Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dizzy

cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067

I just wanted to ask if anyone else had this problem. I was playing yesterday and it was probably longer than I usually could because I used to get stuck before and have to relog so I never managed a really long session with this game.

Okay here is what happened I felt dizzy and got a headache I normally get from playing FPS which I cannot play for more than 10 minutes . Even the Deus Ex the recent game I was unable to play although I truly wanted to and was very sad I could not because of this problem.

I am using third person and not first person view so I do not understand why I got this headache. I was fighting a lot and I was moving around and jerking around a lot to avoid attacks and stuff and often my view point would become like first person when a rock or something is behind me. I noticed after awhile fighting in some goblin cave nausea. I was puzzled and when I logged off I realised it was exactly what happened when I tried to play half life or any fps. Is there anything I can do to reduce this. Do I pan off further to avoid this ? Is there some mod I can use to adjust the field of view. Is this my own fault for jerking around or is there anyway I can reduce this ?

Chamber of Chains

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Gotta ask... do you have a known medical condition that causes this dizzynes? If not, you should see a doctor before thinking of FOV or other game play solutions.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• DoushiDoushi Member UncommonPosts: 96

you are not alone, and secondly no way to adjust the FOV. Im not really happy about it.

https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2937/~/will-the-fov-in-first-person-mode-change-before-launch?

3th person isnt as bad but still bad..

mmorpg.com, the 4chan of mmo forums.

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

You're not alone.

In my entire gaming 'career' including a wide array of FPS games. I have never felt any type of motion sickness or headache from motion.

This game. Especially in enclosed spaces. I was forced to look away from the screen on many occasions to stop from becoming physically ill.

I think it may have a lot to do with the awkward third person view. It doesn't look like that is changing either.

• fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506

So you experience these symptoms playing FPS. 

Do you get these symptoms on amusement rides? Spinning around in chairs? Twirling in general?

I would consult a real doctor, first and foremost. It could be Vertigo or some sort of seizure disorder. 

Like I said check with your doctor. 

• HrothaHrotha Member UncommonPosts: 821
    Originally posted by cheyane

I just wanted to ask if anyone else had this problem. I was playing yesterday and it was probably longer than I usually could because I used to get stuck before and have to relog so I never managed a really long session with this game.

Okay here is what happened I felt dizzy and got a headache I normally get from playing FPS which I cannot play for more than 10 minutes . Even the Deus Ex the recent game I was unable to play although I truly wanted to and was very sad I could not because of this problem.

I am using third person and not first person view so I do not understand why I got this headache. I was fighting a lot and I was moving around and jerking around a lot to avoid attacks and stuff and often my view point would become like first person when a rock or something is behind me. I noticed after awhile fighting in some goblin cave nausea. I was puzzled and when I logged off I realised it was exactly what happened when I tried to play half life or any fps. Is there anything I can do to reduce this. Do I pan off further to avoid this ? Is there some mod I can use to adjust the field of view. Is this my own fault for jerking around or is there anyway I can reduce this ?

Same here, but my eyes quickly adopt to such situations. This does not mean this solves the problem. I have a history of adapting to headaches when playing games. It is just that your brain re-wiring itself to these circumstances and since this is not natural, it hurts. You can either continue or leave it. I suggest leaving it for your own health. It is not worth forcing yourself to a game with which you have such problems with.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067

No Iselin really it's a normal problem people have with fps I think it is called even fps headache but it should not happen in this game. I am not using first person view but the camera often goes like first person when I backed into a cave corner or up some rock or tree . I just did not notice it because I was happily swinging my sword until the dizziness got worse. When I logged off the headache which was there I had not noticed from trying hard not to die and stuff you know busy playing hit me . In Half Life when I first played it I could not even get that far I was out after about 15 minutes the nausea was so bad I actually threw up. I read up and it is a problem some people have with motion sickness which I suffer from.

The point is it should not happen here because I am using third person view.

Chamber of Chains
  • MagikarpsGhostMagikarpsGhost Member RarePosts: 689
    Might be motion sickness, I would consult your doctor about that. My friend has the same thing and it only kicks in on first person games, and in cars if he stares out the window,

free 7 day sub and unlocks for swtor new accounts and 90+ day inactive subs click here to get it!

Click here for trove referral, bonuses to both!

Nothing can be done okay thanks for the answers.

Chamber of Chains
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

No Iselin really it's a normal problem people have with fps I think it is called even fps headache but it should not happen in this game. I am not using first person view but the camera often goes like first person when I backed into a cave corner or up some rock or tree . I just did not notice it because I was happily swinging my sword until the dizziness got worse. When I logged off the headache which was there I had not noticed from trying hard not to die and stuff you know busy playing hit me . In Half Life when I first played it I could not even get that far I was out after about 15 minutes the nausea was so bad I actually threw up. I read up and it is a problem some people have with motion sickness which I suffer from.

The point is it should not happen here because I am using third person view.

Well motion sickness would explain it. I have a friend who literally can not ride in the backseat of a car without getting sick -- and yes, when we were teenagers we all thought he was scamming us to get the coveted "shotgun" :) But it's real.

