Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Views on this game

SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

1. I get a hunch that this game is going to work out great. Developers who tend to have a insight into game design are usually the same developers who produce fairly stable products. Will it be late? most likely. Will it be great? I get a feeling its going to be historically good based on their approach to development process as well as feature list.

2. I do think crowdfunding will get to a point where someone is going to get screwed. I just dont think it will be this game specifically. It does have the platform to happen however.

3. The approach to funding is very interesting in this game and it shows how people are willing to spend a good amount of money for the feeling of status and ownership. If I was to be making a game I would very much study this dynamic. For those who dont know your funding amount is tied to the quality of ships you get and your hanger. For us who play game for immersion the sense of ownership for a ship is pretty profound and we are willing spend real dollars for that experience.

I think for many even if the game fails competely they will be ok having spent the money they already have given the process of experience it has provided already

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

Comments

• ZieglerZiegler Member Posts: 159

And number three is the exact reason I dont even look at this game. Basically the guy with the biggest pockets is the best off.

To me, that is like playing chess, and saying...I'm going to pay a 100.00 to get my queen back that you just killed...oh...you cant afford to buy back your lost pieces? ...well, this is going to be a rough game for you then...

But hey, it if works for you, and you're willing to throw that kind of cash around to have a status symbol in a game, there are people more than ready to take your money to allow you to do that.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Originally posted by Ziegler

And number three is the exact reason I dont even look at this game. Basically the guy with the biggest pockets is the best off.

To me, that is like playing chess, and saying...I'm going to pay a 100.00 to get my queen back that you just killed...oh...you cant afford to buy back your lost pieces? ...well, this is going to be a rough game for you then...

But hey, it if works for you, and you're willing to throw that kind of cash around to have a status symbol in a game, there are people more than ready to take your money to allow you to do that.

good points and I have no idea how they plan to resolve that. 

With that said, from watching these guys a little bit they appear to be the kind of developers who are aware of that and have a plan. maybe people more involved might have a better answer for us but I think its a very valid quesiton

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Maybe you should go and learn a little more before you wade into a forum and make a totally false post like this. The ships in this game use a Rock-Paper-Scissors design philosophy. Just because you bought a bigger ship does not mean you've bought an "I WIN!!!" button. It will take a lot of skill on your part to make the most of any ship. Bigger ships have more firepower but they are also slow and not very maneuverable. Smaller ships don't have as much firepower but they have speed and agility. Larger ships also require other players to make the most of them as well. Also the larger the ship the higher the costs to keep it flying. Also the game will have ship insurance so if you lose your ship and it's insured you'll get another stock model... You'll just lose your upgrades if any. Also anything that is being sold now will be available in game for in game currency once the game goes live.

Your post just shows that you know very little about this game and you've made your decision based 100% on the fact that the game is crowd funded and you never bothered to do any research beyond that point.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• atuerstaratuerstar Member Posts: 234

Im sorry, I thought the hangars and ships from the crowdfunding were available to everyone in game through gameplay. People may start with these status symbols but within a few weeks/months anyone can have those ships and upgraded hangars - if they are willing to work for them. Hell I thought the point of the game was to trade and fight your way to bigger better collection of ships and your own massive hangar to keep them all in.

Did something change under the covers that I am unaware of? Or are you adding to the pile of misiniformation and rabble rousing? Im confused.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

knock knock anybody at home McFly?

what part of "every ship can be earned in game" did you not understand?

go support the game with 1000$ and get the game and a ship as a reward or support the game with 40$ and get the game and a smaller ship as reward, earn the bigger ship by, uuuuhhhh, playing the game then?

Seriously what is so hard to understand about crowdfunding?

what's next, calling charity pay2win because you get a coffee mug as a reward? Holy moly.

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791
    I think this game has enormous potential. I also think that the gaming track record of Chris Roberts speaks for itself in a positive way. My only concern is that even though I have a very high end PC now, that by the time it launch I may need crowd funding to upgrade it. ;)

Let's party like it is 1863!

• NotNiceDinoNotNiceDino Member Posts: 320

Once crow-funding ends, i.e. at some point before launch, there will be no way to buy ships for real money, and at that point all ships will be acquirable in game. In fact ships available to backers now come with limited insurance, and though you can buy insurance in game, it is likely that ships that backers start with at launch won't last the first year the game is live. Furthermore CIG has already made it very clear that the equipment that comes with the backer ships is all starter stuff that will be replaced quickly in game.

So, does your ass have anything else it would like to share?

