Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Am I missing something? [mod edit]

Comments

• poyozopoyozo Member UncommonPosts: 33

I think its a very nice game, but it's not the experience I want to be paying $15 a month for. When I pay $15 for an MMO I want to compete, I want to farm/grind mobs/badges/gold/rep.

ESO online wants me to play an MMO like an Elder Scrolls game, and I'm not going to pay $15 a month for that. If I want an Elder Scrolls experience I will play Skyrim. If I want an MMO experience that costs $15 a month there are far better options, or really just one which is WoW.

• dreamsfadedreamsfade Member UncommonPosts: 339
    Good thing for you OP, your not forced to buy the product. Your lack of knowledge and time spent in the game is not surprising. You staying away will do everyone else a favor.

• vidiotkingvidiotking Member Posts: 587

I too have so far NOT enjoyed my time in ESO. I try just about every AAA mmo that comes out and this one falls on the left side of the bell curve imo. 8 hours in.

- combat seems slow for the 'fps' type of combat it is. TERA does the same 'sort' of combat better, again, imo.

-graphics are ok, but I prefer a more anime feel. FF xiv, aion, tera come to mind.

-quests are your generic mmo fair. Seems to me no one does this right.

-leveling skills, again, nothing stand out.

I am not a big pvp fan, and i have not gotten that far. so i understand that this game is not catered to me. So my 'tilt' as a player is not an advantage here. I do however like to craft, and will keep playing beta to experience more of that.

My first impression has not been good, and as someone else in this thread said earlier, if an mmo is bad in the beginning, it's prolly gonna be bad throughout. And by this I REALLY mean, if an mmo is not to your liking early on , its prolly not gonna be to your liking the whole way.

• fungihoujofungihoujo Member CommonPosts: 2

Why are people saying there is depth to this game?

Skyrim was a shallow, single player game that is greatly simplified compared to others of its ilk (take Witcher for example), and yet it still managed to hit a good balance between a great variety in crafting and combat, a massive world to explore, and there being something amazing and hidden everywhere you go. Simple enough for casual players to enjoy- yet more than enough there to keep you interested.

ESO is so far one of the most dumbed down games I have played- the variety of playstyle has been narrowed into classes, weaponry choices are heavily linked to abilities, the dual wielding possibilities have simply been removed, the skill tree is as sterile as can be for combat purposes, the variability in playstyle within each class is grossly underwhelming.

Playstyle itself has been shunted- range removed from weapons, combat itself is even clunkier than melee in Skyrim was, the game clearly follows a GCD system yet seems to think if it doesn't put the numbers there, nobody will notice. Which is pretty much exactly what the game is trying to do- if we don't give you direction with a map it'll seem deep because we are making it less convenient for the average player to get to where they want to go. If we make you run across the zone every time you want to do something, it'll seem like the game has longevity. If we make most of your combat time spamming the attack button, it'll seem awesome cuz all those games with many hotkeys to press all the time have auto attack which is super lazy, and you just press 2- but spamming your left mouse key is hardcore and epic and DEEP, so DEEP!!

This game is a joke. I don't even think it's worth being f2p- but AAA sub game? Not a chance. "Oh, but the world pvp is fantastic!" Of course it is, because to world pvp nuts- having world pvp instantly makes it fantastic, especially if it's not enjoyable- because enjoyment attracts newblets.

If you're going to make a game based on the world pvp- throw people into it right away. Don't waste our time with ten hours of fetch quests and running- people are saying 'most people who didn't like the game stopped in the first ten hours, so what do they know?' well here's what they know- they just played ten boring hours. First impressions are like gold in everything- why do you think action movies always start with a chase, why criminal dramas start with a suspenseful murder, why books have a prologue to set the scene.

What do we get in TESO? You're breaking from a prison (homage- fair enough), and oh no, a skeleton might come at you... and there's some demons like, standing around outside, though it is hard to tell since those demons are outnumbered 50-1 by all the other escapees. And then ooga booga magic, poof- you're in the real world, start fetching stuff for farmers.

