Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Am I missing something? [mod edit]

Comments

• ElboneElbone Member UncommonPosts: 87
    I adored Elder Scroll(all of them) and totally wasted 20 hours in this game trying for it to be fun. Basically just playing for the lore but so many older games(mmo) are more satisfying to play right now, I can only hope they get their *#$%* together and polish it to 2014 standards soon.
  • ayeshunayeshun Member Posts: 5
    @FearU ; The game will not appeal to everyone. However, there are many gamers that enjoy it. The best you can do is be patient for a game that suits you and your friends. There are many games on the horizon and more than likely one will capture you and your friends' attention.

• GuyClinchGuyClinch Member CommonPosts: 485

I haven't played this game a ton yet - my first beta. But wow is it better then the haters told me. Best graphics - much better quests then XIV. Its pretty fun already and supposedly the version on the PTS is even better. Hate all you want - but now that I played it first hand.. I don't believe the haters.

If you are not smart enough to figure out how to group in the game in less the 15 minutes - likely MMOs aren't for you. 

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

If there is one thing I have picked up over the past few years reading forum posts on games leading up to release, is that Beta event's don't mean squat when it comes to determining the longevity of an MMORPG. Highly anticipated games always have a honeymoon period, and Betas are more like the dating phase. So, I take what the OP said and file it away. I also take what those who have responded to the OP and filed it away. But the telltale factor will be what the player base is saying somewhere between 30 and 60 days.

I'll wait.

That aside, some of you who are criticizing the OP for not spending enough time in this game are only saying that because you like it. I do it all the time myself. I make no apologies. If I don't like a game after 2-3 hours......(God, if I even get that far, I've wasted my life), I stop playing it. I don't think I played Diablows 3 for more than 2-3 hrs. I have my opinions and no one can tell me they aren't valid. It's just a cheap cop out to tell someone their opinion is wrong sine they clearly haven't logged enough hours to speak to the game. You don't need hours to know why you don't like it.

• lars1134lars1134 Member Posts: 106

I find it truly astonishing that so many people in this thread are arguing that a game will get 'fun' after X levels. 

A game is made to be fun, period. If playing a game does not involve fun until X levels, than that game has (partly) failed. No casual gamer will play trough 20 hours of mediocre gameplay only with the promise of getting to the 'fun' part. 

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Sounds like the OP and his friends were bored and decided to play this "free weekend" in ESO. They appear to play lots of F2P games, so a quick "drive-through trial" for an MMO is something they're probably used to.

They didn't like the game. No problem, there's hundreds of F2P games they can still try. They are clearly not part of the target audience for ESO. No game on earth will please everyone.

• SethalosSethalos Member UncommonPosts: 12

I'm divided about the game so far. The lore, crafting system, and world are outstanding. The combat, Social UI, and quests are sub par.

The Combat though is the one Con that is just unacceptable for me at the moment. It's clumsy, slow, and unintuitive.

However, pretty much everything else I have been really enjoying. The character creation is outstanding, the graphics (dialed up) are excellent, the music is some of the best I've ever heard in an MMO, and the background/Lore is just amazing.

I realize this is still Beta so I have no plans of throwing the game under the bus just yet, I have pre-ordered the Imperial edition and really look forward to playing in the future.

Having said that, if they are going to charge for the game + a sub fee, as well as in game purchases I won't be playing long unless there are some pretty substantial changes in the future.

-Seth

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

First to say i like Skyrim very much - but TESO sucks so far.

I will play it nevertheless for a while bcs i can play with some Friends n Family until i can not stomach it longer or maybe it surprises me and gets better with new Version-Builds and higher Levels.

Good:
    I found an Avatar style that does not make me upset, its even a male so imho Character Generation is average and to an acceptable degree the style is Elder Scrolls alike.

Neutral:
    Generic Quests (though somehow fitting into the Lore).

Bad:
    Introduction Tutorial is pretty crap and boring (and lacking still info).
    Controls are average to below average (like in Skyrim).
    Inventory sucks (like in Skyrim).
    Fighting is boring.
    3PV is very bad (like in Skyrim).
    Many broken quests (i hope they will fix that for the release).

World, Structures, Mobs and NPCs look unimpressive - i have Ultra Settings and the game looks cheap and low quality in every degree, even the loading pictures look cheap (i have to say i liked a single one of them despite that though).

Comparing a Nord City in Skyrim to TESO is comparing Cola with Pepsi...

Good Luck!

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741

Made it to level 13. Game is just boring and ugly. It was very rare that I was actually having fun. Unfortunately, I have cancelled my preorder.

Tried both ESO and Wildstar. Will not be playing either. Back to SWTOR for me. Have fun all!

