Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stupid Move

Comments

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by psiic

I am a huge supporter of ESO, but honestly zenimax needs to grow a brain. 

Pushing another beta weekend without a client side patch to show some progress this close to release was a moronic move.

All this weekend is doing is showing how badly the game is still broken, and how little progress they are making.

{mod edit}

A lot of the people I had convinced to give it a chance are now questioning zenimax's experience and ability to actually release a stable solid client in less than 30 days.

Really stupid marketing guys.

If they are trying out better hardware setup I guess they have to do it with the old build so they can see how much better it is. If the test was success the next one should be with the patched new client.

Edit; I mean, chances are that they are actually doing some testing instead of trying to present as smooth as possible "demo" for the masses, I'd rather have worse demo but better launch performance.

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989

When will you ppl stop trying to interject your opinions on betas when you have no clue the process a given company has going?

Stupid move? Clueless testers is more like it

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• TerminalDeityTerminalDeity Member UncommonPosts: 133
    This is a beta weekend, not a sales tool for Elder Scrolls Online. You are not supposed to "enjoy" the game. You are supposed to be testing it, so that they can offer an enjoyable experience at launch. How do some of you manage to be intelligent enough to operate a computer, yet not be able to grasp this concept?
    Originally posted by TerminalDeity
    This is a beta weekend, not a sales tool for Elder Scrolls Online. You are not supposed to "enjoy" the game. You are supposed to be testing it, so that they can offer an enjoyable experience at launch. How do some of you manage to be intelligent enough to operate a computer, yet not be able to grasp this concept?

^ +A Bacon Cheeseburger

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

Originally posted by TerminalDeity

why would the announcement on the launcher be ...."pre-order now...."? if this wasn't a marketing campaign.

• GPrestigeGPrestige Member UncommonPosts: 523
    Originally posted by LisaFlexy22
    Guess you didn't read the leaked patch notes for the PTS server

Are you saying that the average consumer, who barely researches a lot of their purchases in-depth before they buy, should have to try and find LEAKED patch notes to base their decision off of? Are you kidding?

Perhaps those of you diehard fans who refuse to acknowledge the shortcomings of this game think it is a requirement, but overall it is going to hurt Zenimax in the end. They pushed out a very publicized beta, and had nothing but negative comments from people giving it a try for the first time. Hell, if you watched the Twitch streams, the chat alone was an indication of the overall disdain for this game.

Some people will like it, most will not. Get used to it. This is not going to be the be-all end-all MMO some of you are touting it to be.

-Computer specs no one cares about: check.

-MMOs played no one cares about: check.

-Xfire stats no one cares about: check.

-Signature no one cares about: check.

------------------------------------------------------------
    -Narcissism: check.

• KrigerKriger Member Posts: 34

I would have loved to help stress test things this weekend, but some of the bugs frustrated me so much I finally just gave up. "Talk to npc, try to sell things. Locked in can't do anything but stare at a pretty picture of the vendor">"Log out then back in, resume attempting to clear my bags so I may progress with testing. Manage to sell an item or two more then poof, stufk on pretty close up of npc vendor again. Become frustrated so log out for an hour or so." >"Log back in, cross fingers and try to sell. Once again treated to an awesome closeup of an npc and a shop interface that doesn't work. Throw up hands, log out and uninstall." 

I think I like the game, but its hard to tell. I can understand wanting to purely stress test, thats fine, but if you have a better working version I don't understand why you wouldn't want to stress test that in hopes of finding errors with it while you are stress testing. I followed the news here before the NDA lifted. All the chat was toxic and horrible (mainly due to people who had played and enjoy it not being able to defend their opinions with examples), but then the NDA lifted and it was like a breath of fresh air. My interest was piqued and I started to take notice. As a "on the fence'r" this beta weekend gives me serious pause about what will be available at release. Most mmo's have been horrible at release and I / we should all know that by now, but we all hope it won't be so. I played FFXIV at release and I died so much against the horrible login boss. I think this will be one of the first MMO's in a good while that I am going to wait and see. I wouldn't be surprised by all the chatter here this weekend if I am not the only one taking this stance. I agree with a previous poster they missed a heck of a chance with the huge distribution of keys and (from what I've been able to read  on these forums) using a fairly old version.