Active: WoW

Semi-retired: STO

Fully retired: UO, EQ, AC, SWG, FFXI, DDO:EU, PoTBS, AoC, EvE

Tried: EQ2, Tabula Rasa, Auto-Assault, Isteria, LotRO, Wizard 101

Looking forward to: Star Citizen

• khamul787khamul787 Member UncommonPosts: 193
    Originally posted by atuerstar

Im sorry, I thought the hangars and ships from the crowdfunding were available to everyone in game through gameplay. People may start with these status symbols but within a few weeks/months anyone can have those ships and upgraded hangars - if they are willing to work for them. Hell I thought the point of the game was to trade and fight your way to bigger better collection of ships and your own massive hangar to keep them all in.

Did something change under the covers that I am unaware of? Or are you adding to the pile of misiniformation and rabble rousing? Im confused.

They are available through gameplay. All of them. Ships will no longer be purchasable with cash once crowdfunding ends.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

My view on this one is the same as any game. When it comes out I'll give it a try. If it sucks...I'll quit. I'll last as long as it's still fun. I don't care if other people have bigger/better or more ships. You should be able to have fun at any level regardless of how much you've spent, as long as your expectations are realistic.

If it ends up being you flying around in your noob ship getting ganked by people in their cash shop ships...well...see my first point :)

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Originally posted by SEANMCAD

I think for many even if the game fails competely they will be ok having spent the money they already have given the process of experience it has provided already

I think it's funny this thread starts off with a justification that, even if the game completely fails, backers will have received full value for their contributions in the form of hype and a digital museum.

I may end up playing for a bit, but I probably won't stay around forever.  The level of salesmanship and sharp practice in this game prior to launch is so off-putting to me personally.  I've been playing a game in the same genre that has been getting by on a shoestring (and frankly is amazing) for over a decade.  It will be interesting to see where this game is in 10 years.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Originally posted by Phaserlight
    Originally posted by SEANMCAD

I think it's funny this thread starts off with a justification that, even if the game completely fails, backers will have received full value for their contributions in the form of hype and a digital museum.

I may end up playing for a bit, but I probably won't stay around forever.  The level of salesmanship and sharp practice in this game prior to launch is so off-putting to me personally.  I've been playing a game in the same genre that has been getting by on a shoestring (and frankly is amazing) for over a decade.  It will be interesting to see where this game is in 10 years.

I can say that I still agree with what I said 100% and I can tell you first hand that I personally have already gotten MORE than my value out of a startup that hasnt even been released yet.

Looking for massive amounts opportunity to make a shit ton of money? Re-evaulate the concept of 'value'

• Force_FireForce_Fire Member Posts: 145

Smells like........Vaporware. But for the sake of argument, let's say it's real.

MY VIEW: Given everything I've seen to date, I think at best they make an okay single player space sim. Furthermore, what's to stop these people from writing themselves fat checks out of the investor cash and just string people along by selling them more virtual goods they can't even use in game?  It's not even an MMORPG (unless they are now promising that too)

Honestly, watch their Q&A videos. They say "YES!!!" to every feature request.  I will be shocked if they can pull off even a quarter of the features they are promising. It's like they are just telling people anything to get their money.

"What? You want a Space Unicorn that shoots RAINBOWS out it's ass? You got it! now send us more money!"

My view. Take what you will, But this thing stinks.

• zevianzevian Member UncommonPosts: 403

Its not even a game yet.  Its some concepts and some tech demos.    If it comes out and has everything the creators say it will and plays just as smooth it should be a great time!  (dont hold your breath,  i dont have enough fingers or toes to count the amount of things people get promised and never materialize)

Looking at 2015 according to their release schedule before a "game" appears.  But hey before that you should be able to hang out in other peoples hangars and look at the ships theyve bought.  (rolls eyes).

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

Views on the game?

Using the footage available, it's something I think a lot of us want to see happen but the radar on this one is going batshit crazy. Everything from vague terminology about it not being an MMO, defining it very specific as a Space Sim to the amount of money raised, to the revenue system after launch.

As of January it was at 35 mill? Instinct tells me there is corporate contribution, not grass roots that is building that number. If that's the case, they plan to make it back and that will be through game impacting design. I can smell Entropia Universe all over this.

Again I say, you want this to happen but something is just wrong here. Still I watch and might even make a small pledge as the date gets closer and more is revealed about the business plan. Maybe part of the funding is tied to after launch maintenance and its all on the up and up. For now the scam factor is just too strong.

