Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are 5 things you are tired of in the MMORPG genre? (PS: No vague answers like Themepark/Sandbox

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Name 5 things you are tired of in the MMORPG genre:

again, lets not use vague answers like Themepark, or Sandbox, or X clone, nothing like that for sake of this discussion.

I will start. with my own list of things that I am simply tired and feed-up with in the MMORPG genre in general.

1)Tired of Character Levels:
in most themepark MMOs they tend to use character level concept.  And usually this has forms of restriction such as zones that are restricted to a certain level requirement due to speedy mobs that can 1shot you. Or the character levels prevent me from playing certain content features in whatever order I want to. Sometimes I cant even play PvP with my friends because my character level tells me I cant enter that Battleground, etc. Tired of this. Sandbox MMOs on many occasions dont have a character level system, but a replacement. this allow players to venture and make their own journey in the game world. But usually these games have a form of PvP called Free For All, which tend to draw asshats that want to ruin the game for others. For once, can a themepark MMO do away with levels and the on rail zone paths and other level restrictions?

2) Free For All PvP:
Like I mention above, the games that do have the free form for world exploration and journey making, tend to always have the FFA PvP that ruins it. I would once and for all just like to get rid of FFA PvP and stick to faction PvP. tired of FFA PvP ruining every interesting sandbox game I was interested in.

3) Arena PvP:
This may been cool the first few times I tried it, but after awhile I realized just how much small scale kill battles like Arena exploits the uniqueness of classes. The same reason Duels in MMOs with classes can never be balanced, is the same exact reason small scale Arena battles cant be balance (without destroying class uniqueness. ) and class uniqueness is one of the important parts of my character to me.

4) Instanced Large group content always have to be hardest difficulty:
Another thing I am tired of, is how in every MMO with instanced raids, the content is always made for the higher difficulty content list. For once, how about we get some instanced large group content, that share the same diffuclty as the 5 man party dungeons. Matter of fact, I wouldnt even mind if 5 player party dungeons had a 10 player mode that added big more HP and more mobs to each pull so we can fight through on a more simpler focus. I like the party dungeon's difficulty and reward structure, I just dont like the 5 party member structure. And it just seems like new MMOs are making the party dungeons group size smaller and smaller to the point we going to simply have solo dungeons. What intimidates most people from Raids are the difficulty, not the numbers of members in the group. For once I would like developers to realize this. have both Hard raids, and simple party dungeon difficulty raids group instanced dungeons. This helps people get comfortable with the idea of raid organization for when they ready to make that leap into hardcore raids.

5)Mob Tagging:
Seriously, can we just get rid of this concept already? its an old concept, that is long overdue for a burial. It makes people very uncomfortable when it comes to helping others out. I cant tell you the number of times I been taunted in games with mob tag, simply because I was trying to help another player out who I saw being attacked by mobs. They assume I was trying "ninja" their kill. This is just not cool.  I understand why the system was originally in place, to prevent people from tagging and AFKing while others kill the mobs. But thats why you should start rewarding players on contribution, not the tag itself.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

1) Static fixed classes. Having different specs helps, or being able to take a single character and shuffle between classes.. but they just alleviate symptoms of the underlaying problem of a defined class. Don't interpret this as anti-trinity though, you can still have defined roles, that's different than a static class

2) Fed-Ex quests. I also include in here "Discovery/Exploration" quests where you just have to run someplace and magically your quest is done. These make me want to pull out my hair.

3) Level segregation. This zone for Level 1-5. This zone for Level 25-30. This zone for hanging out because your max level and have nothing else to do. It ends up with a lot of empty space, and since everyone is eventually max level, everyone eventually ends up more or less hanging out in the same spot.

4) Instance queue teleport to dungeon. Sure, it's very convenient. It also seems to kill the game, as everyone just hangs out in whatever capital city and waits for the queue to run them around. You should have to walk your sorry lazy a$$ to whatever dungeon you happen to be running. It's not like most of the games out there don't have near-instant transportation anyway.

5) External add-ons, to include Vent/Mumble/Teamspeak. I hate it when you are forced to use something that isn't included with the game in order to play the game. This is more a ping on the community who "require" these tools, than it is on the developer for failing to include them in the first place.

