Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free to play and private servers coming soon

ElapsedElapsed Member UncommonPosts: 2,329

A few days ago a dev announced on the AC forums that AC would no longer receive monthly content updates. Instead AC will be going into maintenance mode and only major game breaking bugs will be fixed going forward.

The good news is that AC will become free to play in the future (no exact date yet). It will be limited to people who are currently subscribed at first. The game servers can not handle a huge influx of players. In the future they will probably open the game up to everyone though.

Also, they will be releasing the server software for people to use on private servers. Players will legally be allowed to run private servers. Players will also have the dev tools to create new content for private servers.

While I'm sad AC is winding down, I know it couldn't go on forever.  This is an excellent way to end the game. Other MMO devs should take note.

Comments

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

I am wondering if it is possible for someone to make a progression server.  I tried to get back into AC, I didnt really like the direction it went in, but would be a blast to restart from day 1

Day 1 with tinkering added would be my dream game

• ElapsedElapsed Member UncommonPosts: 2,329
    Originally posted by Myrdynn

I am wondering if it is possible for someone to make a progression server.  I tried to get back into AC, I didnt really like the direction it went in, but would be a blast to restart from day 1

Day 1 with tinkering added would be my dream game

We don't know how much we'll be able to modify the game. They said they won't be releasing the source code, so we may not be able to make huge changes. I too would like to play a server that undoes a lot of the recent additions.

• lobeslobes Member UncommonPosts: 127

Here is a link to the forum post regarding the current/future state of AC:

https://www.asheronscall.com/en/forums/showthread.php?62779-News-about-the-next-update

• ElapsedElapsed Member UncommonPosts: 2,329
    They called this the "Spring 2014 Update", implying we may still get quarterly updates.
  • papabear151papabear151 Member UncommonPosts: 110

This is hands down the best MMO that I've ever played. If they could make it slightly less grindy and update the content a bit; this would smash the charts.

I'm really amazed that so many people all over this website basically beg for a game JUST LIKE AC or how many sit around and say that a game like it could never happen.

From the exploration (A++++++++) to the loot (A+) to the class system (A+++++++) to the exp/leveling (A+++++++) to the lore/stories/udpates/etc. etc. etc.

This game was truly a great game. The reality is that we will probably never see this get replaced/updated. We need to do something....SOMETHING.

• fonoifonoi Member UncommonPosts: 56
    I agree about the Grind, AC has an enormous grind. If I had a private server, if possible it would be 300% xp gains.