Over the course of the day I have seen a ton of people defending the game, and about the same number deriding it. The more I look, the worse it gets to the point that most of the posts boil down to a "well you have to get to above (X) level, or play for (X+) hours to get to the real game. For me at least I couldn't even get to those points because of problems that may (or may not) have been easily fixed by a newer version, so sadly I'm having to pass on helping stress test in the hopes that I don't sour my opinion of the game before release. 

This space reserved for pithy comment.

• vzerovvzerov Member Posts: 125
    While i like the game so far and still planning to preorder it, i do agree with you.
  • reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by Gestankfaust

When will you ppl stop trying to interject your opinions on betas when you have no clue the process a given company has going?

This statement would have been true 10 years ago, but open beta hasn't been about testing for quite a while now.

Originally posted by reeereee
    Originally posted by Gestankfaust

This statement would have been true 10 years ago, but open beta hasn't been about testing for quite a while now.

Not an open beta. Was another stress test with an older client than the private test is using.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    The people in the stress test beta are not even playing the current build. You are basically bitching about stuff that was fixed 2 months ago.
  • DeddmeatDeddmeat Member UncommonPosts: 387

If since lat time they fixed some bugs .. it's still beta testing as when mmo companies fix bug's they generally tend to screw something else up. Might explain how this time there were a load more bugs than last

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

This is common practice for MMO's.  They pinpoint weak points and try to purposely exploit them.  What do you think stress tests are?  Having older versions potentially mean more things can go wrong.  This is by plan.  Why do you think companies have fire drills?  Those drills are so that people are prepared and can be operate under adverse conditions.  Stress tests are specifically to stress something to the breaking point, and often past it.  This will allow them to identify the problems more quickly and get the service you are paying for back up and running as soon as possible.

There will likely be one more beta test.  I'm sure it will have one of the latest builds, and most notably, collision detection.  I don't think it's a stupid move.  I don't see much negative to it.  They gave out an enormous amount of free keys, so I don't think marketing is their problem right now.  About a month ago, I couldn't say that though.  

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by Ppiper
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    The people in the stress test beta are not even playing the current build. You are basically bitching about stuff that was fixed 2 months ago.

people react to what they are currently playing not something that has supposedly been fixed yet not available to most. How are we supposed to know this? As of now, the current build I have has some serious bugs and unless I play another beta with supposed fixes, I won't buy it.

Some people just don't understand bugs in relation to AAA games.  They get fixed.  Not buying a AAA MMO because of a bug is absolutely silly.  If you are playing some indie game with a small staff that is inexperienced, then I would understand the hesitation.  I've probably played a dozen beta's, and they ALWAYS get fixed.  

If you don't like the game systems, then that's another issue all together.  But not buying a game because of a bug?  Apparently you don't understand how the genre works.  It has a monthly sub for a reason.  

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Problem is they hyped for 2 weeks a bunch of changes to ESO that the fence sitters were excited about, then they put NONE of them in the game. 

Did they "hype" it or did someone post it somewhere and then everyone started talking about it?

Is that really "hype".

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

I am a huge supporter of ESO, but honestly zenimax needs to grow a brain. 

Pushing another beta weekend without a client side patch to show some progress this close to release was a moronic move.

All this weekend is doing is showing how badly the game is still broken, and how little progress they are making.

{mod edit}

A lot of the people I had convinced to give it a chance are now questioning zenimax's experience and ability to actually release a stable solid client in less than 30 days.

Really stupid marketing guys.

If seeing the fixed features is all so important to you to make you hold off pre ordering or even playing at launch than do it.  You can always try the "fixed" version of the game after launch when they do a trial after however many months it takes for them to do that.  The current build has all I need to decide to purchase the game.  I have no idea how long I'll be playing it but I know I will at least be giving it a try.