I have a mild case of Acrophobia (heights) and when I'm playing MMOs and come close to falling off a high ledge I get that familiar tingle. But neither FPS nor this bother me at all.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• LupusVaiLupusVai Member UncommonPosts: 15

I sometimes experience motion sickness from games but that may well be because i'm not wearing my glasses. I was once told that turning up your monitor refresh rate can help. Something to do with imperceptible flickering....third hand information though so not sure how reliable. Could be worth trying..

A friend from a while back used to get real bad motion sickness playing first person games like counter strike, to the point were he'd be sick. Turned out he had some sort of medical condition though. Can't remember what, but pretty sure he got tablets for it.

• AsariashaAsariasha Member UncommonPosts: 252
    I cannot but wonder. Are online game forums your first place to go when you seemingly have health issues? For your own sake, please visit a doctor for clarification. Dizzyness can in gerneral be a symptom for a broad variety of health issues, ranging from simple cough to cerebral events.

Well I am hoping next build the third person view may get improved. I will try again because I want to play the game especially since an old mate from Everquest who I have not played with for years is going to be playing this game with me.

I was playing another game for a couple of hours without any headache or dizziness before logging into ESO and I will try to play another game today to see if I get the headache.

Chamber of Chains
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

You seem to get truly immersed with the game.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Ya, this is a known medical problem. It's a form of vertigo like motion sickness. Folks had the same complaints when GW2 was in beta. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

I play GW2 I have no problems in that game. May be I just need to get used to it.

Chamber of Chains
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Well I am hoping next build the third person view may get improved. I will try again because I want to play the game especially since an old mate from Everquest who I have not played with for years is going to be playing this game with me.

I was playing another game for a couple of hours without any headache or dizziness before logging into ESO and I will try to play another game today to see if I get the headache.

If you haven't already, then seeking medical attention really should be a priority, there may be some kind of treatment to counter the effects or prevent them from occuring, it is not.. normal.. image

• MikePaladinMikePaladin Member UncommonPosts: 592

maybe you just need and aspirine and a nap? You use a new monitor ? new rezolution ? you changed refresh rate from 60 to 100+ hertz  you started wearing glasses when sitting on PC ?  Intercranial preasure ?

What about me a good nap? always helps me..  might be result of over tiredness? take a break  visit you're family doctor )

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

It might be simulation sickness

• LissylLissyl Member UncommonPosts: 271

I just watched this last week.  While it's more informative than anything, you might be surprised to find out just how many people this kind of thing affects.

Link is to Extra Credits: SImulation Sickness 

• BladorthinBladorthin Member UncommonPosts: 27
    That's odd, I get that for many FPS games as well, and I had no problems in any beta thus far. I would try the next one before you buy the game and see if it happens again. Also occasionally change your viewing angle. This helps me when I play FPS games.
  • MikePaladinMikePaladin Member UncommonPosts: 592
    LOL who could know ... know I understand why my friends could not play some game with me )) they were saying their dizzy and want to throw up....
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by MikePaladin

maybe you just need and aspirine and a nap? You use a new monitor ? new rezolution ? you changed refresh rate from 60 to 100+ hertz  you started wearing glasses when sitting on PC ?  Intercranial preasure ?

What about me a good nap? always helps me..  might be result of over tiredness? take a break  visit you're family doctor )

Just a quick look up on the internet brought up this from the 'ehow' website.

To prevent dizziness and the other symptoms associated with computer eye strain, adjust your workstation so that your monitor is well lit. Avoid glare on your monitor, as it can cause you to squint and make your eyes work harder than necessary. Upgrade your CRT (cathode ray tube) monitor to a flat screen LCD (liquid crystal display) monitor, which is easier on the eyes and offers a higher refresh rate to eliminate screen flicker. If the dizziness and other symptoms persist despite prevention methods, speak to your health care professional or seek an eye exam to eliminate a more serious, underlying medical cause.

• blondehblondeh Member UncommonPosts: 540

It could be related to travel sickness. I get sick if I say read a book while in a moving car, or if im on a ride that goes around or even on swings.. (bit old for swings now) However Ive only got dizzy from games when ive got up gone for a ciggerette, finished and then gone straight back to gaming.

Travel sickness is when the body feels like its moving but the brain (due to the eyes to looking) thinks your stationary. The brain then thinks your being poisened so tells the body to throw up. 

Maybe with games it could be the other way round. Your eyes are telling you your moving..but ur body is stationary..

Dunno really im not a doctor just putting my thoughts int the thread :)

• blondehblondeh Member UncommonPosts: 540

Forgot to mention.

Whats the Hz (refresh rate) of your monitor and how many frames per second are you getting in game? If its low..then it could be the cause of your headaches

That youtube link was very good thank you. I will try what they suggest and may be finally I can play Bioshock which I have so dearly wanted to. Thank you all so much and thank you also for not making fun of me.

Thanks DM I will check those things out I do use prescription glasses since I developed presbyopia with age am 53 and I use different powers on each eye so I need them to be made specially. I have an LCD monitor its set at 60hz no other adjuestment available.

Chamber of Chains