Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Time to kill off WoW and give us something NEW

Comments

• Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077
    Originally posted by CrazKanuk
    See!?!? They are doing new stuff! lol.

That type of "new stuff" is called fraud, though.

WoW isn't a F2P game, it costs a pretty penny to play. Ban notices without a warning that it's LUA errors causing the ban, can be seen as an underhand method to close accounts, and force players to buy ALL expansions again.

That is the definition of fraud.

And WoW recently had a ban wave.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910
    Originally posted by Kevyne-Shandris
    Originally posted by mbrodie
    Originally posted by Tibernicuspa

WoW has never EVER in its entire run offered anything new or unique.

Why should we kill it for doing what its been doing when that never seemed to bother people before?

lol what...

WoW streamlined questing, made a more accessable game to greater quantities of people, introduced tools that are considered to ruin communities and a slew of other things that people have come along and copied... that wasnt taken from ultima, muds, everquest, shadowbane etc...

oh and the one big thing they did that was new and unique was develop a warcraft game in MMORPG form, which to my knowledge no other company had previously done.

but clearly, they did nothing new EVER

This! If every MMO released today is a WoW clone, then what is WoW a clone of? That said, the biggest differentiation between WoW and other games is polish. You can't put a metric on it, but it's undeniable. 

it's so funny, people get so caught up in WoW hate they forget the small things like yeah it wasnt the first MMORPG but it definitely reinvented the wheel on some things and completely invented a heap of other things, blizzard is probably one of the only developers to embrace community addons to a point where if they see something that is super popular they make an effort to incorperate it into the game and as you said polish... everything is always gleaming.

Ah, Blizzard is now banning people with addons that just have errors.

Yep, you can lose your account permanently over LUA errors, now -- and they won't tell you until you get a ban notice.

Unfortunately, it's not true, so nothing new.  Some people who use HB were getting LUA errors, because hackers always double check their code to make sure it works, and those people were afraid they were going to get banned.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    Originally posted by mark2123

Yes WoW still has plenty of subscribers, but Blizzard are lazy in terms of what thet are giving out for our money.  WoW was very original ten or so years ago, but now, with the same graphics and each expansion just more of the same dungeons and mechanics, more fetch quests and very little innovation, isn't it time for Blizzard to do the decent thing and replace the game with something fresh and give the players something to move towards; a new level of game to gravitate to?

I used to be a WoW fanboy and I have owned all the expansions, but it's tired now, going through the same content again and again with new characters, or getting gear for it all to be replaced and starting over as soon as a patch comes out - which is no more that a re-iteration of what's gone before.

By simply churning out endless expansions for nothing more than cash i.e. if they cared, they'd sack it asap because they would have built a new, Next Gen MMO, it keeps the industry lazy.

There really is little or no innovation, just a different way of doing the same old thing.  Very few technologies change so little over 10 years than MMOs have.  Kill 10 of these and fetch 10 of those - that's essentially what we keep getting.

Come on Blizzard, you are the MMO giant.  Pull your socks up and do something new, instead of more tired expansions of the game that people are only playing out of habit, sentiment and a lack of real competition.

You are of course entitled to your opinion; however, you do not speak from everyone. Thank Jebus for that. There are some of us that still play WoW who have fallen in love with the IP. The lore, the stories, the characters, etc. For us, we want them to keep putting out expansions. I want The World of Warcraft. I want the characters and the world to continue to grow. I don't want a new "fresh" game with some bullshit IP that dies after a year or two. 

On to your remarks about the graphics and whatnot.. Blizzard has tweaked the graphics engine with each expansion. It appears to be a delicate balance between keeping the game accessible and keeping the visuals moving forward. I for one still find the game to be quite beautiful. That's just my opinion, and I completely understand if others don't share it. 

In addition... how can you honestly complain about an expansion that isn't even close to being out? We really don't know everything that is coming with WoD. We do know that the characters models are getting a much need bump, but I've also read of some other new technologies being used in rendering that will improve the overall look. 

It sounds to me that you are not sick of WoW as much as you're sick of the genre itself. There are somethings that all MMO's have in common that are unlikely to change. You could make the same complaints about most MMO's out today. As an example... I'm currently messing around in the Wildstar beta (I am currently sub'd to WoW btw). Can you tell me exactly what they're doing that is innovative and ground breaking? It's like WoW and GW2 had a baby. 

WoW isn't a F2P game, it costs a pretty penny to play. Ban notices without a warning that it's LUA errors causing the ban, can be seen as an underhand method to close accounts, and force players to buy ALL expansions again.

What on earth are you talking about? Could you please post something to back this up? I tried a search on Google for LUA error bans and am having a hard time finding anything. I have been playing WoW for 9 years and get TONS of errors from addons and have never been banned. As usual, my hunch is that there is something sneaky goings on where a player gets banned and blames it on something innocent. Standard operating procedure for Ne'er-do-wells. 

Originally posted by evilastro

McDonalds has been making Big Macs and cheeseburgers the same for decades now. I demand they shut down due to lack of innovation. Bit ridiculous isn't it?

