Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

so what kind of Video Game is NOT considered MMO games?

Comments

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Nobody is going to agree on what a MMO is. So thats why I ask what isn't a MMO. 

A single player game isnt a MMO right? Or is it?,,,

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

wow .. we are at this again?

How about this ... if it is listed here, it is a MMO.

Definitions are arbitrary anyway .. just go with the common usage. Games won't care what you call them, they still play the same.

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,100
    Originally posted by laserit
    1. A massively multiplayer online game. A computer game in which a large number of players can simultaneously interact in a persistent world or can potentially play against a large number of players in matchmaking; A massively multiplayer online role-playing game.

That's the definition I'm going with.

I would recommend taking some english courses over again to understand how the word "massively" interacts with the word "multiplayer". Further more, wtf does a persistent world have to do with an MMO? And even further more, you are basically stating that ANY multiplayer game with matchmaking is an MMO (so basically Quake is an MMO, as is DOOM and Duke Nukem 3D).

So here is a question for you, why did you come to this site? A site clearly labeled MMORPG. It seems you consider any game an MMO.... why not just go to a site like IGN or Gamespot that covers even more games? What makes THIS site special to you? I'd like to know what drew you here as you clearly dont know what an MMO is.

• Ryoshi1Ryoshi1 Member Posts: 139

o boy.. any game with less than 100 players at one given time is not a mmo :D

/thisthread

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,100

I simply don't understand why people with a poor grasp of english think they should be the deciding factor in destroying a descriptor for a genre of games. The words are very clear and are not up for debate. 

Next these very plebs will be arguing that ALL descriptors stand for EVERYTHING. These people are going to start calling a Toyota Tercel a sports car because it too has wheels!!! GENIUS!!!!

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

Since the MMO community , as well as sites like this and massively, along with the industry have decided it was a good reason to change the requirements for a video game to be considered a MMO video game.

The staff here and on other sites have answered this question several times. The inclusion of other games is because they are of interest to their current audience. 

The requirements for consideration for their sites have nothing to do with anyone's requirements, perception, or definition of what constitutes an MMO. 

• create a false fact
    • base the conclusion on it
    • ask others to discuss the conclusion

It fascinates me how well that works on this crowd. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844

Its pretty simple

if 1+1=2 then 2+2=4

if Sim City is MMO then every game = MMO

ask EA for details.

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by PAL-18

Its pretty simple

if 1+1=2 then 2+2=4

if Sim City is MMO then every game = MMO

ask EA for details.

You're evil. image

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• KuuhnKuuhn Member Posts: 41

MMO =/= MMORPG

Too many people cannot swallow this pill these days. 

Far too many people who I know through real life and game life alike automatically assume "They must mean MMORPG when they said MMO" and this is simply not the case anymore. There are so many options of online games to play these days with thousands of other people that it doesn't make sense to have only one definition. And also don't forget that they tacked on the "RPG" at the end for a reason. To fit the correct sub-genre.

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Originally posted by Bossalinie
    Originally posted by Ender4 To me the game has to potentially have 40+ players doing something constructive on screen at the same time (not just sitting in a town hub). GW2 is not really a MMO. MOBA's are not MMOs. RTS are not MMOs. Battlefield is, Planetside is, etc. Some people seem to call any multiplayer game with any online function an MMO though and I think that is just dumb. Path of Exile is not an MMO.
    Because massive is purely subjective and not clearly defined by a specific number, no one will ever be right or wrong on what an MMO is.

Case in point...you picking 40. Was WoW not an MMO when it ditched 40 for 25 or 10 man raids?

40 players can do something constructive in WoW right now so yes it is an MMO. LoL is not an MMO. Diablo 3 is not an MMO. Battlefield is though, you can have a 20 on 20 battle and to me that is close enough to the definition.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    I do believe they've modified the term massively to refer to the "beltline" of the average player of said game, making Pac-Man  a Massively Single Player Game. 

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

Since the MMO community , as well as sites like this and massively, along with the industry have decided it was a good reason to change the requirements for a video game to be considered a MMO video game.

The staff here and on other sites have answered this question several times. The inclusion of other games is because they are of interest to their current audience. 

The requirements for consideration for their sites have nothing to do with anyone's requirements, perception, or definition of what constitutes an MMO. 

• create a false fact

So when is it decided which non MMO appeal to MMO consumer? 

Otherwise why isnt BF3 on this site as well as MAG, and Call of Duty? Those are also massively multiplayer in terms of the number of people that play on the server at any give time, like the new definition of MMO suggest. 