Do this for ten hours. There's very little of interest to explore, crafting is as dumbed down as can be, oh and there is nothing of interest in any of those chests or nooks and crannies. Combat is all short range now, since enemies don't react until you're in their grill and don't call allies to them- everything about the sneaking/archery/caster playstyle that you could use in previous TES games has zero purpose here.

This game has taken Skyrim- and made EVERYTHING about it bland. And I'm not a Skyrim fanboi by any means- I enjoyed Morrowwind, Oblivion, and Skyrim, but only moderately- all three of them blow this game out of the water in every single aspect.

Yes, I get it- you have to do certain things for balance in an mmo... but you should not have to streamline this much to balance your pvp. You don't even have to manually target enemies in this game, that alone makes this game a very shallow (yet apparantly, deep enough for some people here) attempt to make yet another point and click hotkey spammer (or left mouse key spammer).

I don't know why this game can't be played with a controller- because it sure as heck is simplistic enough to be.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by poyozo

I think its a very nice game, but it's not the experience I want to be paying $15 a month for. When I pay $15 for an MMO I want to compete, I want to farm/grind mobs/badges/gold/rep.

ESO online wants me to play an MMO like an Elder Scrolls game, and I'm not going to pay $15 a month for that. If I want an Elder Scrolls experience I will play Skyrim. If I want an MMO experience that costs $15 a month there are far better options, or really just one which is WoW.

Well the problem with the Elder Scrolls single player, is that it would be nice to play it with friends. You can't add any mod for that. I am playing Oblivion right now (I like it as much or more than Skyrim) and will play both it and ESO. 

I love WoW but it isn't a challenge anymore. I'm hoping that ESO is more like Vanilla WoW or TBC as far as difficulty is concerned. The only way to truly find out is to play for a few weeks, and you could do that before your first sub fee.

Good luck to you though!

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• AndraviusAndravius Member UncommonPosts: 82
    Originally posted by Amjoco
     I don't think the "mouse as a game pad" thing is new, since it has been used since about 2002. 

Had may say on this game,but curiosity is getting the better of me.  What mmorpg on the pc used the mouse as a game pad in 2002?  Mouse and keyboard are controllers, but not pads.  I mean how do you hold both the mouse and keyboard in both hands.  You can, but doubt you could game this way.

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

I went into this game with a rather bad attitude.  Hours into it I found myself sighing, or saying aloud that I was bored.  When a few friends came over for different reasons, all I could do was say how bad the game was so far and that I wouldn't play it if they paid me.  Even getting a character to level 15 made me say the same things.  Though I also mentioned to them that it's beta and all that and that I still intend to get myself a level 50 (plus see how the game is with collision detection in PvE, as the controls just seem a bit... off without it so far).

No game has really made me do the above before, and I can't figure out why.  But when I changed classes I started to have a little bit more fun.  In addition, the new faction also made the game a bit more entertaining as well.  I'm still of the persuasion that I wouldn't play the game even if it were free, but I would suggest playing different classes and factions to see if your stance changes.  Also waiting for the next beta when collision is (hopefully) implemented.  There are cases whereby doing such things made for a more enjoyable experience for people.

tldr;  It's not a game for everyone -- don't go in expecting an Elderscrolls experience; switching factions and classes has made the game more enjoyable for many people, and with collision detection being added it might be worth another playthrough.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
    Originally posted by Andravius
     I don't think the "mouse as a game pad" thing is new, since it has been used since about 2002. 

Had may say on this game,but curiosity is getting the better of me.  What mmorpg on the pc used the mouse as a game pad in 2002?  Mouse and keyboard are controllers, but not pads.  I mean how do you hold both the mouse and keyboard in both hands.  You can, but doubt you could game this way.

I thought you were referring to the mouse being used as a device for hitting or blocking with. At least that is what I gathered from you post I was commenting to. Anyway, this system was used in 2002 in Morrowind.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by crasset15

Archery is boring and takes no effort to use, since arrows are infinite and even if you do miss, they will home in on the target.