The bottom line is that WoW is the best at what it does. It dominates its niche. It doesn't need to stop doing it until someone comes along and does it better. 

Luckily other developers have realised this and have stopped trying to get a piece of that pie, which is why we are seeing some sandbox MMOs heading our way finally.

You actually made me spit out vanilla macchiato with this statement. Since my drink was 1/3 of my WoW account per month (which appears to bankrupt some mmo players) I DEMAND RESTITUTION!!!

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

You know, it's all well and good to be tired of WoW and want something else.  But what's the reasoning behind having to "kill it off"?  Why do you feel you have to take away something that obviously lots of other people love in order to get what you want?

Especially when, as the second poster to the thread pointed out, you haven't revealed a single thing regarding what kind of game that would be.

Here's what I do when I get tired of an MMO:  I go play another one instead.  I'm sure you probably get tired of hearing that, but you hear it alot for a pretty good reason.

Originally posted by Havekk

What on earth are you talking about? Could you please post something to back this up? I tried a search on Google for LUA error bans and am having a hard time finding anything. I have been playing WoW for 9 years and get TONS of errors from addons and have never been banned. As usual, my hunch is that there is something sneaky goings on where a player gets banned and blames it on something innocent. Standard operating procedure for Ne'er-do-wells. 

My advice for you is: don't have many, because Blizzard can and has banned for LUA errors -- yes, errors.

They don't have to give an explanation.

They don't have to have proof.

They don't have to prove intent.

And 9 years of your licenses and play time they can just flush down the toilet on any whim.

Confident now?

• GemmaGemma Member UncommonPosts: 337
    Originally posted by Havekk

My advice for you is: don't have many, because Blizzard can and has banned for LUA errors -- yes, errors.

They don't have to give an explanation.

They don't have to have proof.

They don't have to prove intent.

And 9 years of your licenses and play time they can just flush down the toilet on any whim.

Confident now?

No, you still didn't give any proof that these bans actually happened because of LUA errors. 

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

if you keep paying they will keep you playing.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• LehoxLehox Member UncommonPosts: 19

Stop shitting on WoW already for game gods sake!

If you dont like that game play something other and dont shit over it no persons who plays it cares a tiny bit about what you got to say about it! Are you so bored in life that you need to waste time on complaining how a game works/is played? Get something new in your life then. Goddamn.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    [mod edit]
  • jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    [mod edit]

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

[mod edit]

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

Why should we kill it for doing what its been doing when that never seemed to bother people before?

Do you really believe that?  

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by RebelScum99

It's a pretty widely known fact.

Blizzard has never been known for innovation. Even before WoW. What few innovators the company did have, have long since left to work on their own projects; because they got tired of creating the same formulaic crap. Probably the most innovative thing Blizzard has done was create battle.net. Which is impressive, but again that team has long since left the company and is now being run by new people.

What Blizzard IS known for, is polish. They take other people's ideas, simplify them to the point of being for everybody, add some contrast & saturation, and tweak the crap outa the game until it runs smooth as butter. You can look at literally every game they've ever made, and see this same pattern over and over again. All you have to do is compare them to other games in the same genre that have been out before that time.

• mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,504

lol what...

WoW streamlined questing, made a more accessable game to greater quantities of people, introduced tools that are considered to ruin communities and a slew of other things that people have come along and copied... that wasnt taken from ultima, muds, everquest, shadowbane etc...

oh and the one big thing they did that was new and unique was develop a warcraft game in MMORPG form, which to my knowledge no other company had previously done.

This! If every MMO released today is a WoW clone, then what is WoW a clone of? That said, the biggest differentiation between WoW and other games is polish. You can't put a metric on it, but it's undeniable. 

it's so funny, people get so caught up in WoW hate they forget the small things like yeah it wasnt the first MMORPG but it definitely reinvented the wheel on some things and completely invented a heap of other things, blizzard is probably one of the only developers to embrace community addons to a point where if they see something that is super popular they make an effort to incorperate it into the game and as you said polish... everything is always gleaming.

Ah, Blizzard is now banning people with addons that just have errors.

Yep, you can lose your account permanently over LUA errors, now -- and they won't tell you until you get a ban notice.

bots often inject LUA via memory injection, LUA errors happen while botting too... and not everyone who claims they got banned for no reason is innocent.

• mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,504
    Originally posted by aesperus
    Originally posted by RebelScum99

It's a pretty widely known fact.

Blizzard has never been known for innovation. Even before WoW. What few innovators the company did have, have long since left to work on their own projects; because they got tired of creating the same formulaic crap. Probably the most innovative thing Blizzard has done was create battle.net. Which is impressive, but again that team has long since left the company and is now being run by new people.