*edit*

If I had a 6th, .. it would be mixing PVE and PVP, and trying to balance both. This drives me nuts. You tune something for PVE, that breaks PVP, so it gets tweaked, now PVE is all borked... If you want to PVP, play a PVP game, if you want to PVE, play a PVE game. Sure you can have elements of one in the other, but don't expect a PVP game to balance and tune the PVE aspect at the expense of their PVP, and vice versa.

• zekeofevzekeofev Member UncommonPosts: 240

1: Lack of risk verus reward. I miss games that actually had this as a main design. MMO worlds used to make me feel scared and excited. Modern MMOs lack the danger because dying/defeat costs a trivial time to recover from. The common question on forums has changed from "What strategy can I use to beat this boss?" to "What is the most efficient way to get XP/gold per hour?". Gameplay has suffered for it.

2: Cash Shop being thrown at you all the time. Many games are attempting to get you to spend more money then a sub would cost to access what should be core gameplay. The genre is worse because of it.

3: Coop multiplayer content being non existent. Most games design so that solo is a far superior path to playing that many would be groupers realize that playing solo is more efficient and pushes away people from grouping that would otherwise group. I had so much fun in various MMOs doing groups and I met lots of awesome people some of which I still contact today. The game design for this is particularly bad for this in early levels/gameplay. In fact the design that pushes end game content into forced grouping while basically none of it being used while leveling causes a dramatic shift in gameplay. Soloers never want to play endgame and groupers almost want to play exclusively endgame in many MMOs.....this is bad design.

4: Grinds on similar content to extend gameplay. Kill 10 rats. Now kill 50 rats. Now kill 500 rats. Now kill 50,000 rats. This is even worse when combined with 2....giving a cash shop option to sidestep the grind.

5: Lack of reasons to care about the environment around you.

• grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,162

1) Lack of group centric MMORPG's

I have FFXI as my all time favorite MMORPG of all time. The mob difficulty and the importance of party dynamics put an edge to combat that I have yet to see in any MMORPG since. I long for the day I can play in an mmo with dedicated holy trinity system with little regard for solo play.

2)Smash and grab MMORPG releases

So many promising IP's have been trashed by greedy developers just out to make a quick buck. DDO was so heavily instanced that it could hardly be called an MMO and deviated too much from standard ruleset. The game should never have been made in real time. STO was completely dumbed down from it's original vision. AOC was well.....unfinished.

3)Blending of PVP and PVE

When games have both PVE and PVP it eventually leads to a complete balancing mess that ultimately ends up with a mix of classes so numerically similar that the game might as well have 1 class and be done with it. True holy trinity is the only way to balance this.

4)F2P/Cash shop

The majority of F2P games are F2P because they simply are not good enough for a monthly fee. The people praising F2P only harm the genre by making microtransactions an acceptable practice. There are a few exceptions but it still remains the rule.

5)Click to move MMORPG's

I like my mouse more than any MMORPG. Having to replace it because I played a godawful clickfest is not in my best interest.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Junk Loot - loot that serves no purpose other than to sell to a vendor.

Killer-Only progression - I feel that a player's path to being the perfect seamstress shouldn't be blocked or walled by the number of creatures they have murdered. 

Static Worlds - most MMOs are stuck in time. ex: The world, cities and political landscape of WOW has not changed since 2003. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• zekeofevzekeofev Member UncommonPosts: 240
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

again, lets not use vague answers like Themepark, or Sandbox, or X clone, nothing like that for sake of this discussion.

I will start. with my own list of things that I am simply tired and feed-up with in the MMORPG genre in general.

1)Tired of Character Levels:
    in most themepark MMOs they tend to use character level concept.  And usually this has forms of restriction such as zones that are restricted to a certain level requirement due to speedy mobs that can 1shot you. Or the character levels prevent me from playing certain content features in whatever order I want to. Sometimes I cant even play PvP with my friends because my character level tells me I cant enter that Battleground, etc. Tired of this. Sandbox MMOs on many occasions dont have a character level system, but a replacement. this allow players to venture and make their own journey in the game world. But usually these games have a form of PvP called Free For All, which tend to draw asshats that want to ruin the game for others. For once, can a themepark MMO do away with levels and the on rail zone paths and other level restrictions?

