Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why buy ships right now

Hi everyone

Go few questions before I jump into a band wagon.

The ships available for PLEDGE/Purchase are only good for PU servers hosted by CIG, are they any good besides PU ?

Also What is the point of Pledging/Purchasing ships when CIG said New ships will be available like New Car Models come out every year. Doesn't this mean current ships will degrade its value once new series of ships become available. I am thinking of TEC 1, TEC 2 and now TEC 3 ship in EVE ONLINE.

Want to Pledge but few things remind me HODL ON until I see a valid Progress in the game.

Hear me out before you say anything about Purchase because CHRIS himself in interview stated that " The ship player PURCHASE will become available in hanger", he never mentioned the word pledge.

Comments

• Geebus80Geebus80 Member Posts: 92

Chris has also said that the ships will not be easy to obtain in game, they will need ALOT of money and or rep to buy them. People buy ships now to get a head start basically and save themselves the first 6m of money making in game to get a new ship.

He has also stated that official servers will have a monthly sub and that the ships WILL NOT be for sale for real money on launch.

If you are looking for valid progress in the game I suggest you try the hanger module and the upcoming dogfight module. They release these to test the engines basics before alpha phase, aka progress.

• HanthosHanthos Member UncommonPosts: 242
    Originally posted by Geebus80

Chris has also said that the ships will not be easy to obtain in game, they will need ALOT of money and or rep to buy them. People buy ships now to get a head start basically and save themselves the first 6m of money making in game to get a new ship.

He has also stated that official servers will have a monthly sub and that the ships WILL NOT be for sale for real money on launch.

If you are looking for valid progress I suggest you try the hanger module and the upcoming dogfight module. They release these to test the engines basics before alpha phase, aka progress.

All very valid points. Having the access to the game testing modules, alpha & beta were worth the pledge for me. 

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

He has also stated that official servers will have a monthly sub 

Do you have a link for that?

• PaxtoPaxto Member UncommonPosts: 19
    Originally posted by RefMinor

He has also stated that official servers will have a monthly sub 

Do you have a link for that?

There is no monthly fee for Star Citizen..

Is Star Citizen “free to play”? A subscription game?

To play Star Citizen you need only to buy the initial game. There will never be a monthly charge for usage. Some in-game items may be available as microtransactions, but we will NEVER sell anything that can’t be acquired through honest (and fun!) gameplay.

Source:
    http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Frequently_Asked_Questions
  • SpeedLoSpeedLo Member UncommonPosts: 6
    Soo anything about flying ship ? when will be ready to fly ? and any date about the beta ?
    Originally posted by SpeedlO
    Soo anything about flying ship ? when will be ready to fly ? and any date about the beta ?

As of right now you can only walk around in your hanger and look and the ships that you have purchased. You can look at many youtube videos of people doing this. As for the next module it should be around April sometime. Though this can changed as it was supposed to be originally released in December 2013. That is the Dog Fight Module. As for the actual beta I think it will be towards the end of this year with the game releasing next year.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    I believe people want in the beta and as someone mentioned before, people want their ships now. I bought 1 ship so far and I might get another but that's it. I'll earn the rest when I play.
  • SpeedLoSpeedLo Member UncommonPosts: 6
    aha ... soo should i buy my package now ? is it worth to just walk around for couple of months ? and about the April you mean we can flight in sometime in April ? if is that you mean i will buy my package from now.
    Originally posted by SpeedlO
    aha ... soo should i buy my package now ? is it worth to just walk around for couple of months ? and about the April you mean we can flight in sometime in April ? if is that you mean i will buy my package from now.

If you are unsure on what ship to get now you can just get the cheapest ship so that you make sure you are in Alpha and Beta. The cheapest is 30 dollars. Make sure you get the single ship package and not just the ship. The package will allow you to enter both betas. And yes you will be able to fly around in space and practice your flying skills in April, as well as dog fight. Shortly after that the social module will be released, also known as the planetside module. So you will be able to land on planets. Again when you go to buy your ship, make sure you get the single ship package or you will end up waiting till next year to play the game. well the alpha and beta that is.

