Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FFXIV over WoW...is it worth my time?

2

Comments

  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,959

    If you're sick of WoW, FFXIV is the best themepark game available right now, hands down. Plenty of endgame content (unless you're a content locust), an extremely deep crafting system which is useful all the way through endgame, a chocobo companion, guild housing, a decent story to play through, etc.

    It's $30 or less, and should very easily keep you occupied for a few months. It most certainly isn't 'dumbed down', as the bittervets on this site like to put it.

     

    AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

    We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

    #IStandWithVic

  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

    The economy is engaging.

    Graphics, sound, music are among the best in the genre.

    Crafting is probably the best in any mmo right now.

    The combat is slow until you hit the mid 40s which is not a very good game design imho. At level 40+, you get a lotof abilities that are not on the GCD which significantly picks up the pace and variety of combat. Before that, I found it tedious and dull.

    Im not a fan of dungeons, raids, and I skip the story. Im more interested in personal character development and immersion into the game world. This game offers that to me better than WoW did.

    Housing is very well done. The neighborhoods are good community builders. And you can craft most furniture and decor.

    I don't think the people who bash the economy and/or crafting really get the point of it in this game. Its not typical themepark self serving crafting. Its not get rich quick crafting. Its not best in slot endgame crafting. Its about making things for other crafters, for spirit bonding, for levemetes and provisioning quests. The economy reflects that. High ticket items are rare, but people seem to wish it was like that. You can make steady profit into the millions by keeping a keen eye on whats selling and whats not.

    I think a lot of people came into the this game expecting to make a sword and having someone pay them a billion gil for it. Unfortunately, there was some gil duping exploits when the game launched and thats pretty much how the economy worked until SE took out most of the duped gil. Now the economy is working more in line with how they wanted it and people are saying its broken because its not like it was. Fact is, it was broken and now it is working a lot more smoothly.

    SE is one of the only mmo devs I have seen who actively communicates about the game's economy and what they are doing to refine it in almost every dev interview, Q&A, and producer's letter since launch. People who think an economy is a one off pass/fail are clueless. It is constantly evolving and needs to be constantly monitored and tweaked when needed. Its also free of an RMT cash shop which is a bonus for anyone who likes a more player driven economy.

    I think WoW is a fantastic mmo for what it offers as well. To compare the two games is subjective at best simply because they play and feel differently. If you try to play one like the other, you will not like either which is what I am seeing a lot in these replies. Play each game to their strengths, and they are both amazing.

  • JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,973

    FFXIV-ARR is the best game I have ever played!  But that's because it has what I find good in a game:  

     

    Graphics.  PS3.  The old fashion way of targeting.  Rifts... *cough*... I mean Fates.  CUT SCENES make me vibrate with joy.  *CRAFTING*.  For me no lag and no instance wait even on off days.  Dungeon finder.  So far no World PvP - which makes it a PvE game in my book.  Box $8 - $40.  Only need one char so cheap sub option viable (tho I choose the $15 mo option for 8 chars on each world cause I'm a role player haters gonna hate).  Crysta payment (no credit card) and one month free - it's like a free trial.  Cheap for a top line mmo.

     

    I think I'm leveling to fast but that's probably because I was broke to mmo's on FFXI.  Quick leveling is not a game breaker - esp when you have so much you can do now.  My biggest COMPLAINT is the forums.  There are no good beginner forums for this game anywhere.  Just tiny forums, like this one, spreading our community thin.  The main forum, Lodestone, is off limits to most players not just the newbs.  Apparently high levels have been banned from forums (not game).

     

    ----

    There's no point in my telling you what World Of Warcraft is like.  Everyone already knows.



  • poyozopoyozo Member UncommonPosts: 33

    Gave FFXIV a real try and played for about 4-5 months. Got real bored of it. I remember falling asleep at the keyboard and thinking to my self, why am I even playing this?

    The big appeal for me was the fact that I could play with my brother and my GF cross platform with the PS3 since they didnt have PCs. That and the FF franchise, which I enjoy.