2) Free For All PvP:
    Like I mention above, the games that do have the free form for world exploration and journey making, tend to always have the FFA PvP that ruins it. I would once and for all just like to get rid of FFA PvP and stick to faction PvP. tired of FFA PvP ruining every interesting sandbox game I was interested in.

3) Arena PvP:
    This may been cool the first few times I tried it, but after awhile I realized just how much small scale kill battles like Arena exploits the uniqueness of classes. The same reason Duels in MMOs with classes can never be balanced, is the same exact reason small scale Arena battles cant be balance (without destroying class uniqueness. ) and class uniqueness is one of the important parts of my character to me.

4) Instanced Large group content always have to be hardest difficulty:
    Another thing I am tired of, is how in every MMO with instanced raids, the content is always made for the higher difficulty content list. For once, how about we get some instanced large group content, that share the same diffuclty as the 5 man party dungeons. Matter of fact, I wouldnt even mind if 5 player party dungeons had a 10 player mode that added big more HP and more mobs to each pull so we can fight through on a more simpler focus. I like the party dungeon's difficulty and reward structure, I just dont like the 5 party member structure. And it just seems like new MMOs are making the party dungeons group size smaller and smaller to the point we going to simply have solo dungeons. What intimidates most people from Raids are the difficulty, not the numbers of members in the group. For once I would like developers to realize this. have both Hard raids, and simple party dungeon difficulty raids group instanced dungeons. This helps people get comfortable with the idea of raid organization for when they ready to make that leap into hardcore raids.

5)Mob Tagging:
    Seriously, can we just get rid of this concept already? its an old concept, that is long overdue for a burial. It makes people very uncomfortable when it comes to helping others out. I cant tell you the number of times I been taunted in games with mob tag, simply because I was trying to help another player out who I saw being attacked by mobs. They assume I was trying "ninja" their kill. This is just not cool.  I understand why the system was originally in place, to prevent people from tagging and AFKing while others kill the mobs. But thats why you should start rewarding players on contribution, not the tag itself.

1: I like systems that are other than character levels but levels are find for what they do. They also let you feel like your character is getting much stronger through gameplay.....otherwise you need to have a flat system where you do not actually get that much stronger.

2: Not a huge fan of FFA pvp either so I like it with certain rules. I like the way EVE does it so that FFA pvp is mostly not present in high security space but is very common elsewhere. Thus you can tune your risk versus reward the way you want.

3: I disagree and really like arena based pvp because it is an even fight which is rare in battleground or FFA versions of PVP. I think the way it is implemented though is often fairly boring but I think that is specific design and not the concept though.

4: I agree with the problem but not your solution. See my post. I would prefer more group content in lower levels and would also like to see solo options for endgame.

5 Contribution has always been a problem for support/tank/healer roles relative to damage. If I am in the world as a support class (such as a bard, that does less damage) and a dps class decides to kill whatever I target will I ever get loot? How about as a healer? Mob tagging stops these problems. Not that I dislike other designs but most changes do not stop all of the problems that mob tagging fix.

• angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,258
    Daily Quests and 3 hour end game raids.
  • sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985

Games About War - I was sad that "war" got the most votes in the "atmosphere" pair of questions in my survey. :(  If it wouldn't eliminate 80% of RPGs I would be blissfully happy to never play a game set during a war again.)  This excludes zombie survival games, which I don't think count as wars.

Games with no NPCs - A game world feels pretty dead to me when there aren't any NPCs living in it and telling you about the world through their dialogue.  (This excludes minigames, there's no real need for NPCs in match-3s, tetris clones, card solitaire, etc.)

Games with no clothing customization or player-constructed housing.  What's the point of living in a game's virtual world if you can't create a self-identity within that world?

Games with no world marketplace.  I really really hate player-shops or trading being restricted to in-person exchanges.

Horror-themed games.  I never liked horror to begin with, and trying to patiently tolerate the incursions of horror into my fantasy games has made me completely run out of patience with the genre.

I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • zzaxzzax Member UncommonPosts: 324

1) Factions and faction based pvp - I hate it with passion!