Wow, didnt expect that. So I assume magic is the same?

Does this game do anything like other Elder Scrolls game?

• 1-8-71-8-7 Member Posts: 74
    Your not missing anything.  It sucks.  Its everquest / world of warcraft / every other mmorpg with the eception of very very few style linear quest bullshit.  It's nothing like skyrim and everything like world of warcraft with a elder scrolls theme.  Lame. 
  • chakalakachakalaka Member UncommonPosts: 291
    If you guys spend more than 2 hours and read through all the dialogue (especially story and racial quests) if you aren't already then I would hope you would have a better time. To me, combat seems very fun and I haven't even experienced weapon swap. Exploration for Skyshards seems very rewarding and interesting. Certain quests can get generic if that's  how you feel about the beginning but at least it's not like 15 generic ones' to collect right? hehe. Anyways, hopefully, if you do get a second chance at the game, you'll enjoy it.

• Originally posted by 1-8-7 Your not missing anything.  It sucks.  Its everquest / world of warcraft / every other mmorpg with the eception of very very few style linear quest bullshit.  It's nothing like skyrim and everything like world of warcraft with a elder scrolls theme.  Lame.   

Except WoW and EQ were actually polished and fun to play. :)

• SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743
    Originally posted by FearU

A couple of friends and I signed up for the beta this weekend to try out ESO. We've been seeing/hearing mixed but generally good things about the game and figured this would be a good opportunity to try before we buy especially given the high cost of it. Our experience with past Elder Scrolls games is mixed, personally I've played Oblivion and Skyrim but my friends range from not played at all to played a little bit.

As you probably see from the title we were left extremely disappointed. The setting is completely generic fantasy and certainly little different to Skyrim although probably far less interesting. The quests are the typical thing you find in MMOs these days and range from killing stuff to clicking a bunch of stuff or avoiding a bunch of stuff while clicking other stuff. The game seems to bring very little innovation to the table and we were bored within a couple of hours.

The menu systems really need some work as well. It took 15 minutes and some googling just to find each other and group up. We would know where to find it next time (there won't be a next time so no worries) but to say the menu system is unintuitive is an understatement.

The skills and abilities system is one of the most generic offerings I've seen in a while. It consists of leveling up, clicking a plus, get some new skill. That's if you remember to do so, 2 of our party forgot about it and spent the first couple of hours spamming 1 and clicking their mouse!

Combat is fairly interesting in that its one of the worse examples I've seen in recent times. It used to be that people screamed "console port!" when confronted with lackluster controls and dumbed down skills, that feeling is written all over this game as well. Its certainly not the worst example but its far from ideal on a PC.

None of us can justify the up front cost + sub on this game when there are far better games already in our libraries and the same generic MMOs on offer that are f2p. I don't understand the hype/positivity surrounding ESO, the only thing I can put it down to is a desire to play a multiplayer Elder Scrolls game from people who love the franchise. ESO will be a definite miss within my group of friends at least.

Yet another player F2P player complaining. So, what else is new :P.

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

Originally posted by Yamota

Archery is boring and takes no effort to use, since arrows are infinite and even if you do miss, they will home in on the target.

Magic works off mana

Originally posted by SwashBuccaneer

Originally posted by 1-8-7 Your not missing anything.  It sucks.  Its everquest / world of warcraft / every other mmorpg with the eception of very very few style linear quest bullshit.  It's nothing like skyrim and everything like world of warcraft with a elder scrolls theme.  Lame.   

Except WoW and EQ were actually polished and fun to play. :)

In beta? No they were not. Even after release they were bugged for weeks.

• GaeluianGaeluian Member UncommonPosts: 114
    I wish they'd raise the sub to $50 per month, or, what ever it takes to keep out the trash.
  • maxjammaxjam Member UncommonPosts: 44

I'm glad I got chance to beta test ESO this weekend as it has now put my mind at rest about getting it at launch.

