Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DPS of damage dealers way below tank

evdaezevdaez Member UncommonPosts: 131

Levelled from 80-90 purely through instance as prot pally tank. Queued up for RDF, went into an instance: Siege of niuzao

PT makeup: mm hunt, ret pally, destro lock, disc priest, prot pally. 

Pulled the first boss, wondered why was the boss hp moving down way tooo slowly. Asked for a recount and was horrified that as a tank i've had the most damage done. 

As a tank, im geared in all blues, no enchants or gems. I asked my party's damage dealer why is my damage more than theirs. They replied that they are still gearing up and this is why they dish out dps which is way lower than mine.

Well my question is... IS this purely normal pre 90 or isit a l2p issue? Its kinda funny to see lock/hunt topping bg charts but when it comes to pve.. my dps is more than theirs?

I proceed to download recount and monitor the dps of dmg dealers... I was kinda suprised too at the fact that on most of my run, only 1/5 times my i am in the position where i had the lowest dmg done. Isit because of vengeance buff?

Comments

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Dps scales poorly at the beginning of an expansion, also you are playing with players still learning evidently. dps dps dps, the obsession in wow is a poison.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• ArthasmArthasm Member UncommonPosts: 785

2 things:

1) Stats decrease - when you level up, your secondary stats are not scaling with level, they are lower and you need better gear/stats to get desirable number. If your dps had same gear 2-3 levels before, now their hit, spell hit, haste or expertise are lower and more chance for higher level mobs to miss/dodge/parry their attacks. Yes, this sucks and it's more noticeable in MoP then it was in Cata. In Cata raids done in MoP you could see sometimes level 85 with capped stats, reforged gear doing higher damage and dps than fresh new dungeon geared level 90. Good news - they get rid of them in WoD.

2) Vengeance for tanks. I'm so lazy, but you could search video of  level 80 paladin soloing a MOP raid boss thanks to vengeance (though, they put cap on it now).

• BoraellBoraell Member UncommonPosts: 97

Probably a combination of L2P and laziness, I saw it alot as I recently re-subbed (stopped playing mid cata) and got all my char's up to 90 ready for WoD (which actually looks playable so far!).

Its not just limited to dps though, seen some real shoddy tanking and healing, e.g. ran a dungeon with a shaman healer who was asking why he kept going out of mana, how he should be healing, what spells he should use.... basically his entire class.... I pasted the link to icy veins resto shammy page and his response... "wha fools got da time for dat, i aint reading any shit to play!"

• Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077
    Originally posted by sadWinds

As a tank, im geared in all blues, no enchants or gems.

Let's hope not only does WoD makes it that the Proving Grounds requires silver or higher for even heroic dungeons, that players also come fully gemmed and enchanted. Really no excuse in not even using green gems as they're priced at give away prices (as Jewellers level with them), and the green enchants just the same.

And a tank that is DPSing more than tanking is one of the problems healers have to face too many times, when they never used a mitigation CD, resulting in depleting all the healer's mana, too...all so he can beat the meters, when that isn't the tank's role.

• evdaezevdaez Member UncommonPosts: 131
    Originally posted by Kevyne-Shandris

Let's hope not only does WoD makes it that the Proving Grounds requires silver or higher for even heroic dungeons, that players also come fully gemmed and enchanted. Really no excuse in not even using green gems as they're priced at give away prices (as Jewellers level with them), and the green enchants just the same.

And a tank that is DPSing more than tanking is one of the problems healers have to face too many times, when they never used a mitigation CD, resulting in depleting all the healer's mana, too...all so he can beat the meters, when that isn't the tank's role.

Wanna heal me when im tanking? lol.. my locks standing there while hes getting stormed by boss..and he doesnt port.. there goes my hand of protection.. another dps takes dmg.. there goes my hand of sacrifice.. my shaman is using chain heal only while healing(no healing rain or w/e it is called).. switch to heal of insight.. eternal flame my ass off... guardian of ancient king...

oh shit.. my healths gonna drop below.. 20%.. ardent defender/divine protection.. and if(read below)

im getting topped of ... and i tink that the healer is doing his job.. healing.. why shouldnt i burned wings... switch to seal of truth and pop holy avenger..

