Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Player Housing announced for SWTOR.

Comments

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Originally posted by Gardavsshade

If we get anything more than half assed Cash Shop Player Housing I will be surprised.

I have a gut hunch the only reason SWTOR is getting PH is because of WildStar's Player Housing. The closer W* gets to release the more we are going to see EA try to re-make TOR to keep as many from jumping ship as possible, and some of the reaction may not be thought out too well.

On the Jedi Ship there still is no update to add the Crew Berths that would of course need to be there for the Companions... (even after all us filing bug reports and complaining about it for over 2 years).... if EAware can't manage to fix that I have no faith they will do Player Housing worth a $%^& either. Good Player Housing is as much "attention to detail" as anything else, and EAware falls short on that too often.

The problem with that logic is that Wildstar and TOR have almost nothing in common.  Why would any substantial number of the people who still find TOR appealing a couple years in leave for a game that has almost no similarities?

If anything, ESO is going to be a bigger threat than Wildstar, the main appeal of TOR is the story, and ESO does story almost as well (or better, depending on your taste) than TOR does.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907
    Originally posted by CazNeerg

If we get anything more than half assed Cash Shop Player Housing I will be surprised.

I have a gut hunch the only reason SWTOR is getting PH is because of WildStar's Player Housing. The closer W* gets to release the more we are going to see EA try to re-make TOR to keep as many from jumping ship as possible, and some of the reaction may not be thought out too well.

On the Jedi Ship there still is no update to add the Crew Berths that would of course need to be there for the Companions... (even after all us filing bug reports and complaining about it for over 2 years).... if EAware can't manage to fix that I have no faith they will do Player Housing worth a $%^& either. Good Player Housing is as much "attention to detail" as anything else, and EAware falls short on that too often.

The problem with that logic is that Wildstar and TOR have almost nothing in common.  Why would any substantial number of the people who still find TOR appealing a couple years in leave for a game that has almost no similarities?

If anything, ESO is going to be a bigger threat than Wildstar, the main appeal of TOR is the story, and ESO does story almost as well (or better, depending on your taste) than TOR does.

Two words: SciFi and Bots.

First, W* is a SciFi MMO, and some Players really do prefer SciFi over Fantasy for MMO content. TESO is not a SciFi MMO, not even close.

Second, Bots... of the Engineer. Not since SWG have we had a pet class in a SciFi MMO where we could command "droids", now we got W*. TOR has some classes with droids yes, but to me the classes that should have had the droids for companions are not the classes that got them. TESO has only vanity pets as far as I know, no real companions like we had in Skyrim, so no useful pets/bots.

Not to mention that as far as I know TESO has no Player Housing so how can TESO pull Players from TOR due to THAT?

Besides me voicing my lack of faith in EAware, my main point was that W* will have Player Housing, and probably much BETTER PH than EAware can put in TOR now, and that was what is going to pull some Players out of TOR.

I am a customer of SWTOR, so I am not just "blowing smoke" about a MMO I don't play... I am sick of most new content ending up as Cash Shop fodder in TOR, I am sick of simple mistakes not getting fixed, and I am ready to jump ship to W* as soon as possible, and even this "worm" of PH in TOR isn't enough to convince me to stay in TOR. Why? Because like everything else Player Housing in TOR will just be more Cash Shop fodder, maybe not initially, but it will progress to that quickly. That's how EA runs this MMO.

First, W* is a SciFi MMO, and some Players really do prefer SciFi over Fantasy for MMO content. TESO is not a SciFi MMO, not even close.

Second, Bots... of the Engineer. Not since SWG have we had a pet class in a SciFi MMO where we could command "droids", now we got W*. TOR has some classes with droids yes, but to me the classes that should have had the droids for companions are not the classes that got them.

Not to mention that as far as I know TESO has no Player Housing so how can TESO pull Players from TOR due to THAT?

Besides me voicing my lack of faith in EAware, my main point was that W* will have Player Housing, and probably much BETTER PH than EAware can put in TOR now, and that was what is going to pull some Players out of TOR.

I am a customer of SWTOR, so I am not just "blowing smoke" about a MMO I don't play... I am sick of most new content ending up as Cash Shop fodder in TOR, I am sick of simple mistakes not getting fixed, and I am ready to jump ship to W* as soon as possible, and even this "worm" of PH in TOR isn't enough to convince me to stay in TOR.