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• versulasversulas Member UncommonPosts: 288
    Originally posted by FearU

The menu systems really need some work as well. It took 15 minutes and some googling just to find each other and group up. We would know where to find it next time (there won't be a next time so no worries) but to say the menu system is unintuitive is an understatement.

The skills and abilities system is one of the most generic offerings I've seen in a while. It consists of leveling up, clicking a plus, get some new skill. That's if you remember to do so, 2 of our party forgot about it and spent the first couple of hours spamming 1 and clicking their mouse!

How are the menu buttons at the top of the screen not intuitive? How is that not the first place you check to find anything not directly related to the gameplay? Is this your first ever computer game, let alone MMO?

And you're really blaming the devs for not making it easier to spec? You didn't mention how the game shows you step-by-step how to do it 1min. into the tutorial and yet your friends "forgot" when giant white text flashes across their screen every time they gained a skill point?

I fully understand that whether the game is considered good or not is highly subjective, but do you really want them to dumb down and idiot-proof their game even more? You'd hardly be able to click a button without having flashing, neon help signs blanketing half your screen if it was any easier to use. Most WoW add-ons are harder to learn how to use than the entire ESO UI.

• BluewhitehellBluewhitehell Member Posts: 66
    Originally posted by lars1134

I find it truly astonishing that so many people in this thread are arguing that a game will get 'fun' after X levels. 

A game is made to be fun, period. If playing a game does not involve fun until X levels, than that game has (partly) failed. No casual gamer will play trough 20 hours of mediocre gameplay only with the promise of getting to the 'fun' part. 

It depends on the genre.....

If it's a mobile game, or action game, I'd agree that the game has to be fun from the start.

But it's a RPG, the fun of RPG mostly come from character progression, and the emotional attachment came from character progression, and THAT needs time to develop. 

Some game playing experience just won't come until later.

• BlasphimBlasphim Member UncommonPosts: 354
    Originally posted by fungihoujo

Why are people saying there is depth to this game?

Skyrim was a shallow, single player game that is greatly simplified compared to others of its ilk (take Witcher for example), and yet it still managed to hit a good balance between a great variety in crafting and combat, a massive world to explore, and there being something amazing and hidden everywhere you go. Simple enough for casual players to enjoy- yet more than enough there to keep you interested.

ESO is so far one of the most dumbed down games I have played- the variety of playstyle has been narrowed into classes, weaponry choices are heavily linked to abilities, the dual wielding possibilities have simply been removed, the skill tree is as sterile as can be for combat purposes, the variability in playstyle within each class is grossly underwhelming.

Playstyle itself has been shunted- range removed from weapons, combat itself is even clunkier than melee in Skyrim was, the game clearly follows a GCD system yet seems to think if it doesn't put the numbers there, nobody will notice. Which is pretty much exactly what the game is trying to do- if we don't give you direction with a map it'll seem deep because we are making it less convenient for the average player to get to where they want to go. If we make you run across the zone every time you want to do something, it'll seem like the game has longevity. If we make most of your combat time spamming the attack button, it'll seem awesome cuz all those games with many hotkeys to press all the time have auto attack which is super lazy, and you just press 2- but spamming your left mouse key is hardcore and epic and DEEP, so DEEP!!

This game is a joke. I don't even think it's worth being f2p- but AAA sub game? Not a chance. "Oh, but the world pvp is fantastic!" Of course it is, because to world pvp nuts- having world pvp instantly makes it fantastic, especially if it's not enjoyable- because enjoyment attracts newblets.

If you're going to make a game based on the world pvp- throw people into it right away. Don't waste our time with ten hours of fetch quests and running- people are saying 'most people who didn't like the game stopped in the first ten hours, so what do they know?' well here's what they know- they just played ten boring hours. First impressions are like gold in everything- why do you think action movies always start with a chase, why criminal dramas start with a suspenseful murder, why books have a prologue to set the scene.

What do we get in TESO? You're breaking from a prison (homage- fair enough), and oh no, a skeleton might come at you... and there's some demons like, standing around outside, though it is hard to tell since those demons are outnumbered 50-1 by all the other escapees. And then ooga booga magic, poof- you're in the real world, start fetching stuff for farmers.

Do this for ten hours. There's very little of interest to explore, crafting is as dumbed down as can be, oh and there is nothing of interest in any of those chests or nooks and crannies. Combat is all short range now, since enemies don't react until you're in their grill and don't call allies to them- everything about the sneaking/archery/caster playstyle that you could use in previous TES games has zero purpose here.

