Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Am I missing something? [mod edit]

Comments

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458

[quote]Originally posted by mcrippins

What you can guarantee is that not every game will be to your liking. Some will like this. Some will like Wildstar. Some will not like either. Personally, I can't stand Wildstar, and I love this game. To each their own.[/b][/quote]

I find them both un-inspiring. I can't see what people are hyped-up about either of them. I could be playing either of them right now, and can't find any desire in me to do so.

• Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    Originally posted by Ender4

You aren't missing anything, it is just a bad game. Still better than WildStar but that doesn't take much.

The MMORPG genre is in an awful state atm.

You bring up Wildstar on an hourly basis. It's an entirely different game.

and btw OP I feel you - not sure what the draw is either - it just sucks.

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458

Originally posted by Whiplash931
    Originally posted by Thornrage Originally posted by Iselin I'm way beyond trying to change anyone's mind about this game: like it or don't it's all the same to me.   But this OP really stands out as a perfect example of barely scratching the surface of an MMO that takes time get the hang of. The one thing that keeps coming to mind whenever I play is how different from the WOW-formula themepark this game is in just about all respects. It definitely takes you out of your comfort zone and makes you re-learn how to do just about everything.   I bet a lot of people go into it  thinking "Sorcerer... ok, got it... light armor and a staff or 2"... "DK... heavy armor and melee weapons"....or my original archer build: Nightblade with medium armor.... It wasn't until yesterday that I figured out that my favorite archer is an Altmer Lightning Sorcerer wearing medium armor lol.   But hey, if you want to approach it like WOW, get frustrated it, dismiss it, and tell the world that it sucks, that's OK too... but its your loss.
    This ^^^^^^^
    Maybe the op just didn't have any fun playing the game, hell I know I didn't. To me the game was boring and generic.....but to someone else this may the best thing since sliced bread. IMO if I have to play a game for more than 5-10 hrs just to start having fun then thats a bad thing. Even at low levels a player should have fun playing a game.

"IMO if I have to play a game for more than 5-10 hrs just to start having fun then thats a bad thing. Even at low levels a player should have fun playing a game."

This is a very good and entirely valid point. A game is not nor should it be a 2nd job. You shouldn't ever need to play to some particular "level" before it actually becomes enjoyable. For my part I have played this one through a number of these beta weekends curious to see if it would become fun at some point... It just remains un-inspiring. Too "console" absolutely, not responsive, very nice graphics and sound but that's never enough. It's all strangely generic. As for Wildstar that people are also all hyped up about, found it to be also just un-inspiring. Nothing at all special really just WoW-in-space in so many ways.

• Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    Originally posted by Cetra
    Originally posted by FearU

A couple of friends and I signed up for the beta this weekend to try out ESO. We've been seeing/hearing mixed but generally good things about the game and figured this would be a good opportunity to try before we buy especially given the high cost of it. Our experience with past Elder Scrolls games is mixed, personally I've played Oblivion and Skyrim but my friends range from not played at all to played a little bit.

As you probably see from the title we were left extremely disappointed. The setting is completely generic fantasy and certainly little different to Skyrim although probably far less interesting. The quests are the typical thing you find in MMOs these days and range from killing stuff to clicking a bunch of stuff or avoiding a bunch of stuff while clicking other stuff. The game seems to bring very little innovation to the table and we were bored within a couple of hours.

The menu systems really need some work as well. It took 15 minutes and some googling just to find each other and group up. We would know where to find it next time (there won't be a next time so no worries) but to say the menu system is unintuitive is an understatement.

The skills and abilities system is one of the most generic offerings I've seen in a while. It consists of leveling up, clicking a plus, get some new skill. That's if you remember to do so, 2 of our party forgot about it and spent the first couple of hours spamming 1 and clicking their mouse!

Combat is fairly interesting in that its one of the worse examples I've seen in recent times. It used to be that people screamed "console port!" when confronted with lackluster controls and dumbed down skills, that feeling is written all over this game as well. Its certainly not the worst example but its far from ideal on a PC.