Do you seriously think that any substantial number of people who are still playing TOR at this point would leave if the housing ends up sucking, *because* it sucks?  Like you say, you are planning on jumping ship already, for reasons that have nothing to do with housing.  Doesn't exactly seem like this particular straw is going to be breaking too many camels' backs.

(And if we are being realistic about it, Star Wars isn't even science fiction, it's space fantasy.)

The Force shall free me.

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907

Second, Bots... of the Engineer. Not since SWG have we had a pet class in a SciFi MMO where we could command "droids", now we got W*. TOR has some classes with droids yes, but to me the classes that should have had the droids for companions are not the classes that got them.

I am a customer of SWTOR, so I am not just "blowing smoke" about a MMO I don't play... I am sick of most new content ending up as Cash Shop fodder in TOR, I am sick of simple mistakes not getting fixed, and I am ready to jump ship to W* as soon as possible, and even this "worm" of PH in TOR isn't enough to convince me to stay in TOR.

Do you seriously think that any substantial number of people who are still playing TOR at this point would leave if the housing ends up sucking, *because* it sucks?  Like you say, you are planning on jumping ship already, for reasons that have nothing to do with housing.  Doesn't exactly seem like this particular straw is going to be breaking too many camels' backs.

(And if we are being realistic about it, Star Wars isn't even science fiction, it's space fantasy.)

Substantial number? What is "substantial"? 10 to 20% of playerbase? Probably not that many would leave but some will for certain. You see some of us Players stay in TOR because it's Star Wars -ish and because it's SciFi, and we have had enough of the Cash Shop dominating most new content releases, sure many Players stay in TOR because they like the Cash Shop, they like the funding model, but not everyone does. Some us stay only until something better comes along.

And my main point is this: I doubt EAware could make a good Player Housing system even if they sincerely tried to. They can say what they want but I doubt they can deliver. I say that after watching how they made TOR in the first place, how they managed it since release, and how they treat not only their TOR customers but also their customers from their other games. I have no faith whatsoever that this Player Housing will meet the expectations and desires of most of the current Players.... and many of those will continue to play TOR even if they are not completely satisfied with the new Player Housing, but not all will stay. I do have faith in one thing.....that this new feature will be a Cash Shop nightmare however.

(If EAware could prove my opinion wrong and actually make a fantastic Player Housing expansion for TOR than I would eat my words and I challenge EAware to do just that!)

And when TOR's new PH doesn't meet some or more of the Player's desires then those Players might finally do what I have heard them threaten to do for 2 years now... they might just finally leave... and they might finally leave for a new MMO that is SciFi and that has a Player Housing system that was built into the game from day one, not tacked on 2 years later. For some this will "be the straw that broke the camel's back" moment.

How many will jump ship to a new MMO we shall see now won't we.... but if you're thinking EAware can hit a home run now... I don't share your enthusiasm. If you don't agree with me that's fine. This is my opinion after all and I can not guarantee it's correct 100%. No one can.

(and if we are going to really realistic about it not only Star Wars is space Fantasy, but so too is most SciFi now a days and so too is WildStar actually space fantasy. I just call both SciFi because that's how I refer to them.)

Substantial number? What is "substantial"? 10 to 20% of playerbase? Probably not that many would leave but some will for certain. You see some of us Players stay in TOR because it's Star Wars -ish and because it's SciFi, and we have had enough of the Cash Shop dominating most new content releases, sure many Players stay in TOR because they like the Cash Shop, they like the funding model, but not everyone does. Some us stay only until something better comes along.

How many will jump ship to a new MMO we shall see now won't we.... but if you're thinking EAware can hit a home run now... I don't share your enthusiasm. If you don't agree with me that's fine. This is my opinion after all and I can not guarantee it's correct 100%. No one can.

If we differentiate between cosmetic content and non-cosmetic content, it just isn't accurate to say the cash shop in any way dominates the non-cosmetic (real) content.  I've been continuously subscribed since launch.  Pretty much everything in the cash shop (for a subscriber) is cosmetic fluff, or can be obtained outside the cash shop, or both.  Speaking strictly in terms of what the cash shop offers for subscribers, it is extremely benign.  Can't speak to the free experience, because I have never bothered with it.

