Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Time to kill off WoW and give us something NEW

mark2123mark2123 Member UncommonPosts: 450

Yes WoW still has plenty of subscribers, but Blizzard are lazy in terms of what thet are giving out for our money.  WoW was very original ten or so years ago, but now, with the same graphics and each expansion just more of the same dungeons and mechanics, more fetch quests and very little innovation, isn't it time for Blizzard to do the decent thing and replace the game with something fresh and give the players something to move towards; a new level of game to gravitate to?

I used to be a WoW fanboy and I have owned all the expansions, but it's tired now, going through the same content again and again with new characters, or getting gear for it all to be replaced and starting over as soon as a patch comes out - which is no more that a re-iteration of what's gone before.

By simply churning out endless expansions for nothing more than cash i.e. if they cared, they'd sack it asap because they would have built a new, Next Gen MMO, it keeps the industry lazy.

There really is little or no innovation, just a different way of doing the same old thing.  Very few technologies change so little over 10 years than MMOs have.  Kill 10 of these and fetch 10 of those - that's essentially what we keep getting.

Come on Blizzard, you are the MMO giant.  Pull your socks up and do something new, instead of more tired expansions of the game that people are only playing out of habit, sentiment and a lack of real competition.

Comments

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459
    Originally posted by mark2123

Yes WoW still has plenty of subscribers, but Blizzard are lazy in terms of what thet are giving out for our money.  WoW was very original ten or so years ago, but now, with the same graphics and each expansion just more of the same dungeons and mechanics, more fetch quests and very little innovation, isn't it time for Blizzard to do the decent thing and replace the game with something fresh and give the players something to move towards; a new level of game to gravitate to?

I used to be a WoW fanboy and I have owned all the expansions, but it's tired now, going through the same content again and again with new characters, or getting gear for it all to be replaced and starting over as soon as a patch comes out - which is no more that a re-iteration of what's gone before.

By simply churning out endless expansions for nothing more than cash i.e. if they cared, they'd sack it asap because they would have built a new, Next Gen MMO, it keeps the industry lazy.

There really is little or no innovation, just a different way of doing the same old thing.  Very few technologies change so little over 10 years than MMOs have.  Kill 10 of these and fetch 10 of those - that's essentially what we keep getting.

Come on Blizzard, you are the MMO giant.  Pull your socks up and do something new, instead of more tired expansions of the game that people are only playing out of habit, sentiment and a lack of real competition.

OK, interesting to a point, but replace it with what exactly?!? You are all for dumping WoW as it is now and replacing it, but with what? What do you want to see different, what would you want in a game to maintain your interest?

It is all well and good finding fault with something, but it is a whole other ball game to actually come up with something else in t's place.

Personally i still enjoy the game on a casual basis and still play 4-5 days/week for short periods which suits my lifestyle perfectly. I have enjoyed the Pandaria expansion, it had a completely different feel to the previous expansions in terms of the questing style and scale and i am really enjoying the lost isle as well as pitting my hunter against some legacy raids solo.

The game still has a lot of life left in it for a lot of people, for those that have burned out, maybe it is just time to move on to something else.

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

• SwampDragonsSwampDragons Member UncommonPosts: 352
    So you got bored and then they should kill wow? lol
  • RecklanRecklan Member UncommonPosts: 31

No thanks, I'm liking WoW the way it is.

Take care,

Recklan

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527

Actually they had the right idea but they made the wrong implementation of it.  We are going back in time in the next expansion.  Instead of it being an expansion, it should have been a place where you start at level 1.  It is NOT as if you lose anything that way because the way they set levels up these days you lose all your equipment to greens based on greens being superior practically immediately. 

In essence they could have treated the expansion as a remort from the old muds.   They could have upgraded things, changed the system, etc, and lost the issues they have with everyone being so very high a level.

• TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199

WoW has never EVER in its entire run offered anything new or unique.

Why should we kill it for doing what its been doing when that never seemed to bother people before?

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

Try a different MMO, there are a lot of good ones out there.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• mrputtsmrputts Member UncommonPosts: 283
    Originally posted by Tibernicuspa

Why should we kill it for doing what its been doing when that never seemed to bother people before?

Would  you agree that even though what WoW did was nothing new. To the millions of players that never played an MMO it was new. 

That being said for 10 years WoW has done the same stuff. Making it no longer new to even those millions.

