Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] World of Warcraft: The Impact of WoW’s Instant Boost to Level Cap

Comments

• DisantiaDisantia Member UncommonPosts: 50
    The expansion the free boost comes with raises the cap to 100. So you don't get an instant max lvl toon. Its not a bad idea in my opinion, you can hit lvl 90 in less than a week EASILY with heirlooms. Also they will more than likely gear it up with vendor greens like they do with the free toon you get from scroll of ressurection. They should however add something that lets other people know that a character is boosted, like something when you inspect them.  Only part I don't like about it, is completely new players getting it. Should at least require you have a toon on your account lvl 85+ to be able to buy it.
  • krondinkrondin Member UncommonPosts: 106

I am looking forward to the expansion.

• ArxaiologArxaiolog Member Posts: 13
    Cheaper than Chinese farmers/lvl up sellers?!?!?!?!
  • ZibooZiboo Member UncommonPosts: 158

This is a 10 year old MMO, not a brand new game, that's saying skip the whole game and be a insta-max level.

Many WoW players enjoy the end-game content of WoW, more so than the leveling process.   It's not a requirement to skip leveling, it's an option.  For those that enjoy the journey, you can level through.  But I know in my guild everyone has at least 5-6+ level 90s.  One guy has 11.  So do they want to see all the content again, no.  They enjoy endgame raiding, instances, etc.

Also for those that have been away for an expansion, they'll be able to start (with limited skills) with their friends and see WoD without being weeks or months behind playing catch up.

As for the price, I know a guy back in BC that use to buy his end-game toons, and they were closer to $1000 than $60.  I think it's a very cheap price for those that don't enjoy leveling. 

Personally I love the journey, so will likely boost a class I've already played to 90 (different faction), but I still have lowbie alts cruising through the game.

End of the day it's a choice, you don't have to buy a level 90, but if you want to skip content, that is your cheap way to bypass it.

Proud member of Hammerfist Clan Gaming Community.

Currently playing: RIFT, EQ2, WoW, LoTRO
    Retired: Warhammer, AoC, EQ
    Waiting: SWToR & GW2

• Enforcer71Enforcer71 Member UncommonPosts: 780
    Originally posted by Soki123
    I enjoy the game, I still play it, I could care less if someone pays $60 to boost their char. It doesn t effect me in anyway shape or form. I say good on Blizz, if they sell a lot of them.

Feel the same way.. who cares if someone wants an instant max level character, its not a game changer and doesnt affect anyone 

Out of every 100 men, 10 should not be there,
    80 are nothing but targets, 9 are the real fighters.
    Ah, but one, ONE of them is a warrior,
    and he will bring the others home.
    -Heraclitus 500BC

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    3 schools of thought :

1. I won't be playing wod, therefore this boost to 90 is meaningless.

2. I want to play Wod, this boost has no impact on me, indeed for the last number of years wow has 'boosted' levelling anyway.

3. I would have played Wod but now I'm not going to even though I want to, because um some people may boost an alt or new char to 90 in a game that has just expanded to 100. Uhu really.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• LehoxLehox Member UncommonPosts: 19

For now, it may be a bit overthetop selling it before the addon but with WoD having Level 100 to conquer and the REWORK on the Levelingaspects in term of Damage, HP, Mobs, and even removal adding different Skills from 1-90 its just okay for people with 6+ 90ish and want another one but just cant keep the leveling up further more.

I say - may it be for blizz to make some bobby money, it does only affect the ones who do it.

• JeleenaJeleena Member UncommonPosts: 172
    Originally posted by Bladestrom
    3 schools of thought :

1. I won't be playing wod, therefore this boost to 90 is meaningless.

2. I want to play Wod, this boost has no impact on me, indeed for the last number of years wow has 'boosted' levelling anyway.

3. I would have played Wod but now I'm not going to even though I want to, because um some people may boost an alt or new char to 90 in a game that has just expanded to 100. Uhu really.

+1 

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by justinsalesart

It's not worth your time thinking about what other people do with their money. Unless you are trying to take it.

Love the language used in these threads as well. Get a dictionary; you're using words wrong.

You might wan't to take your own advise as it's "you're using words wrongly" not "you're using words wrong". Egg on your face ?

As to the discussion then well , it stinks , not the discussion but the fact they are giving and selling maxed characters ( well level 90 characters ).

The person on the first page that said it won't affect them in any way is wrong , unless he/she solos exclusively.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• HiromantHiromant Member UncommonPosts: 99

The disturbingly common "if you don't like stealing, don't steal" argument doesn't work.

This option changes the game as a whole whether or not any one person chooses to use it. For better or worse will remain to be seen but simply saying not to use it if you don't like it and nothing will change for you is wrong. You don't have to be part of the change to see it.

• DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082

As has been stated..this has been going on since WOW launched.

Just that bliz will be getting the cash now instead of lvling services, that had an option to sell your personal account info as well.. ya saying it was against the rules has not, nor will it ever, stop those that use these services.

A win win for Bliz..more instant cash..and less need to deal with as many stolen accounts.

As to being good or bad..well that as always is up to each persons feelings. Some like it and some hate it, and most could care less, since they do not see it as effecting them in any way.

• nickster29nickster29 Member Posts: 486

I agree, it is a horrible idea to sell level capped characters.  Good thing level 90 isn't the level cap come Warlords of Draenor.

This will become a non-issue for most people that play WoW, but it gives something for people who have some irrational vendetta against WoW to latch on to.  It isn't going to hurt my experience any to have someone jump to level 90 with an alt so they can skip TBC / Cata content.