And it's not that I think they will hit a home run with their housing, it's that I think that how well they do the housing will have a minimal impact on player retention whether it's done well or poorly.  There might be a lot of people who buy Wildstar and play the included month, hell, I'm planning to.  But I just don't think there is enough there to actually keep the kind of player who honestly enjoys TOR around for any significant amount of time.  Every game has things it does well, and things it does poorly.  From what I have seen (speaking in terms of the PvE, since I have done zero research on PvP in Wildstar) Wildstar does do many things well, but it does not do any of the *same* things well that TOR does, so it is hard to imagine a lot of dedicated TOR players being pulled away by it.

ESO on the other hand, while not science fiction or space fantasy, manages to do almost everything TOR does a good job on as well or better than TOR does.  Yes, I know this is a housing thread, but you brought in the possibility of players leaving for Wildstar, which is a tangent worth responding to by pointing out that there are other things more likely to draw them away.

The Force shall free me.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by BadOrb

Yeah a 40 second video was shown on their twitch channel earlier. Cool news for those that want it. Now all I want are chat bubbles.

Key phrase being "for those that want it." I know of no one in game that was asking for this feature. The players that are into playing house will never be interested in a game like TOR so why waste the time and resources?

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

I agree with CazNeerg's comments - housing simply isn't going to make much difference either way. Although I can however see people leaving SWTOR for Wildstar simply because it is different.

I can see them going to ESO as well. Most people play a mix of games. And at some point people move on. Whether its a month or two years down the line they get bored or the people they game with leave or circumstances change.

And they have been leaving for at least the last 9 months - EA announcing sub revenue drops of 25%, 16%, 16% for the last 3 quarters with SWTOR cited as the sole or joint reason. (4 quarters ago BF3 results swamped the number - as BF4 will do next quarter). And declines happen in every game.

Will housing help - well it can't do any harm; will it stop the decline - well if everything they did last year didn't I don't see housing being any different. 

• PoisondwarfPoisondwarf Member UncommonPosts: 33

WOW player housing will definitely make me come back to this game. NOT!!

This game was one of the worse MMO's I had ever purchased and player housing will not change that.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by ktanner3

Yeah a 40 second video was shown on their twitch channel earlier. Cool news for those that want it. Now all I want are chat bubbles.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Key phrase being "for those that want it." I know of no one in game that was asking for this feature. The players that are into playing house will never be interested in a game like TOR so why waste the time and resources?

It's still one of the most requested features on the official boards, so even if it doesn't appeal to you and your friends - it is something people have been asking for since the game came out (and likely during beta).

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• DragimDragim Member UncommonPosts: 867

I wonder how much IRL money it will cost?

What do you guys think?  $30 for a plot.  $100 for the biggest house type.  Then maybe $5 upkeep every month?

Not sure if that is enough money for SWTOR.  #cashshop

I am entitled to my opinions, misspellings, and grammatical errors.

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Originally posted by MMOman101

Not a hater or a fanboy, but if they are going to do this they need to do it right.  To me that means:

Choice of planet.

Choice of style of house.

Customization.

Not all cash shop.

Since they have huge sections of planets that are not not available in game there should be no reason they cannot grow the worlds to accommodate a real housing system.

No half assing it please.

I read that someone data mined several house vendors locations, so it seems that hopefully #1 option should be there and #4 would be probably optional as I bet you will be able to get some options on CM. We do not have enough information for #2 and #3. Only time will tell.

Edit: I personally want a house on Dromund Kaas, Nar Shaddaa and maybe Corellia and Tattooine.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

Originally posted by Sevenstar61

Not a hater or a fanboy, but if they are going to do this they need to do it right.  To me that means:

Choice of planet.

Customization.

Not all cash shop.

Since they have huge sections of planets that are not not available in game there should be no reason they cannot grow the worlds to accommodate a real housing system.

I read that someone data mined several house vendors locations, so it seems that hopefully #1 option should be there and #4 would be probably optional as I bet you will be able to get some options on CM. We do not have enough information for #2 and #3. Only time will tell.

Edit: I personally want a house on Dromund Kaas, Nar Shaddaa and maybe Corellia and Tattooine.

Maybe Eric will be kind enough to give us some more info during the stream later today. *fingers crossed!*

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

Cheers,

BadOrb.

I liked playing SWTOR. My problem is that there was not many things to keep me coming back, and constantly playing it, but now this player housing is coming in it will certainly make me come back to the game, but for how long depends on its depth. However the devs stated around or before launch that this would not happen, but now it is. It now makes me wonder what else they plan on doing, and certainly kills my theory that the game is dead in the water. It also kills my idea that this is just a glorified single player game with multiplayer. Now with player housing SWTOR is now finally becoming a proper MMO, and losing the stigma of being a "single player" game.