Ea is like a poo fingered midas ~ShakyMo

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Blizzards next mmo won't be as popular as wow was.
  • hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    i'm done with it.. but if it went away i'm sure i'd miss it. have had some great times in the game(probably would still if they did'nt insist on dumbing it down with every xpac)

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

McDonalds has been making Big Macs and cheeseburgers the same for decades now. I demand they shut down due to lack of innovation. Bit ridiculous isn't it?

The bottom line is that WoW is the best at what it does. It dominates its niche. It doesn't need to stop doing it until someone comes along and does it better. 

Luckily other developers have realised this and have stopped trying to get a piece of that pie, which is why we are seeing some sandbox MMOs heading our way finally.

• TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199
    Originally posted by nerovipus32

Well that's obvious. Blizzard aren't innovators or good designers. They made EQ lite with former EQ raid leaders and then sat on it. The reason WoW was a success was because it was the first big budget MMO with a big name behind it. It can't do that twice.

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Originally posted by nerovipus32

Well that's obvious. Blizzard aren't innovators or good designers. They made EQ lite with former EQ raid leaders and then sat on it. The reason WoW was a success was because it was the first big budget MMO with a big name behind it. It can't do that twice.

That was one reason; at least as big of a reason in it's long term growth and success was that it's designers realized there are more casual players who want to solo while leveling than there are people who want to have to group for every piece of content.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

People that get this burnt out then angry that they are burnt out have only themselves to blame. 

I played WoW on and off for 7 years.  I loved playing alts but eventually I just got tired and bored of the game.  So I left.  But the game is still there, still kicking ass, and still providing fun for millions of people.

TL:DR Don't shit on other people's fun!

• frostgardianfrostgardian Member Posts: 7

I too have played the game to death. I still enjoyed it tho. its still a good game....a little stale but eh.

If your looking for something WoWlike I would suggest Wildstar, as someone who played wow for 8+ years for thousands of hours it should be right up your ally. but who knows what you like.

• Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077

There really is little or no innovation, just a different way of doing the same old thing. 

Halfhill daily/farming zone in itself was a radical change for WoW. It was probably a test to measure player participation to what's coming up in WoD -- player owned keeps.

For WoW culture in itself, the game is evolving. MoP showed us with Halfhill and FLEX raiding. What WoD will offer, we'll have to wait and see what tidbits will be released.

The player models/animation/emote revamp is worth the price of the box itself, as that is a major revamp and one WoW players have waited years to finally see (we may even see more Dwarf female characters now!).

• ArielyAriely Member Posts: 68

the main reason wow is "still " big is the amount of stuff u can do.

and also the apeal of the things, even new people can play the game and understand it to the fullest in no time, yes i know the game is being dumbed down, but the point remains.

• MamasGunMamasGun Member Posts: 152

Meh, I never cared for WoW.  Tried it out multiple times, and was always bored to tears. I wouldn't have such a problem with WoW if their fanbase weren't a legion of the angriest nerds you've ever seen.

I mean, MoP was a joke, but the fans were pissed, so it was made into an expansion.  They always talk immense shit about any MMO, and if you try to reason, you get the "WoW was first" logic. 

I've known a few cool people that played WoW, but I've also known some of the most genuinely disagreeable people that play WoW, as well. 

All in all, I won't have a problem with WoW if the majority of it's fanbase could grow a few inches in terms of maturity and sagacity.

P.S.-"The player models/animation/emote revamp is worth the price of the box itself, as that is a major revamp and one WoW players have waited years to finally see (we may even see more Dwarf female characters now!)."  Wow.  Simply, wow.  Not to detract from your excitement- I guess if I was playing forever, I'd be excited, too.  But, really, the models/animation/emote revamps is worth the prices of the box?  By taking a game from 2004 and making it look like a game from 2009?  That's definitely progress!

Loves: SMITE, WildStar, Project Zomboid, PSO2, DCUO,

Worst Online Communities: WoW/WoD(the OG MMO Trolls), DayZ/WarZ, SMITE/LoL/DOTA, EVE Online, APB
    "I’m ready for
    All the comparisons
    I think it’s dumb and it’s embarrassing
    I’m switching off
    No longer listening
    I’ve had enough of persecution and conditioning
    Maybe it’s instinct- We’re only animal"
    - Lily Allen, Sheezus

• mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,504

lol what...