    I went back to wow. Much more content. Does everything FF does but better. Transmogrify is very fun and I love running old content to hunt for classic armors. The world is HUGE and there are no invisible walls anywhere and no loading screens and you can swim, unlike FFXIV.

  • ZhauricZhauric Member UncommonPosts: 292

    Honestly, it's worth your time seeing the cost of it. Just to get the experience for yourself since I always find that the best route. Now ignoring that, personally, probably not in my opinion. I am still playing it but it simply isn't grabbing me. I haven't played WoW in years but FFXIV has got so dull for me that I have actually contemplated returning to WoW or some other game just find some sort of entertainment. It's simply the same thing as everything else except that it is pretty. It's driving me nuts to be blunt. No class is grabbing me, the mechanics of the game are making me feel 'Ho-hum'  and so forth. I wish it wasn't the case since FFXI was my first MMO but I feel like I am forcing myself to play at this point.

    But, again, that is my personal feeling of the game. You should experience for yourself since it is a rather low cost to do so. Weigh the pros and cons and go from there. Don't go by which has more content because WoW will always have more than anything that comes out because it's old as hell. It's about if you enjoy the content available or not. FFXIV will hit with big updates I think every 2-3 months and they are usually good on churning out expansions.

  • Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

    It is on sale for $15 on steam right now including a free month so there really is no risk in trying it compared to going back to WoW atm. If you play the first month and hate it you spent the same you would have on WoW and can just switch.

  • Ryoshi1Ryoshi1 Member Posts: 139
    Yeah I'm wondering if I should get it on steam for fifteen tacos. Still undecided :D
  • Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

    I was in the same position and went ahead and bought it today. I'm only level 7 mind you so there is a lot of time for me to change my opinion but so far the game is just terrible. It is a clunky asian version of WoW with really obnoxious cut scenes where it looks like people are talking but there is no actual voice over which just looks creepy and the quest dialog is just way too long considering how empty the conversations are. The music is just awful, the combat is just like WoW so far (remember only lvl 7). The movement and animation is definitely sub par and the jumping is really bad, this has to impact the quality of PvP I'd think.

    I'm not going to fully judge the game until at least running a few dungeons and picking up a 2nd class etc but on day 1 of my personal venture I wish I had just spent my $15 on something else.

  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Originally posted by reeereee

    The difference between WoW and FFXIV is very simple.  FFXIV has much better graphics than WoW, and WoW has much better combat than FFXIV.

     

    Why is FFXIV's combat so bad?  For example in WoW for my dk the global cooldown is one second.   Figuring out what skill to use next in that one second and managing resources is really not that hard.  Now FFXIV has a 2.5 second gcd, that would have been fine if they had actually made the classes more complex... but they didn't in some cases the classes are even simpler than my WoW dk.  The problem is that your brain doesn't slow down simply because they increase the gcd, so in most cases people will be able to figure out what skill to use in well under a second which leads to a huge amount of dead time every time you want to use a skill and you're just stuck there spamming the same button over and over waiting for the skill to go off.

     

    Also people may tell you that FFXIV has better crafting, but this is facetious because WoW's crafting, while it doesn't have a minigame to go with it is far more useful and relevant to PvE and PvP because you actually need the item enhancement things crafters produce whereas in FFXIV ever interacting with crafted gear/items is completely optional and you can farm better gear than crafters can produce in the basic 4 person dungeons.

    I would disagree with this a lot with the combat. Wow's combat is extremely simplistic, just more 'twitchy'. Play a monk in FF14 and tell me that its easier then stuff in WoW cause I'll bet you it would blow away any dps difficulty in WoW, not only with the skill 'rotation' but also with positioning being a key factor. Wow raids... are lets face it quite a joke. Stuff is WAY to forgiving compared to say titan which is punishing if you fail on any mechanic to the point of potentially being knocked out of the fight for good. Wow.. "Oh no I stood in stuff and took damage... looks like I need to make the healer do some healing". I honestly feel vastly more rewarded in gameplay and combat in particular in FF14 then I do in WoW. The only time I ever felt really rewarding dpsing is wow was back in Wotlk playing Feral Druid DPs which was a blast and not due to being a twitchy spammy button masher like it is today but having to plan ahead and being less of rushing it and more about strategic planning.

