon being "too light on details", here's a summary for you: it's similar to EQ. I found the released info to be quite informative. The people working on the game probably don't even have an office and i can only assume they're working for free at this point. What more do you expect? Either support the game or move on. Pantheon is a kickstarter headed by one of the founding fathers of EQ.A game considered by many to be the most influential MMO of all time.

• mhoward48mhoward48 Member UncommonPosts: 99

This is the only game that has my interest! Nothing else out there, that I would be interested in playing. 

It looks to have the challenge I want.

The socializing I want.

Class distinction that I want.

I do not want to try out another Rift, GW2 and quickly become bored due to the way the game was developed.

These are my opinions ,and what I want in a game. I am not going to try and tell someone else what to enjoy.

It is still in very early development.

• AliothAlioth Member UncommonPosts: 236

It's so easy to be critical isn't it? I love people who act like they know what's going on behind the scenes and try to put together some sort of non-factual dissertation based on what little info they actually do know. Have you ever worked with Brad Mcquaid personally? Do you know 100% that's he's a bad leader? I've seen the bad leader/manager claim made over and over again on this website. Unless someone here knows him personally and is willing to set the facts straight, it's nothing more than a rumor. You're talking about the guy who laid the groundwork for the modern day MMO in his basement. He's really can't be that bad...

To address your point about Pantheon being "too light on details", here's a summary for you: it's similar to EQ. I found the released info to be quite informative. The people working on the game probably don't even have an office and i can only assume they're working for free at this point. What more do you expect? Either support the game or move on. Pantheon is a kickstarter headed by one of the founding fathers of EQ.A game considered by many to be the most influential MMO of all time.

Ahhh, a breath of fresh air. Thank you for posting that. 

I am most certainly rooting for this one. I didn't play much EQ, but I did play the poop out of FFXI, which was based on EQ game mechanics. FFXI was a ridiculously good game, and if the Pantheon devs are looking to bring back the magic that made EQ and FFXI such incredible experiences, then I am all for supporting them. Besides, pretty much everything their game director (Salim Grant) says regarding what he believes makes gaming a meaningful experience, I agree with. 

• kastakasta Member Posts: 512
    I played EQ and dabbled at Vanguard.  If this game makes it to release, I'll try it out but I won't put any money up front.  You can blame SOE and Micro$oft all you want but they are still around and Sigil isn't.
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Originally posted by kasta
    I played EQ and dabbled at Vanguard.  If this game makes it to release, I'll try it out but I won't put any money up front.  You can blame SOE and Micro$oft all you want but they are still around and Sigil isn't.

Can't blame you, I wont either, especially if they don't even have plans to devote enough resources to have pvp servers at launch.

As far as the blame game goes, of course soe and microsoft are still around and Sigil isn't... they were the investors.  Why would they fail if they backed out of an agreement.  derp derp

• Ragnar1337Ragnar1337 Member CommonPosts: 70
    You know to listen to this smug jackass McQuaid you would think he made EQ all by himself. Vanguard was much more his own game and that failed miserably. He never takes any responsibility for it but rather blamed everyone else and just went crawling back to SoE. I can not imagine why anyone would put up any money for anything this scam artist does unless you just don't know the real story on this guy or you have some mental illness that prohibits you from using common sense. Sorry brad you are going to have to find something else to do, the days of riding that EQ wave are over bro. 
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    Originally posted by kasta
    [...]  You can blame SOE and Micro$oft all you want but they are still around and Sigil isn't.

And that matters ... why ?

• fierce750fierce750 Member Posts: 37
    I would REALLY love to see this game be made.
  • vandal5627vandal5627 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by Ragnar1337
    You know to listen to this smug jackass McQuaid you would think he made EQ all by himself. Vanguard was much more his own game and that failed miserably. He never takes any responsibility for it but rather blamed everyone else and just went crawling back to SoE. I can not imagine why anyone would put up any money for anything this scam artist does unless you just don't know the real story on this guy or you have some mental illness that prohibits you from using common sense. Sorry brad you are going to have to find something else to do, the days of riding that EQ wave are over bro. 

You know, I've never knew anything about Brad or cared about what he does but having dealt with him directly on Pantheon with an issues, I would agree, this guy should not be running a team not to mention running a company.  I had high hopes for this game but with him running the show, this game is basically vaporware.