2) Level based progression

3) Quests - hate them even more than factions

4) Leveling + quests together - my worst nightmare

5) "Leveling zones"

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380

1. Classes

I want to play a character, not a class.  Please refer to Generic Universal Roleplaying System (GURPS) for how to do this correctly.  It's extremely easy to make a character in that game rather than just another class.

2. Levels

This could be lumped in with Classes really but I'm tired of people asking me what I play and I'm like "A level 80 Necromancer" or "A level 55 Consular".  I want to play a character and I want that character to have skills, hundreds of them, to choose from and when people ask me what I play, I can tell them that I'm "A 212 year old Dwarf who dishonored his family and subsequently moved to the human city of Westchestertonfieldville, where I now build houses from stone for wealthy citizens, but I'm also handy with an Axe if the town ever needs defending "

3. Tab Targeting

I'm so sick and tired of tab targeting.  It's so completely unrealistic, and no I don't give a flying farquad that it's a game.  I want at least some small semblance of realism rather than multiple layers upon layers of suspension of disbelief breaking idiocracy.  I want to push buttons that swing my weapons and I want to hit whatever is in front of me whether that's one guy or 20.  For a good example of combat done right, look no further than Age of Conan.

4. Feat Trees

Lets replace feat trees with skill trees.  Lets replace magic spells with spell colleges and each college has it's own "spell tree".  You can't throw a fireball until you can light a small flame and you can't shoot lightening from your fingertips until you can create sparks.

5.  Slotted Inventories

Yet another trope that carries over from themepark to themepark.  Let us have backpacks, pouches, bandoliers and whatever else we want.  Give those items a weight and size limit, then give equipment weights and sizes.

6.  Ammo

Sorry, couldn't let a list like this go without also mentioning ammo.  I believe that ammo should be required for anything ranged.  Want to shoot your bow?  Fine, carry arrows, oh and they have weight and size so carry them properly in a container designed to hold arrows.

Spells, except for the most simple spells in the spell tree, should have a component cost.  Don't have enough eye of newt?  Sorry, can't toss that fireball until you harvest or buy some more from another player.

• SomeHumanSomeHuman Member UncommonPosts: 560
    1. Quests- Objectives should be determined by things the player's want, not by what NPC's want.
    2. Solo-play - I want a game where teamwork is necessary to move forward.  No option for solo play.  Maybe solo crafting, but no solo progression through content or areas and such.
    3. Levels - I think skills and gear are enough.
    4. Boring Environments - They don't need to be vast, but add some mystery and dimension to what is there.  What ever happened to burning a bush to reveal a secret cave?
    5. Global Chat - I think it should be local (shout, say) range at most and tells.  We should be at the point where writing to communicate is completely obsolete.  If you are in range of someone, they should just be able to talk into their mic and you should be able to hear them or mute them etc.

Gaming since 1985; Online gaming since 1995; No End in Sight! My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8POVoJ8fdOseuJ4U1ZX-oA

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

I hate themepark WoW clones and I hate sandbox EVE clones.

Don't tell me what I can and can't answer. You aint the boss of me.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    I am tired of people that play these games whining about every new game, every old game, and every other game in between.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

1, f2p: companies resorting to adding cute hats and sun goggles (else buffs and powerups) so that they can pay the bills. Constant "SALE! BY 1500 POINTS AND GET AN ADDITIONAL 500 POINTS!" advertisments to get you to spend "something".

2, "questing". Having thousands of small meaningless errands aren't quests. I swear I spend more time running to and fro than actually fighting, exploring, discovering, creating and interacting.

3, making it so that the only way you can enter a place to help a friend or stranger is to be on the same "quest" part. Additionally, and more to the point, blocking off areas and getting messages such as "you need to have completed 'into the fray' in order to enter" or some such nonsense.

4, The idea of "end game".

5, Rude,selfish, spoiled players  (not to be confused with helpful nice "good community" players and we know they ARE there.)

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • CallinCallin Member Posts: 99

Static Classes. 

Like a poster above said something out of GURPS would be awesome. Or even just being able to train from different schools would be a breath of fresh air.

Factions

Done with it. Every single game seems to have em. 

Lack of Open World Group Content

Why does everything have to be instanced?

Instances

This day and age why?

Battlegrounds

UGH!