Its actually a fairly solid game imo - its aiming for a different market than Wildstar or WoW for example.  It feels a bit slow and old school at times but I kinda enjoyed that in a relaxing way. Crafting was also a 'step-up' from recent MMOs I've been playing too.

The UI was very clunky however as was the combat.  And having never played Skyrim et al I found the amount of lore and 'fantasy talk' ingame to be more than a little over-whelming.

Will I be getting this at launch? No.  Will I be getting this if and when it goes f2p?  Doubtful. 

IMO ESO is a solid if uninspiring MMO that will age quickly.  Good luck to anyone that plays it, its just not for me.

• Entropy14Entropy14 Member UncommonPosts: 675
    I agree, why should a game take 10-20 hours to get fun ?? I am in the same boat as a lot of people, played 1 hour, was bored out of my mind, didn't like the feel of the game, the combat or a whole lot, was pretty painful to continue until the game gets fun, so I just quit.
  • YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Magic works off mana

Yes, but do they home into your target?

• Whiplash931Whiplash931 Member Posts: 36
    Originally posted by Thornrage
    Originally posted by Iselin

I'm way beyond trying to change anyone's mind about this game: like it or don't it's all the same to me.

But this OP really stands out as a perfect example of barely scratching the surface of an MMO that takes time get the hang of. The one thing that keeps coming to mind whenever I play is how different from the WOW-formula themepark this game is in just about all respects. It definitely takes you out of your comfort zone and makes you re-learn how to do just about everything.

I bet a lot of people go into it  thinking "Sorcerer... ok, got it... light armor and a staff or 2"... "DK... heavy armor and melee weapons"....or my original archer build: Nightblade with medium armor.... It wasn't until yesterday that I figured out that my favorite archer is an Altmer Lightning Sorcerer wearing medium armor lol.

But hey, if you want to approach it like WOW, get frustrated it, dismiss it, and tell the world that it sucks, that's OK too... but its your loss.

This ^^^^^^^

Maybe the op just didn't have any fun playing the game, hell I know I didn't. To me the game was boring and generic.....but to someone else this may the best thing since sliced bread. IMO if I have to play a game for more than 5-10 hrs just to start having fun then thats a bad thing. Even at low levels a player should have fun playing a game.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Only one thing in this world can catch more flies than honey and this post title is full of it.....what's the point of it? To show a unbiased disposition? Shouldn't surprise me though, dogs rarely stick around to admire their handiwork. Nothing to see here but a bunch of flies buzzing about gorging themselves. And people like me walking by who happen to step in it...

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• marcustmarcust Member UncommonPosts: 495

In my opinion, this is the type of game where you spend a lot of time solo early on, then group up with friends for dungeons, AvA and probably adventure zones.

If someone is coming in with the plan to group with friends from minute one, it doesn't work so well.

ESO is exactly the type of game I want, I want to quietly immerse myself into my ESO "happy place" after a day of work. If I feel like being social I can group up with friends, if I don't then I can lose myself in this game.

The metaphor that comes to mind is this:

When you want to go crazy with your friends, do you go to a bar or to the library? This game is the library, not the bar. However you can consider cyrodiil as the beergarden down the road from the library.

I like my library time. I like a good book. I love this game.

Playing: Darkfall New Dawn (and planning to play Fallout 76)
    Favourite games have included: UO, Lineage2, Darkfall, Lotro, Baldur's Gate, SSX, FF7 and yes the original Wizardry on an Apple IIe

Magic works off mana

Yes, but do they home into your target?

I was referring to the amount of magic. Notice I didn't say magic hones into your target? 

edit: removed arrows. Sorry, I didn't even play around with archery but from what I have heard that is the case. 

• black_ifritblack_ifrit Member Posts: 45
    If this game is to hard for you then move on, but it took me all of 15 minutes to figure everything out. If you READ the tips and listen to what the quest givers say its not hard to learn at all.
  • TalemireTalemire Member UncommonPosts: 839
    Originally posted by FearU

2 of our party forgot about it and spent the first couple of hours spamming 1 and clicking their mouse!

I think I found your problem.

Isaiah 41:10