    FF14 has a vastly better crafting system then wow (surprise for a new game beating and old one right?) but I'd echo the issue with crafting being somewhat trivial. There are some elements you will find important such as cooking for foods or alchemy for potions, but otherwise its not as huge of a factor unless your going for materia. Its something i think could easily be fixed up.

     

    For me, FF14 is easily the winner. WoW in its current state will highly disappoint old fans. Losing some depth and complexity and having work you do trivialized so quickly, it ruins a sense of accomplishment. FF14 has its flaws, haivng I feel a bad direction with loot and raiding (the wow style issue of trivializing gear you work for by making it pretty easy to earn) though at the same time it doesn't feel that hand holdy. Even fights that are pretty simply have that unforgiving edge that make it much more difficult and fun. Titan hard mode for me is the first boss fight to impress me since Akylios in Rift.

     

     

     


    Originally posted by poyozo I went back to wow. Much more content. 

    Curious, just how old is that strange WoW game your talking about? Oh wait its very old now and had plenty of time to add content! Well if content is king for you, why not play Everquest 1? That games got far more content if your going to use an old game vs new game for content it has!

     

    Silly Silly, never use content as a selling point, its pretty much an obvious issue new games will have and its stupid to expect them to bet out an old game.

     

  • Ryoshi1Ryoshi1 Member Posts: 139

    okok buying :D

    /bored

    /byeybyepizzaforaday

  • Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

    hit lvl 11 tonight and still not feeling it. Combat is downright sluggish compared to WoW, the graphics certainly are not any better. Most of the game is a carbon copy of it. I can't list a single positive about this game yet from the first 4 hours of play.

  • zevianzevian Member UncommonPosts: 403

    Its a real pretty game.   The job system seems deep upon inspection, The combat is okay it fits the game,   the dungeons are nice looking.   The crafting was pretty cool,   Leveling your first job is pretty engaging,   fates are coolish.

     

    Leveling your second job is a grind,  fates are cool but the flaw to the fate style system is as the game gets older less people are around to do the fates with making them harder and take longer.    You can perform their repeatable style quests to level,  but they get old pretty quick. You only have a few quests a hub, not nearly enough to do any decent leveling with without relying on leves or fates.

     

    Its a fun game, im not much of a max level raid raid raid type person,,, the journey the first time was awesome,  leveling up your subjobs so your effective in your mainjob is boring. ( I like the idea behind it but its a big ol grind for modern games).

     

    Overall it was worth a playthrough for me.   It doesnt have the staying power because as OP said i have all this time into WoW, why leave.

  • ArthasmArthasm Member UncommonPosts: 785
    Well, if we kill Garrosh on HC tonight, I'm pretty sure loot would be FFXIV digital CE. :) Planned to buy those days, but this -50% just came in right time. Anyhow, I don't see any other MMO to kill time until WoD is out.
  • nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862

    I think it's worth giving a try, especially since it's on sale on Steam.  It's a very story-centric game with very limited voice acting, so if you'd rather just click through dialog I can tell you right now the game won't be for you.  

     

    If the game can grow on you within the 30 day free trial period it might be worth sticking with, as I think you can get a feel for it within that time.  Otherwise, since you're so invested into WoW and a new expansion is slated to launch soon, it may make more sense to stick with that.

  • poyozopoyozo Member UncommonPosts: 33
    Originally posted by Purutzil
    Originally posted by reeereee

    The difference between WoW and FFXIV is very simple.  FFXIV has much better graphics than WoW, and WoW has much better combat than FFXIV.

     

    Why is FFXIV's combat so bad?  For example in WoW for my dk the global cooldown is one second.   Figuring out what skill to use next in that one second and managing resources is really not that hard.  Now FFXIV has a 2.5 second gcd, that would have been fine if they had actually made the classes more complex... but they didn't in some cases the classes are even simpler than my WoW dk.  The problem is that your brain doesn't slow down simply because they increase the gcd, so in most cases people will be able to figure out what skill to use in well under a second which leads to a huge amount of dead time every time you want to use a skill and you're just stuck there spamming the same button over and over waiting for the skill to go off.