If you are not interested in player housing it should be out of the way and you can avoid it, unlike SWG, but those that want it will keep game ticking along for longer.

Originally posted by superniceguy

Cheers,

BadOrb.

I liked playing SWTOR. My problem is that there was not many things to keep me coming back, and constantly playing it, but now this player housing is coming in it will certainly make me come back to the game, but for how long depends on its depth. However the devs stated around or before launch that this would not happen, but now it is. It now makes me wonder what else they plan on doing, and certainly kills my theory that the game is dead in the water. It also kills my idea that this is just a glorified single player game with multiplayer. Now with player housing SWTOR is now finally becoming a proper MMO, and losing the stigma of being a "single player" game.

If you are not interested in player housing it should be out of the way and you can avoid it, unlike SWG, but those that want it will keep game ticking along for longer.

They never said it wouldn't happen, they said it was far down on the list - but something they would like to do at some point. (James Ohlen mentioned it at the guild summit back in the day)

Clearly some priorities got shuffled around when all the other MMO's were getting housing and they were going to be one of the few that didn't have it. (I bet Warlords of Draenor influenced their decision)

They're also coming out with a new major storyline, that they said will reach an epic conclusion by the end of the year in case you're interested in story content.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Choice of planet.

Customization.

Not all cash shop.

Depends on what you mean by "grow the worlds".

If you mean, you want to be able to leave the starport, hop on your bike and seamlessly(no load screens) zoom on over to your house, that's pretty unlikely.

At best, you'll have to take a taxi to get there, which will take you to a "neighborhood(sharded)" instance where you'll have to take your bike to the right house.  And you might also have a port to take you there instantly, with a cooldown.

I say this because the actual game world for any of these planets has already been optimized to be loadable by any machine that meets their system req's.  An addition to the map that would easily accommodate anyone that wants to buy a house on that planet would be a MASSIVE upset to that optimization. 

So I figure it extremely unlikely that they'd do it, so I think houses will have a separate instance.  I also think it's extremely unlikely that they'll put everyone's house in the same instance, as that would also be impractical to the developer and the player.  With everyone's house in the same place(unlike SWG, where houses were sprawled all over the game map), it would take alot of travel time to get to your own place.

No... I think this is the most likely scenario:

You'll have a cool down port directly into your house.  Or you'll fly to that world, and take a taxi to get to the instance, which again, will take you directly to the interior of your house.

I know you want more.  I know I want more.  But there's not alot of reason to believe we'll get it.  Not dissing on the game; just saying it wasn't designed with open world housing in mind.

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791

Cheers,

BadOrb.

It will make quite a few players happy , especially the RP types. Now superniceguy is even turning back to SWTOR , so they must be doing something right. Not that I wan't to change supaniceguy's mind on this but I fail to see that player housing makes an MMO more of an MMO , I just don't see it.

I played an MMO for years ( see sig ) and it had a room to place your trophy's and trinkets in , some that where animated and lots of sonic based ones. You could also open a shop ( side room ) and sell whatever you had looted/crafted , that was all fine and dandy. SWTOR on the other hand has a GTN and has no need for a shop , so not really sure SWTOR really needs houses. I'm glad people are happy though , go for it!

For those that said if it's a static room like your ship then it won't be any good. Of course it won't be static what would be the point in doing that ? There was/is a problem with your personal starship's customisation , hence why they have chosen to make the player housing on the ground.

Do you seriously think that any substantial number of people who are still playing TOR at this point would leave if the housing ends up sucking, *because* it sucks?  Like you say, you are planning on jumping ship already, for reasons that have nothing to do with housing.  Doesn't exactly seem like this particular straw is going to be breaking too many camels' backs.

And my main point is this: I doubt EAware could make a good Player Housing system even if they sincerely tried to. They can say what they want but I doubt they can deliver. I say that after watching how they made TOR in the first place, how they managed it since release, and how they treat not only their TOR customers but also their customers from their other games. I have no faith whatsoever that this Player Housing will meet the expectations and desires of most of the current Players.... and many of those will continue to play TOR even if they are not completely satisfied with the new Player Housing, but not all will stay. I do have faith in one thing.....that this new feature will be a Cash Shop nightmare however.

(If EAware could prove my opinion wrong and actually make a fantastic Player Housing expansion for TOR than I would eat my words and I challenge EAware to do just that!)