WoW streamlined questing, made a more accessable game to greater quantities of people, introduced tools that are considered to ruin communities and a slew of other things that people have come along and copied... that wasnt taken from ultima, muds, everquest, shadowbane etc...

oh and the one big thing they did that was new and unique was develop a warcraft game in MMORPG form, which to my knowledge no other company had previously done.

but clearly, they did nothing new EVER

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by mbrodie

lol what...

WoW streamlined questing, made a more accessable game to greater quantities of people, introduced tools that are considered to ruin communities and a slew of other things that people have come along and copied... that wasnt taken from ultima, muds, everquest, shadowbane etc...

oh and the one big thing they did that was new and unique was develop a warcraft game in MMORPG form, which to my knowledge no other company had previously done.

This! If every MMO released today is a WoW clone, then what is WoW a clone of? That said, the biggest differentiation between WoW and other games is polish. You can't put a metric on it, but it's undeniable. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,504
    Originally posted by CrazKanuk

lol what...

This! If every MMO released today is a WoW clone, then what is WoW a clone of? That said, the biggest differentiation between WoW and other games is polish. You can't put a metric on it, but it's undeniable. 

it's so funny, people get so caught up in WoW hate they forget the small things like yeah it wasnt the first MMORPG but it definitely reinvented the wheel on some things and completely invented a heap of other things, blizzard is probably one of the only developers to embrace community addons to a point where if they see something that is super popular they make an effort to incorperate it into the game and as you said polish... everything is always gleaming.

like it or not WoW is an amazing mmo for it's age and what it is, games from the same era look decayed and outdated, WoW's graphics style has allowed it to still look decent even after all this time, i have been playing on and off since Alpha (and i wont lie in alpha i thought it was the worst game i'd ever seen) but, all your tears arent going to make this game die off... it's here and it's still a powerhouse.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Originally posted by Robokapp
    Originally posted by mrputts

Would  you agree that even though what WoW did was nothing new. To the millions of players that never played an MMO it was new. 

your argument makes me think of this: "to the billions of people who never went on a plane flight, the earth is flat..."

you are stating a non-fact that you know is a non-fact as a fact and backing it up by the fact that it's a popular non-fact.

WoW certainly was the first mmo to many, myself included. But while you playing wow was something new to you, WoW itself didn't do anything new.

Depends on your definition of new. Blizzard certainly innovated on the previous MMO model by basically removing the tons of camping that was required to level in previous mmos. While quests are just another version of a mob grind, there is at least some purpose to it, and the questing system broke up the boring sit in a spot for hours killing a camp of mobs and waiting for respawn system that was in place in many mmos. It wasn't the first mmo that was solo friendly, but it certainly took the ability to solo into mainstream albeit with mixed results. 

Honestly, the "new" of WoW was that so many great systems were brought together under a single roof. Additionally, while EverQuest was certainly becoming mainstream (I remember starting to see movie and tv references to EQ pre-WoW), WoW really took the genre into the mainstream. Again, with mixed results.

I'd say the evolution of the genre that happened with WoW was certainly new, but there wasn't an earth shattering change to the genre. If anything, we won't see giant sweeping change to the genre, but more like baby steps. Many games have brought new things to the genre, and others have expanded on those systems, but not in grandiose ways.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    If Blizzard made WoW 100% Oculus Rift compatible, that should be a big step forward.
  • Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077

lol what...

it's so funny, people get so caught up in WoW hate they forget the small things like yeah it wasnt the first MMORPG but it definitely reinvented the wheel on some things and completely invented a heap of other things, blizzard is probably one of the only developers to embrace community addons to a point where if they see something that is super popular they make an effort to incorperate it into the game and as you said polish... everything is always gleaming.

Ah, Blizzard is now banning people with addons that just have errors.

Yep, you can lose your account permanently over LUA errors, now -- and they won't tell you until you get a ban notice.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    People look at WoW with rose-colored glasses.  For many it was their first MMO.  If you think about it, the bosses back then only did like 5-6 different things.  Now bosses do a huge variety of things.
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by Kevyne-Shandris

lol what...

Ah, Blizzard is now banning people with addons that just have errors.

Yep, you can lose your account permanently over LUA errors, now -- and they won't tell you until you get a ban notice.

See!?!? They are doing new stuff! lol.

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------