Wanna heal me when im tanking? lol.. my locks standing there while hes getting stormed by boss..and he doesnt port.. there goes my hand of protection.. another dps takes dmg.. there goes my hand of sacrifice.. my shaman is using chain heal only while healing(no healing rain or w/e it is called).. switch to heal of insight.. eternal flame my ass off... guardian of ancient king...

oh shit.. my healths gonna drop below.. 20%.. ardent defender/divine protection.. and if(read below)

im getting topped of ... and i tink that the healer is doing his job.. healing.. why shouldnt i burned wings... switch to seal of truth and pop holy avenger..

The point is, if you're going to complain about different roles don't be that guy who takes the shortcuts and claim to be better.

Be the example, not the problem. Have sockets in your gear, gem it. Missing enchants, put them on. It's not like they cost a fortune. It shows the group you care to even be there for more than a goodie bag.

Dungeons Blizzard acknowledges are places where players can learn their roles. In WoD they're changing things where heroics players have to prove they can play their roles to even enter them. But until then, people will enter heroics still trying to figure out their classes. LFR is especially designed for that currently.

Want perfection, get your own group together. Want a fast group you don't have to spend 3hrs looking for others, you accept people that maybe but 1 day old as level 90 and it's their first WoW character.

• evdaezevdaez Member UncommonPosts: 131

The point is, if you're going to complain about different roles don't be that guy who takes the shortcuts and claim to be better.

Be the example, not the problem. Have sockets in your gear, gem it. Missing enchants, put them on. It's not like they cost a fortune. It shows the group you care to even be there for more than a goodie bag.

Dungeons Blizzard acknowledges are places where players can learn their roles. In WoD they're changing things where heroics players have to prove they can play their roles to even enter them. But until then, people will enter heroics still trying to figure out their classes. LFR is especially designed for that currently.

Want perfection, get your own group together. Want a fast group you don't have to spend 3hrs looking for others, you accept people that maybe but 1 day old as level 90 and it's their first WoW character.

Lol... I should have said "levelling from 80-89"... Anyways my prot pallys 89 now... So no point enchanting and gemming cause when i hit 90... im gonna get another set of gear. 

Like some of the posters above had mentioned.. maybe its a gear issue. So. I  will usually give em 2 bosses and a couple of trash packs to test out their dps before bailing out.. (if at least 2 damage dealers dish out dps way more than mine.. i'll stay) Afterall getting another que as tank is a matter of 2 mins.

I dont wanna sound like an asshole but if i que as a tank and somehow my dps are way higher, i'll be better of  q-in up as ret but well since its RDF.. its random.. so... i'll get random people with skills varying from both ends of the spectrum.

I dont wanna sound like an asshole but if i que as a tank and somehow my dps are way higher, i'll be better of  q-in up as ret but well since its RDF.. its random.. so... i'll get random people with skills varying from both ends of the spectrum.

Because you're not playing as a tank, but as DPS (a major problem in groups, and healers see it w-a-y too much). When a tank is bragging of his DPS numbers, he wasn't paying attention to his mitigation (especially when non-gemmed and non-enchanted).

It shows broken mechanics, tolerated because if players are frustrated they won't tank (little to brag about).

In Cata DKs for example were so stupid to play, I specifically leveled my tradeskill DK to 85 to do content (and I don't play tank/DPS characters, just level them for achieves or for tradeskillers). Not only could a DK heal for 1/2 of a dedicated healer, the damage he could do was outrageous. Walked into LFR not knowing a thing just to see how silly it got, walked out #8 on the DPS meters for my first raid ever on a tank/DPS class...and I've been but a dedicated healer for almost 5 years.

To me it's not much to brag about because if grandma who doesn't play anything, but a Holy paladin to any degree, can top the meters on a tradeskill tank/DPS toon, it truly isn't much to brag about.

It's called broken mechanics.