This game has taken Skyrim- and made EVERYTHING about it bland. And I'm not a Skyrim fanboi by any means- I enjoyed Morrowwind, Oblivion, and Skyrim, but only moderately- all three of them blow this game out of the water in every single aspect.

Yes, I get it- you have to do certain things for balance in an mmo... but you should not have to streamline this much to balance your pvp. You don't even have to manually target enemies in this game, that alone makes this game a very shallow (yet apparantly, deep enough for some people here) attempt to make yet another point and click hotkey spammer (or left mouse key spammer).

I don't know why this game can't be played with a controller- because it sure as heck is simplistic enough to be.

I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my thought and opinions on this game go now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will want to know how you looked inside my head and came to many of the same conclusions I did.

• dukegr13dukegr13 Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by Fuggly
    After more weekends playing this TESO then i care to count, I agree with the OP. I think exactly like that guy, Angry Joe was it? I think like he did in his reviews. The game is dull, generic, boring. I feels cheap even for a cheap mmo. I tried, i tried for many many weekends to like it, I just cant do it. It feels like it came from the early 2000's somewhere with bad  graphics and on rails generic  questing and levelling. Some people like it, thats fine. Some people, aptly named rabid fanboys REALLY like it and thats fine too. I don't like it, it is my opinion that the game is terribly unintuitive and very much so generically on rails. I took the money i had set aside for it, bought a case of beer and Rust alpha access. /out

i couldnt agree more with this post

• skyline385skyline385 Member Posts: 564
    Originally posted by dukegr13
    Originally posted by Fuggly
    After more weekends playing this TESO then i care to count, I agree with the OP. I think exactly like that guy, Angry Joe was it? I think like he did in his reviews. The game is dull, generic, boring. I feels cheap even for a cheap mmo. I tried, i tried for many many weekends to like it, I just cant do it. It feels like it came from the early 2000's somewhere with bad  graphics and on rails generic  questing and levelling. Some people like it, thats fine. Some people, aptly named rabid fanboys REALLY like it and thats fine too. I don't like it, it is my opinion that the game is terribly unintuitive and very much so generically on rails. I took the money i had set aside for it, bought a case of beer and Rust alpha access. /out

i couldnt agree more with this post

Except that Angry Joe released a second review (after he managed to get out of the tutorial zones) in which he said to enjoy the game and is planning on actively playing it. Funny how people reference him without knowing the full story. In the Wildstar preview as well, he said about going for ESO over Wildstar personally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I82pz60iGL0

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

It takes at least 20 hours of trying...(and not of complaining) ... to find out what any MMORPG is about..

Well that's a pretty arbitrary claim.

Based on what? Where does this 20 hours come from? Is there some established and independently verified "standard" that's been tested and proven for such a thing? Or are you just grasping things out of thin air?

That sounds to me like an apologist argument intended only to undermine negative opinions of a game you happen to enjoy.

Very few people are going to put 20 hours into something they're not enjoying. Unless, of course, the concern of making sure they did their "20 hours" of due diligence to satisfy the arbitrary requirements of random people on a gaming forum is that important to them.

How many hours did you play OP?

My guess would be "as many as it took for him to realize whether he enjoyed the game enough to keep playing or not."  Which is exactly as long as anyone ever needs to play any game, or participate in any voluntary activity.

(took about ten hours before the game pulled me in and never let me go)

But how could you know? You had only put in half the number of hours you, yourself, told the OP was required to "find out what any MMORPG is about". Yet you turn around and tell us that it pulled you in in half that time? How? You clearly, by your own claim, hadn't put in the 20 hours required to "get it" yet. 

So, the whole "20 hours" thing applies to the OP, but not to you? Hmm....

Ohh... Wait...  I get it. 20 hours is only required if you're critical of the game. If you're praising of it, then there is no minimal time requirement. Of course. It all makes sense now... You're just using more selective apologist "logic".

And then on top of that.... its not everyones game... combat is not flashy but very tactical..  You cant get access to PvP untill you played like 15 hours and got to level 10... there is much to explore and enjoy, but then you need to choose your won path..

Well you got the "its not everyones game" part right. No game is everyone's game... Now if you'd just gotten to that point at the beginning of your post, and not bothered with all the apologist logic and arbitrary, made-up-on-the-spot "20 hours to "get" a game" nonsense, your post would have been a lot more reasonable.

• DaxamarDaxamar Member UncommonPosts: 593

Sorry you didnt like the game. Good luck with whatever your playing next.

I dont know about taking 20 hours for a game to kick in. I sually give it past lvl 10. No matter how many hours that is. MMOs dont get better till after lvl 10 IMO.

I found none of the problems the OP stated, and the game hooked me in after I got out of Coldharbour.

