Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SotA Combat Revealed!

13»

Comments

• KarbleKarble Member UncommonPosts: 750

I can see quick select buttons changing based on conditions and skills/spells used.

They did this in Guildwars 2 to indicate secondary functions of several abilities.

There really wasn't anything random about it though. It was fairly predictable.

Not sure exactly how this would work if it was totally random though. Wouldn't seem

like anything that you could get better at over time with the exception of "Simon Says"

based reaction which doesn't sound like any natural flowing quality part of an RPG in

the modern AA or AAA scene. I could maybe see that sort of thing catching on big time

with a rythm game like the "Bit Trip" game series which is very simple and fun for what it is.

My hope is we have something closer to the traditional UO for combat.

8 circles of spells to use

lots of different weapons that are very effective when mastered

bow and arrow

potions

spell scrolls

int / strength / dex

poisons

bandages

skills were important to a build for battles

hiding

parry

spell resist

Animal taming

detect hidden

poisoning

healing

Basically a few talented players could cause alot of trouble for a large group back in the day in UO.

certain weapons could take away your movement quickly.

poison tipped weapons could cause death even after a person almost got away.

knowing when to hide and use detect hidden were important.

You don't have to get crazy with combat or try to invent new systems...the old ones were great and would work well in this

new land.

I always enjoyed seeing people use summoned pets or tamed dragons to fight with. So much epic fun there.

Here is to hoping they don't screw it up!

• InsaneMembraneInsaneMembrane Member Posts: 130
    Originally posted by superconducting
    Originally posted by golden.radish
    Originally posted by InsaneMembrane
    Originally posted by golden.radish

These constructive suggestions were all rejected or ignored.  All those threads are on the official forums to read, today.

Oh yeah? Link me to a dev comment where it said the community suggestions are rejected, cos I will blog about it if they have done that. But I haven't seen that going around.

Just a few of the official forum threads where this has happened, many times: (in one thread more than 15 suggestions were offered and then rejected outright, or ignored entirely with no response.)

Combat, Magic, Skills, Advancement (MEGA POST)

Let's talk about combat!

Starr Long Discusses Chaotic Aspects of SOTA Combat

Combat, Magic, Skills - No UI, No 'Deck' Proposal

Reply to Chris's Combat Description

---

happy reading.

Yeah... So much for "Crowdfunding" and hearing out the players. This is an absolute farce as far as I'm concerned.

The ridiculous combat system is a prime example of this dev team doing what they're doing regardless of how well it is received by the community.

I hope people rip the combat apart when release 4 comes.

BTW I did review all of those threads. Not once did I find a comment from a dev saying that they are ignoring our opinions. In fact in some of them and many of the new posts the devs are actively debating and  discussing the facts and information on the topics.  Y'all need to go read up there.  

• rildrild Member Posts: 5

I've been in the SotA community since Kickstarter, and I've never found the devs to be anything but accepting and open-minded about community suggestions. We have a very vocal community that is not hesitant to speak up when we disagree with the devs, and we frequently toss around all kinds of crazy ideas. I have seen Richard take suggestions from community members live in a video chat and toss them to the development team. It is a very fluid collaboration and I have been very impressed with the level of attention given to our opinions and ideas.

Forums can be confusing sometimes, and intimidating to newcomers, with multiple threads picking up and leaving off. If you're interested in more information, please don't hesitate to ask in a post as there are many helpful people on the site who are happy to answer questions.

We'd love to have you along on our adventure!!

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396

We want Innovation!

Exactly like it was at one snapshot in time, over ten years ago.

Otherwise.....Anathema!!

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    How about a limited deck, where players get to determine the makeup of the cards in the deck that can pop up on the tray?  And cards that can be developed by training, practice, or even drops (preferably relating the foe dropping it).

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.