Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Everyone playing Bosmer archer?!

JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849

I always have created the same character in all elder scrolls games, In Morrowind,Oblvion & Skyrim My character has always been a Bosmer archer/assasian/scumbag Thief named fuzzynuts. I Guess I thought I was something special or my character in offline Elder scrolls games was unique, Boy was I wrong..... To me Bosmer archer seemed a very POPULAR Choice in the last beta.

I am now having second thoughts as to whether I should roll this kind of toon. I like to be unique and different when I play MMO's since I am such a bore and lame ass in RL. I know many of you are going to say "Play whatever you will have the most fun with" and that would clearly be a Bosmer archer named fuzzynuts but I would much rather have this post/words of encouragement from other players who plan on rolling something other than a Bosmer archer.... 

• Aloha Mr Hand ! 

Comments

• HrothaHrotha Member UncommonPosts: 821
    Yes I see you are looking for likeminded players and I will also play a Woodelf Archer. Maybe a Khajit thief but I am looking forward to archery and stealth combat. Looks really solid from what I have seen so far.

• VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Khajiit Nightblade and Dunmer Dragonknight.
  • syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

Play what you want.  Don't change to/from something just because it is popular.  What is popular will get nerfed or re-balanced in MMOs.

Archery is one of six weapons, and is popular in any game if WoW's Hunter population is any decent indication of ranged, non-magic damage popularity.  Bosmer is one of three races you would have seen in the stress test.  You wouldn't see the other six if you started in a different area.  It might actually be that there are plenty of other races in other realms playing non-archer classes.

In a beta, people tend to try different things than their normal playstyle.  Knowing everything is going to be wiped means progress doesn't matter.  Only knowledge matters, and even that can change.

The Bosmer archer might not be as popular as you think.  Wait until you see official population statistics released by ESO or wait for a good UI mod to gather data before you judge if something is too popular or not.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

yeah bows are gonna be popular in general because you will have spell casters that use a bow as their secondary weapon to take advantage of their untapped stamina pool at range.

just like destruction staff will probably be a popular secondary weapon too among archer type characters.

so i wouldn't worry about it, you will be able to be unique based on the different skills you employ at any given time.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

I played a Bosmer Templar in the beta...

The fun part about Bosmers is that they have the best most diverse looking characters...   I could even make a Bosme rwith 2 small demon like horns on top of its forehead...

Bosmers rock...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by baphamet

yeah bows are gonna be popular in general because you will have spell casters that use a bow as their secondary weapon to take advantage of their untapped stamina pool at range.

just like destruction staff will probably be a popular secondary weapon too among archer type characters.

so i wouldn't worry about it, you will be able to be unique based on the different skills you employ at any given time.

I hope there are other stamina consuming damaging  abilities not related to a weapon or a classskill.... because otherwise i can not see any reason for min maxing sorcerer casters to not have  bow equiped...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• WBadgerWBadger Member RarePosts: 374

There's not going to be one combination that is unique, just one with a little less people playing it.  Bosmer Archer is popular due to the fact that archery has always been associated with wood elves (Note:  Legolas is enough to get a lot of people to play it.)  All in all, if you enjoy playing Bosmer Archer then play Bosmer Archer.

Me?  I'm playing a Khajiit Dragon Knight.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Originally posted by baphamet

I hope there are other stamina consuming damaging  abilities not related to a weapon or a classskill.... because otherwise i can not see any reason for min maxing sorcerer casters to not have  bow equiped...

The fighter's guild, werewolf and Aliiance War Assault abilities also use stamina instead of Magika. But in general, ranged abilities are biased toward magika use with only the bow and the three others named above being the exception. Ultimates, of course, use neither - they use their own "ultimate" resource pool... and some of those are ranged (e.g. Sorcerer's Negate Magic.)

And the standard left mouse button quick or charged attacks for any weapon including staves use neither magika nor stamina, It's the abilities in the weapon lines that use one or the other, not the standard attacks. So for default spamming ranged weapon attacks, bows and staves are of equal value.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• SaladheadSaladhead Member UncommonPosts: 6
    Funny, I was getting the impression that everyone was gonna roll a Khajiit Nightblade.  I've been noticing quite a lot of people announcing they're gonna play one since I tentatively decided to finally give a rogue-ish class a try this time around. Might  have to go with an Orc Nightblade eventually if I see too many of these running around. Got this feeling a Khajiit Nightblade might end up being the ESO equivalent of WoW's undead rogue.
  • rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

I'm in the same boat as you OP. Same play style throughout the SP series, but now that so many seem to be rolling stealthy ranged characters, I've decided to focus on anti-stealth, gap closing, lock down for PvP. Whatever you see the fotm doing, pick a natural counter tactic for it and become their bane.

• Raxxo82Raxxo82 Member UncommonPosts: 150
    Originally posted by rygard49

I'm in the same boat as you OP. Same play style throughout the SP series, but now that so many seem to be rolling stealthy ranged characters, I've decided to focus on anti-stealth, gap closing, lock down for PvP. Whatever you see the fotm doing, pick a natural counter tactic for it and become their bane.

Make a caster and put on Mage Light so people cant sneak up on you to easy, then go out and hunt scouts!