• semantikronsemantikron Member Posts: 258

I understand your point of view.  Mine has changed lately.  I'm buying a gaming experience, not a chance to 'win' something.  Chess is binary.  Winner, Loser.  Done.  Something as big as a space sim universe that you might play for years is a different thing.  Nobody wins in the end.  So the point is to experience something that you can't in meatspace (yeah, I remember the 90s).  In this case, I will start a career in the smallest, cheapest ship possible and have the opportunity to realize an immense amount of very detailed, unscripted progression.

While I understand the decision to buy bigger ships because I obviously want to fly them someday, buying them up front would be degrading the value of the game for me.

Charr: Outta my way.
    Human: What's your problem?
    Charr: Your thin skin.

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

Min requi right now is 4 core (high end i5 and i7) and 8GB ram on a 64 bit system.

Maybe at launch those systems will be cheap but for now, SC is painting itself as an elite gamers platform and not a game for the masses. I'm sure that will have more influence in defining it than game play or anything else.

• ZezdaZezda Member UncommonPosts: 686
    Originally posted by free2play

Min requi right now is 4 core (high end i5 and i7) and 8GB ram on a 64 bit system.

Maybe at launch those systems will be cheap but for now, SC is painting itself as an elite gamers platform and not a game for the masses. I'm sure that will have more influence in defining it than game play or anything else.

I think you need to go read this thread because you're mixing up minimum requirements and suggested, or recommended, requirements.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/22025/

Also, with Windows XP getting it's support dropped there should be no good reason in this day and age that anyone is still on a 32bit OS, even more so if you play games.

For the game you are getting I believe the projected system requirements and recommendations are reasonable. But then again I've spent time to look into some of the technology they are implementing into the engine. It's fine and well to be cautious about the game itself and waiting before you buy in but it's clearly not some sort of vaporware or scam. On the other hand if it actually does launch then it's almost certainly going to be one of the most ambitious games, if not the most, ever developed.

It's also likely going to be the largest funded game by the time it's all said and done. Current projections for crowdfunding alone put it somewhere between $70m on the high-end and $50m on the low assuming the current funding trend continues (During which time there's not been an actual playable game) then there's money that has been invested privately to consider also. If you break down how that money is effectively spent it works out that for each $1 of crowdfunded money that is spent on development it's the equivalent of $3-4 from the traditional model which brings the realistic money spent on development up to levels surpassing the likes of SW:TOR and GTA 4 just from that crowdfunding projection alone.

TL;DR System requirements are fine and it's clearly not vaporware.

• Cabbagehead664Cabbagehead664 Member Posts: 18
    true, true
  • Cabbagehead664Cabbagehead664 Member Posts: 18
    Originally posted by Force_Fire

Smells like........Vaporware. But for the sake of argument, let's say it's real.

MY VIEW: Given everything I've seen to date, I think at best they make an okay single player space sim. Furthermore, what's to stop these people from writing themselves fat checks out of the investor cash and just string people along by selling them more virtual goods they can't even use in game?  It's not even an MMORPG (unless they are now promising that too)

Honestly, watch their Q&A videos. They say "YES!!!" to every feature request.  I will be shocked if they can pull off even a quarter of the features they are promising. It's like they are just telling people anything to get their money.

"What? You want a Space Unicorn that shoots RAINBOWS out it's ass? You got it! now send us more money!"

My view. Take what you will, But this thing stinks.

They are not saying YES to everything, they are saying yes to things that make sense (they pick the questions they can answer). An you need to  redefine what vaporware means. Because the only thing that stinks here is you and you're bias.

So stop with the hyperbole, Mr. Rainbow.

Also Star Citizen is a massively multiplayer online game (MMO aka one mega server with thousands of people). It's also a role playing game. But in a non traditional main stream sense. They don't want to call it a MMORPG because that comes with a stigma/baggage/expectations they don't want attached to the game.

You know leveling, skill points, grinding for x and x,  pointless endgame, level locking, stats, theme park elements, dumb down A.I, restrictive game play ...etc which there is none of.

Never the less a spade is a spade.

-------------

So in conclusion you're VIEW is a jaded one, which is clearly born out of you're ignorance-because you're clueless. People like you are fools, always got to be a catch somewhere. "Oh they have to be stringing people along..bla, bla , bla" yea with daily videos, talking to backers...etc  really stupid mind set.

(what about the other kickstarter studios, that are doing the same or similar? are they stringing them along as well?). 

We know their faces and know were they work. An people visit their offices, they were at GDC 2013 (thousands of people showed up) , going to be at PAX 2014 in Boston, with thousands of people ready to show up . Chris Roberts is a big name and has a legacy to keep going.   I mean come on.

It's Pre Alpha, you don't get to see any of this stuff this early PERIOD.

