Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No Open World PVP or PvP Planned for EQ Landmark..YEA!

Athena_StarfireAthena_Starfire Member UncommonPosts: 213
 Subject
Open World PvP

Discussion Thread
 Response Via Email (TSR Stephanie B.) 03/04/2014 02:54 PM
Greetings AthenaStarfire,

Thank you for contacting Sony Online Entertainment. EQNL should not be PVP but this could change you can read more oabout the road map of the game here: https://forums.station.sony.com/eqnlandmark/index.php?threads/eqnl-roadmap.18810/ You do not need a forum account to look at this page. If you have any more questions or concerns, please let me know.

Regards,
Stephanie B
Senior Contact at SOE Account, Billing, and Technical Support

Comments

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

Team Service Representative Stephanie B. must have missed the part when Dave told us there was going to pvp. just a couple weeks ago.

• PigglesworthPigglesworth Member UncommonPosts: 260
    And the road map states PvP is coming.

@PigglesworthTWR on Twitter

Pigglesworth @ EQNForum.com, MMORPG.com, EQNextfans.com, ProjectNorrath.com, & EQNFanSite.com

Malcontent @ EQNexus.com & EQHammer.com

• Athena_StarfireAthena_Starfire Member UncommonPosts: 213

Open World Gank-fest PVP , Arena, Consensual PVP?

And are you sure it was about EQ LANDMARK and not EQ Next?

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Of course, there will not be open world PvP .  That is just a bad design decision since most players are more PvE oriented.  No doubt there will be some form of PvP but PvE players would not play a game where they would get constantly harrassed while trying to quest. 
  • AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    Originally posted by Athena_Starfire

Open World Gank-fest PVP , Arena, Consensual PVP?

And are you sure it was about EQ LANDMARK and not EQ Next?

What did you ask about PVP to get such a response?

Not sure why the TSR is even answering whatever question you asked as it is more for a dev to respond to.

But in the link you provided....

Phase Three – Everything after Phase Two

There are a LOT more systems to come after March. All the huge stuff like PvP, advanced combat, better AI, interesting physics features, plus a whole host of “possibles” and “must haves” that we’ll narrow in on as we get more of Phase 1 & 2 complete.

Dexella - Community Manager aka person that communicates important details to fans.

They haven't given any details as to what type of PVP either game will have yet. Just that they will both have it in some form. Could be servers with PVP rules, a flag system, PVP zones, player made arenas or other content, lots of options.

There have been very few OW "Gank-Fest" games and none of them have done well at all or for long, especially none in recent past from what I remember.

EVE is probably the closest thing to OW and it still has a lot of rules and restrictions in place and is not a fantasy mmorpg or building game and a poor comparison to EQN/LM.

Have no fear about PVP in either game. They have stressed that they want players to have "fun" by playing the way they want when they want. Which is a far cry away from "gank-fest". One even said they didn't want EQN to be "Gankquest" and that they had plans to make sure players weren't able to cause others to not enjoy themselves.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Just posted in the EQN forum, but I think Landmark is going to be more flagging/guild type stuff, could see a server/world with open pvp, but not sure if that would work well or not.

EQN - I think it will be more traditional, with server types, and you could probably add guild/flagging stuff.

They talked about being able to make scenario type things with destruction to have like guild fights and such, so we will see...But I don't see ffa pvp forced on everyone (I have played a lot of pvp servers/games, but I just don't see SoE doing that).  The most I think you would see is like a SWG flagging system, and even then they would probably offer a server/world without it.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Since every island of every server is freely traversable there is 0 reason not to have OWPvP on some of them. There's no lack of space. At present there are 5 servers with 39 islands each. There's room :)

Plus, even though the majority don't want OWPvP all the time the pool of those who choose to PvP on their own terms is a lot larger. This would be perfect in the case of Landmark because when you want to PvP you could just port to a PvP island.

Even having plots open to PvP has been mentioned by devs in the form of constructing battlegrounds.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Bad information is bad information and OP knows it. 

Twitter from Omeed. 3/16/14

Question - Greylockds3: Omeed if i could ask one question right now , to help re-leave some worries i have been seeing , though i have faith in Smedlys one tweet to me , and Doms post in the pre alpha forums , but in Landmark is the plan still to keep PVP consensual

Answer - Omeeddariani: greylock: yes. pvp will be opt-in or on claims. we're still working on the actual implementation (we might have pvp islands, for example).