Also one other thing on the dog fight module. Everyone will be given a temporary Hornet to practice in.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/store/88-anvil-hornet

• For me, part of this type of game is working towards and acquiring new ships. I don't get why people pay to skip that part.

• apanz3rapanz3r Member UncommonPosts: 273
    Buy the cheapest package with alpha. You will "earn" ingame bout 5$ per hour. the 220% ship will be farmable in 50-60 hours
  • Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

No!!  Don't splash out on an expensive ship!!

Chris Roberts, CEO of Star Citizen has said that all those purchases are only there for generous people to support the game financially.

A  key feature of a space sim is that you get a feeling of progression. 

I've bought the cheapest ship - only as a pre-order.

By purchasing a good ship, I think you are losing out on gameplay in the long-term.

There are 2 subscription options, but they are optional - only for generous people who want to support the game financially in the long-term so that future development is made more likely.

• TyrianPrimeTyrianPrime Member UncommonPosts: 107

Because we can...support a game made by the legendary grandmaster of the space sim genre, Chris Roberts....and i prefer supporting his dream game, having played his old dream games that i found way more qualified to please my free time, than X numbers of mediocre console and buggy pc games of money hungry rushing from the window, mega companies commanded by morons with spreadsheets and suits that don't give a damn about a gamer after buying their unfinished, unpolished, superficial baloonish game.

Every MMO that is launched is worse than the previous ones...doesn't that ever ring a bell, of what is going on?

Chris Roberts is the perfect example, of a pioneer that will move the industry forward, one more time...

The price of digital excellence, is eternal gaming enlightenment. And Roberts carries the torch once more, into a darkened with empty but flashy cartoons gaming market!

Fully supporting STAR CITIZEN by the Legendary Grandmaster of the Space Game Genre, Chris Roberts.For Captain Eisen's memory.....For Squadron 42...For the Space Genre....For the PC....I pledge!
    Star Citizen
    TOG Star Citizen-Join Us

• EbanyEbany Member UncommonPosts: 56
    There are people in my clan who don't support it due to past experiences with Pre-Ordering or Founding games, when the game comes out and they get to see some real footage of the polished version, things may change.
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

As a buy-to-play game, you guys are fooling yourself if you don't think those ships will be available to buy once the game launches.  They may not be available at launch but there will be some kind of store for you to keep buying crap in this game and ships WILL eventually be for sale. 

I pledged and got the ship I want, I will wait until after launch before I throw any more money into this game. 

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• morbuskabismorbuskabis Member Posts: 290

Originally posted by jukebox6512
     Also What is the point of Pledging/Purchasing ships when CIG said New ships will be available like New Car Models come out every year. Doesn't this mean current ships will degrade its value once new series of ships become available. I am thinking of TEC 1, TEC 2 and now TEC 3 ship in EVE ONLINE.

There are ppl out there in RL that drive around with old cars. We call them old timers, and a lot of ppl will pay good money for such cars. Same is going to happen in SC.

image -Massive-Industries- Heavy Duty

• atuerstaratuerstar Member Posts: 234

One reason - to own the game and a good starter ship.

Being Australian I can pay over 100 dollars for a new release game. I recently did this for titanfall - and its digitally delivered (trust me, I ranted before giving in)! So spending that amount on a nice ship and getting the game when it releases, and the chance to mess around in it a bit before then, was a very good deal when compared to the absolutely terrible standard deal offered by games retailers in my home country for other games.

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043
    Originally posted by Mors.Magne

No!!  Don't splash out on an expensive ship!!

Chris Roberts, CEO of Star Citizen has said that all those purchases are only there for generous people to support the game financially.

A  key feature of a space sim is that you get a feeling of progression. 

I've bought the cheapest ship - only as a pre-order.

By purchasing a good ship, I think you are losing out on gameplay in the long-term.

There are 2 subscription options, but they are optional - only for generous people who want to support the game financially in the long-term so that future development is made more likely.

tldr: spend what you can afford. That kind of holds true for all luxury and entertainment, gaming or otherwise.