• sludgebeardsludgebeard Member RarePosts: 788

Come on man, does saying all this stuff about Brad really mean anything? Is debasing him for his past failings really going to make you feel better or change others opinions? 

I was super excited for Pantheon, and even ill be honest, when the kickstarter lost steam so did I. 

Now though, Pantheon is back to its Indie game status, the kickstarter could have broken it out of that and put it in line for a serious publisher, but its going to be a hard road for the team from this point on. 

The fact is, theres talented people on this team, Brad has dont nothing but praise the people hes working with, and try to ignore all the negativity sent his way. And good for him, hes trying to make a game, he doesnt need to hear everyones personal opinion on his character or his team.

Everyone just needs to take a step back and realize theres no conspiracy theory, theres no scam, theres just a man with a vision, and a handful of old school MMORPG fans at his back trying to make a game. 

There is no reason to send hatred towards them or debase their careers to make yourselves feel better. 

• saxifrsaxifr Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by sludgebeard

Come on man, does saying all this stuff about Brad really mean anything? Is debasing him for his past failings really going to make you feel better or change others opinions? 

I was super excited for Pantheon, and even ill be honest, when the kickstarter lost steam so did I. 

Now though, Pantheon is back to its Indie game status, the kickstarter could have broken it out of that and put it in line for a serious publisher, but its going to be a hard road for the team from this point on. 

The fact is, theres talented people on this team, Brad has dont nothing but praise the people hes working with, and try to ignore all the negativity sent his way. And good for him, hes trying to make a game, he doesnt need to hear everyones personal opinion on his character or his team.

Everyone just needs to take a step back and realize theres no conspiracy theory, theres no scam, theres just a man with a vision, and a handful of old school MMORPG fans at his back trying to make a game. 

There is no reason to send hatred towards them or debase their careers to make yourselves feel better. 

Word is all the talent has left for any one of 45,000 reasons.

RELAX!@!! BREATHE!!!

• jons000jons000 Member Posts: 13

A man with a vision of dollar signs dancing through his head.  If any of this were about making a game he is passionate about, he wouldn't take $150,000+ year salary from an indie, crowd funded project.  That is NOT how it works, and to claim he just wants to make a game he dreams of is borderline delusional.  Passionate people who are making a game on a shoestring budget live meagerly and pour their soul into their project.  Money should be the result of success, not an expectation because of your name.

Originally posted by jons000

A man with a vision of dollar signs dancing through his head.  If any of this were about making a game he is passionate about, he wouldn't take $150,000+ year salary from an indie, crowd funded project.  That is NOT how it works, and to claim he just wants to make a game he dreams of is borderline delusional.  Passionate people who are making a game on a shoestring budget live meagerly and pour their soul into their project.  Money should be the result of success, not an expectation because of your name.

But then why is there so much hate being thrown towards Pantheon? Why isnt the same amount of hate being put towards Richard Garriot and his project?

Richard Garriot could afford to travel to the fucking Moon! And yet he kickstarts his project and people dont think thats a cash in?

No Brad failed once before, not as bad as Garriot, although Tabula Rasa also was effectively cancelled only a few years after launch. But Garriot has more connections and more money, and is better off than Brad.

Yet were trashing Pantheon why? Because hes having a hard time? Should it not it be the opposite?

Edit: Also just to be clear, Im not saying that Brad doesnt deserve to be questioned about his intentions, but theres only so far you can go with conspiracy theories and hate threads.

Honestly all I see with these forums is a bunch of dramatic people who like an easy target to bitch about.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

i would stop short of launching an ad hominem attack on brad, but he did leave a rotten taste in my mouth with VG, which, personally, i bought a 2000$ computer just to play when it released only to find it awful.  (i know it got better!).  that, plus the horrid practice of charging for forums, leaves me with a very wary eye towards the game.

however.

the idea of the game does appeal to me as an old EQ1 fan.  and i DO think that, if acting solely (SOLELY) as an idea guy, with access to smart folks around him to rein him in when needed, Brad knows his crap inside and out.

so i dunno what i'm going to do with Pantheon.  but before i give the project any of my money Brad is going to have to win my trust again.  I will do my part and be open to the possibility

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• CreatorzimCreatorzim Member UncommonPosts: 274

But then why is there so much hate being thrown towards Pantheon? Why isnt the same amount of hate being put towards Richard Garriot and his project?