None of us can justify the up front cost + sub on this game when there are far better games already in our libraries and the same generic MMOs on offer that are f2p. I don't understand the hype/positivity surrounding ESO, the only thing I can put it down to is a desire to play a multiplayer Elder Scrolls game from people who love the franchise. ESO will be a definite miss within my group of friends at least.

Go play your silly "far better original and innovative games". dumbass

spoken like a true Chau - unbelievable - made me laugh out loud too

• blythegablythega Member UncommonPosts: 174

Yes.. it is a generic theme park ride with little innovation.  DAOC did the PvP that is in this game years ago and again there is nothing new here apart from some shiny new graphics. (The PvP review youtube videos show it all for what it is)

Character models are clunky, combat system and interface felt awkward, collision system helped somewhat but I still felt disconnected from my character.

I do not see myself spending $89.95 AUD on this game, yet alone an ongoing subscription fee. I am sure people like in all other theme parks will race through the content and play the PvP to death in the first month. After that the moaning will start with a quick run to F2P

• CandyCaneNJCandyCaneNJ Member UncommonPosts: 187

Well, after playing some more of the Beta, my original opinion hasn't changed. I still find it boring :/ 

I decided to check out the Star Wars game because I'm a long time fan of the movies. Now, this is only a VERY low level opinion so it's nowhere close to even being an informed opinion. I am having a blast in the Star Wars MMO! I feel a connection to it so far and really enjoy the graphics/animations. I find nothing boring so far.

Well, looks like possibly SW is the type of MMO for me at the moment. Best wishes to all those who DO find a connection to ESO and find it a lot of fun

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by saker

Originally posted by Whiplash931

Originally posted by Thornrage

Originally posted by Iselin I'm way beyond trying to change anyone's mind about this game: like it or don't it's all the same to me.   But this OP really stands out as a perfect example of barely scratching the surface of an MMO that takes time get the hang of. The one thing that keeps coming to mind whenever I play is how different from the WOW-formula themepark this game is in just about all respects. It definitely takes you out of your comfort zone and makes you re-learn how to do just about everything.   I bet a lot of people go into it  thinking "Sorcerer... ok, got it... light armor and a staff or 2"... "DK... heavy armor and melee weapons"....or my original archer build: Nightblade with medium armor.... It wasn't until yesterday that I figured out that my favorite archer is an Altmer Lightning Sorcerer wearing medium armor lol.   But hey, if you want to approach it like WOW, get frustrated it, dismiss it, and tell the world that it sucks, that's OK too... but its your loss.
    This ^^^^^^^
    Maybe the op just didn't have any fun playing the game, hell I know I didn't. To me the game was boring and generic.....but to someone else this may the best thing since sliced bread. IMO if I have to play a game for more than 5-10 hrs just to start having fun then thats a bad thing. Even at low levels a player should have fun playing a game.

"IMO if I have to play a game for more than 5-10 hrs just to start having fun then thats a bad thing. Even at low levels a player should have fun playing a game."

This is a very good and entirely valid point. A game is not nor should it be a 2nd job. You shouldn't ever need to play to some particular "level" before it actually becomes enjoyable. For my part I have played this one through a number of these beta weekends curious to see if it would become fun at some point... It just remains un-inspiring. Too "console" absolutely, not responsive, very nice graphics and sound but that's never enough. It's all strangely generic. As for Wildstar that people are also all hyped up about, found it to be also just un-inspiring. Nothing at all special really just WoW-in-space in so many ways.

Is there a template for this paragraph highlited in yellow? Reason being it is used on every new game that is in beta or when the game first releases. GW2, TSW, FFXIV all had the same sentence in their forums.

Yes, in most cases games don't start out exciting!  It's like a movie that builds as you go and works into something you enjoy.

A perfect example of an awesome game is WoW. You start out with a short cut scene and then start killing mottled boar, scorpid workers and collecting prickly pear blossoms. This goes on for many hours until you get a few good skills and some decent starting gear. This is how almost every game in existence has been. 