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

A game that does NOT play as a MMO.It is one thing to just add the internet but if the entire game is structure to play solo,it is not a MMO.

We don't call Habbo hotel a MMO,or any other app /game  just because it allows everyone to login to the same server.Gaming goes well beyond the server and world,if  all just soloing then i call that co-op and VERY little of it.

Also the term RP...role playing means you are role playing an adventurer of some sort of class.Unless you are roleplaying a Hermit,that game had better have the proper mechanics to bring players together,after all what is the purpose of giving your game the title of MMORPG if it does not live up to it with it's elements?Sadly the answer is MOST think just because they added the internet their game functions as a MMO and most do NOT until that so called "End game" nonsense.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610
    According to MMORPG.com, any game that has a multiplayer mode can be considered a MMO.
    Originally posted by madazz

I simply don't understand why people with a poor grasp of english think they should be the deciding factor in destroying a descriptor for a genre of games. The words are very clear and are not up for debate. 

What is up for debate, however, is whether those words needed to be used literally. Categorization of stuff changes all the time.

A FPS can have stealth elements, for example, and you don't have to "shoot" all the time. No one minds calling Dishonored a FPS.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

As I see it, a Massive multiplayer online game needs a certain number of players. A game in which you never meet more than the small group you play with like Diablo is not a MMO no matter what.

We could argue exactly how many players a game needs to be massive though, personally I think more than 128 player on the same server at the same enough. That is my opinion but I have a feeling most people would agree that 5 people isn't "massive".

The type of game, the mechanics of the same game does not matter there, even if it is a different thing with a MMORPG game than a MMO. Many eople might argue and say that a MMO also should have a permanent world that always is on but frankly would a gigantic FPS game with 10000 people fighting in the trenches of WW1 be as massive as any MMORPG even if it was just a match.

MMORPGs are MMOs but all MMOs doesn't have to be MMORPGs.

Originally posted by Loke666

We could argue exactly how many players a game needs to be massive though, personally I think more than 128 player on the same server at the same enough. That is my opinion but I have a feeling most people would agree that 5 people isn't "massive".

But it is massive to be able to choose 5 out of millions.

• versulasversulas Member UncommonPosts: 288

If it doesn't have an open and persistent world, it's not an MMO. 

ie. Anything with a lobby to join a match is not open and anything that is 100% instanced can not be persistent

Originally posted by nariusseldon

But it is massive to be able to choose 5 out of millions.

No, it is not since you only interact with 4 other players there at the same time. "Massive" games have massive gameplay.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

• create a false fact

If this thread make it to another page, it will continue as if this post never happened.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Originally posted by versulas

If it doesn't have an open and persistent world, it's not an MMO. 

ie. Anything with a lobby to join a match is not open and anything that is 100% instanced can not be persistent

I think you are confusing MMORPGs with MMOs. 

MMO= Massive multiplayer online (game)

MMORPG = massive multiplaer online roleplaying game

The number of players in the lobby does not make a game massive though, but a game does not need to be persistent to be massive.

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    If any game with an online component and a large player base is an MMO, then why are MOBA's not called MMOBA's? It's simple, because there's nothing "Massive" about them. Just like there's nothing massive about a 10 vs 10 Call of Duty match that's played on a map that is smaller than most true mmo game zones. The first "M" in "MMO" isnt just for show. Without the "Massively" part, then a game isn't an MMO.
  • versulasversulas Member UncommonPosts: 288

I think you are confusing MMORPGs with MMOs. 

MMO= Massive multiplayer online (game)

MMORPG = massive multiplaer online roleplaying game

The number of players in the lobby does not make a game massive though, but a game does not need to be persistent to be massive.

As if removing the last 3 letters of the acronym somehow changes the first... MMOFPS and MMORTS games still take place in a persistent world.

No, it is not since you only interact with 4 other players there at the same time. "Massive" games have massive gameplay.

Since when?

WoW dungeons are 5,10, 25-man. That is hardly massive .. in fact, smaller than even a BF4 game. Ditto for NWO, GW1, DDO, .....

You must think that all words in a label needs to be literal ... just that LoL and D3 are listed here shows that it is not true.

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Since when?

WoW dungeons are 5,10, 25-man. That is hardly massive .. in fact, smaller than even a BF4 game. Ditto for NWO, GW1, DDO, .....

You must think that all words in a label needs to be literal ... just that LoL and D3 are listed here shows that it is not true.

Instanced dungeons are only one part of WoW. You failed to mention the non-instanced zones in which hundreds of players can be in simultaneously.