And when TOR's new PH doesn't meet some or more of the Player's desires then those Players might finally do what I have heard them threaten to do for 2 years now... they might just finally leave... and they might finally leave for a new MMO that is SciFi and that has a Player Housing system that was built into the game from day one, not tacked on 2 years later. For some this will "be the straw that broke the camel's back" moment.

(and if we are going to really realistic about it not only Star Wars is space Fantasy, but so too is most SciFi now a days and so too is WildStar actually space fantasy. I just call both SciFi because that's how I refer to them.)

I don't see Wildstar as a sci-fi MMO and I to only play sci-fi MMO's , I thought it looked a lot like dragon's lair / space ace , weirdly I downloaded both the other day :).

I'm glad someone mentioned tacked on player housing , Wildstar's player housing was also tacked on a few months back , so no you are wrong that it has been planned since day 1.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• TbauTbau Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 401

if this is true, I cannot fathom why they would do this when the game is lacking in so many other things.

Housing is great in games that actually contain many RPing elements but this game lacks in even the basics. Perhaps the housing update will contain many of these missing things. I will wait and see before I slam it, or support it.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

Cheers,

BadOrb.

It will make quite a few players happy , especially the RP types. Now superniceguy is even turning back to SWTOR , so they must be doing something right. Not that I wan't to change supaniceguy's mind on this but I fail to see that player housing makes an MMO more of an MMO , I just don't see it.

I played an MMO for years ( see sig ) and it had a room to place your trophy's and trinkets in , some that where animated and lots of sonic based ones. You could also open a shop ( side room ) and sell whatever you had looted/crafted , that was all fine and dandy. SWTOR on the other hand has a GTN and has no need for a shop , so not really sure SWTOR really needs houses. I'm glad people are happy though , go for it!

I would not have called PSU a MMO either - it is no where in the same league as WOW, it did not get many updates to enhance / change the game (in fact I can not remember any except adding new different mission maps from existing content), and you could only go into missions with very few people. SWTOR is still limited too with its instancing but not as bad as PSU, but now with player housing it is getting updated / expanded upon as other MMOs do. If PSU did not have housing I doubt that would have been added to PSU, as the game was not designed to be changed in that manner, and until now I thought SWTOR was the same. It is not just housing that will make it seem like a MMO, but what else there is to come - If they can add housing to the game then they should be able to do more to the game too.

Basically it depends on your perception of what a MMO is, a typical MMO to me is like WOW, SWG, EQ, EQ2, LOTRO etc with big worlds to explore and getting updates that expand the game with more features. Flashpoints for example to me are like DLC in a console game - not really updates that add more to the game, and games like Battlefield 4 or GTA Online can be MMO with lots of players online, they are not a typical MMO but single player game with a multiplayer mode.

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791

Cheers,

BadOrb.

I would not have called PSU a MMO either - it is no where in the same league as WOW, it did not get many updates to enhance / change the game (in fact I can not remember any except adding new different mission maps from existing content), and you could only go into missions with very few people. SWTOR is still limited too with its instancing but not as bad as PSU, but now with player housing it is getting updated / expanded upon as other MMOs do. If PSU did not have housing I doubt that would have been added to PSU, as the game was not designed to be changed in that manner, and until now I thought SWTOR was the same. It is not just housing that will make it seem like a MMO, but what else there is to come - If they can add housing to the game then they should be able to do more to the game too.

Basically it depends on your perception of what a MMO is, a typical MMO to me is like WOW, SWG, EQ, EQ2, LOTRO etc with big worlds to explore and getting updates that expand the game with more features. Flashpoints for example to me are like DLC in a console game - not really updates that add more to the game, and games like Battlefield 4 or GTA Online can be MMO with lots of players online, they are not a typical MMO but single player game with a multiplayer mode.

PSU was more of an MMO than PSO2 is actually , even though I only played PSO2 for 3 weeks , it was obviously more like PSO . It had many updates and a huge boxed expansion , like all MMO's do. GO in missions with very few people ? It was 6 per party , that's more than a lot of missions in other MMO's and no not talking about 40 man raids or w/e. PSU was an advancement on PSO so player housing was on the list to add to it from early in it's conception.PSU's was very highly instanced ? you say , you had to travel through say a quest instance to get to new area's ( huge ) and at the start it was very tough to get there , but then they added quick travel type things , so after first getting somewhere you could then get back there at a later date. The housing in SWTOR shouldn't be too hard to implement , instanced apartments ? Pretty simple really , but we don't know what else might be involved , mini-game or w/e else. So it seems you thought SWTOR was going to be too hard to program further ? Bit of an odd thought process that really , the hero engine ( pre-alpha ) might be an ass to update / change / program but I'm sure it's downright easier than the Playstation 2 , for instance and as PSU was made on the PS2 first , then ported to PC and 360.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067

Oh wow cool I love housing am an addict to housing. I will decorate and go nuts.