Find a MUCH better reason to hate on this game. Other then non factor's and speculation and crystal ball predictions.

• chronoss2015chronoss2015 Member UncommonPosts: 217

had a look at its video and the guy really is a goo dmarketer, i also saw the new video aobut how they are having and opening access for hte community to deisgn ships....

ONE ISSUE i feel like a noob here....where hte hell do i sign up to there page? "enlist"

haha

im like most i am willing to pay for an immersive experience and the things he showed and said are all what i am into....

they also say that this august the hagners will be out and a "mini" kinda of the game will be going....

THINGS i may get to trying ....this occulos rift vr head set....

and if i do get into this i like idea of the single player aspect experience where i could have friends be part of it....nothing like a hand when ya have a hard time....

the worrying bit is the risk of this crowdfunding angle and i see they are using the cryengine to do this and let me explain to people , how i think they are doing this....

A) get the free cryengine , start doign stuff....then if they get enough cash they have to by lisence and its not cheap...feel free to go see how that company is really gouging us all.

B) buying 3dsmax and maya ...per lisence is like 10-15 grand each developer ....this shit adds way up fast ....

C) people do need ot eat and live and pay rent....and ive seen  indie devs with teams of 120 people starting out this way jsut wanting ot make a game they want to enjoy and it ballons and becomes commercial....

what i might do here even being tiny bit scepticle is buy a small ship pledge....i like others want the feel of being in a game and working for it, and i love a lil BUILD your OWN hanger....

one idea as they go is HEY can i go take myself a small moon and turn it into a fort for my lil base / perhaps a guild/organization?

ideas this is what can at this stage help a game....

anyhow if someone can direct me to the "enlist" ill go sign up , and htey nee dmake that a lil more seeable...

OH and nice site design ! ( i've deved some cool looks ot websites in my time that one is done nice- just how do you sign up ....OOOPS)

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    If this game isn't great, there will NEVER be another large MMO KS.

• Originally posted by Burntvet
    If this game isn't great, there will NEVER be another large MMO KS.
    Wouldn't be so sure. People still continue buying the newest high profile theme park MMOs. On preorder even.
  • screecwescreecwe Member UncommonPosts: 127
    Originally posted by chronoss2015

ONE ISSUE i feel like a noob here....where hte hell do i sign up to there page? "enlist"

On http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com you click on "My RSI" at the top right and then Enlist Now. Once you create an account, on the main page click on "Store" then "Pledge" . On the left hand side of the Pledge page that is opened, click on "single ship packages" under "Game Packages". Anything listed here is considered a package, and comes with the game(single player and multiplayer), a ship, some other goodies, and alpha/beta access(EXCEPT THE 30$ AURORA MR PACKAGE). To get alpha/beta make sure you pay for at least the $40 dollar package.

Once you get a package, you can get extra ships by going back to the pledge page and clicking on "ships".

they also say that this august the hagners will be out and a "mini" kinda of the game will be going....

That was last August. The Hangar module has been out for a while now. It allows you to walk around your Hangar(one of three types available) and check out the ships you own(if they have been modeled). On April 10th, during PAX East, they will be revealing the next module, The Dogfighting Module, which will allow you to compete online with friends in an arena style dogfight. It will be released "very soon" after PAX East reveal. With how they do things, I would expect it to be within a week of PAX East, barring any unforseen circumstances.

the worrying bit is the risk of this crowdfunding angle and i see they are using the cryengine to do this and let me explain to people , how i think they are doing this....

A) get the free cryengine , start doign stuff....then if they get enough cash they have to by lisence and its not cheap...feel free to go see how that company is really gouging us all.

B) buying 3dsmax and maya ...per lisence is like 10-15 grand each developer ....this shit adds way up fast ....

C) people do need ot eat and live and pay rent....and ive seen  indie devs with teams of 120 people starting out this way jsut wanting ot make a game they want to enjoy and it ballons and becomes commercial....

A) Chris Roberts already bought Cryengine with his own money when he originally started making the game by himself in 2012. In fact, he paid for the highest engine access he could, because he wanted to be able to do some major modifications to how it runs.

B) Everything they have is already licensed. It's part of their operating costs.

C) He's not just any indi-dev. When he was developing, two of his games were the biggest budget games ever(WC3 and WC4). He also has was a Hollywood Producer for years. He knows how to manage large scale operations with many moving parts.

• BeelzebobbieBeelzebobbie Member UncommonPosts: 430
    I think this game looks to good to be true and that worries me.
  • Geebus80Geebus80 Member Posts: 92
    It is immensely ambitious project, but of all the people in the industry Chris Roberts has the best chance to pull it off imo.