• TbauTbau Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 401

1. Classes.

In a genre that is supposed to be making games that last a long time, this limitation makes no sense at all. Let me play what I want to play and how I want to play it and you increase the chance of me staying longer. I played Asherons Call 1 on and off for 6 years because of this, not other MMO could hold me for half that. TSW even though the game really is average at best currently is the only game that may hold my attention just due to the massive amounts of possible combinations.

2. Stat based gear.

It creates a spiral of having to make bigger and better everything making more and more older content even more outdated. This, with #3 below is the downfall of so many MMOs. Worse yet, it creates a wall in the community in a way that is bad. Provide cosmetic items for the haves and have not's and let skill be the actual wall between them.

3. Levels.

Works fine with single player games, with MMOs its horrible. MMOs should be made to scale with the player so all of the game remains viable to play no matter how long you have been playing. It leaves more options, more things that you can still do and helps alleviate some pressure on the developers who have to try to keep up with content for players.

4. Themepark based PvP.

I despise developer led PvP, we shouldn't need a guiderail for it and sure don't need a carrot on a stick do it if its good. Give us a good story, good combat to use to fight against each other with and go away. if I want guiderail PvP I would play a FPS in some instanced map.

5. Worlds chopped into pieces

I never understood how a developer could think it would be better to create a world, chop it up into pieces and allow players to only play 1 part of it in a genre like this. Create your game world, let players play all of it. Its madness to think otherwise. If I am going to pay for a game, I expect to be able to play it all and no I don't believe making us create alt characters to play it is the same.

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

1. Generic crafting. Why can't we have some randomness to the crafting? Why can't crafting take some skill? Make it a mini-game or something.

2. No item decay.

3. Everyone is the savior of the world. Ugh. Just let us craft our stories, they are better anyways.

4. Developers taking all of the time to create a world that ends up empty because of levels, if everyone is just going to be at end-game in a month or two, spend more time on that and less on the starting zones that are left to rot after a few hours of game play.

5. Instanced PVP. Put the battlegrounds on the map. I'm sure a creative person could come up with solutions to zerging and faction balance without having to create an instance. Give a reason to have some strategy and smaller groups and the players will adapt.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Number 1: Fast Leveling
    Gaining levels in record time is boring. It shortens the journey of my characters significantly. I could not care any less about "end-game."

Number 2: Fast Gear Acquiring
    I rarely equip new gear I receive because in half an hour (or less), I will receive something even better. In an hour (or less), I'll receive something even better than what I got last half hour.

Number 3: Players
    This continuous race to the end is getting really old. Players just do not play games just to play games anymore.

Number 4: Quests
    Or should I say, chores. Quests should have meaning, other than doing some menial task some random NPC does not feel like doing. Why does that NPC even want 10 rat ears? What are they going to do with them?

Number 5: Random Loot Tables
    These have gone haywire. Opponents should drop what they use. Period. Teeth, claws, weapons and armor. If you want to get grizzly, make body parts loot-able. I am so tired of wolves with sword drops, rats with armor drops, and bunnies with money. When implemented properly, random loot tables can add variety to the game. Unfortunately, most opponents use the very similar random loot table, making things ridiculous.

I'm glad you capped us off at 5, Exposed. I still have about 10 features I could easily list :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077

Forced Grouping  

Forcing people to get anywhere in a game via grouping up with heathens (to call a group of trolls/ninjas/sociopaths nicely) is wrong at the gate. Forcing people to group to verify a game is a MMO, is also disingenuous.

If I like to fish/harvest/explore or climb virtual mountain tops, that's what I'm paying to play. If the devs don't want players to solo, don't make the content in the first place. Have it, don't gripe that 20+% will partake in it!

Homogenous Class Design  

One-size-fits all class design, that punishes pure classes or specific play styles (e.g., single-target or AoE player game play preferences). Don't turn 2 different class styles to be 1 class style.

It's not different creating 5 classes that resemble but 2. Stop being lazy and either make 4 classes like Battlefield and call it for what it is, or actually have 22 classes/sub-classes not try to claim 6 are 22!

Too Much Nerfing/Buffing to Justfy the Nth "Comfort Zone" Change  

Changing how class abilities/spells/combat arts are used as a method to quell boredom doesn't, it can be extremely frustrating when it occurs every 30 days, though.