Bought the game, CE. and a case of beer.

• ShavaKaShavaKa Member UncommonPosts: 91
    Originally posted by FearU

A couple of friends and I signed up for the beta this weekend to try out ESO. We've been seeing/hearing mixed but generally good things about the game and figured this would be a good opportunity to try before we buy especially given the high cost of it. Our experience with past Elder Scrolls games is mixed, personally I've played Oblivion and Skyrim but my friends range from not played at all to played a little bit.

As you probably see from the title we were left extremely disappointed. The setting is completely generic fantasy and certainly little different to Skyrim although probably far less interesting. The quests are the typical thing you find in MMOs these days and range from killing stuff to clicking a bunch of stuff or avoiding a bunch of stuff while clicking other stuff. The game seems to bring very little innovation to the table and we were bored within a couple of hours.

The menu systems really need some work as well. It took 15 minutes and some googling just to find each other and group up. We would know where to find it next time (there won't be a next time so no worries) but to say the menu system is unintuitive is an understatement.

The skills and abilities system is one of the most generic offerings I've seen in a while. It consists of leveling up, clicking a plus, get some new skill. That's if you remember to do so, 2 of our party forgot about it and spent the first couple of hours spamming 1 and clicking their mouse!

Combat is fairly interesting in that its one of the worse examples I've seen in recent times. It used to be that people screamed "console port!" when confronted with lackluster controls and dumbed down skills, that feeling is written all over this game as well. Its certainly not the worst example but its far from ideal on a PC.

None of us can justify the up front cost + sub on this game when there are far better games already in our libraries and the same generic MMOs on offer that are f2p. I don't understand the hype/positivity surrounding ESO, the only thing I can put it down to is a desire to play a multiplayer Elder Scrolls game from people who love the franchise. ESO will be a definite miss within my group of friends at least.

Yes there are some typical MMO mechanics, I can agree there, generic story that lays the bad guy out right off the bat and typical quest progression which these MMOs can't seem to be intuitive about, it's a model that has kept people playing but are sick of along with the bad guy epic story line. They can't seem to add mystery to these games when it comes to story  and Instead of figuring it out and building up the story baddies as you go, it all pours out in front of you.

I din't have a problem with the menu system, I think that's pretty picky of you and your friends. Can't you figure it out? You need google mega corporation to hold your hand?

The skill system is awesome so far, there's much depth even into political skill perks from the NPC guilds. Morphing skills was a nice feature, I felt like I had control of where I wanted my character to progress based on things I wanted to do without crunching numbers for the best build, I built based on fun. Once again, maybe you could search google to let you know when you leveled up? Maybe you need a google add-on?

Combat was fine and fun, it had RPG written all over it as well as enough action to keep you on your toes - this isn't Tera or your GW2 buddy. There's patches coming that add collision detection to the NPC models, so hits feel like they hit - there's so much good stuff coming all you need to do is research it man! Remember google? It can be used for way more than  telling you what to do.

What about exploration? Did you even read the quests or investigate NPCs that didn't have a black marker? There's hidden stuff waiting to be discovered and your character isn't told where it is! Heck yeah! What about the standing lore you discover in the game? That's still there like it was in Skyrim and games before, you find it everywhere, you find cultures! Don't you care about history? Do you see what capitalism has done to you boy? Nothing's good enough for you, everything is taken for granted, something new comes along and it's broken, the shiny toy has a scratch and you don't like it.

Yes the cost is steep - but this IS WAY BETTER than the MMO hold your hand park that you seem to like.... Way better, and this is just beta. I'm way more hopeful for this game because it's off the beaten path in many areas and Zenimax is listening to the player feedback.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by KaitarBesh

I have been all over the board in my opinion about this game since it's announcement a few years ago. First I was very interested, then when they announced faction locks and PVP focus I lost a lot of hope and interest, but then I read about some of the features and my interest peaked again. I beta tested it once, disliked the linear starter islands and hand-holding there, almost gave up hope...did another beta test and pushed past the starter zones that locked you in (I'm glad this feature will be optional, I may do the starter zone just to collect books/skyshards and explore quests that I didn't find the first time but I HATE being in a linear zone with little exploration and being led on a leash).

The game hooked me this last beta, especially with announced changes coming and future patches that are going to bring more content that sounds enjoyable to me. So I'm not someone who is coming here white-knighting the game. Some features are rough and need work. Yes, it's a themepark-ish game, but not to the extent that WoW has become or all it's various and many clones.

First - how can you say the skill system is generic or limiting or sucks? Are you kidding? You can literally build -almost- anything you want, and at least you get a heck of a lot more freedom than most themeparks in this regard. I'm not even going to bother to min/max in this game, I'm just going to build what I find fun and find other players that feel the same to group with or join a guild with.

