Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EverQuest Next could be the first MMORPG to support the Oculus Rift

WarjinWarjin Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/25/5344984/everquest-next-oculus-rift-support-confirmed

In case you don't know what the Oculus Rift is .https://www.google.com/search?q=Oculus+Rift&oq=Oculus+Rift&aqs=chrome..69i57&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8#q=Oculus+Rift&tbas=0&tbm=vid

That being said, OMG, I will lose my job, girlfriend and life, I'm not sure if this is a good thing lol, but dam am I excited !

Comments

• TibbzTibbz Member UncommonPosts: 613
    tasty! 

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Occulus Rift for me is by far the most exciting technology on the horizon, especially if they can increase the consumer model due by the end of the year to even greater than 1080P. Regardless, having an MMO with that technology would be a dream come true, though I don't think it would be fair if you are playing with those that are not using it as I think someone using Occlus Rift would be at a huge disadvantage even if it is more fun.

There Is Always Hope!

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• irpugbossirpugboss Member UncommonPosts: 427

I am not sure how EQN will implement the Oculus Rift but unless they start adjusting character speed and 1st person perspective now it won't truly be an Oculus Rift game instead of a game which is Oculus Rift enabled.

The first fantasy MMO or CoRPG build from the ground up around the oculus rift (With decent mechanics, lore, etc) will definitely have initial success at least. That is also assuming Oculus Rift can get rid of the only negative thing I noticed by launch or version 2 of public launch...the screen door effect of low resolution which will turn alot of people off of it. Fortunately they are well aware of their resolution issue and working on a 4k resolution version.

On that note, IMO I would love to see a Oculus Rift game that is first person based around a darker theme of survival in densly packed settlements and hunting massive monsters out in the world in a team. Imagine going out into the field and seeing the true scale of a giant earth elemental, Dragon, Kraken, Demon or something like that and then having to take it down with a group of your friends.

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

It will never succeed. People don't even accept 3D glasses, do you really think they will put that...thing...on their head to play games? Don't be silly.

And don't forget that Smedley is a troll, he will say and do anything to sell his game even if it's not true. This is SoE's last chance before they go belly up.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by CalmOceans

It will never succeed. People don't even accept 3D glasses, do you really think they will put that...thing...on their head to play games? Don't be silly.

And don't forget that Smedley is a troll, he will say and do anything to sell his game even if it's not true. This is SoE's last chance before they go belly up.

Then there will be a lot of silly people. First, though 3D didn't catch on in home theaters, it didn't do all that bad in regular theaters. Second, wearing glasses to watch 3D in a movie wasn't a big evolutionary jump, especially since no one was really looking for that. However, virtual reality that immerses you is a big evolutionary jump completely changing one's experience...not to  mention it has many applications beyond gaming...so yea..I for one will be one of the silly ones while you look at your flat monitor. 

There Is Always Hope!

• TorcipTorcip Member UncommonPosts: 669

If all the Rift was about was being a 3d display then no, it wouldn't succeed.  But it's not just that, it's a virtual environment simulator.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by Phaserlight

No... it won't be:

Vendetta Online launched support for the Rift July 2013

https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5076#p69126

https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=2891#p38123

http://www.vendetta-online.com/x/msgboard/4/28234#342126

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meLPwWxjVRM

There's a big difference between an MMO space sim with RPG elements and a traditional MMORPG. Not trying to rain on your parade but if it had say EVE Valk was the first of its kind then you would've been right, as is though... can't really go first person with a ship, look down and see feet if you know what I mean.

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Originally posted by Dihoru
    Originally posted by Phaserlight

No... it won't be:

Vendetta Online launched support for the Rift July 2013

https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5076#p69126

https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=2891#p38123

http://www.vendetta-online.com/x/msgboard/4/28234#342126

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meLPwWxjVRM

There's a big difference between an MMO space sim with RPG elements and a traditional MMORPG. Not trying to rain on your parade but if it had say EVE Valk was the first of its kind then you would've been right, as is though... can't really go first person with a ship, look down and see feet if you know what I mean.

True, but VO is an MMORPG; it identifies as such right on the landing page, and holds many features quintessential to the genre.  If the article ran something like "first terrestrial MMORPG" I'd take no exception.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• WarjinWarjin Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

3d glasses suck thats why, but the rift is a different beast all together, the wave of future gaming is going to be on VR systems, Sony just came out with a new VR headset to watch TV.