Please use my rebuttal as the new template for this discussion.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 941

I must admit, I am also finding ESO completely and utterly rather dull as well :/ Its just lacking in something.

So far I have got the jist that the game opens up at level 10 and gets better because that's when PvP opens up, so what if one does not PvP due to having slow reactions or 1 hand (right now for the past 10mths I have had no use of my main arm, right handed) due to an injury that may or may not get better, it severaly lacks the amount of computer time I can do ranging from 5 minutes to 40 minutes then a couple of hrs off.

So far from what I have experienced this game as a PvE one is dull, boring and I have to say just does not cut the high cost to buy as well as a monthly subscription. Don't get me wrong here, I do primarily prefer subscription games, I play wow now and again (but have lost interest in this one completely), I play Rift (used to subscribe) play it for free now but I do put money into it to purchase the odd thing or 2 (but a limit is set to how much goes in for the year) which works out to be a years monthly subscription fee anyways. Dropped out of starwars the old republic (not very fair, more interested in money grabbing than anything else) its actually cheaper to be a subscriber but let that slip and you lose everything until you resubscribe again. You cannot spend cash shop tokens made during an active subscription, only when running a subscription, ones made when in F2P mode are still available (big time sucks).

Trying out AoC unchained right now (used to play back in 2008) its changed but verdict is out on this till I have had decent time.

other games neverwinter online and defiance that I am playing as well.

• BluewhitehellBluewhitehell Member Posts: 66
    Originally posted by FearU

A couple of friends and I signed up for the beta this weekend to try out ESO. We've been seeing/hearing mixed but generally good things about the game and figured this would be a good opportunity to try before we buy especially given the high cost of it. Our experience with past Elder Scrolls games is mixed, personally I've played Oblivion and Skyrim but my friends range from not played at all to played a little bit.

As you probably see from the title we were left extremely disappointed. The setting is completely generic fantasy and certainly little different to Skyrim although probably far less interesting. The quests are the typical thing you find in MMOs these days and range from killing stuff to clicking a bunch of stuff or avoiding a bunch of stuff while clicking other stuff. The game seems to bring very little innovation to the table and we were bored within a couple of hours.

The menu systems really need some work as well. It took 15 minutes and some googling just to find each other and group up. We would know where to find it next time (there won't be a next time so no worries) but to say the menu system is unintuitive is an understatement.

The skills and abilities system is one of the most generic offerings I've seen in a while. It consists of leveling up, clicking a plus, get some new skill. That's if you remember to do so, 2 of our party forgot about it and spent the first couple of hours spamming 1 and clicking their mouse!

Combat is fairly interesting in that its one of the worse examples I've seen in recent times. It used to be that people screamed "console port!" when confronted with lackluster controls and dumbed down skills, that feeling is written all over this game as well. Its certainly not the worst example but its far from ideal on a PC.

None of us can justify the up front cost + sub on this game when there are far better games already in our libraries and the same generic MMOs on offer that are f2p. I don't understand the hype/positivity surrounding ESO, the only thing I can put it down to is a desire to play a multiplayer Elder Scrolls game from people who love the franchise. ESO will be a definite miss within my group of friends at least.

This game isn't super amazing, but some of your opinion doesn't make sense....

1. TESO is "generic fantasy": TESO is based on ES lore, if it's "generic fantasy", then all Elder scrolls are "generic fantasy". Of course this game feels different from skyrim, every ES game feels somewhat different. Morrowind feels different, Arena feels different. What do you expect from a Elder Scroll MMO that's not "generic fantasy"? A MMO with flying spaceship and time travelling and giant machine?

2. That's right there's kill X and click Y, so does Skyrim.

3. Yeah, skills are just click+ after you level up, so does Skyrim. You click + HP/MP and use items to learn magic in Skyrim, so original.

4. Speaking of console port, if you don't use mod in Skyrim, it's also console port all over. 

Maybe your only issue is the sub fee, nothing more and nothing less. Everything you complained about this game, skyrim has same issue. It's not all that realistic to expect this game to be THAT different... expecting flying airship and giant robots(or something that's not "generic fantasy"), not to click + for skill up, and don't kill X and click Y in quests, is not very realistic isn't it?