Omeed is EQN:L Senior Brand Manager. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    bcbully

I think it's unfair to expect the rest of us not in the Twitter beta program to get tweets from the future. Stop bragging :)
  • seafirexseafirex Member UncommonPosts: 419
    edited
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Bah, forget it.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• BBPD766BBPD766 Member UncommonPosts: 98
    Originally posted by Boodar
    Well you're wrong on that. You obviously never played the previous everquest games. They will have pvp servers and pve servers which is how it should be no one wants to listen to pve noobs whining about pvp. Why anyone would pay monthly fees to just do pve is beyond me, get console and buy games and there you go all the pve you need and no monthly fee. I'll be waiting on launch day and will go str8 to a pvp server.

...Nor do the pve noobs want to listen to the pvp whiners about how other classes need to be nerfed after repeatedly getting face rolled on the class they chose; or for that matter, listen to them flexing their e-peen. In case you havent heard, there wont be a monthly fee. So now it wont be beyond you as to why ppl would pay to pve. Problem solved. Suggesting that the pve crowd play on consoles lends me to believe you obviously never played the previous everquest games either; when historically the number of pve servers and population on them has always outnumbered the number of pvp servers and their population. Seems to me they targeted the more popular market on the pc. Have fun on launch day heading straight to your server...the pve noobs will miss you.  No ....really.

• PigglesworthPigglesworth Member UncommonPosts: 260

Watch the Round Table Response Video #26 up yesterday.

The specifically state that PVP in Landmark with be opt-in on claims.

For a transcript, go to www.eqhammer.com/news/landmark-devs-say-show-us-how-you-grief

@PigglesworthTWR on Twitter

Pigglesworth @ EQNForum.com, MMORPG.com, EQNextfans.com, ProjectNorrath.com, & EQNFanSite.com

Malcontent @ EQNexus.com & EQHammer.com

• BeanpuieBeanpuie Member UncommonPosts: 812

still reading the link provided

anyone care to give some examples of  opt-in  opt-out  pvp?

whats the pros / cons of this sort of set up?

edit:  finished the video.

so more or less voluntarily destruction. ok, though i feel there is something more to this.

• amber-ramber-r Member Posts: 323
    So many people don't seem to realise that EQN and EQNL are totally different games.
  • Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Originally posted by Beanpuie
    still reading the link provided anyone care to give some examples of  opt-in  opt-out  pvp?whats the pros / cons of this sort of set up?  edit:  finished the video. so more or less voluntarily destruction. ok, though i feel there is something more to this.

Basically you can let people do as much or as little to your claim and to each other on your claim that you want to. I might set up my own little battleground on my claim and invite you over to fight on it with me. They also indicated they would add mobs and AI to the game so I could make my own little dungeon and you could go through it etc.

• kanechartkanechart Member UncommonPosts: 707
    Who was the idiot who wasted Account support time on this question anyways. Ban the idiot and lets close this thread down.

SNIP

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532
    Originally posted by bcbully

Bad information is bad information and OP knows it. 

Twitter from Omeed. 3/16/14

Question - Greylockds3: Omeed if i could ask one question right now , to help re-leave some worries i have been seeing , though i have faith in Smedlys one tweet to me , and Doms post in the pre alpha forums , but in Landmark is the plan still to keep PVP consensual

Answer - Omeeddariani: greylock: yes. pvp will be opt-in or on claims. we're still working on the actual implementation (we might have pvp islands, for example).

Omeed is EQN:L Senior Brand Manager. 

Basically that's what I figgered. No pvp as such in the "core" world - the persistent world shared by all. Claims and their linked instances, on the other hand, will have their own rulesets which might include PvP. However entering such spaces will be completely discretionary and therefore so will be PvP.

So, you won't get ganked unless you yourself decide to enter a bad neighbourhood. That being said, didn't Smed say, not that long ago, that they are putting a lot of effort (and hope probably) into PvP?

• Saxx0nSaxx0n PR/Brand Manager BitBox Ltd.Member UncommonPosts: 999
    EQNL is just a testbed beta for EQN systems and free asset generation via the EQNL playerbase.
  • AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    Originally posted by Saxx0n
    EQNL is just a testbed beta for EQN systems and free asset generation via the EQNL playerbase.

Seriously, do you really believe that or do you just want to see a reaction? Sometimes can't tell if people are serious in their narrow mindedness or just trolling.

Not sure how your comment added anything, but if it is "just" a testbed for EQN and we've been told EQN will make PVP important in some way, it is safe to assume that it will be so in Landmark as well, no?

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Originally posted by muffins89

Team Service Representative Stephanie B. must have missed the part when Dave told us there was going to pvp. just a couple weeks ago.

These guys...everytime you start to think this will be fun, they remind you that they are SOE

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"