     

    Also people may tell you that FFXIV has better crafting, but this is facetious because WoW's crafting, while it doesn't have a minigame to go with it is far more useful and relevant to PvE and PvP because you actually need the item enhancement things crafters produce whereas in FFXIV ever interacting with crafted gear/items is completely optional and you can farm better gear than crafters can produce in the basic 4 person dungeons.

    I would disagree with this a lot with the combat. Wow's combat is extremely simplistic, just more 'twitchy'. Play a monk in FF14 and tell me that its easier then stuff in WoW cause I'll bet you it would blow away any dps difficulty in WoW, not only with the skill 'rotation' but also with positioning being a key factor. Wow raids... are lets face it quite a joke. Stuff is WAY to forgiving compared to say titan which is punishing if you fail on any mechanic to the point of potentially being knocked out of the fight for good. Wow.. "Oh no I stood in stuff and took damage... looks like I need to make the healer do some healing". I honestly feel vastly more rewarded in gameplay and combat in particular in FF14 then I do in WoW. The only time I ever felt really rewarding dpsing is wow was back in Wotlk playing Feral Druid DPs which was a blast and not due to being a twitchy spammy button masher like it is today but having to plan ahead and being less of rushing it and more about strategic planning.

    FF14 has a vastly better crafting system then wow (surprise for a new game beating and old one right?) but I'd echo the issue with crafting being somewhat trivial. There are some elements you will find important such as cooking for foods or alchemy for potions, but otherwise its not as huge of a factor unless your going for materia. Its something i think could easily be fixed up.

     

    For me, FF14 is easily the winner. WoW in its current state will highly disappoint old fans. Losing some depth and complexity and having work you do trivialized so quickly, it ruins a sense of accomplishment. FF14 has its flaws, haivng I feel a bad direction with loot and raiding (the wow style issue of trivializing gear you work for by making it pretty easy to earn) though at the same time it doesn't feel that hand holdy. Even fights that are pretty simply have that unforgiving edge that make it much more difficult and fun. Titan hard mode for me is the first boss fight to impress me since Akylios in Rift.

     

     

     


    Originally posted by poyozo I went back to wow. Much more content. 

    Curious, just how old is that strange WoW game your talking about? Oh wait its very old now and had plenty of time to add content! Well if content is king for you, why not play Everquest 1? That games got far more content if your going to use an old game vs new game for content it has!

     

    Silly Silly, never use content as a selling point, its pretty much an obvious issue new games will have and its stupid to expect them to bet out an old game.

     

    It's a selling point for me if I care about it. And if the OP cares about it its a selling point for him too. So Shhhhhh. Also WoW content is extremely challenging when you are progression raiding. Denying it is just being obtuse. The only reason people die to fire in FF14 is because of the horrible .3 second lag inherent in the game when updating player positions. That and the world just plainly sucks, with invisible walls everywhere.

  • ShallowbornShallowborn Member Posts: 1
    Ill recomend FF over Wow. And as many and many people always says this game is copy of wow ... Wow copied all of his best things from other MMO games :P 
  • hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015

    i bought it yesterday to try it out and i did'nt like it at all.. my first 2 hours in game was just spent talking to various npc's... after that i got to kill some stuff but the combat was so sluggiish i allmost fell asleep. i admit i did'nt invest much time into the game but it did not appeal to me at all.. eventhough wow is a snoozefest this did'nt fare better.

     

    anyways as alot of people allready said try it out for yourself that really the only way you'll know if you'll like it or not.

    I had fun once, it was terrible.

  • ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670
    Originally posted by hallucigenocide

    i bought it yesterday to try it out and i did'nt like it at all.. my first 2 hours in game was just spent talking to various npc's... after that i got to kill some stuff but the combat was so sluggiish i allmost fell asleep. i admit i did'nt invest much time into the game but it did not appeal to me at all.. eventhough wow is a snoozefest this did'nt fare better.