• burdock2burdock2 Member UncommonPosts: 420
    Why not just make it that to be able to do it, you must have already had a character at level 90 to begin with? So it is really only for people who have already experienced all the content, yet, dont want to have to slug through it again just to get a preffered class to the max level (and so they can enjoy the content of the new expansion). Also, they should remove it once the next expansion is in the works.
    The problem ofc ^^ is the insane gear train, being behind the curve in wow for a new player is brutal - BG being a prime example.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by s4nder

The disturbingly common "if you don't like stealing, don't steal" argument doesn't work.

This option changes the game as a whole 

No, it doesnt.

Again, its very similar to what EQ2 did and the change in EQ2 has had no noticeable impact on the leveling population or PUG quality.

Its a 10 year old game with almost zero new players.  Its not even a mechanic to get to endgame, its a mechanic to get to the start of WoD.

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    Originally posted by Zakane

Honestly this seems to defeat the point of playing a game.

If I was a game designer and I spent months upon months making zones and bosses to only have the higher ups say "Hey lets just let everyone get instant max level so we can make a profit" I'd loose it.

This is only going to hurt the game. It will only help further empty out the zones.

Have we become so lazy that we cannot even play the game anymore?

Hate to break it to ya, but zones are already empty.  People quest while waiting for their dungeon queue to pop up while playing solo mode or simply wait in a capital for the queue or zerg through questing while ignoring all players.  I've played the content a ton already, don't even read the dialogues even on the ones I never read before, and solo the most efficient way I can while never socializing.  This is what all MMOs who have had several expansion become.

The devs who designed these zones know full well that players have already leveled many times already and don't want yet another run through of the quests that they can do blindfolded.  They have new content to design that players will be eating up n enjoying.

What you saying is some old Mustang designers all get their panties in a bundle because people aren't buying the older models they designed at a steady rate.  The car is dated and obsolete, while there are collectors they are by no means a steady consumer.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Your stealing my material. ;)

59$ for the box. 59$ for max level. Hell yeah! Thread with poll included.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • SKurjSKurj Member UncommonPosts: 157

I'm in it for the journey to cap, not lvl cap and start the gear grind anyways.  I usually burn out very shortly after reaching the lvl cap.  They can set the price to whatever they like for all it matters to me.

Starting to wonder if someone shouldn't just release a game that you start at 'end game'  forget the thousands of hours developing content for the levellers just develop a game and all it has is end game raids and stupid dailies..  someone will probably play it..

won't be me..

You part of the old guard :). If it doesn't 'yield' 2 million xp per hour then modern players freak. Blizzard should IMO invest some of their massive profits on maintaining the original levelling experience (and allowed those who don't like it to buy level 90!)

The car may be obsolete but sOmetimes a great book is worth reading again :)

• Hashcow101Hashcow101 Member UncommonPosts: 105
    Personal its blizzard they are still one of the largest giants in pc gaming, as far as mmo's go it dosnt matter what people think say or care now they had their big success back in the day as long as they keep rolling out new content every so often thats half assed people will still play so all the bitching and crying people do about instant 90 paid services cash shop etc. the fact of the matter that stand they still have millions of subs they wont go anywhere as well as games like GW2 EQ.
     p.s. i do not currently play havnt in 2 years possbily going to resub tho.

"May Your Head Explode And Blood Swell From The Wound"
    - Hashcow

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

I'm almost 50, been around the block a few times. I'm just an average everyday normal guy and I work hard for my money. Sorry Blizz your just gonna have to try a little harder to earn some of it, seems like your always going for the easy money these days.

Funny how success turns a lot of people into shit heads.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by DarLorkar

As has been stated..this has been going on since WOW launched.

Just that bliz will be getting the cash now instead of lvling services, that had an option to sell your personal account info as well.. ya saying it was against the rules has not, nor will it ever, stop those that use these services.

A win win for Bliz..more instant cash..and less need to deal with as many stolen accounts.

As to being good or bad..well that as always is up to each persons feelings. Some like it and some hate it, and most could care less, since they do not see it as effecting them in any way.

Except it was illegal before, or in gamer definitions, against the EULA.

Now Blizzard is legalizing it, for profit, as long as they provide the service.

It may have been going on before, but it was a small minority who would participate in such scrupulous activities (really, 1 power leveling per month would feed a family in China for the whole month).  Now it is going mainstream.  That's the issue.  Before there was a small market because of all the risks, such as losing an account.  Now there is a big market with no risks.

It would be like your local government legalizing cocaine / heroin / crack, but only if they manufacture it.  Government wins with profit++, and everyone else loses.  People will say, "it doesn't affect me, I'm not a druggie".  Wrong.  Your world will quickly deteriorate, because people inside your own community will make you want to move, with a feeling that they ruined everything you worked hard for.

With that, I liked someones earlier idea that the service could only be purchased if an account already had a max level character or 2 (legitimately played, not pushed up because of the Xpac).  I'm not thrilled with paid for power leveling in general, but it's at least the lesser evil for what appears to be a cash strapped Blizzard ..(lol?) ..

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    did you just compare an illegal drug with a mmo leveling service? Lolwut?!?!?!

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by jpnz
    did you just compare an illegal drug with a mmo leveling service? Lolwut?!?!?!

More or less, just an analogy with what is illegal in gaming (against EULA), versus with what is illegal in real life.

Both scenarios are (were) illegal for damn good reasons.  For the benefit and preservation of communities and societies, so they may prosper and share equal opportunities in their culture and through their peers.

The comparison was legit, though some may not like the light it sheds.  I would expect a poor company to do something like this .. but not Blizzard.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.