• SimonVDHSimonVDH Member Posts: 178

I haven't played ESO beta at all, but I have to comment on one thing:

Many people say that first impression is very important in MMOs. I think this isn't true at all. AoC had great first impression, SWtOR had great first impression, even TSW was great at the beggining. The thing is, MMOs are not made for 2 hours, for 5 hours or for 15 hours. People won't quit a game like ESO after one day. People will quit after two weeks - one month, if there is nothing that makes them want to keep playing. But it want be becouse of starter zone, or becouse of first 5-10 levels. It will happen, if nothing changes after first 20, 30, 40 hours, if there is nothing to invest in, look forward to, progress towards.

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611

Looks like the standard trends are holding up.

fanboys and people who think this game is awesome no matter how bad it is will continue to support it blindly.

others who see it first hand for themselves are totally underwhelmed and many dont like it at all.

Opinions are opinions and they will vary but the facts are it is as generic a game as you can find, I have said it a dozen times, its a skeleton of an MMO. Will they fill it in? Maybe.

BUT, there are still MAJOR performance issues, and stop with the its a stress test and beta excuses. Its a month from release and they havent changed ANYTHING in the game since November as they have been working non stop trying to fix the log in and loading screen issues. So if they havent updated anything for the stress testers and have really tried ot fix it for the past 3 months what makes people think it will be fixed in 3 weeks?

This game is a disaster. I dotn know how people can think it is anthing else.

Its a month from release, it runs like shit and it doesnt have much of a draw beyond a cut and paste PvP system they borrowed from a couple other games. Plus it costs a subscription.

The more this game gets exposure the more it is exposed.

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    Originally posted by rodarin

fanboys and people who think this game is awesome no matter how bad it is will continue to support it blindly.

others who see it first hand for themselves are totally underwhelmed and many dont like it at all.

Opinions are opinions and they will vary but the facts are it is as generic a game as you can find, I have said it a dozen times, its a skeleton of an MMO. Will they fill it in? Maybe.

BUT, there are still MAJOR performance issues, and stop with the its a stress test and beta excuses. Its a month from release and they havent changed ANYTHING in the game since November as they have been working non stop trying to fix the log in and loading screen issues. So if they havent updated anything for the stress testers and have really tried ot fix it for the past 3 months what makes people think it will be fixed in 3 weeks?

This game is a disaster. I dotn know how people can think it is anthing else.

Its a month from release, it runs like shit and it doesnt have much of a draw beyond a cut and paste PvP system they borrowed from a couple other games. Plus it costs a subscription.

The only standard holding up is opinions like yours where if you like the game and will play it after launch, and you defend all out lies, you are a fanboi.

This game is a disaster? Based on what? It plays better than anything else out there as far as I see it. I'm not talking about animations...so stfu before you post that.

It's FUN! It looks GREAT!!!

What the hell are you on about?

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• CromicaCromica Member UncommonPosts: 657

This time around I am actually enjoying running around the world,questing and crafting.

I did spend about 2hrs in pvp and I honestly would never set foot in there again except to do the pve stuff. Massive zerg fighting and the complete worthlessness of melee characters just is not fun.

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Originally posted by Gestankfaust

The only standard holding up is opinions like yours where if you like the game and will play it after launch, and you defend all out lies, you are a fanboi.

This game is a disaster? Based on what? It plays better than anything else out there as far as I see it. I'm not talking about animations...so stfu before you post that.

The fact that in the 8 or 9 betas I have been invited to they have yet to keep the game up for the whole time without having to take it down for some sort of fix or restart.  The fact that half the people who want to play cant log in, and half the people who are in the game get kicked and they they cant log back in. Which causes even more problems.

If youre willing to buy a game for 80 bucks and then spend 15 bucks a month and have it restarted very few hour to keep it stable and flip a coin on whether you can actually get into the game when you want then go for it.

