Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I play rift again?

SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,416
Hi all I am wondering if I should give rift a try again, last time I played was back when the expansion first came out. Also I heard mixed reports on how pay2win its become, someone care to enlighten me?

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

Comments

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223
    Originally posted by Siveria
    Hi all I am wondering if I should give rift a try again, last time I played was back when the expansion first came out. Also I heard mixed reports on how pay2win its become, someone care to enlighten me?

Seeing as you haven't introduced yourself in your post in particular to what kind of game you like to play, it is difficult to answer your main question. Why did you leave the first time? Why are you thinking of coming back? What is it that might pull you back into playing this and how long do you think you would play it if you go for it again?

As far as the pay-to-win, I am guessing you mean the lockbox aspect of the store. I do not know what they offer in the lockboxes since I am not the sort of individual who buys those kinds of things (other than charity events I tend to only spend money on services or things like inventory and unlocks). I am having fun without them but I do not play games like Rift for the PvP aspect. The only kind of PvP I like is something like DAoC or WAR's realm vs.realm stuff.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Anyone who says Rift is pay to win is ignorant.  Rift is the best all around game I have played.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • BeastnBeastn Member UncommonPosts: 111
    Rift is a good theme park game with a ton of content and one of the best class systems in a mmo imo. And it's free...so, why not try it?
  • whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668
    Answer is more than simple, try it out. Costs nothing unless you get charged a month for limited bandwidth, then yeah, ponder it some more.  image
  • dasX82dasX82 Member UncommonPosts: 104

I never thought I would say this, but  so much variety in this game just make me piss me off. Rift is a good game, do not get me wrong and people that say about P2W are just ignorant, there is nothing in the shop that affecting your stats you can't get in game.

The only problem of Rift that is horribly unbalanced, 95% of player are just Cleric/Rouge in their variants. I think they dont care about it time ago becouse they think to add more talent tree to an unbalance class they put in this game.

Putting this aside is good if you stay away of PvP.

• PreythanPreythan Member Posts: 66
    Rift and being P2W is an outrage!  Seriously though, Rift has the best cash shop around that doesn't contain anything P2W.  I left WoW and played Rift from the betas up until about 6 months ago and I still log in from time to time currently.  The game is great with an awesome talent tree system and great content.  Definitely give Rift a go.
  • MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786
    If you liked it before you will probably like it now.  You should really ask why you quit before and if that issue is resolved.  Sometimes it has nothing to do with a game and is all about you.  If it has to do with the game, then that question is the better one to ask.

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

Rift pvp is balanced.
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,361
    Originally posted by dasX82
    The only problem of Rift that is horribly unbalanced, 95% of player are just Cleric/Rouge in their variants. I think they dont care about it time ago becouse they think to add more talent tree to an unbalance class they put in this game.

used to be a rogue/mage game what changed? Oo

• vipurrvipurr Member Posts: 13
    You can buy the best raid gear and upgrades for real Money$$$.  Lots of grinding.  The mounts they advertise is in a box for purchase.  Then the odds are against you on getting the mount and not the random other stuff in the box.  I have played Rift since the first alpha.  So I remember the game before Storm Legion which turned the game into grinding.  Remember this is just my personal opinion. 
  • mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,504
    i dont ge the point of threads like this, there is literally no monetary investment to jump back in and try it out and see what you think for yourself.. i dont understand the need to ask how a free to play game is, when you can literally jump in and play it, without even having to download the whole client as they have a streaming patcher... it seems it would be a lot more time effective to just try it out for yourself and see where it takes you.
  • mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,504
    Originally posted by vipurr
    You can buy the best raid gear and upgrades for real Money$$$.  Lots of grinding.  The mounts they advertise is in a box for purchase.  Then the odds are against you on getting the mount and not the random other stuff in the box.  I have played Rift since the first alpha.  So I remember the game before Storm Legion which turned the game into grinding.  Remember this is just my personal opinion. 

no you cant, you can buy entry level raid gear for real $$$ and to get a full set including weapons would cost you over $500USD, T2 stuff is not available in the cash shop (technically it is you can buy anything in the cash shop, but some items are blocked off from credits, so you actually need the frozen eclipse stones)... stop spreading your misinformation.

Ok Ok I forgot.  You will probably have to buy a mount but it only costs like 3$-5$.  And its only the high level one.  You can't expect any game to be completely free.  Every player should do their part at some point and put a few dollars into the game they like.  Yes the endgame grind takes forever but that's why they call it end game.  So many players complain about games with no endgame content and then you got a bunch of people complaining because there is endgame content.
  • MalviousMalvious Member UncommonPosts: 218
    Originally posted by vipurr

Your "opinion" is wrong. You cant buy the best raid gear in the shop. Stop talking bs.

Fine, we'll compromise. I'll get my way & you'll find a way to be okay with that.

• dasX82dasX82 Member UncommonPosts: 104
    Originally posted by filmoret
    Rift pvp is balanced.

Yes sure. One question for you sir. Why do you think there is no arena 1 vs 1, 2 vs 2 or even 3 vs 3?

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395
    Rift is the only game on the market that is literally f2p. I don't get it, but people should take advantage of it. Its a damn good game if you're not tired of the this type of game. 
  • AppokAppok Member Posts: 20

I tried to get into Rift and i just cant for some reason, I had this game since it first release and im off and on with it. 

I think it has something to do with a poorly optimized game engine, and the use of macros for skills.

CPU - i7 3770

GPU - GTX 760

16GB Ram

Win 7 x64

• primetheusprimetheus Member UncommonPosts: 28

I have reinstalled rift about 5 days ago I am and was a subbed player and even played a month into storm legion before i quit.

My first immpressions when going back the other day were well not much had changed but then i noticed a little lit icon telling me i had gifts to collect from the store.

I recieved my gifts nothing game breaking but i then decided to check out the other items on the store and my heart sank for those who say rift ISNT pay to win are blind the game offers end game gear lvl items for sale with real money these include weapons and armour and basicly most things ..how this cant be interpreted as pay to win i have no clue .

I installed the rift version of atlas loot to make sure i was correct and im afraid i was in many cases the purchased items were better than the first 2 lvl's of dungeon difficulty and and some as good as any in game gear .

I loved rift and had many many hours of fun and yes the game is still rift and therefore a good core game which many would love but haveing the cahs shop offer any lvl of item ugrades to buy without earning them in game is shamefull money grabbing at best .

This game is great but it is DEFINATLY now a pay to win game im afraid to say however you try to justify it

Ok I want to address three posts I saw.   You wonder why they don't have 1v1 or 3v3 arenas.  Well this question can be asked about every game on the market.  Why doesn't WOW have 300 player battlefields?  Why doesn't ESO have instanced pvp battles or 3v3 arenas?  Why doesn't 90% of the mmo market have instanced pvp battles? Although it makes perfect sense to the players for some reason developers don't have these in every game like they should.

Yes the game engine has problems and you need a really good computer for the huge pvp battles.

Ok macros are needed in Rift because you  got literally 30-40 spells you need to cast.  For example my main attack on my warrior has 10 skills linked to it.  It allows the player full control of his toon.

Pay to win.  Man you played the game for a few days and you saw entry level items for sale.  You cannot buy the best of anything from the rift store only entry level or second rate items.  Mounts are not pay to win they are just cosmetic.