     

    anyways as alot of people allready said try it out for yourself that really the only way you'll know if you'll like it or not.

    Don't judge the game until you get to the mid levels and start doing Ifrit story mode and some of the middle dungeons, for example, Brayflox's Longstop and Sunken Temple of Qarn.

     

    That's when people start to see the ramp up in difficulty.  If your party doesn't know the boss mechanics in either of those dungeons (especially Qarn), you will repeatedly wipe.

  • Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247


    Originally posted by drivendawn
    Originally posted by Ender4 hit lvl 11 tonight and still not feeling it. Combat is downright sluggish compared to WoW, the graphics certainly are not any better. Most of the game is a carbon copy of it. I can't list a single positive about this game yet from the first 4 hours of play.
    Sorry to here that but hey not every game is for every one.

    Yep I guess this one just isn't for me. Made it up to level 20 and just have no drive at all to play. D3 patch released and ESO beta this weekend probably killed any chance of me even playing out my free month. Just feels like a mediocre version of the same game I've been playing for 10 years now.

  • ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670
    Originally posted by Ender4

     


    Originally posted by drivendawn

    Originally posted by Ender4 hit lvl 11 tonight and still not feeling it. Combat is downright sluggish compared to WoW, the graphics certainly are not any better. Most of the game is a carbon copy of it. I can't list a single positive about this game yet from the first 4 hours of play.
    Sorry to here that but hey not every game is for every one.

     

    Yep I guess this one just isn't for me. Made it up to level 20 and just have no drive at all to play. D3 patch released and ESO beta this weekend probably killed any chance of me even playing out my free month. Just feels like a mediocre version of the same game I've been playing for 10 years now.

    The game offers a lot if your willing to go higher up the ladder... but I completely understand that if you don't like the game, you shouldn't force yourself to play it.

     

    All i can say is that lvl 1-30 is different than 30-50 and completely different from 50+.  Ther's 50+ casual content (CT, dungeons) and 50+ hardcore content (Coil, hard mode and Extreme Primals).

     

    I enjoy the raiding in this game and the end game encounters are very fun and challenging compared to the genre as a whole.  Some people say that WoW progression raiding is harder, I wouldn't know since I havn't played WoW in 4 years.  But, my static coil group has been trying Twintania (the last and hardest boss in the game currently) and we've only managed to get it down to 50%.  That's plenty of challenge for me... i don't need it to be any harder.

  • BluewhitehellBluewhitehell Member Posts: 66
    Originally posted by ZizouX
    Originally posted by Ender4

     


    Originally posted by drivendawn

    Originally posted by Ender4 hit lvl 11 tonight and still not feeling it. Combat is downright sluggish compared to WoW, the graphics certainly are not any better. Most of the game is a carbon copy of it. I can't list a single positive about this game yet from the first 4 hours of play.
    Sorry to here that but hey not every game is for every one.

     

    Yep I guess this one just isn't for me. Made it up to level 20 and just have no drive at all to play. D3 patch released and ESO beta this weekend probably killed any chance of me even playing out my free month. Just feels like a mediocre version of the same game I've been playing for 10 years now.

    The game offers a lot if your willing to go higher up the ladder... but I completely understand that if you don't like the game, you shouldn't force yourself to play it.

     

    All i can say is that lvl 1-30 is different than 30-50 and completely different from 50+.  Ther's 50+ casual content (CT, dungeons) and 50+ hardcore content (Coil, hard mode and Extreme Primals).

     

    I enjoy the raiding in this game and the end game encounters are very fun and challenging compared to the genre as a whole.  Some people say that WoW progression raiding is harder, I wouldn't know since I havn't played WoW in 4 years.  But, my static coil group has been trying Twintania (the last and hardest boss in the game currently) and we've only managed to get it down to 50%.  That's plenty of challenge for me... i don't need it to be any harder.

     

    The only difference between 1~30 and 30~50 is the dungeon difficulty. The game mechanics are mostly the same.....in dungeons you kill boss, dodge red circles, spam optimal rotations, and so on. In 30~50 you kill harder boss, dodge harder red circles, and your rotation gets longer. 30~50 doesn't change anything, just gets harder.