Chamber of Chains
  • NotimeforbsNotimeforbs Member CommonPosts: 346
    Originally posted by orionblack
    Nice..just one more thing they will charge out the behind for on the CM...no thank you.

Exactly, yep.  When they decided to implement this, all they saw were dollar signs flashing on their screen.  It's a gold mine.  This is exactly why they will never fix or add anything in the game they cannot monetize.

Normally, I would be excited about this sort of feature, as I'm always interested in ways of world interaction and allowing yourself to express your character within that world.  But I can never be okay with development only catering to the fact that it can abuse the cash shop model.

• DeathmachinePTDeathmachinePT Member UncommonPosts: 119

Cheers,

BadOrb.

+1

I might give a try to SWTOR when they add chat bubbles and npc dogfighting for now, I will wait for other people to report the news about it, i just played the beta thought but was again disappointed seemed like a singleplayer kotor game but with worst graphics.

ASROCK Z97 E-ITX 
    Intel i7 4790k @ 4.5Ghz+KrakenX41
    Gigabyte 1070 8GB Mini OC
    16GB Crucial 1333mhz 1.3V
    SWG 8 Year Vet, WW2OL 8 Year Vet.
    Aka Darksparrow Rancorheart(tempest/farstar), Fxmkorp

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786
    Originally posted by Robsolf

Choice of planet.

Customization.

Not all cash shop.

Depends on what you mean by "grow the worlds".

If you mean, you want to be able to leave the starport, hop on your bike and seamlessly(no load screens) zoom on over to your house, that's pretty unlikely.

At best, you'll have to take a taxi to get there, which will take you to a "neighborhood(sharded)" instance where you'll have to take your bike to the right house.  And you might also have a port to take you there instantly, with a cooldown.

I say this because the actual game world for any of these planets has already been optimized to be loadable by any machine that meets their system req's.  An addition to the map that would easily accommodate anyone that wants to buy a house on that planet would be a MASSIVE upset to that optimization. 

So I figure it extremely unlikely that they'd do it, so I think houses will have a separate instance.  I also think it's extremely unlikely that they'll put everyone's house in the same instance, as that would also be impractical to the developer and the player.  With everyone's house in the same place(unlike SWG, where houses were sprawled all over the game map), it would take alot of travel time to get to your own place.

No... I think this is the most likely scenario:

You'll have a cool down port directly into your house.  Or you'll fly to that world, and take a taxi to get to the instance, which again, will take you directly to the interior of your house.

I know you want more.  I know I want more.  But there's not alot of reason to believe we'll get it.  Not dissing on the game; just saying it wasn't designed with open world housing in mind.

What I don't want to see is a door put where there was not one before and everyone walks through the same door to their house. That would be half ass as far as I am concerned.

I think it is reasonable for them to create an "instance" that grow with demand that looks like a neighborhood.  The area can be reached through a ship or a speeder.  IT does not matter all that much.  Just a devoted area to housing.  It should be easy to do right and it can grow as demand grows since I am sure it will be directly attached. 

I just don't want to see a door pop up and then bam!!!! we all get a condo, for real money.

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• EssedariusEssedarius Member UncommonPosts: 19
    The ship SHOULD have been the players house. It should have had move-able and customizable items and furniture. They should have made it more fluid to have friends and partys on your ship. They should have allowed players to buy different ships, larger ships, guild ships ect. Now we'll just have two un-interactive zones to stand alone in. image
  • NotimeforbsNotimeforbs Member CommonPosts: 346
    Originally posted by Essedarius
    The ship SHOULD have been the players house. It should have had move-able and customizable items and furniture. They should have made it more fluid to have friends and partys on your ship. They should have allowed players to buy different ships, larger ships, guild ships ect. Now we'll just have two un-interactive zones to stand alone in. image

Absolutely, true.  Personal ships and Space are at completely different odds with one another.