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

Evidence shows otherwise. NB has a slight lead with 29% but is more or less even with others. Bosmer is nowhere near the most picked.

http://tesocensus.info/?results

Pvp will always have certain builds preferred for certain play styles. I can only assume people think NB archers will be plentiful because of the recent videos released of solo gankers. 2-3 people post videos and suddenly millions are playing the same thing!

You stay sassy!

• Dirt3pzDirt3pz Member CommonPosts: 3

I must admit i kinda laughed when i read ''I thought I was something special or my character in offline Elder scrolls games was unique''

pointy ears with a bow? now where have i seen that before? oh thats right! EVERYWHERE...

----------------------------------------------------

i am personaly going to play one of these builds: 

Breton - arcane archer... a bursty sorcerer that uses the pasives of the bow, but none of the skills.

Draconian/Bosmer - shadow shaman... a nightblade battleground hybrid build that uses invis. (not 100% sure what direction i want to take this build)

i feel both builds will be semi-unique without breaking the lore. Im not a lore-lover, but i dont want to play something like a hyper inteligent orc or a super freindly night elf...

• darkheart84darkheart84 Member UncommonPosts: 84
    I wish hipsters would just go away. What is the point of being unique for the sake of being unique. If many people are like you, eel with it, you're not a special snowflake.
  • TondagonTondagon Member Posts: 19
    I played a Khajiit archer, totally living on the edge >.>
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Originally posted by darkheart84
    I wish hipsters would just go away. What is the point of being unique for the sake of being unique. If many people are like you, eel with it, you're not a special snowflake.

• Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• darkheart84darkheart84 Member UncommonPosts: 84
    Originally posted by Tamanous

Evidence shows otherwise. NB has a slight lead with 29% but is more or less even with others. Bosmer is nowhere near the most picked.

Pvp will always have certain builds preferred for certain play styles. I can only assume people think NB archers will be plentiful because of the recent videos released of solo gankers. 2-3 people post videos and suddenly millions are playing the same thing!

Character Gender - 70% male, 30% female

Player Gender - 87% male, 13% female

Every time

• AericynAericyn Member UncommonPosts: 394

Maybe you are simply sensitized to what interests you. Sort of like when you buy a Ford truck you start to notice many Ford trucks are around.

I've decided on a Breton Templar... or maybe Redguard... Bosmer, er um. Yikes! I'm gonna end up with alts. Also want a Khajit Dragonknight.

There will be a lot of Bosmer Archers, but a lot of everything else too. It is especially skewed during beta since each alliance only has 3 choices to begin with.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Tamanous

Every time

percentage of Female players with male avatars, 10%

and your point was exactly ?

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    Originally posted by Tondagon
    I played a Khajiit archer, totally living on the edge >.>

They get better racials for archery (which has pissed off lore lovers everywhere). Most archers will likely be Khajiit ... not Bosmer.

You stay sassy!

• Dirt3pzDirt3pz Member CommonPosts: 3

unique/special/not-just-the-avrage-cookie-cutter-build,... call it what you want...

there are many reasons why you would want to be unique... a few could be:

when i engage someone in pvp with a cookie/cutter build -i know what is comming... they on the other hand dont!

the chance of actualy being the ''inventor'' of a good build... -it wouldnt be the first time i have played a build that 6months later become popular... (good old feelingg of pride)

sometimes you meet challanges in the world that are easyer to overcome if you have focus on some of the less popular skills... (or in this case morphs) there is never a spell that is right in ALL situations...

----

now you can explain to me whats the good part of being like the 1million others just like you!? 

-why should i pick you instead of the guy next to you? what makes YOU special?

and yes i spell like a monkey on crack,... 

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Shit.  That's what I was gonna play.  
  • kinartkinart Member UncommonPosts: 127

Every time

Player Race - 100% Human

Character Race - 6% Argonian, 10% Dunmer, 14% Nord, 14% Altmer, 9% Bosmer, 12% Khajit, 12% Breton, 11% Orc, 9% Redguard, 7% Imperial

Player Class: 44% White collar worker, 56% Blue collar worker

Character Class: 27% Dragonknight, 23% Sorcerer, 29% Nightblade, 21% Templar

Newsflash: You don't play yourself in an RPG

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549

Bosmer Archer, Yup...... that's the plan!

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• PreparedPrepared Member UncommonPosts: 103
    Originally posted by thunderC

I always have created the same character in all elder scrolls games, In Morrowind,Oblvion & Skyrim My character has always been a Bosmer archer/assasian/scumbag Thief named fuzzynuts. I Guess I thought I was something special or my character in offline Elder scrolls games was unique, Boy was I wrong..... To me Bosmer archer seemed a very POPULAR Choice in the last beta.

I am now having second thoughts as to whether I should roll this kind of toon. I like to be unique and different when I play MMO's since I am such a bore and lame ass in RL. I know many of you are going to say "Play whatever you will have the most fun with" and that would clearly be a Bosmer archer named fuzzynuts but I would much rather have this post/words of encouragement from other players who plan on rolling something other than a Bosmer archer.... 

Interesting observation and reading.  I am planning to play a Bosmer Archer.  :)

The thing I'm not yet 100% decided is which Alliance I will play in since I have the option to play in any Alliance with the pre-purchased Imperial Edition.  I like the Aldmeri Dominion, but if I do that I won't be unique there because the Bosmer belongs with that Alliance.