Yea there are bugs that will still be their when the game launches along with some new ones I'm sure and there are features I would like to see that are missing but it doesn't have to be perfect only close enough to be worth spending the money to give it a try.

• maxjammaxjam Member UncommonPosts: 44

Whether or not it is the latest client is beside the point imo - for whatever reason Zenimax have invited many, many people into this weekends beta/stress test.  The vast majority of these people aren't going to be true beta testers, they aren't going to report bugs and they care little for stress tests, they want to try out a new game and make a decision on whether to buy it or not.  

Rightly or wrongly, open beta is a massive sales pitch.

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Problem is they hyped for 2 weeks a bunch of changes to ESO that the fence sitters were excited about, then they put NONE of them in the game. 

Did they "hype" it or did someone post it somewhere and then everyone started talking about it?

Is that really "hype".

You've been around long enough, Sovrath. To know that you can't bring logic into a discussion like this.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    Originally posted by Jyiiga

As much as I love the game, we are a month out now.

It is going to release a buggy mess and many of the bugs are going to block progression.

Exactly my point I love the game, and am so eager to get in and playing in 28 days. 

I am a fan, just not a rampant fanbois blind to reality.

This game is in serious trouble, not just in bugs, or that the core testers are whispering high level content is non-existent, not in the fact they have not even started optimizations, not in the fact some content is not even itemized yet, not in the fact 90% of the game zones have not been load tested, not that there has been no class balancing for pvp, or any significant pvp testing at all. 

Where the real issue begins and ends is in the theory of one server fits all, the concept is wonderful, their experience, and execution are flawed and potentially catastrophic. 

When tunneling one content one server, a flaw or failure in one server, be it hardware or software can totally and completely bring the whole bloody mess come tumbling down.

As the game sits now you have people staggering in over a weekend and it is still having severe load issues at time, come early access day one, you are going to have a million + people all trying to force their way into the game on the same server thru the same pipeline, thru that same prison zone. 

This my friends is a recipe for doom. 

However if they removed the prison and each of us started in one of the three starter islands instead, then they are splitting the load among three servers and three pipelines. One pipeline gets overloaded they could temporarily suspend creating characters on that alliance to keep that pipeline from crashing.

But instead their inexperience in multiplayer game construction is blaring through and they are trying to narrate a single player storyline RPG experience in a multiplayer game platform.

The game needs more time in beta plain and simple, but instead of learning from the success and failures of developers that came before them, they are going to make the same mistakes that have been made time and again and rush to meet an unrealistic launch window.

As a result all these rabid fanbois will transform overnight to rabid haters as they always do when reality smacks their delusion in the face, then they go wild like the animals they really are and do nothing but try and ruin everyones enjoyment and gaming experience in and off the game.

Originally posted by Roin

Is that really "hype".

You've been around long enough, Sovrath. To know that you can't bring logic into a discussion like this.

but you know ...

Sometimes one thinks "oh sure, maybe if I point out the obvious someone might take a step back and realize that it doesn't have to be all "sturm und drang".

But then again, some people just feel more comfortable residing in that sort of "place".

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

Is that really "hype".

but you know ...

Sometimes one thinks "oh sure, maybe if I point out the obvious someone might take a step back and realize that it doesn't have to be all "sturm und drang".

But then again, some people just feel more comfortable residing in that sort of "place".

Wait, so they released a bunch of really anticipated changes and expected no one to get excited or hyped about them? Why release the info at all then?

What's the point of a "next" beta iteration if they don't patch the client and server?

* touches finger to tip of nose * 

Makes no sense and only creates anger , discontent, and costs them potential customers that were expecting something different.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    Originally posted by Jyiiga

As much as I love the game, we are a month out now.

It is going to release a buggy mess and many of the bugs are going to block progression.

Exactly my point I love the game, and am so eager to get in and playing in 28 days. 

I am a fan, just not a rampant fanbois blind to reality.

This game is in serious trouble, not just in bugs, or that the core testers are whispering high level content is non-existent, not in the fact they have not even started optimizations, not in the fact some content is not even itemized yet, not in the fact 90% of the game zones have not been load tested, not that there has been no class balancing for pvp, or any significant pvp testing at all. 