Frustration =/= challenge. A challenge can be enjoyable. Frustration is what it is...a PITA change for change sake.

Player vs Player  

Any pure PvE MMORPGs left anymore? So gamers can play in peace without a hormone raging kid or mid-life crisis dude needing to be a sociopath online, as the purple pill isn't helping to get it up anymore!

Dropped Loot Being Superior to Crafted Gear  

If devs have tradeskills in a game, tradeskillers need to make the best gear. The raiders and all can bring their rare drops in for a tradeskiller to make their best gear; or they can sell their drops to tradeskillers. They'll still get their gear; tradeskillers are happy and the game economy is worthwhile to engage in. Win/Win.

• dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

Junk Loot - loot that serves no purpose other than to sell to a vendor.

Killer-Only progression - I feel that a player's path to being the perfect seamstress shouldn't be blocked or walled by the number of creatures they have murdered. 

Static Worlds - most MMOs are stuck in time. ex: The world, cities and political landscape of WOW has not changed since 2003. 

I agree with static worlds but well.. that's simply not true.

Several things gw2 fixed such as OP's mob tagging and stealing resource nodes (both of which are essentially the same). IE don't make other players presence aggrevating if I can't do anything about it (ie pvp).

Factions, more specifically hard coded factions with specific races on one side and specific races on another side and no possible way to ever switch or god forbid be neutral.

The story making you out to be "The one saviour of the universe" as if it's a singleplayer game.

A never ending requirement to upgrade gear.

• BoradinBoradin Member Posts: 27

Lack of wilderness

Everywhere there are npcs. I miss zones with no quests, no dungeons, just a vast wilderness. In UO, I got lost in a forest, took me hours to get out. 

Instance Travel

I used to know where I was by memorizing the landscape. Now I just open the map and press an icon. Sad. 

Non-lootable pvp corpses

If your going to carry that legendary sword into battle, I'm going to take it off your corpse. 

• FauneFaune Member Posts: 4

Non-existent Game Masters -  It happens far too often in almost every single MMORPG that I've played.  Where are the employees that should be enforcing the ToS?  It seems to be expected that the community of customers (meaning us as gamers paying for a service) report incidents that break these terms.  Far too often nothing gets done concerning these issues and you see the same people days, weeks and even months later continue to break the same terms.  This ranges from gold sellers to racist comments and even to verbal sexual abuse toward and even from minors.  It happens so often that minors (usually around the ages of 12 - 16) become a huge part of adult chats in games that claim to be 18+ only.  It can easily be said that it is up to the parents to control their children, but isn't it the responsibility of the company hosting said game to make an effort to enforce their own ToS?  As an adult female, it is a problem for me to have to deal with overly sexual comments in general in video games (join a guild and talk on vent/ts3/mumble or even on console games where you can verbally chat with other gamers and I'm sure you've heard it, had to experience it or even did it yourself)... but over half the time I am willing to bet these comments are made by boys no more than 16 years old.  What about the gold farmers and bots advertising websites to buy gold?  I feel this issue would be almost extinct if GM's would actually deal with it.  Having a game master involved in the in-game community a few hours a day should be part of someones job, at every company that hosts an MMORPG.  Personally, I don't feel this is asking for too much.  I feel this way because I am expected to follow the ToS of a game that I paid for... shouldn't they be expected to enforce those rules... after all, we are paying for what we are told to expect. 

Same Ol' Same Ol' -  I get why MMORPG's all seem to copy each other... from the classes to choose from, to the questing.  But what I don't get is why aren't these things being expanded upon more often?  Like a lot more often.  Sure, warriors, assassins, mages, archers and healers are great... but is that REALLY all there is?  I know that over the years games are starting to add things like gunners, necromancers and even summoners.  Is it asking too much for even more unique class options?  This goes for questing systems too.  As someone already pointed out, I don't want to go kill 50 poisonous frogs, then 100, then 5,000 and so on.  Nor do I want to take yet another love letter from Fred 10 feet over to Alice who ends up rejecting him (probably because he made a complete stranger walk the 10 feet over to her to ask).  Seriously Fred, do it your darn self.  Grinding is not fun, not one bit.  But video game creators, you are talented people... get those creative brains in gear and give us something new.  and I don't mean adding new dungeons, raising the level cap or adding yet another 'new' class that we have already experienced in the 10 games before yours.