We can discuss all the other stuff it doesnt have that might be opinion based all you want but there really isnt anything this game offers that some other game doesnt do better. Beta or not, because what you see it what you get at this point.

• timidobservertimidobserver Member UncommonPosts: 246
    Originally posted by Zorgo
    My favorite part was when the OP seemed surprised ESO was a typical fantasy setting.

Yeh I thought that was pretty funny as well. When someone complains about an Elder Scrolls game being in a typical fantasy setting, you should not take their opinion seriously. 

Originally posted by Gestankfaust

The fact that in the 8 or 9 betas I have been invited to they have yet to keep the game up for the whole time without having to take it down for some sort of fix or restart.  The fact that half the people who want to play cant log in, and half the people who are in the game get kicked and they they cant log back in. Which causes even more problems.

If youre willing to buy a game for 80 bucks and then spend 15 bucks a month and have it restarted very few hour to keep it stable and flip a coin on whether you can actually get into the game when you want then go for it.

We can discuss all the other stuff it doesnt have that might be opinion based all you want but there really isnt anything this game offers that some other game doesnt do better. Beta or not, because what you see it what you get at this point.

I've been in 4...they took it down twice in one weekend.....it's beta. Only twice in the four weekends were there really bad problems for me to get it...again, personal experience?

I'm buying it for $60

You obviously have never been in a beta before if you think this = release. Goin back all the way to the terrible WoW beta/release

• CandyCaneNJCandyCaneNJ Member UncommonPosts: 187

>>>>fanpeople<<<< and people who think this game is awesome no matter how bad it is will continue to support it blindly.

I fixed your "fanboy" and changed it to reflect the century we are living in and to counteract those who are afflicted with EOIMD or "Everyone Online Is Male Disease"

Btw, someone who likes something and continues to like it, isn't a fanatic. It is their OPINION and right just like you have your opinion not only about them but the game as well.

I disagree with you but I'm not assuming you are anything or any label. I suggest to try tolerance..

Originally posted by CandyCaneNJ

>>>>fanpeople<<<< and people who think this game is awesome no matter how bad it is will continue to support it blindly.

I fixed your "fanboy" and changed it to reflect the century we are living in and to counteract those who are afflicted with EOIMD or "Everyone Online Is Male Disease"

Btw, someone who likes something and continues to like it, isn't a fanatic. It is their OPINION and right just like you have your opinion not only about them but the game as well.

I disagree with you but I'm not assuming you are anything or any label. I suggest to try tolerance..

^ I Wish more people would understand this

• DauntisDauntis Member UncommonPosts: 600
    I thought it sucked too. I hate when people say you need to play through such and such level or for 20+ hours before judging it. What a load of BS... there is nothing I would do that I didn't enjoy unless I had to for 20 hours.

Help support an artist and gamer who has lost his tools to create and play: http://www.gofundme.com/u63nzcgk

Originally posted by Dauntis
    I thought it sucked too. I hate when people say you need to play through such and such level or for 20+ hours before judging it. What a load of BS... there is nothing I would do that I didn't enjoy unless I had to for 20 hours.

Then you need to play a different genre. If you or anyone hated this in the first few hours, you need to move on to another genre than MMOs. Clearly you have burnt out that interest.

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    Originally posted by adamch29
    Originally posted by Crazy_Stick

Furthermore the game is focused on AV3 PVP. That's their selling point, the thing they feel makes it unique and buy worthy. The other stuff is kind of window dressing for that admitted or not. If you didn't play that aspect of the game then you missed the boat. If AV3 PVP isn't your cup of tea then you might not should be looking at it to begin with.

Would someone care to explain what AV3 PVP is? I did a google search and this thread was the only thing that came up with that term. Obviously he's abreviating something (I hate that unless it's something most people are familiar with). Oh and I know what PVP means, just not sure about the AV3.

I'm playing the beta and think the PVE storyline is good. I haven't seen any PVP, or been introduced in any way, but only at level 6. 

