Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Editorial] Guild Wars 2: Is There a Better Way to Enjoy an MMO?

2»

Comments

• UgUgUgUgUgUg Member UncommonPosts: 81
    In reply to one person who said games seem to be designed to be powered through. That I believe is a reaction to please power gamers by games companies. Power gamers in rpgs are just vain people looking for bragging rights. They are alpha males or females who want to beat other people or just be the best they can and not experience the intricacies of a detailed mmorpg world. I don't know why these people don't just stick to multiplayer shoot em ups or beat em ups where its all about that bragging rights.

• yeah there is a better way to enjoy an MMO but GW2 isn't it.
  • WarWitchWarWitch Member UncommonPosts: 351

Put any group of men or boys together and they want to do something competitive even if the odds of them being the one to win are small. They are the big risk takers, ego boosters, etc ME First !

Put any group of girls or wemon together and they tend to weigh the odds and play it safe.

NPR did a big storie on this just a while back its kinda how we are wired.

According to Cosmo mag, however if a man find a girl he like he is happy. But When a girl find a guy she likes she wants to change him, mold him shape him.

Really the main thing is its your time, its a game have fun how u see fit. When dealing with mature people u probably wont change their minds at all. "All you have to choose is how you spend the time you have".

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Yes men and women are different but you cannot put all of them in one category.  Each of us has a right as an individual to be who we are.  You should not be trying to change the way your husband enjoys gaming and he shouldn't be messing with you.  If you want to game together then you gotta take turns, in one session you will be the lead on what you two will be doing and the next session you allow him to bring you into his world.  Don't criticize each other when its your night to be the follower support and enjoy that time together.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Guess I'm a blend of play styles, I'm a completionist, so I like to see all the content, and kill all the monsters, but at the same time during this past weekend's ESO beta I found myself clicking through the npcs chat conversations.

Some of the latter was due to the fact I felt rushed, having only 3 days to play, and certain goals of trying different style characters in that time.

Most of the tomed I definitely skimmed, especially if they were many pages.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• BaeloghBaelogh Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Some people wanted to know why William Wallace was waving his privates at the enemy troops. Some people just wanted to see Mel Gibson swingin' his sword.
  • kaorimorikaorimori Member Posts: 1

"Try as we might, we continue to wrangle over the question: whose approach is better?"

I have gamed together with my partner for 11 years.

We started out as an inseparable duo who enjoyed spending time together learning, sharing and exploring more than anything.

Nowadays we mostly do our own separate thing but offer free things to each other to help one another out and if we need help, we're always there for each other and don't mind if we're picked first or last considering other gaming company.

We each have our strengths/weaknesses, likes/dislikes, interests/disinterests, and we each get impatient and upset at different things at times because our experience is different from one another.

We do still have a lot in common while gaming. We generally like the same games with some expected exceptions. We both enjoy the social aspect of gaming though with how many hours he works in the office he appears to often not use the game as a 'social outlet' as much.

One of my pet peeves in gaming is that my some of my friends watch their in game chat very infrequently yet dislike using voice chat like Mumble/Vent/Teamspeak. Of course my partner and I can just turn to each other and talk whenever we want/need, but all of our conversation is kept from our groups and guilds and raids: and that makes my point about using voice chat - it's not an inclusive tool, so I don't use it unless I'm in a raid or PVP group, or in an exclusive group with a purpose, I guess you could say.

There are other limits encountered during gaming that I could have a good time discussing here I am sure.

But I will share this:

After all these years of gaming in MMORGP's I find that you really have to play the way you are wired to play in order to enjoy gaming and agree with your partner that you don't need to do 'everything' together and share every experience that each of you have. Considering how long my partner and I have been gaming, that could be compared to starting and owning a business with your wife/husband/partner, where a lot of things end up feeling like ritual, obligations and jobs.

But make no mistake, gaming with my partner has been an interesting, odd, fun, exciting, touching, endearing, frustrating, time consuming, awesome, unforgettable experience. And while I can often think of more meaningful ways to spend our time and have a much greater impact on the world and those who live in it with us, I can't think of many other activities that are as dynamic, where we could have as much fun and interaction, or where we could contribute more toward each others enjoyment.

Whatever your approach is, your approach is the right one for 'you' and your experience is going to be unique even if it is shared!

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Originally posted by Uthuk

I don't see a problem with either way personally.

That is one of the good things about these MMORPGs, if they are made good they support both ways to play.

The problem that are left is not the game, it's the persons playing :)

As long as the people of "opposing" ways of play are capable of ignoring their "right" way to play when they interact then it's not a problem. I always claim that you can only decide what you do so vote with your feet if you can't stomach how someone plays and leave to do somthingelse. It's only when you stay and try to convince the other part of what he/she is doing wrong that it becomes a huge problem.

I see a huge problem.  Developers have stopped developing their MMOs for the "RPG" crowed.  The crowd that wants a slow, relaxing play, because most players want action, action, and even more action.  And make it quick, too.

It's OK that players enjoy that style of play.  Unfortunately, MMOs were not that kind of game.  That is a console game feature where players can jump in, fight a lot, and jump back out in a matter of minutes.  Now, MMOs fit that bill to a tee, and left those players wanting a different kind of play out in the cold.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Originally posted by WarWitch

Put any group of men or boys together and they want to do something competitive even if the odds of them being the one to win are small. They are the big risk takers, ego boosters, etc ME First !

Put any group of girls or wemon together and they tend to weigh the odds and play it safe.

NPR did a big storie on this just a while back its kinda how we are wired.

According to Cosmo mag, however if a man find a girl he like he is happy. But When a girl find a guy she likes she wants to change him, mold him shape him.

Really the main thing is its your time, its a game have fun how u see fit. When dealing with mature people u probably wont change their minds at all. "All you have to choose is how you spend the time you have".

damn...  I guess I'm a woman...

Hey!  BOOBIES!

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• Sometimes I just blunder though things but I do like the 'fun' element and enjoying the backstory. It's kind of become the norm to 'beat' games instead of having fun. I guess to some their fun is to 'win' every time and any cost.

edit: and I'm an old guy (over 50!) who has some great stories about mmo's in their early days but hardly any from the last 10 years. I'm not sure what that means....