    If you're into other aspects of MMO that's more than kill fodder, dodge red circle, spam optimal rotations then you won't get much from this game. This game has PVP/housing/crafting but none of those aspects are done better than other titles.

     

     

     

  • AmargosaAmargosa Member Posts: 8

    FF11 and FF14 are both far more interesting and immersive to me compared to WoW. Still this is a subjective feeling.

    FF11 is now in its last age after Abyssea kinda broke the game from its basics. FF14 is still rather new after its re-launch but its fun and there aer many things already to do. The game is constantly growing with various side quests, activities and main quests.

    Look up videos on YouTube or if your willing for the gamble buy the game and get one month for free and see how you like it.

  • Colt47Colt47 Member UncommonPosts: 549
    Originally posted by hallucigenocide

    i bought it yesterday to try it out and i did'nt like it at all.. my first 2 hours in game was just spent talking to various npc's... after that i got to kill some stuff but the combat was so sluggiish i allmost fell asleep. i admit i did'nt invest much time into the game but it did not appeal to me at all.. eventhough wow is a snoozefest this did'nt fare better.

     

    anyways as alot of people allready said try it out for yourself that really the only way you'll know if you'll like it or not.

    Yeah, unfortunately they kind of shot themselves in the foot at the introduction stage of the game.  They just have too many blatant tutorial quests at the start of the game that force the player to run around in circles instead of doing anything interesting.  Players can generally explore and have fun looking around on their own, Square Enix.  I don't think anyone likes being put on a leash for ten to fifteen levels for personal amusement.

    The game does get better once you get past the first fifteen levels for whatever that is worth.  I think they might be unintentionally causing Final Fantasy XIII PTSD episodes in the fan-base with their antics. 

  • wandererchanwandererchan Member UncommonPosts: 17

    I have just unsubbed from ff 14 just like a week ago. Game is awesome to look at. But it biggest repetitive game I have ever played as mmo goes. Also gameplay is horrible. 2.5 gcd is bad and boring. Also boss fight mechanics revolves around instant death moves. Also all boss fights are a memory game. Learn pattern and you could sleep through fight then. PvP is also stupid bad to.

    Lacks end game content. What end-game content it has can be done in 2-3 hours. That all of turn 1-5, extreme mode fights and also a crystal tower run. Then all your myth points are capped by then. So then you have nothing to.

    I will say crafting system is awesome tho. Pointless tho for making money.

    I leveled 5 jobs to 50. 2 healers, 2 tanks and one dps class. and have decent gear on all them.

    However i re-upped to wow. Been having a blast. Plenty of stuff to do.

  • hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    Originally posted by Colt47
    Originally posted by hallucigenocide

    i bought it yesterday to try it out and i did'nt like it at all.. my first 2 hours in game was just spent talking to various npc's... after that i got to kill some stuff but the combat was so sluggiish i allmost fell asleep. i admit i did'nt invest much time into the game but it did not appeal to me at all.. eventhough wow is a snoozefest this did'nt fare better.

     

    anyways as alot of people allready said try it out for yourself that really the only way you'll know if you'll like it or not.

    Yeah, unfortunately they kind of shot themselves in the foot at the introduction stage of the game.  They just have too many blatant tutorial quests at the start of the game that force the player to run around in circles instead of doing anything interesting.  Players can generally explore and have fun looking around on their own, Square Enix.  I don't think anyone likes being put on a leash for ten to fifteen levels for personal amusement.

    The game does get better once you get past the first fifteen levels for whatever that is worth.  I think they might be unintentionally causing Final Fantasy XIII PTSD episodes in the fan-base with their antics. 

    gave it another shot and got through the tutorial mode(big downer) and i think i'm starting to enjoy it more now.. the combat is still slow as hell with the gcd but as i found out you can influence that with skill speed so i think i might invest some more time into it and see how it fares.

    I had fun once, it was terrible.

Sign In or Register to comment.