VR will be the next big thing in entertanment, after that lets hope for Holodecks : ) and yes it can be done, it's not Sci Fi, is it posibale to covert energy into matter, this however will be the down fall of all sexual relationships lol, like who needs a nagging moral when we can have Cyber Cindy : )

• GrahorGrahor Member Posts: 828

>>Holodecks : ) and yes it can be done, it's not Sci Fi, is it posibale to covert energy into matter<<

Sometime you just need to post Pickard's facepalm...

"Holodecks" are pure "magic", it's not even sci-fi, and energy conversion doesn't help here.

It is a lot easier technically to splice into nerve endings matrix-style and create a virtual reality for people through transformation of the signals nerves send to the brain, personal perception of reality, rather than to transform the freakin reality.

Neither is going to happen any time soon.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by Grahor

>>Holodecks : ) and yes it can be done, it's not Sci Fi, is it posibale to covert energy into matter<<

"Holodecks" are pure "magic", it's not even sci-fi, and energy conversion doesn't help here.

It is a lot easier technically to splice into nerve endings matrix-style and create a virtual reality for people through transformation of the signals nerves send to the brain, personal perception of reality, rather than to transform the freakin reality.

Actually holodecks are not pure magic just highly impractical like some of the Star Trek gizmos.

• Force_FireForce_Fire Member Posts: 145

Soooo,

We are supposed to get a look at Sony's "NEW" VR Headset at GDC later this month. I wouldn't be surprised if they do an EQN demo with it. Also Smed mentioned another game. I guess they are calling H1Z1? Anyway, betting VR is going to be the new black when it comes to MMORPGs in the next few years. If you've ever demo'ed the Oculus, you'll know what I'm talking about. It turns a seemingly average and simple experience like, walking through the forest into something special. Could be cool if they don't get greedy and phone it in.

Honestly, They need some fresh, new feature to shake things up. Everything has just become so stale. This could be just the thing the industry needs.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

The technical papers regarding Star Trek are Greek to me, but it has something to do with controlled plasma, along with (of course) smoke and mirrors.  Meaning that what you see isn't real (duh), but when you get too close, it feels real.

Even magic is just an illusion :P

On-Topic:  the 3D TV glasses were shown to be harmful, especially in adolescent (still growing) eyes, with permanent damage.  I wonder what the ramifications of the Oculus Rift will be?  Hopefully it's not another Virtual Boy or R-Zone gimmick, with such disclaimers as may cause headaches, intense migranes, or loss of 20/20 vision.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• Force_FireForce_Fire Member Posts: 145
    Originally posted by Karteli

The technical papers regarding Star Trek are Greek to me, but it has something to do with controlled plasma, along with (of course) smoke and mirrors.  Meaning that what you see isn't real (duh), but when you get too close, it feels real.

Even magic is just an illusion :P

On-Topic:  the 3D TV glasses were shown to be harmful, especially in adolescent (still growing) eyes, with permanent damage.  I wonder what the ramifications of the Oculus Rift will be?  Hopefully it's not another Virtual Boy or R-Zone gimmick, with such disclaimers as may cause headaches, intense migranes, or loss of 20/20 vision.

Magic really isn't an illusion...It's science.

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    Originally posted by Karteli

I'm curious as well. I haven't looked in to it, but I wonder how eyes have been dealing with all the constant screens in our faces for the last 35+ years or so. No longer just work, now phones-tablets-giant tvs, etc. I believe we already don't blink or even breathe normally when gaming, typing, using whatever screen, scary to think what it will be like with a VR set strapped to my head with images being zapped into my eyes.

• DauntisDauntis Member UncommonPosts: 600
    oooo Oculus Rift, or as I like to call it The Neck Hurty Make Barfy Helmet!

Help support an artist and gamer who has lost his tools to create and play: http://www.gofundme.com/u63nzcgk

• BigdavoBigdavo Member UncommonPosts: 1,863
    I don't think I would ever use one of these ridiculous things. When I was younger I dreamed of VR for the ultimate gaming experience, now the idea repulses me.

O_o o_O