Where the real issue begins and ends is in the theory of one server fits all, the concept is wonderful, their experience, and execution are flawed and potentially catastrophic. 

When tunneling one content one server, a flaw or failure in one server, be it hardware or software can totally and completely bring the whole bloody mess come tumbling down.

As the game sits now you have people staggering in over a weekend and it is still having severe load issues at time, come early access day one, you are going to have a million + people all trying to force their way into the game on the same server thru the same pipeline, thru that same prison zone. 

This my friends is a recipe for doom. 

However if they removed the prison and each of us started in one of the three starter islands instead, then they are splitting the load among three servers and three pipelines. One pipeline gets overloaded they could temporarily suspend creating characters on that alliance to keep that pipeline from crashing.

But instead their inexperience in multiplayer game construction is blaring through and they are trying to narrate a single player storyline RPG experience in a multiplayer game platform.

The game needs more time in beta plain and simple, but instead of learning from the success and failures of developers that came before them, they are going to make the same mistakes that have been made time and again and rush to meet an unrealistic launch window.

As a result all these rabid fanbois will transform overnight to rabid haters as they always do when reality smacks their delusion in the face, then they go wild like the animals they really are and do nothing but try and ruin everyones enjoyment and gaming experience in and off the game.

for being a fan of the game you claim to be you sure do bash everything about it. Also the only ones hyping anything right now are the fans and testers whom posted leaked notes all over the place. My question for you though is if you love the game so much yet are here bashing it why not just wait for release of the game? Why do you feel you have to play beta after beta especially when the first testing headline is stress testing and they are trying intentionally to break the servers by inviting millions of people? If a closed beta patch is out there on their public test realm yet all I hear you saying is how you want it now and are bitching because you didnt get it this beta weekend. Ever think maybe they are testing it still and its buggy? Those leaked notes do involve system mechanics and things that can break the game not just bugs yet you want them rushing it so you can play it? 

Im not a blind fan either but all Im seeing in this thread is hate towards a game because you didnt get what you wanted and now you are dooming it to fail because they didnt release something you really got your hopes up for. If you want to hate on the game at least find some things to actually hate on besides here-say about a leaked patch. Hell even hate on the late game while your at it based on some rumors...  Some of us do know what the game is like later on and its not broken like you are trying to portray.

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

Is that really "hype".

but you know ...

Wait, so they released a bunch of really anticipated changes and expected no one to get excited or hyped about them? Why release the info at all then?

What's the point of a "next" beta iteration if they don't patch the client and server?

Makes no sense and only creates anger , discontent, and costs them potential customers that were expecting something different.

It makes no sense to test out the new updates if they are working out bugs in the networking code. I know its hard to understand, be strong angry one.

Is that really "hype".

but you know ...

I don't exactly understand what reddit is but it seems that "someone" that wasn't Zenimax (and if I'm wrong about that please say) posted some changes. which were summarily taken down and then reposted. (edit: someone named "Mr. Bluebird (?) doesn't sound like Zenimax "hyped this" at all.

Zenimax then said "no, these will not be in the beta they are still on the PTS". They then said "this beta is a stress test".

and yet, once again, "the players" did this to themselves.

you * did * this * to * you.

• HengistHengist Member RarePosts: 1,282

Originally posted by Sovrath Originally posted by Roin Originally posted by Sovrath Originally posted by psiic Problem is they hyped for 2 weeks a bunch of changes to ESO that the fence sitters were excited about, then they put NONE of them in the game. 
    Did they "hype" it or did someone post it somewhere and then everyone started talking about it? Is that really "hype".
    but you know ... Sometimes one thinks "oh sure, maybe if I point out the obvious someone might take a step back and realize that it doesn't have to be all "sturm und drang". But then again, some people just feel more comfortable residing in that sort of "place".

You do realize that they did patch the client and server, right?

Just not the one we're playing over the weekend, the Closed Test got all of those changes, which is pretty much what Zenimax said, they never were intended for for the weekend test.