Alliance (Dominion) vs Alliance (Covenant) vs Alliance (Pact) PVP. Some want to call it RVR from their days playing DAOC (Dark Age of Camelot.)  I use AV3 as an abbreviation rather than writing out AVAVA PVP all the time lol. :)

• NiburuNiburu Member UncommonPosts: 402
    Originally posted by mcrippins

Yeah, I don't share your feelings at all. Not sure what your flavor of game is, but it's definitely not this one. Perhaps you went into it expecting everything to be revolutionary. It's not. What it is doing right, is bringing back the elements that most games have quite simply lost. True, meaningful faction PvP. A large open world setting for PvP and PvE. Crafters are important and have a true purpose. I actually like the setting of the world. It's a bit darker than most, and has my type of vibe. Exploration also means something. Talking to NPCs and taking the time to read quests and items around the world can bring you to content others might not discover. There are other things, but I think you get the idea. The perception that a singular MMO is going to revolutionize the industry in multiple facets is kinda crazy at this point.

What you can guarantee is that not every game will be to your liking. Some will like this. Some will like Wildstar. Some will not like either. Personally, I can't stand Wildstar, and I love this game. To each their own.

I had to lol, you call this game OPEN WORLD ? Dude, first of all it has instanced zones. Every player has his own version of the world. Thats why group play is so hard and you miss your friend pretty often because he is in another version of the world.

Crafting is as useless as in other games since you get your items by grinding points of dungeons.

Looks more like that you have forgot how these elements work that most games have lost.

Examples for Open World games with important crafting can be found in the Indie MMORPG's Mortal Online and Darkfall Unholy Wars

• funyahnsfunyahns Member Posts: 315
     The game is dull for about 10 hours from my understanding. I got about 8 hours in starting barrier was just to much so I understand if other people do not get into it.
  • GodOfForbiddenFruitsGodOfForbiddenFruits Member Posts: 52
    Originally posted by NL-Rikkert

So basically you are saying due to your lack of knowledge, interest and patience (as you clearly havent spent a lot of time with the game), this game sucks?

[mod edit]

Exactly. You can think what you want OP, but you are like a spoiled 10 years old kid who has everything and doesn't know what he wants. You said your friends don't like the game because they forgot to choose skill? Yet they find the system too basic? These two doesn't add up. Plus you haven't played enough, few levels is not enough, game starts getting more fun the more you play. I could go on, but I think I will stop here, since even the people who don't like the game for legit reasons would not understand you.

• Covet78Covet78 Member UncommonPosts: 149
    Originally posted by Dancwith

The problems mentioned by the OP are justified.  They are spot on about the menu systems, the combat systems and could even go further with social and UI systems as well.  They are, plain and simply, stiff.  The story could probably immerse me if i didn't have to use a mining pick to work my way through other systems.  

I've seen the PvP videos and they don't honestly look fun or encouraging to be honest.  The tradeskill system is probably the best system they have in game that i have experienced thus far but....... it's lackluster as well.

I mean, I understand that fanboys and such are going to be on the bandwagon, but there isn't anything in ESO that isn't done better by another title.

@ OP - You have to remember. it's titled ESO. the E and S stand for Elder Scrolls. This is an Elder Scrolls game through and through. It's basically Skyrim light with other people running around. There are some grouping required after you get off noobie island, but through and through, this is an mmo for people that like to solo... for people that like elder scrolls games. The pvp is generic, but amusing for a limited time. No reason to do it hardcore. 

I'm level 19 in the beta atm, and from what I read of endgame, using the power of foresight I don't see this game 'keeping' me. But I will buy it and play it for the free month, maybe a 2nd month if I haven't finished exploring everything yet. But other then that, I see no reason really for anyone to keep playing any longer then that unless they play only a few hours a week and still haven't seen anything. 

This is not a game worthy of a sub. Box price I can understand. But once I see everything, there's not going to be any compulsion to keep a sub going. I know people bash on tradition themepark mmo's but at least there is a carrot. Carrot here is pretty much non-existent. 

Games without carrots need a real endgame to keep people subbed. Eve-online does a great job with that. ESO most likely not so much.