What Blizzard IS known for, is polish. They take other people's ideas, simplify them to the point of being for everybody, add some contrast & saturation, and tweak the crap outa the game until it runs smooth as butter. You can look at literally every game they've ever made, and see this same pattern over and over again. All you have to do is compare them to other games in the same genre that have been out before that time.

they made Looking for raid (simplified raids that could be completed by 25 strangers) and flex raiding all raids that scale based on the amount of people doing it.. and to this day i'm pretty sure they're still one of the only gaming companies that offers variable version of the same raids.. not "some raids are 10 man and some raids are 20 man" all raids are 10, 25 and everything inbetween these days" thats kind of innovative in the sense that they did it first, they innovated the way the old system worked.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Blizzard should indeed do something new but I don't see why they have to kill Wow for that reason. Some pleyers still enjoy it so let them continue with that.

Besides, there is no guarantee that Blizzards next MMO will be a hit, past successes are no guarantee.

And frankly does it look pretty bad with Blizz next MMO for the next few years, rumors say that they scrapped Titan and started with it from the beginning and if that is true 2018 would be a best case scenario for a release. Even if it is not and Blizz still are working hard on it we would have heard more if it was to be released the next 2 years so don't expect anything soon.

Originally posted by Loke666

Blizzard should indeed do something new but I don't see why they have to kill Wow for that reason. Some pleyers still enjoy it so let them continue with that.

Besides, there is no guarantee that Blizzards next MMO will be a hit, past successes are no guarantee.

And frankly does it look pretty bad with Blizz next MMO for the next few years, rumors say that they scrapped Titan and started with it from the beginning and if that is true 2018 would be a best case scenario for a release. Even if it is not and Blizz still are working hard on it we would have heard more if it was to be released the next 2 years so don't expect anything soon.

Blizzard actually scrapes huge projects if it doesn't feel like it is 'good enough'.

Warcraft Adventures and Starcraft Ghosts are the two high profile ones.

They already have another massive new hit in Hearthstone and Blizzard All Stars so I think Blizz will do fine.

A 10 year MMO with 7.8 Million subs, gotta give props for that.

Gdemami -

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459

What are you on, again?
    It was 12 million before. How do you think they lost 5 million, again?
    How do you think they lost more players than they have kept, too?
    Arrogance meets reality, and it's a painful lesson.

....and by Blizzards own figures they have burned through 100,000,000 accounts in all the time it has been around in one guise or another, your point is?!?

Every game ebbs and flows, people join, people play, people leave, it is the great circle of gaming life, do you honestly believe that it was the same 12Mill and the exact same 7Mill left now that have always been there? Really?

As to your previous posts, the evidence was requested as they had performed their own searches to find some to back your claims and found nothing, so it is not an unreasonable request.

Either that or we all start along the same lines....for my part, i reckon that WoW actually has over 50Mill subs really and they are hiding the income from the rest so that they can pay for NASA to go up and paint a Blizzard logo on the moon....watch this space (or up in the sky)

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

Originally posted by Shadoed

As to your previous posts, the evidence was requested as they had performed their own searches to find some to back your claims and found nothing, so it is not an unreasonable request.

Either that or we all start along the same lines....for my part, i reckon that WoW actually has over 50Mill subs really and they are hiding the income from the rest so that they can pay for NASA to go up and paint a Blizzard logo on the moon....watch this space (or up in the sky)

Well, the evidence is there if folks looked closer enough. It's quite eyeopening. And I did what others did, randomly searched.

Some of the best things researchers find are just below the cruft that keeps randoms away. ;)

Years ago I was posting on the Usenet and encountered a newsgroup that was quite odd. They acted every bit criminal, and despite their denials and all, it was quite apparent they were doing some vile stuff. Flash forward a couple years later, sure enough 1 in that group is in jail over their criminal activities, and another was caught in a ring that implies exactly what is criminal. But their friends still protest their "innocence" (so I don't care about the peanut gallery heehawing, k?).

In 20 years, that has happened 4x now, with increasingly bigger fish in federal pen. I wonder why.

Well, the evidence is there if folks looked closer enough. It's quite eyeopening. And I did what others did, randomly searched.

Some of the best things researchers find are just below the cruft that keeps randoms away. ;)

Years ago I was posting on the Usenet and encountered a newsgroup that was quite odd. They acted every bit criminal, and despite their denials and all, it was quite apparent they were doing some vile stuff. Flash forward a couple years later, sure enough 1 in that group is in jail over their criminal activities, and another was caught in a ring that implies exactly what is criminal. But their friends still protest their "innocence" (so I don't care about the peanut gallery heehawing, k?).

In 20 years, that has happened 4x now, with increasingly bigger fish in federal pen. I wonder why.

According to this post, a federal crime and LUA exploits in WoW are related. Somehow.

By the magic of 'randomly searched evidence'.

LOLWUT? /Facepalm

Gdemami -

• fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865
    [mod edit]
  • TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199

lol what...

WoW streamlined questing not new, made a more accessable game to greater quantities of people not new, introduced tools that are considered to ruin communities and a slew of other things that people have come along and copied... that wasnt taken from ultima, muds, everquest, shadowbane etc... no, they were taken from other online games

You prove my point.

• evdaezevdaez Member UncommonPosts: 131
    If not for pvp and xmog i would have quit this game a long time ago lol. Not a fan of raiding tho.. the only pve i do is 5 mans with an occasional raid finder.