There is a ton of Lore to be found off the beaten path in the form of books, treasure maps, unmarked quests and POI hints (thank you Zenimax for not just labeling them "POINT OF INTEREST COME HERE FOR EXP DUR DUR" like that utter disaster of linear  hand-holding crapfest that was GW2). If you don't like reading or Lore? I guess you shouldn't be playing an ES game anyway. As you said, there are a ton of F2P options that cater towards the flashy, fast, hand-holding power level content you and your friends seem to prefer.

The quests, many of them, are slightly "meh", but then again... there are many, many quests out there off the beaten path that add flavor to the world and are interesting enough from a Lore standpoint to make me want to go find and finish them.

Was grouping really that hard to figure out that you had to Google it? It took my spouse and I all of 3 minutes to figure out how to group and travel to one another. Not rocket science. And I'm sick of games that take easy to figure out features like grouping and have to lead you along every little button click to let you know how to do EVERYTHING. My first MMO was FFXI. It dropped you into the world with virtually no tutorial, no explanation beyond very...very basic (and sometimes very vague) instructions and had a steep learning curve. And yet that game did very well for its time, and no one griped that it was too hard to figure out how to group or craft or find hinted at quest objectives. And that game was FAR harder to navigate than ESO. Why have gamers come to expect everything must be laid out for them in dumbed-down terms and painfully lengthy tutorials? Do gamers just want a "game" that plays itself and gets them to max level and gets all their gear and builds for them the perfect character while they sit back and watch cutscenes and epic bossfights?

Because that seems to be what a lot of MMO "gamers" want these days.

ESO isn't perfect, by a long shot, but it's not horrible either, not by a long shot. It's a diamond in the rough with tons of potential. I, for one, will be playing it. I am also hopeful for EQN, but that game is at least a year (probably more) off on the horizon, and I've had my fill of all those 'other, better" F2P games (seriously, mention one? Because I find them all to be utter junk clones of one another).

This was a refreshing read and a very balanced and more realistic representation of the average tester or someone who has been on the fence I think. 

There Is Always Hope!

• bostonjonbostonjon Member Posts: 19

After playing in a couple betas now I also agree this game is just not for me. Its ok not to like every game, for me ESO just doesn't provide an enjoyable experience. 

• st3v3b0st3v3b0 Member UncommonPosts: 155
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

It takes at least 20 hours of trying...(and not of complaining) ... to find out what any MMORPG is about..

This has to be one of the most absurd statements I have ever read.  It should not take you 20 hours to know whether you like a game or not.  I should catch you from the get go.  Would you sit through a 20 hour movie if the first 3 hours were shit?  I know I sure as hell wouldn't.  

If the menu's and UI is clunky then that is poor research on their part as there are tons of games with great interfaces OR great add-ons that make the default even better.  If combat is dull and looks like the original EQ's jittery animations then it is poor production work.  Some people can look past things like this, others cant.  This game has had more controversary around it than any other MMO of recent history regarding the love/hate.  That in itself should say a lot.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Originally posted by ikcin
    Megaserever can hold thousands of players in fact, but you cannot play with all of them, you can play with up to few dozens in every limited area of the fragmented world. So ESO or GW2 are not MMORPGs even by your definition. I can play with some other players in every multiplayer game, and I doubt a chat system makes MMO :)

Why are you blatantly lying?

• AzzrasAzzras Member UncommonPosts: 407
    Megaserever can hold thousands of players in fact, but you cannot play with all of them, you can play with up to few dozens in every limited area of the fragmented world. So ESO or GW2 are not MMORPGs even by your definition. I can play with some other players in every multiplayer game, and I doubt a chat system makes MMO :)

Videos I've seen have had hundreds of players on screen with little to no lag.

Not sure what cave you were hiding in.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

I would like to turn this around and ask which MMO lets you play with thousand players at the same time in the same area? There is always some restriction going on. It also depends a lot on the kind of MMO. The most I have seen at the same time (in a freaky lagshow megabattle ) was in EVE.

As for the megaserver thing. It has one big advantage. Because the community is not divided over many different servers, anyone can play with anyone. Regardless of how many players fit at once within the same zone.

For a player it doesn't really matter most of the time. You are rarely doing anything where having 1000 players around you would be a fun thing. In most MMO's the server would just die or your fps would drop to 0.

• RamsayRamsay Member UncommonPosts: 10

It's a console port - what you expect?

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    Originally posted by Ramsay

It's a console port - what you expect?

/me raises an eyebrow

Huh?

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."