I have more but I promised the bf I would get off the games and spend time with him tonight lol.  So with that, I bid you adieu.

• AdamaiAdamai Member UncommonPosts: 476

1 - sick to death with skill bars and skills on them. 

2- sick to death of grinding to level up so i can do the more meaningful stuff.

3- sick to death of weak game play

4- sick to death of linear hand holding

5- sick to death of clones lets face it they are all clones of wow and wow is just pants any one that says other wise has no idea what they are talking about.

6- sick to death of seeing games go free to play to please children and their empty wallets.

7- sick to death of the same type of game play in every single game available.

8- sick to death of mining nodes and linear crafting. its about time a de veloper put some heart into it. like swg !! 

9- sick to death of auction houses. the economy in games should be 100% player run.

10- sick to death on bind on equip and bind on aquire. if i dont like the results i wanna be able to sell that junk.

11- sick to death of instances and loading screens.. lotro doesnt have them!!! so why does every other mmo on the planet ??

12- sick to death with half hearted attempts to make games. they only seem to have one agenda these days, and thats to fleece people of their money for shit products.

13- sick and tired of themeparks in genral!! they are all exactly the same shit. choose a char! go grind missions till max level.. grind instances to get tokens to buy best gear !! then go pvp.. bah not even fun. its stupid.. you know exactly what end game is like before you even see it.  

its about time they made more games like eve online and swg.. open ended free form stuff is the way forward. people dont want their hands holding and being told what to do and where to go. they wanna make their own way!!! thats how eve works and 10 years later it just grows and grows.. not quickly but slowly. the game gets better every year.   no other mmo can claim that. not a single one. its testament to the power of a good development and their focus to customer satisfaction. and how they run their business model they are genuinely interested in the success of their own product. unlike other certain developers like blizzard and EA.. Bioware have fallen into that catogory too as well as cryptic.   games have gone back wards !!  in terms of content and functions.. sure they look really nice today !!! but oh my god.. nothing to do in the games. grind loot level pvp !!! boring as hell. f you haev done it once you have done it a thousand times. please no more stupid arse theme parks its ruined online gaming.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

I'm tired of wasted potential in mmorpgs. The thing I hate most is when the devs build a huuuge open world for their game, and then use it ONLY as a leveling stage to ultimately squeeze you into some tiny end-game content pockets as dungeons and pvp-instances. Almost every, if not every big budget mmorpg do this since WoW.

I want a true mmorpg that I can immerse my self in, a mmorpg that I can live and breath when I log in. Not one of these McDonald's mmorpgs where I'm supposed to sit in dungeon finders for the rest of my life farming for epics, with every expansion adding nothing more but bigger number on those same re-skinned items and dungeons.

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552

1)Getting to max level in weeks. Perfecting your characters in an RPG should take years if it's possible at all and gear is not a substitute for character development.

2)Action combat and babyish skill bars out of a console game. I want variety in how to build my character. Not just choosing a class and then getting the same 6 skills as everyone else who plays that class.

3) Games that don't even try to be worlds and don't care at all about immersion.

4) No political or social systems at all within games. All you do is kill waves of NPCs or kill waves of players in an instanced arena.

5) No sense of danger or sense of wonder.

Dishonorable mention 1: Leveling content being so easy a 5 year old could do it.

Dishonorable mention 2: Quest hubs: This design just needs to die.

• HothloveHothlove Member UncommonPosts: 126

WHEN i FIRST PLAYED wOw IN 2005 I wondered why do you get less exp when grouping.. And quest becomes a bore around lvl 40. It took longer to duo than solo back then.

Also 'elite mobs' that arent really elites.

No heirlooms in BG's

Mature MMO dont need to be about nudeness and other lame things.

More different kinds of loot like diablo games.

In fact I think they should make an MMO that is great like diablo but with like 20 acts instead of only 4. What I like about diablo games is the pace. You level alot faster than MMO's and you can die pretty fast if you screw around.  The 20 acts could be repeated forever with endless loot and ROG gear and epics, crafting and housing. The graphics should be way better than POE, something like Grim Dawn just more epic.