Richard Garriot could afford to travel to the fucking Moon! And yet he kickstarts his project and people dont think thats a cash in?

No Brad failed once before, not as bad as Garriot, although Tabula Rasa also was effectively cancelled only a few years after launch. But Garriot has more connections and more money, and is better off than Brad.

Yet were trashing Pantheon why? Because hes having a hard time? Should it not it be the opposite?

Edit: Also just to be clear, Im not saying that Brad doesnt deserve to be questioned about his intentions, but theres only so far you can go with conspiracy theories and hate threads.

Honestly all I see with these forums is a bunch of dramatic people who like an easy target to bitch about.

There are very few people who actually put their own money on the line for games, you do know that right? Just because you are rich doesnt mean you are going to invest into a game. Crowdfunding also allow people to get games for cheap. 

But Brad took 45k of the 150k they raised for his own personal reasons. The 45k did not go into the game like the donations were intended for. Now because he was hoping for money to come in but didnt the team has to stop working on the project.

Also no one is making fun of the game, we are making fun of Brad who obviously shouldnt have been able to touch any of the money since he isnt responsible.

He also was expecting more for a year salary than all of the money raised. Did he only expect for him to get paid the entire year while other people on the team starved?

• comicguycomicguy Member Posts: 123

Anyone that wait for Vanguard won't be rooting for another failure. Pass on this game.

Pass on any game by Brad

Pass on any game promoted by Paul Barnett

Originally posted by Creatorzim

There are very few people who actually put their own money on the line for games, you do know that right? Just because you are rich doesnt mean you are going to invest into a game. Crowdfunding also allow people to get games for cheap. 

But Brad took 45k of the 150k they raised for his own personal reasons. The 45k did not go into the game like the donations were intended for. Now because he was hoping for money to come in but didnt the team has to stop working on the project.

Also no one is making fun of the game, we are making fun of Brad who obviously shouldnt have been able to touch any of the money since he isnt responsible.

He also was expecting more for a year salary than all of the money raised. Did he only expect for him to get paid the entire year while other people on the team starved?

The dude wasted $50 million on drugs and hiring family member and friends for Vanguard.

People never learn not to trust Brad with money. Well, most did because the KS was a failure

Originally posted by comicguy

The dude wasted $50 million on drugs and hiring family member and friends for Vanguard.

People never learn not to trust Brad with money. Well, most did because the KS was a failure

Let me see the proof. Right now, show me the hard muckracker journalism that uncovered this MMO conspiracy theory.

• ButtskiButtski Member UncommonPosts: 187
    funny how many fell for that vaporware.
  • jons000jons000 Member Posts: 13
    Originally posted by comicguy

Let me see the proof. Right now, show me the hard muckracker journalism that uncovered this MMO conspiracy theory.

You like the term conspiracy theory, but you do realize it's not a conspiracy if his official Facebook profile provided the details of his money mismanagement? His improprieties on Vanguard's development are well documented and he has owned up to some of it.  You'll also notice he hasn't come out and denied that he had a drug addiction.  I give people the benefit of the doubt, but Brad took that and gave me 45000 more reasons not to cut him slack anymore.

• PanzerbasePanzerbase Member Posts: 423
    Well I think it's high time this thread and this game was put to rest, removed from the forums. He stole money from his investors, prison should be his next stop. 

LOL.

LOL.

Guess I was wrong, PEOPLE STILL NEVER LEARN.

The guy stole $45k and admitted to it and people still demands proof.

He didn't literally steal $50 million, but he sure as hell wasted it just like he wasted $45k while other employee were working for "FREE"

So you want us to say "BRAD WASTED ANOTHER $45K?" instead of "LOOTED"

NOTE: ANY MONEY PLEDGED WILL NOT BEING GOING TOWARDS DEVELOPMENT AT THIS TIME; INSTEAD IT WILL GO TOWARDS KEEPING THE WEBSITE UP AND RUNNING AND TO OTHER MAINTENANCE COSTS. WE WILL ADVISE YOU WHEN AND IF THIS CHANGES.

nice scam.